PDA

View Full Version : First Car

Dudek
01-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Hey all, been awhile since I've posted anything hahaha. Anyways this time I'm posting for my buddy. He wants to buy his first car but only has about $3,000 to spend. So I was hopping since you guys know your sh*t LoL, you could give me a list of great first cars within his budget. Also it would help alittle if you explain the reason why that would be your car of choice thanks a ton guys and Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Hope it's a good one this year :thumbsup:

s3v3n
01-12-2006, 02:36 AM
i think this topic has probably been covered before, but ill toss in my random 2 cents.

my first car was a late 80s 5spd volvo 240dl. best car ever!
-budget wise, it will leave him with enough of a cushion to actually fix things on the car when they break (or he breaks them).
-rwd made it kinda fun and made it great for learning to drive in the winter
-no abs made sure you understood how to properly brake
-somehow still had enough power to get me into trouble
-big enough to fit all your pals
-really reliable
-solid and safe
-can take a few bumps and hardly show it! very forgiving too
if you cant tell, i really liked this car. it was a great car and taught me a lot. all my friends loved it too haha.

otherwise, if he is looking for something a little more sporty or "cool" :( (not that the volvo isnt super cool and pimp)... maybe look into a 3rd gen prelude? might be a little bit on the edge of the budget, but a nice car. very zippy and fun to drive, handles great, its a honda, and it looks good too. only downside is no love from the aftermarket, but think of how much money he will save not having to buy thousands of dollars of mods!

anyway, just throwing out a couple cars for you to look into further that are sometimes passed over.

Hakkola
01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
I have to agree, my first car was a 1990 Volvo 740GL, you could get it up to 160km/h if you wanted to, very safe, reliable, rwd, cheap to fix. Hell, I TRIED to destroy it and nothing happened, I even put it through a 2 foot snowbank no problem, over curbs etc.

It will NOT die.

handsomebassman
01-12-2006, 05:46 PM
My first, a jeep yj. Dont go this route unless you really like being poor and spending all weekend fixing your truck. Unfortunatly i was one of those people. lol

I tried and tried to test its limits...and have broken them far too many times.

Mr_ET
01-12-2006, 05:49 PM
88-91 civic dx.

good on gas, again enough left over to fix anything that may break.

very reliable, still easy to find, tons of aftermarket support if he plans on modifying.

fun car to driver, good handling.

downside: lot's of them out there, usual rust on the quarter panels, not that much power.

FatboyTheHungry
01-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Civic is a great starter car. for 3K, you might be able to find a 92-95 EG in decent condition.

CryoCarnage
01-12-2006, 06:45 PM
don't go mk3 supra. MONEEEEY PIITTT. and this is one of those botomless ones. not the good pits :D.

R!zz0
01-12-2006, 06:56 PM
My first was 1978 Toyota Corolla which i bought from the auction. I paid $750.00 and drove it home with my friend and took a left turn and my passenger side door came right off. :(

88CRXGUY
01-12-2006, 08:01 PM
My first car was an 88 honda accord limited. It was an awsome car for 2000 bucks, but everytime I went out of town something would want to break..Trying being half way from Calgary and Saskatoon and having your alternator go lol...I think hondas are still the best bet...

iceburns288
01-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
My first was 1978 Toyota Corolla which i bought from the auction. I paid $750.00 and drove it home with my friend and took a left turn and my passenger side door came right off. :(

Damn yo, I was eatin when I read that and laughed:rofl:

Volvos are ALWAYS good cars. Haven't driven or ridden in one I didn't like:thumbsup:

b_t
01-12-2006, 08:34 PM
My first car was a 1973 Chevrolet Nova. It was wicked, it had a 5.7 liter V8, a lot of torque, a 3 speed transmission, 4 doors, rust, a pillow soft suspension, and guzzled $20 of 50 cent gas every other day, but fuck was it ever cool. Only broke down twice in two years and it was super easy to fix anyway. Only cost me $1,000, and it is super-rare since I don't think I've seen one in the few years since I sold mine.

hey I think this is the first time I've ever posted up a pic of that car on beyond! :D

toyboy88
01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
88-90 Accord would be a good bet...one of the most reliable cars my mom has up until we upgraded..barely any problems, great on gas, nicer torque compared to civic and only about $2500! :)

95EagleAWD
01-12-2006, 08:55 PM
1G DSM... faster than a Civic; turbo, AWD... and you can make 'em quicker for cheap.

You can probably get a 90-91 AWD DSM for 3K or so.

Mr_ET
01-12-2006, 09:15 PM
my first car was an 88 accord. It was an eastern car and didnt pass tech here :(

who says a car with massive rust holes on the shock towers is not safe!

sold it for 800$ with 212000kms

sometimes when i see one that looks like it here i wonder if mine is still somewhere around here..

awesome car never broke down and the pop up head lights still worked after 14 years!

JordanEG6
01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
my first car was a 93 Civic. it was reliable, easy to maintain and fuel economic. not only that, there is a WIDE array of aftermarket parts available almost anywhere. Civic parts are usually also less expensive than some. overall, the car was good and if your into modifying it, its a great beginner platform to work with :)

Rocky
01-12-2006, 09:25 PM
My first car was an FC 88 RX-7 (the one I still have). It's been reliable, but it's definitely not a good car for winter. And you can't really mod it like you could a Honda or such. But it's also fun to drive, has an original look, and has been reliable since I got it (minus needing a new radiator). You can get into a non-turbo model for like 2400-4000 I'd say.

For something more practical, grab a cheap Corolla. Gutless, but decent on gas, and not too expensive upfront. Course they're not really tuner cars, but it depends what your'e looking for. I drove a rust'd up (mind you, nice interior) 90 corolla for a while, which was a good little beater for getting around. Sold it for $1k.

3G
01-12-2006, 09:44 PM
88-91 prelude
or 88-89 or 90-91 accord

Gravy_83
01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
had an rx7 for my first car as well. paid 3200 perfect shape never winter driven never broke down i used up the clutch pretty quick and went through 3 pairs of back tires in about 2 weeks. great for a first car guess that makes 2 votes for rx7's

:thumbsup:

lastprodigy
01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
EG civ.....

CryoCarnage
01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
go GC8 subaru. the one i drive now is Awesome. especially for some offroad aherm... :D