PDA

View Full Version : Car Bill of Sale (no registration)

nonlinear
01-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi,

I am buying a car from a friend. His name is on the title of the car but he can't seem to find the registration (although he's still looking). I know the car isn't stolen or anything.

I'm not origianlly from Canada and so I'm not familiar with transferring titles, etc. He said he could just draft up a bill of sale and, once we both sign it, the car title can then be transferred into my name.

I have a couple of questions:
1) is a bill of sale a legal was to transfer a title?

2) do I have to then bring this into an office or something to transfer the title? How much would this cost?

3) On the bill of sale, what implications does the listed selling price have? Can I put $1 as the selling price? would this save on title transfer or insurance?

4) do I get to keep the old plates/tabs on the car or do i take them off when i buy it?

thansk

:thumbsup:

BlooDReigN
01-11-2006, 05:55 PM
1) Yes

2)Yes, bring it to an alberta registry office and you can transfer the registration there. But you also need proof of insurance.

3)No implications

4)You need to buy your own plate(s)

nonlinear
01-11-2006, 06:18 PM
OK so actually I can't drive the car until I get insurance, transfer the title, etc., and get new plates? Like if it's parked somewhere I can't drive it to my yard until I get all that stuff?

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

1) is a bill of sale a legal was to transfer a title?

2) do I have to then bring this into an office or something to transfer the title? How much would this cost?

3) On the bill of sale, what implications does the listed selling price have? Can I put $1 as the selling price? would this save on title transfer or insurance?

4) do I get to keep the old plates/tabs on the car or do i take them off when i buy it?

1) Yes

2) Yes. Price varies on whether u need a plate or not, whether you already have a plate and paid registration, etc

3) You can put $1 on the bill of sale. The insurance company has no business asking you what you paid. If they insist, make up a ridiculously high # to piss them off.

4) The plates stay with the owner, not the vehicle.

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
OK so actually I can't drive the car until I get insurance, transfer the title, etc., and get new plates? Like if it's parked somewhere I can't drive it to my yard until I get all that stuff?

LOL no you cannot. If you are caught you will end up paying a $3000+ ticket.

You *must* insure the car even before you register it or drive it anywhere.

nonlinear
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
LOL OK

Weapon_R
01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Are you a U of C staff member/Alumni? I remember reading that you were, in which case Meloche Mennox is awesome. They have an online site.

nonlinear
01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
right on i'll check it out

thnx weapon_r!

3G
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
3) You can put $1 on the bill of sale. The insurance company has no business asking you what you paid. If they insist, make up a ridiculously high # to piss them off.

Fuckers ALWAYS ask me, thats exactly what i do say like double what i really payed

lastprodigy
01-11-2006, 09:01 PM
This seems like such a grey area, I have had my insurance agent tell me that the new car is not insured, whereas a buddy of mine went all the way up to edmonton to pick up a car that he bought and his insurance told him he could use the plate off his old car with the bill of sale and that would be fine. :dunno:

C4S
01-11-2006, 09:50 PM
In here? you can even use a toilet paper as a bill of sale!

As long as not a stolen car, you can still buy insurance, and registrar the car .. ( check the lien )

Unless it is an expensive car .. otherwise, registration office should let you get the plate ...

:) :)

FiveFreshFish
01-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by C4S
you can even use a toilet paper as a bill of sale!

Toilet paper will do, but this is better... :D

http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/pdf/registries/reg3126.pdf