PDA

View Full Version : GDL Drivers?

fox
01-13-2006, 10:21 AM
i had my learners for 3 years and drove alot with my mom and then last january i went and took drivers ed and got my GDL and been driving everyday since pretty much near 20,000km mostly in the city, and never been pulled over before or any tickets or a accident, i have a perfect driving record so far.

So from my understanding i have to go back and take another road test basicly anytime now to get my full drivers licence wich only gives me 15 demerits instead of 8?

Who has taken the 2nd road test thing? is it harder the 2nd time?i dont see the point of it i have been driving bymyself for a year and no tickets.

GQBalla
01-13-2006, 01:55 PM
do i search on the advanced road test.

from what people have said its juss a longer test

FiveFreshFish
01-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by fox
So from my understanding i have to go back and take another road test basicly anytime now to get my full drivers licence wich only gives me 15 demerits instead of 8?
Technically, you start with zero and you're allowed to accumulate up to 15 demerits.

lastprodigy
01-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Technically, you start with zero and you're allowed to accumulate up to 15 demerits.

:werd: :rofl: when will people learn?

fox
01-13-2006, 06:20 PM
they told me you have so many demerits and you cant lose them. when will they learn and tell the right info?:nut:

@lchy
01-13-2006, 07:19 PM
I thought you had to wait two years till you could get the full license but I decided not to take it anyway because i don't care about the gdl shit enough to pay $150 bucks.:thumbsdow

fox
01-13-2006, 07:21 PM
just 1 year because my licence expires on my birthday in may. i would actually be happy if it was 2 years so i didnt have to go waste time getting it right now.

arian_ma
01-13-2006, 07:24 PM
you don't HAVE to do anything...

fox
01-13-2006, 07:26 PM
i dont have to do anything if i still want to drive? just in may when it expires go to registerys and pay to get a new card?

yk_
01-13-2006, 10:13 PM
yea you are not required to "upgrade" your gdl license to full license. you can keep your gdl license for life if oyu want.

Police
01-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Both tests are easy, if you can pass the first time with some common sense and not like buying it out or fluking then you will do fine 2 years later. Second test is basically driving around again and merging onto a highway like deerfoot.

chris
01-14-2006, 12:04 AM
is this one like ontario where if you fail, you go back to nothing?

Police
01-14-2006, 12:05 AM
ohh yeah you benefit from not having that stupid curfew anymore and that 0% alcohol tolerance level as a GDL grad.

All this info is on:

www.saferoads.ca (http://www.saferoads.ca)

B20EF
01-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Whats the deal with the new licencing system? Do you have a learners, then this GDL, and then you get your real licence. Do you guys have restrictions of when and where you can drive?

*edit* ^^^ Guess I could just read

liquidboi69
01-14-2006, 05:30 PM
GDL get less demirit points, and you can only have a 0.00 blood alchohol level. Not sure if there's any other restrictions tho.

When I took my GDL test, my instructor told me the test 2 years later was gonna be longer (like 40 mins around there he said,) and was gonna be on a highway.

Edit: Woops I suck at reading the above =\

Police, the site says that GDL doesn't have any curfews. Only class 7 has curfews.

HoisinSauce
01-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
GDL get less demirit points, and you can only have a 0.00 blood alchohol level. Not sure if there's any other restrictions tho.

When I took my GDL test, my instructor told me the test 2 years later was gonna be longer (like 40 mins around there he said,) and was gonna be on a highway.

Once they see student driver on top of your car driving on a highway, they'll stay away from you :rofl:

GQBalla
01-14-2006, 05:51 PM
unless your using your own car^^

arian_ma
01-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Yea GDL has no curfews, only class 7 drivers can't drive from like 12-5.
If you have class 5 GDL, all you get with the advanced road test is like a bit more alcohol tolerance and more demerits
In my case I don't give a shit about either because I am not planning on getting demerits or drinking and driving.

TEAMFaint
01-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Have you recieved your letter in the mail yet? Its actually supposed to be 2 years with your GDL, not 1.
I just recieved my letter in the mail and it states that in 60 days I can take a test for my full licence. The main difference is going to be the amount of demerits, and the alcohol level allowed in your blood.