PDA

View Full Version : How many people do you know who...

89coupe
01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
...try and live the life of a millionaire but are barely scraping by?

LOL...I know so many people who have mortgaged themselves to the limit, lease their vehicles, max their credit cards out and live paycheck to paycheck. Seems to be the norm these days. So sad....LOL.

Or how many people do you know who own a big fucking house in a well to do area and have no fucking furniture inside it?

Seems like people these days are more worried about what others think of them then they do themselves...LOL.

redline
01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
if that is the way they want to live why do you care?:dunno:

89coupe
01-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by redline
if that is the way they want to live why do you care?:dunno:

Curious to know?

Delta
01-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Yeah, they can do that shit,i don't care cuz i'm not gonna be like that. The people i know are pretty smart that way.

Redlyne_mr2
01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah North American society is horrible for that and its only going to get worse. IN the movie Boiller room they called that term Nigger Rich, but to be honest with you see more middle clash white people following those habits more than anyone. I couldnt imagine seeing all of my monthly earnings get pissed away towards a huge mortgage, credit cards, car payments etc. I used to work account receivables for an auto finance company and its so pathetic when you see these guys with $80K trucks who are living paycheque to paycheque, eating microwave diners and hiding from their creditors just so they can impress their redneck friends with their stupid ass truck. Or the housewives who would call in and say they cant make their payments on their stupid SUV because they need to buy their kids X-mas presents. Im perfectly happy with my +10 year old sports cars, a nice modern little place to live in and lots of extra cash to actually live my life and have some fun. In the states its worse though, so many people rent and lease plus if you go Bankrupt its only on your bureau for 3-4 years I beleive where as in Canada its 7 years.

R!zz0
01-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL...I know so many people who have mortgaged themselves to the limit, lease their vehicles, max their credit cards out and live paycheck to paycheck. Seems to be the norm these days. So sad....LOL.

Or how many people do you know who own a big fucking house in a well to do area and have no fucking furniture inside it?

Seems like people these days are more worried about what others think of them then they do themselves...LOL.

Go to Vancouver and you'll see people like that. I bet half the people living in canuckland prolly have debts that they will not be able to ever repay...House, cars and just living the luxury life.
Like i say to people " A gentlemen in the rank but nothing in the bank"

2000_SI
01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Im perfectly happy with my +10 year old sports cars, a nice modern little place to live in and lots of extra cash to actually live my life and have some fun.
:werd:
Its not all about the tangable items in life, but about actually having fun while living...

Lo)2enz0
01-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

Its not all about the tangable items in life, but about actually having fun while living...

well put, I am going to be looking into buying a place in the next 3 years and i don't plan on having to sell my organs for bragging rights.

FatboyTheHungry
01-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0

Go to Vancouver and you'll see people like that. I bet half the people living in canuckland prolly have debts that they will not be able to ever repay...

^^^ :werd: Go to Burnaby and you can spend 500K on a 1/2 duplex that would cost 180K here in Calgary. I used to spend $3000/month for rent when I was working for CGEY in Chicago... Glad I'm outta there.

We are better off here in Calgary, as the cost of living is very modest.

l8braker
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
LOL! I used to work downtown during the summer at an unnamed oil and gas company, and it was interesting to see these guys in their late 20's - early 30's brag and flaunt their "leased" out bmw's, clothes from holt renfrew and their various electronic gizmo's, but when it came time to pay for some Edo at lunchtime, their bank accounts are dry and cc's were declined. Embarassing to say the least.

This guys were legends in their own minds.

78si
01-11-2006, 05:49 PM
These people that max out there credit with houses and cars, are going to be turning over the keys when the interest rates go up.

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 05:53 PM

LOL...I know so many people who have mortgaged themselves to the limit, LEASE THEIR VEHICLES , max their credit cards out and live paycheck to paycheck. Seems to be the norm these days. So sad....LOL.

Some people lease vehicles mainly as a different way of financing a vehicle. Not only are monthly payments less, but if they dont like the vehicle long term, they can just give it back. Whats wrong with that? And who cares how other people live, i couldnt care less how YOU live, nor would i care to comment on it.

To each his own~

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album11/abd.gif

Redlyne_mr2
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

Yeah people dont realize that life isnt about work and selling your life just to brag to your loser neighbours or coworkers stuck in the same rut. I can tell you one thing, the last thing I think about before I die isnt going to be about the good credit rating that I established or all the time I put in working my ass off.

benyl
01-11-2006, 05:56 PM
There were 445, 000 bankruptcies decalred in the US last year. The average credit card debt is $9,000 USD.

People live WAY beyond their means all the time. Stupid.

Once interest rates go up, we might see what we saw in the 80s... houses sold for $1.

Redlyne_mr2
01-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by handsomebassman

Some people lease vehicles mainly as a different way of financing a vehicle. Not only are monthly payments less, but if they dont like the vehicle long term, they can just give it back. Whats wrong with that? And who cares how other people live, i couldnt care less how YOU live, nor would i care to comment on it.

To each his own~

http://packy.dardan.com/walky/albums/album11/abd.gif
Then dont post in this thread, I could care less on threads regarding turboing a cavalier so I dont post in them. There is nothing wrong with leasing, thats not the point of this thread. I have a huge problem with carrying debt so Im an advocate of threads and opinions such as this.

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Then dont post in this thread, I could care less on threads regarding turboing a cavalier so I dont post in them. There is nothing wrong with leasing, thats not the point of this thread. I have a huge problem with carrying debt so Im an advocate of threads and opinions such as this.

Im saying with leasing or financing, your still in debt. Im saying its ignorant for him to include that in his post.

PS. This is a fucking stupid thread.

benyl
01-11-2006, 06:07 PM
The ignorance is on your part. He isn't saying financing or leasing is bad. He is saying not owning your car outright is.

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The ignorance is on your part. He isn't saying financing or leasing is bad. He is saying not owning your car outright is.

Who cares, alot of people dont own alot outride. BFD. Company's that lend money to people, such as banks, credit card companies, etc. all have to make a living. Without people living on borrowed money, people working for lenders would have no job, and we would all have a lower standard of living anyways due to the fact that everyone would have to SAVE up $30000 cash for a car. There is nothing wrong with not owning your car outright.

Like i said. this is dumb.

PS> if this makes you feel anybetter, think of leasing in different terms. THink of it as an extended test drive to see if you actually want the vehicle. Hmm, 3 years payments for a vehicle i end up hating, or 6 years... hmmm. It all depends person to person which they choose.

max_boost
01-11-2006, 06:15 PM
^^^

He's just using leasing as part of his example on how people are stretching themselves to the limits. And you are presuming that he's attacking people who lease, thus missing his original point. :drama:

handsomebassman
01-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^^

He's just using leasing as part of his example on how people are stretching themselves to the limits. And you are presuming that he's attacking people who lease, thus missing his original point. :drama:

Point taken. I did mis-interpret it as an attack on leasers. Sorry bud.

D. Dub
01-11-2006, 06:42 PM

welcome to Calgary

NickGT
01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
It doesn't bother me if people wanna live on the edge. It's their gamble. There's no way I would, but that's me. If I don't have the money in my bank account already, I don't make the purchase. (my mortgage being the exception)

Personally what I drive isn't as important as the fact that it gets me to work and where I live isn't as important as the fact that I have a roof over my head.

You can spend your whole life worrying about what others think of you - personally I gotta say, life is just to short.

benyl
01-11-2006, 07:00 PM
It isn't just Calgary.

It is everywhere you go. California and New York are other primes examples.

szw
01-11-2006, 07:08 PM

Curious to know?

You are obviously more than just 'curious to know'.

FiveFreshFish
01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Your net worth is more important than what you drive.

89coupe
01-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love luxury items just as much as the next person, but I won't allow myself to become so in debt that I can't afford to do anything but pay off my debt just so I can drive a shiny new car and live in a big house.:dunno:

GTS Jeff
01-11-2006, 08:26 PM

99% of people are like that, the word for it is vain. That's why 99% of people are retards and will continually be used and abused by the 1% who know better. Bourgeois>Proletariet. :devil:

A_3
01-11-2006, 08:30 PM
When we were at futureshop buying our new t.v. the sales man told us that most people who purchase the t.v., cable box, and surround sound finance it. I thought that was incredible. Thing such as new t.v.'s, expensive automobiles, and designer clothes are completely dispensable. Yet people are spending there last penny in a ridiculous game of one ups man-ship. Unfortunately this starts early, I have many friends who live at home with steady jobs that are constantly living pay check to pay check. It seems pretty ridiculous, but the North American culture is pretty wacked out right now. We are consuming way beyond our means in all realms, it's just a matter of time until it snaps back.

Once interest rates go up, we might see what we saw in the 80s...

That's what i'm saving up for... :)

replayboy
01-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Im saying with leasing or financing, your still in debt. Im saying its ignorant for him to include that in his post.

beat it then?

lastprodigy
01-11-2006, 09:14 PM
I bet most of the people in Calgary, beyond, and even this thread are like that.....Some people just call it "enjoying life" LOL not me

retro-steve
01-11-2006, 09:55 PM
i think it's all a matter of budgeting...this christmas i admit i went way overboard and spent like $1,500. now i'm a university student with a part time job so this is a lot of money. after i looked at my credit card bill i saw how much money i had, how much money i'm making and then just budgeted accordingly. as of monday i'm only $300 in debt and with my budget i've worked it out that i can still have fun, pay for my gas, food, etc... and be out of debt by the second week in feb.

some people are stupid and live way out of their means but i've learned it's possible to have a very nice lifestyle and minimize debt...i've also learned that some debt is unavoidable and you will experience it, but it's all about how you budget and handle it that makes your life livable.

ninspeed
01-11-2006, 09:59 PM
i learnt a just over a year ago why not to live pay cheque to pay cheque. I had an accident where i was unable to work (hell, do half the things in daily living by me self) for a little while, WCB was shit, and i ran up a huge debt cuas i had no realy money i could access to help me out. (any money i had whould have cost more to pull out that racking up the credit cards)... i just got it under control and am able to start enjoying my self again. I would not have to have waited 1.5 years though had i had just 2000$ saved up.

90s_tuner
01-12-2006, 12:06 AM
going from paycheque to paycheque is rough. If you are leasing and can afford that shit like no worries then so be it. I own 2 cars and a bike, but I want a 3rd on a lease because im not going to keep it forever...

the CC debt thing is crazy though. interest rates are like 18% on CCs. I had a maxed CC for a few months and couldn't stand it. Now that its paid off I can sleep again...

Zephyr
01-12-2006, 12:12 AM
I was doing good until my S13 took a crap on me, now I'm spending an amount that I was gonna use to pay off my finance on my camera. This is gonna set me back a little bit, but I just gotta cut back on everything. But I did keep a safety emergency money in cases like this. Hopefully this year I can clear off all my debts, already knocked out one credit card, just one left.

JordanEG6
01-12-2006, 12:13 AM
North American society:

"People spend money they don't have to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like"

i know tons of people like that. but then again, like stated..its the norm of society and yes, it will only get worse.

pr0
01-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
North American society:

"People spend money they don't have to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like"

I am exactly like this ahahahaha... but not in debt.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by pr0

I am exactly like this ahahahaha... but not in debt.

Hahaha, your sig picture fits well with that statement. :D

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by A_3
When we were at futureshop buying our new t.v. the sales man told us that most people who purchase the t.v., cable box, and surround sound finance it. I thought that was incredible. Thing such as new t.v.'s, expensive automobiles, and designer clothes are completely dispensable. Yet people are spending there last penny in a ridiculous game of one ups man-ship. Unfortunately this starts early, I have many friends who live at home with steady jobs that are constantly living pay check to pay check. It seems pretty ridiculous, but the North American culture is pretty wacked out right now. We are consuming way beyond our means in all realms, it's just a matter of time until it snaps back.

That's what i'm saving up for... :)
Thats f*cking emberassing having to make payments on a tv :rofl:

Xtrema
01-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
North American society:

I don't think this is just North American. It's just human nature.

It's human nature to have ego:

Who has the biggest penis?
Who has the most toys?
Who has the hottest gf/bf?

It's just that credit became a dangerous arsenal in the race.

Too often people treat credit as cash and spend away, and their excuses are always "enjoy life".

403Gemini
01-12-2006, 12:53 PM
There were 445, 000 bankruptcies decalred in the US last year. The average credit card debt is $9,000 USD.

People live WAY beyond their means all the time. Stupid.

Once interest rates go up, we might see what we saw in the 80s... houses sold for $1.

know whats sad? about 80% of the people are living their lives in debt :(

ninjak84
01-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Who cares about other peoples' debt?

My parents are putting me through school, but I have a friend who's doing med school in Texas. His student loans are something like $60-$70k a year, American dollars. Now everyone wants to get high-and-mighty over other peoples' debt?

haha :rofl:

Worry about yourself.

Lexxan
01-12-2006, 01:12 PM

How the fuck is leasing a debt? It's the same as renting a vehicle if you don't buy it out. Some people have a company like myself and it's better to lease for writeoffs.

90s_tuner
01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lexxan

How the fuck is leasing a debt? It's the same as renting a vehicle if you don't buy it out. Some people have a company like myself and it's better to lease for writeoffs.

ya leasing is not debt. companies lease cars all the time... does that mean they are poor? no.

financing kinda is debt though.

Redlyne_mr2
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Again many of you are missing the point of the thread. There is nothing wrong with debt, we need debt in order to increase our borrowing power in the market. The issue is not with debt but instead with morons who overextend themself and spend $4000/month when they only make $3000/month.

A_3
01-12-2006, 02:21 PM
^Agreed, debt is often times neccessary, especially in the business world. The problem isn't with taking on debt with a budget to repay it. The problem is individuals who take on more and more debt to surround themselves with uneeded material possessions with no plan to repay the money.