PDA

View Full Version : Making a dune buggy road legal

Euro_Trash
01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
This new project this summer is to buy a VW-aircooled dune buggy. However, I want to make it road legal as well for some fun summer driving.
The model I am looking at lack fenders, a hood, windshield... basically everything because it is just a frame of tubes. What do I need to put on it to make it road legal, and how do I insure something like this?
Thanks
Dan

Arthur Dent
01-12-2006, 12:33 AM
I think you need a heater and a windshield (to be removed later of course!).

If you can't register it under a VW Beetle then you can apply for a new VIN as a home built. Its $400 or so (ouch). Make sure you've got the VIN of the donor Beetle too as they want to know where the parts came from. Then there is an inspection equivelent to an out of province inspection. I have gone through with it yet but let me know how it goes. I'm building a scratch built Lotus Seven clone.

here's some more info: http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55

Try Baker for insurance.

SilverBoost
01-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Well back east there was an entire club made up of those VW dune buggy style kit cars - forgive my forgetting the proper terminology.

So it's obviously possible to make it work. Try searching on those kind of forums for advice.

Gravy_83
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
Well back east there was an entire club made up of those VW dune buggy style kit cars - forgive my forgetting the proper terminology.

So it's obviously possible to make it work. Try searching on those kind of forums for advice.

silverboost aren't you from moncton?? or lived there for a bit if so how do you like calgary and maybe i'll see ya around I'm going back in februrary

Gravy_83
01-12-2006, 11:50 AM
and my friend built one of those vw buggies and some of those things haul ass like you wouldn't believe. it's a big engine with a bunch of tubes and fiberglass light as fuck and fast as heck

anyone
01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Don't forget signal lights!

Primer_Drift
01-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
This new project this summer is to buy a VW-aircooled dune buggy. However, I want to make it road legal as well for some fun summer driving.
The model I am looking at lack fenders, a hood, windshield... basically everything because it is just a frame of tubes. What do I need to put on it to make it road legal, and how do I insure something like this?
Thanks
Dan

I'm fairly certain you do not need a heater to be road legal, but perhaps a plexiglass windshield would be a good idea.. unless of course you like eating road debris and bugs.

I believe all vehicles require a working horn, muffler, headlights, turn signals, brake lamps and side markers. In case of no fenders, you will also require mudflaps.

Check out the Alberta traffic safety act for the exact requirements of any vehicle on our roads.:thumbsup:

Insurance might be tricky, but as stated it is registered as whatever it is made from. If it is a custom car you can take it to your local police station along with all your reciepts and they will give you a VIN.

Arthur Dent
01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
If it is a custom car you can take it to your local police station along with all your reciepts and they will give you a VIN.

not anymore - its the IBC that does it now. that why it costs $400 now :rolleyes: