PDA

View Full Version : Buying plymouth LASERs ?

GSR_aaron
01-11-2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.finerides.ca/components/com_hotproperty/img/std/164_nov%20013.jpg

my co-worker is looking for a second car(for commuting),

it should be sporty, cheap, reliable,

so I located couple of plymouth lasers for him.

how are they?

(I know about the performance,, my gsr couldn't beat 92? eagle talon FF turbo :nut: )

I want to know the reliability of 91 laer rs turbo/ 92 laser rs awd

are they exactly same as eagle talons?

how is the reliablity is compared to probe, mx6.. etc?

and last thing is fuel consumption.

he is living very south of calgary, and working around downtown.

is AWD model eats lotsa fuel than FF? or just both are pigs?

I am planning to take him to FineRides at Macleod tr where I located the two cars.

(I heard some bad things about Fast Lane/ Fine Rides,, but in my case, I had a good buy on my GSR.)

ah,, forgot to mention that my co-worker is 40 year old father.

EK 2.0
01-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Reliability and DSM are two words that are rarely used in the same sentence man. Because of the cheapness of the car they usually fall into the hands on punk kids who want cheap speed breakdown and then cannot afford to repair the car the way it should be.

Yes, they are the same as Talon's, FWD to AWD will not really affect the gas milage if driven smartly.

I would advise against the purchase...but by all means go on and check them out. You MIGHT get lucky...:dunno:

Z24_3.1.
01-11-2006, 11:48 PM
i own a laser broke down tranny going to cost 1200$ to fix wouldnt say its a great car but not bad for the time they last if i was him go for a honda!

Arthur Dent
01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
the base 1.8L 4G37 powered one is reliable but quite slow. The others not so much - good cheap speed for those who don't mind riding the bus once and a while and getting their hands dirty.

DSMer4Life
01-13-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, it's the same car as a Talon/Eclipse.

Owning both an 88 MX-6 Turbo and several turbo Talons, I would say reliability is about the same.

With AWD, you want to make sure the transfer case recall has been done. Simply calling the dealer with the VIN will tell you the answer.

And as with any car, if you maintain things like fluids, belts, brakes, axles, etc. it should last just as long as any other car. But as others have mentioned, it's the ones that have been abused that give the rest a bad name.

Of course my opinion is biased! But I can't get enough of them!

95EagleAWD
01-13-2006, 05:22 PM
My Talon hasn't let me down in 2+ years. The DSM maintenance myth strikes again.

If they're in good shape, pick 'em up. They're great cars. Just look after them like you would any other car.

A790
01-13-2006, 06:37 PM
DSM reliability isn't a myth, it's a fact.

Learn from my mistake- STAY AWAY.

nhlfan
01-13-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by DSMer4Life
Yes, it's the same car as a Talon/Eclipse.

Owning both an 88 MX-6 Turbo and several turbo Talons, I would say reliability is about the same.

With AWD, you want to make sure the transfer case recall has been done. Simply calling the dealer with the VIN will tell you the answer.

And as with any car, if you maintain things like fluids, belts, brakes, axles, etc. it should last just as long as any other car. But as others have mentioned, it's the ones that have been abused that give the rest a bad name.

Of course my opinion is biased! But I can't get enough of them!
:werd: good post

the 6 bolt engines dont have many problems, the only issue with them is that people like to beat on them because they are fast and affordable, so make sure youre buying one from a responsible person who has a mechanically sound car.

95EagleAWD
01-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by A790
DSM reliability isn't a myth, it's a fact.

Learn from my mistake- STAY AWAY.

My dad's '91 Talon TSi AWD drove just fine for 14 years before he sold it.

Mine's running great, modded for 2+.

If your DSM was a POS, you didn't maintain it, or bagged the hell out of it. They're no different than any other car.