PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Bumpstops?

hoppy2018
01-11-2006, 03:10 PM
In my last thread i had posted that i had rubbing issues with my 17's on my integra which i just installed lowering springs.

In the instructions it said to cut the bumpstops in half but i didnt cut them.

Could this have anything to do with me rubbing every bump i hit?

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by hoppy2018
In my last thread i had posted that i had rubbing issues with my 17's on my integra which i just installed lowering springs.

In the instructions it said to cut the bumpstops in half but i didnt cut them.

Could this have anything to do with me rubbing every bump i hit?

Wouldnt cutting your bumpstops cause your wheels to be able to go futher up into your wheel well on bumps, etc.?

RUQUIKR
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Bump stops just stop the travel of the wheel so it does not hit the wheel well. I cut mine when I dropped my car and I didn;t really cause to much trouble. I touch occasionally but I dropped 3'.

ca2p3r
01-11-2006, 03:21 PM
:werd: my bump stops we're cut in half, and i occasionally touch, dropped 2.8" ... rarely though

hoppy2018
01-11-2006, 03:53 PM
But could the reason for me rubbing all the time be because i didnt cut the bumpstops?

GTS Jeff
01-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Bumpstops are cut so that your shocks are allowed to travel in their full range of motion - so they don't prematurely bottom or top out. If you hit your bumpstops while cornering, your car will handle pretty unpredictably.

That said, cutting your bumpstops will likely result in more rubbing. It sounds like you really didn't do enough research prior to purchasing, so now you're paying the price.

^SkylinE^
01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Your rims are the wrong setup has nothing to do with your bump stops, if anything if you cut your bump stops now you would rub even more.

Bonka
01-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Yep wrong offset for your wheels.

Find out where you're rubbing and get spacers and/or roll your fenders.

hoppy2018
01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Bonka
Yep wrong offset for your wheels.

Find out where you're rubbing and get spacers and/or roll your fenders.

the rims are 40+ offset and the rims are 17x7 205/40/r17 which is all correct for all integras.

What would spacers do? Also where can i get my fenders rolled?

GTS Jeff
01-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Bonka
Find out where you're rubbing That's a good first step. It's easy...just look at the tire and it's usually pretty apparent where it's gettin its rub on.

SilverBoost
01-12-2006, 12:46 AM
I had to cut the bumpstops to install my Eibach prokits on my SPEC. In fact they wouldn't fit correctly if I didn't. Dont' know about your car though. But I'm sure there's a reason that they include that in the instructions, otherwise, what'd be the point?