PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum Land Mgmt

ryeguy99
01-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone is a landman or work in the industry? What are average wages and where do you see the industry in 20 years?

Pacman
01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not sure how it is now, but 10 years ago when I was at the uofC, the petrolium land guys were the ones gettign the jobs right out of school with salaries in the 50k range, while the rest of us were looking forward to applying to jobs that paid much less.

I would only imagine, with the current oil market, that the demand is still high and the compensation is good.

HRD2PLZ
01-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Fort Mac is supposed to be booming for at least another 10 years. My fathers company is working with Suncor on the oil sands and its smoking busy. Our company is supplying a good majority of the stainless steel up there. Everyone in the oil and gas industry is crazy busy right now. My dad was saying most of his fab shop customers are booked until August. Many of them are farming out their work.

R-Audi
01-11-2006, 04:54 PM
My friends that took PLM got jobs immediately after school.. most were recruited from school. I am at a larger O&G Trust in Calgary, and there is defiantely a shortage in the workforce.. many companies are stealing employees from others.. (Once you have some experience)
Salaries are from 40+ starting out..

davidI
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm president of the Petroleum Landman Undergrad Society at the U of C. I'd estimate a 100% hire rate and over $50k starting salary.

Shoot me a PM if oyu have any questions or come introduce yourself at one of our gushers.

R-Audi
01-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by davidI
I'd estimate a 100% hire rate and over $50k starting salary.

I dont know if I would ever say 100% of anything... especially when I know of at least one UofC PLM grad in the past two years that didint get hired by an O&G company out of school! (But I am kinda splitting hairs as he worked somewhere else... ) but my point is saying 100 can be misleading... but you do have an extremely good chance of getting hired before you graduate

davidI
01-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi

I dont know if I would ever say 100% of anything... especially when I know of at least one UofC PLM grad in the past two years that didint get hired by an O&G company out of school! (But I am kinda splitting hairs as he worked somewhere else... ) but my point is saying 100 can be misleading... but you do have an extremely good chance of getting hired before you graduate

Odds are the person told the survey that they were not looking for a job. Every year a survey is done and as far as my knowledge goes the last 2 years there has been a 100% hire rate for people seeking employment. I know last year was 100% hire rate and ~$50k starting salary. Honestly, if you don't get a job through the program you're not trying hard enough. I've met history majors with PLM jobs right now because they're in such demand.

kaput
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM

ryeguy99
01-12-2006, 01:18 AM
I picked up the binders for plm 375 today and it looks like a lot of work, is it expected for us to know everything???

Si_FlyGuy
01-12-2006, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by kaput
Easiest fucking way to get a guaranteed well paying slack job with like a year or less of school. PERIOD.

:werd: