PDA

View Full Version : Saddleridge...good neighborhood?

Melinda
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to ask a quick opinion of people who live in, near or have friends/family who live in saddleridge in the NE. Is it a good area? Is it hard to get around the city from there? Any feedback that might make it favorable or not so much to people looking to move into the area?

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Melinda

ecstasy_civic
01-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Ive got a few friends that live there, I dont really like the setup of the community, but its a decent area for sure.

Melinda
01-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
Ive got a few friends that live there, I dont really like the setup of the community, but its a decent area for sure.
What dont you like about the setup of the area?

ecstasy_civic
01-13-2006, 03:28 PM
The big ass circle trying to get around to the entrances lol

I just find it annoying, but I guess you get used to it, its pretty close to most major roadways in the NE though.

HRD2PLZ
01-13-2006, 03:30 PM
LOL, the big traffic circle has confused me many-a-times :rofl:

abyss
01-13-2006, 03:33 PM
it is a GIANT traffic circle, could you not just avoid it now by taking 44th/36th north and then 80th east? There's an entrance there too.

Xtrema
01-13-2006, 03:40 PM
That's a bit too close to the airport than I would like. Future expansions may screw property value.

Lex350
01-13-2006, 03:49 PM
It's not an area I would invest my money in....bad city planning around there. The airport is too close. I would look at what the city has planned for future developments in the area. Do some reseach so you don't for example end up with a Slaughter house a few hundred feet from your back yard....or a gas well for that matter. Most people don't look into planning issues before they buy.

FatboyTheHungry
01-13-2006, 03:51 PM
It is a decent area, and it will be even better if 60th St (at the top of the circle) gets extended past 80th Ave to Country Hills Blvd.

Weapon_R
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
bad area. It's far from any major mall and its near the airport.

ORCHID2
01-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

What dont you like about the setup of the area?
THE SETUP THERE IS RIDICLOUSLY RETARDED ITS A MASE TO GET IN THERE AND TO GET OUT, BU THE HOUSES ARE PRETTY DECENT....

Ed the SOHC
01-13-2006, 05:44 PM
(This is just an observation; please don't start a rant)

There is a definite presence of an ethnic majority in that area and it's surrounding areas. I hear it's because there's a major church/temple located in one of the surrounding area. That being said, this could be good or bad depending on view of it.

ricosuave
01-13-2006, 05:48 PM
IIRC the neighborhood is built on a former battery recycling site...

CivicDXR
01-13-2006, 06:15 PM
'cocoabrova' and family live there, hang out there all the time, doesn't look like a bad area to me... but the whole 'ethnic' population is there, there is no doubt about that...

HoisinSauce
01-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
LOL, the big traffic circle has confused me many-a-times :rofl:

same here... i have to slow down at every turn off just to read the damn street signs

1-Bar
01-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Not too bad. There's a shoppers that opened up right in the middle of the circle along with a few retailers. Superstore is right around the corner as well as co-op. There's a wendy's/timmy's opening up by superstore too. The c-train expansion will eventually lead up to saddleridge so it should increase property value due to accomidations....

best reason: lots of other beyonders a hop-skip-and a jump away :thumbsup:

tapout
01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR
'cocoabrova' and family live there, hang out there all the time, doesn't look like a bad area to me... but the whole 'ethnic' population is there, there is no doubt about that... :rofl: :rofl:

tapout
01-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry
It is a decent area, and it will be even better if 60th St (at the top of the circle) gets extended past 80th Ave to Country Hills Blvd. :werd:

Dooms_Bane
01-13-2006, 09:56 PM
woooo i've done a few gutters for the new houses in saddleridge....
i personaly don't think the framers did a good job on the houses
and i hate the set up. it's a pain in the ass..
i would never want to live there
knowning my informations that i get from working on the houses in that area...
i don't think they had good contractors working there in my opinion :)
But their eaves are done nicely :)
haha done by yours personaly HAHAHAHA

R!zz0
01-13-2006, 10:18 PM
my bro live there and it's gonna grow like you wont believe. there is a new school, LRT, something like sportplex is coming there and few other things. buy it now and hold on to it and then sell it when everything is done developing.

googe
01-14-2006, 12:17 AM
its not terrible, but put it this way, houses there dont cost less than comparable houses in other new neighborhoods for no reason

blueToy
01-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to ask a quick opinion of people who live in, near or have friends/family who live in saddleridge in the NE. Is it a good area? Is it hard to get around the city from there? Any feedback that might make it favorable or not so much to people looking to move into the area?

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated!

Melinda

Melinda ,

I've worked in and around that area for a very long time . Is it a good area ?? For what ? What do you think constitutes a ' good ' area ? Crime ? It's so-so . Resale value ? homes do sell quick today , but prices will never get really high as it's no Panorama or Edgemont .
Is it hard to get around ? Absolutely . Traffic is , and will be a nightmare for some time . Not really highly accessible to major arteries that are quick or efficent .The whole area has been haphazardly laid out and developed in phases that may , or may not be considered efficent . Also , to be blunt , it's a lower socio-economic developing area . Cheaper is what you pay , and cheaper is what you get .

Just my 2

robpark
01-14-2006, 01:42 AM
If you ENJOY a 2 hour commute....by all means....

Don't expect the LRT anytime soon.

It is just another cookie cutter development in the middle of nowhere, where all the houses look the same. Any chance of increased value/equity is severely hampered by its geographical distance from the core.

All in all, not a wise investment in my opinion....

Canadian 2.5RS
01-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I live in Saddleridge and I think that most of the comments in this thread are a bunch on bullshit. I have lived here for just over a year and I know for a fact that my house is worth substantially more than I paid for it. I have seen houses go up for sale and have a sold sticker on them less than a week later. I think there is a reason that the houses sell so quickly and real estate agents follow me like the paparazzi

And about the commute thing, I work downtown and I would be surprised if it take me more than a half hour to get to work (i take the train from whitehorn). Last month was a bitch to commute because they are doing the McKnight overpass and the C-train expansion (Both of which have raised the value of my house).

About the ethnicity part, I like the fact that my area is filled with ethnic diversity. It allows for a wider range of shops (mostly yummy food) and for the most part ( I realize that i am speaking in stereotypes or generalities but...) the ethnic groups in my area take far better care of their houses and yards than my fellow Caucasian neighbors.

About the circle, it really isn't bad once you have gotten used to it.

About the city planning or whatever its called, have a look at the facilities and shops that are being built in the area. plus if they build that monster mall in Ballsack (Balzak) then you will be pretty close.

Bottom line is that if you don’t have a lot of money and/or you are just looking for a starter home then it’s not a bad deal. Look at it this way, if you buy and if it turns out that you hate it here you could always sell quickly and probably make a few dollars as well.

jdmakkord
01-14-2006, 01:16 PM
My biggest complaint about the area would be how narrow the roads are, plus no parking at all! Seems every home owner out there owns 2 or 3 cars, and they are all parked out on the street. I guess I was spoiled with roads in my hood that you could have a car parked on either side, plus drive 2 cars down the middle with ease.

/////AMG
01-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Commute isn't bad at all, I used to live in Coral Springs, it took me usually 20 minutes every day to get to 17th ave SW.
And about the airport, it can be a good or a bad thing depending how you look at it.
It actually won't bother you, you'll hear the occasional loud ass plane every now and then, but not often, or you just become used to it.
I think it’s a great place for a first home, and when you sell you will make a lot of $$ from it. Guaranteed.

djfob
01-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
My biggest complaint about the area would be how narrow the roads are

This is the only problem I have also. For how much traffic my road sees it's pretty narrow. Other than that I have no complaints about Saddleridge, neighbours are friendly and let me do whatever I want.

JordanEG6
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
in a quality perspective, its a good place to live and has plenty of room for growth. housing should go up in price by the time its finished. over all its a ncie place, my cousin lives there.

geographically it wouldnt be ideal because is so far from the more central part of the city and shopping areas. and if you work in downtown or the south its a hassle to get there in the morning.

FatboyTheHungry
01-14-2006, 03:36 PM
So far, everyone seems to dislike neighborhoods that are not central, or are close to the airport. For guys like me that have to travel a lot for work, living far away from DT and relatively close to the airport is very desirable.

This opinion is exactly the reverse of what I have experienced in lots of other cities, where close proximity to the airport is grounds for RAISING property value in bedroom communities...

In any event commuting time is sort of moot, since I find that you can get from A to B anywhere in the city in under an hour (except peak periods of course) which I really can't say about too many places of 1 million people or more...

I think this bias against all things in the NE is unwarranted as there are "bad" spots in all parts of the city.

FiveFreshFish
01-15-2006, 01:13 AM
Too far from the mountains. Go west.

googe
01-15-2006, 02:14 AM

I think this bias against all things in the NE is unwarranted as there are "bad" spots in all parts of the city.

when it comes to real estate, it doesnt really matter if its unwarranted. you want to please a large market. the fact that its known that the area doesnt have a great reputation is representative of what the general population thinks, and thats pretty much all that matters.

FatboyTheHungry
01-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by googe

when it comes to real estate, it doesnt really matter if its unwarranted. you want to please a large market. the fact that its known that the area doesnt have a great reputation is representative of what the general population thinks, and thats pretty much all that matters.

I agree completely. Sales and Realty for an area is one thing but the attitude on this forum of "the NE is Ghetto and is a dangerous crack-alley" is too broad of a generalization and is another matter entirely.

EK 2.0
01-15-2006, 02:21 PM
'cocoabrova' and family live there, hang out there all the time, doesn't look like a bad area to me... but the whole 'ethnic' population is there, there is no doubt about that...

agreed...

Phukaduck
01-16-2006, 05:28 PM
This post would have been easier to re write with my caps lock off had my original message not been deleted.

essentially this is the design of saddleridge.
we've submitted phase 3 today.

tictactoe2004
01-16-2006, 06:43 PM

I agree completely. Sales and Realty for an area is one thing but the attitude on this forum of "the NE is Ghetto and is a dangerous crack-alley" is too broad of a generalization and is another matter entirely.

meh, the NE is ghetto and is a dangerous crack alley... dont move there. ;) :poosie:

Xtrema
01-16-2006, 07:02 PM

Why? NE and SE are the only part of the city with heavy industries. Try to find a factory or major distribution point in the west. Heavy industry lower the property value with in turn attract more people/families in the lower income bracket which induces the ghettoness.

It's not like the west doesn't have any ghettos (Bowness come to mind) but the ghetto ratio in the west is probably 10/90 and east is proably 50/50.

Of course, I ain't counting deep SE because ghetto ends when Barlow ends.

hampstor
01-16-2006, 08:41 PM
They already live in the NE... barely. They're just thinking about moving into the DEEP NE :devil:

69cougar
01-16-2006, 08:46 PM

That would make the area there uselss then??

Melinda
01-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
They already live in the NE... barely. They're just thinking about moving into the DEEP NE :devil:
I think we're sticking to the South idea, but it probably wont be for a little while! The market is kinda sucky right now!

Aleks
01-17-2006, 08:07 AM

I think we're sticking to the South idea, but it probably wont be for a little while! The market is kinda sucky right now!

Good choice. :thumbsup:

Moonracer
01-17-2006, 10:17 AM

COME to the south.....the track is down here! But you both knew that.

legendboy
01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
you guys waited too long to buy! you ain't gonna get much for what you want to afford now!

...but it probably wont be for a little while! The market is kinda sucky right now!

wrong move, its only going to get worse. buy now while prices are still "low"

Aleks
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
As harsh as that might sound he is correct. You don't want to wait, but don't rush into something just for the sake of buying, gotta activelly look 18 hours a day and something good will pop up. As bad as the market is now, come spring time every year it goes absolutelly MAD.

Melinda
01-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
you guys waited too long to buy! you ain't gonna get much for what you want to afford now!

wrong move, its only going to get worse. buy now while prices are still "low"

Originally posted by Aleks
As harsh as that might sound he is correct. You don't want to wait, but don't rush into something just for the sake of buying, gotta activelly look 18 hours a day and something good will pop up. As bad as the market is now, come spring time every year it goes absolutelly MAD.
We are looking all day, every day and we have help as well. And we aren't worried about "not being able to get something we can afford" we were approved for substantially more than we'd like to spend, so it isn't about affording it. But we have been looking at lots of houses in our price range, in good areas too.

We have no doubt that we'll be able to find one, we looked at three homes alone yesterday, in our price range. It is possible, but we're not going to rush into it. Article in the paper last week say 75% of home buyers right now are making poor decisions when buying their homes cause they rush into it. We dont wanna be in that statistic.

SikAssR1
01-17-2006, 11:08 AM
What kind of house are you looking for? Bungalow, 2 story, 4 level split, attached garage? EVerybody might be able to help you better if you gave us an idea of what you are looking for? Plus, I am sure there are realtors on here that might have listings that will meet your requirments.:dunno:

Melinda
01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SikAssR1
What kind of house are you looking for? Bungalow, 2 story, 4 level split, attached garage? EVerybody might be able to help you better if you gave us an idea of what you are looking for? Plus, I am sure there are realtors on here that might have listings that will meet your requirments.:dunno:
Looking for a 3 bedroom home with a garage (or enough room in the price to build one) Not overly picky other then that though. Optimistically in a decent area in the south. We have a realtor working for us right now and we've been doing a ton of our own research, it's just a matter of finding the right house.

legendboy
01-17-2006, 02:22 PM
And we aren't worried about "not being able to get something we can afford" we were approved for substantially more than we'd like to spend, so it isn't about affording it.

what i meant was you waited too long. if you guys would have bought when we did, or soon after, you could have got alot more for your money. anything under about 340k is (mostly) crap now at this point (oh and everybody gets approved for a ridiculous amount on a pre aproval)

on another note, there are only about 1100 homes/condos/apts for sale in calgary right now. there normally is around 5500. and it is seriously only going to get worse for the next couple years at least. you have to be ready to jump on something as soon as you find it or you will loose it

Melinda
01-17-2006, 02:26 PM

what i meant was you waited too long. if you guys would have bought when we did, or soon after, you could have got alot more for your money. anything under about 340k is (mostly) crap now at this point (oh and everybody gets approved for a ridiculous amount on a pre aproval)

on another note, there are only about 1100 homes/condos/apts for sale in calgary right now. there normally is around 5500.
Yeah, all of this we know. The real estate market is at an all time low since 1998.

But when you guys bought, we weren't ready to make that kind of commitment together yet. I was barely 20 years old. We didn't even move in together until last june so we were only able to do that after we got engaged, which is now. We're confident we can find what we're looking for, I just wanted to know about the community of Saddle Ridge

googe
01-17-2006, 02:26 PM

anything under about 340k is (mostly) crap now at this point

now thats a horrible exaggeration :P

legendboy
01-17-2006, 02:35 PM

now thats a horrible exaggeration :P

haha ya i suppose i should have put like 280k or something

anyways have a look yourself HERE (http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=20&mp=225000-275000-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&pro=1&ci=calgary&st=&zip=) are all the houses in calgary 225k-275k for sale at the moment, and keep in mind, half of these are probably already sold

Melinda
01-17-2006, 02:44 PM
anyways have a look yourself HERE (http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.aspx?Mode=0&Page=1&vs=1&rlt=&cp=&pt=20&mp=225000-275000-0&mrt=-1-0-0&Beds=0-0&Baths=0-0&f=&ft=all&o=A&of=1&ps=10&ptgid=1&pro=1&ci=calgary&st=&zip=) are all the houses in calgary 225k-275k for sale at the moment, and keep in mind, half of these are probably already sold
Corey, I'm on mls daily, you are talking to me like I know nothing. I know your dad (or uncle) is an agent and that's awesome for you, but trust me, we HAVE been working to get this done. We havent just asked a realtor to work for us and left it at that. While we value the Agent's help, we're working our butts off to find a great house as well. And we know what type of homes and what kind of market we're dealing with.

We know we could get a better home for more money, but we dont believe in going for the MAX that we could get just to have a nice home for 5 years till interest rates go up and we're forced to sell cause it's too expensive. We have a wedding to plan, a future family to think about, and we have no desire to max our allowed debt just to get into some swanky house when we KNOW we'll find something in our range without too much problem. We've found several homes in our price range already. You may think it's impossible, but we've seen and visited quite a few already.

We don't need everyone to educate us on things we already know, I simply asked a question about one neighborhood.

legendboy
01-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Corey, I'm on mls daily...

sorry Melinda, that was meant for googe. i didn't mean to take your thread off topic

if you guys are house shopping i have no doubt your educated about the current situation

69cougar
01-17-2006, 04:22 PM
The best thing you can do though is buy bigger than what you think you will need. Trust me you will grow into the space and paying a little more now will be a lot cheaper than later.

My 2 cents

googe
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar
The best thing you can do though is buy bigger than what you think you will need. Trust me you will grow into the space and paying a little more now will be a lot cheaper than later.

My 2 cents

i disagree. youll spread yourself too thin and youll notice that after a couple years of huge payments on your 25 year amortization and minimum 5% downpayment, your principle hasnt even moved. both ways will cash you in on appreciation, but knocking as much as you can out of the principle will work better because you wont be throwing thousands every month into the furnace that is mortgage interest.

legendboy
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM

i disagree. youll spread yourself too thin and youll notice that after a couple years of huge payments on your 25 year amortization and minimum 5% downpayment, your principle hasnt even moved. both ways will cash you in on appreciation, but knocking as much as you can out of the principle will work better because you wont be throwing thousands every month into the furnace that is mortgage interest.

i disagree, to a point.

you don't want to spread yourself TOO thin, but i say buy the biggest/nicest house you can afford. house size/price/area is all realitive to how much you will make on it. your not going to make squat (well maybe not so applicable now, in calgary) on a small condo or apartment, compaired to how much you will make on a reasonably sized house, over the same amount of time.

like if you make 5k in one year in a condo/apt and i make 50k in appreciation on a nice suburb house in that same year, why worry about intrest paid

sputnik
01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
For me a good thing to consider is to take the maximum mortgage amount you can get from the bank and only use no more than 70% of it.

69cougar
01-17-2006, 04:47 PM

Im not talking $100k difference Im just saying if you are not maxing allready the difference between $260 and say $290 may be worth it.

STi403
01-17-2006, 04:57 PM
how many sq feet u wont. thats also another issue . im seelin my place it has 1500sq feet enough room to build a garge in the back built in 2000 fully landscaped with a deck also have speakers built in ceelin its a former show home in tardale. im planing to list it in april but we could still talk if u were intrested lookin to get 225 000

Melinda
01-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by STi403
how many sq feet u wont. thats also another issue . im seelin my place it has 1500sq feet enough room to build a garge in the back built in 2000 fully landscaped with a deck also have speakers built in ceelin its a former show home in tardale. im planing to list it in april but we could still talk if u were intrested lookin to get 225 000
check PM

max_boost
01-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Check this site out, forget about the MLS :D

http://www.freecalgaryhomesearch.com/

That's what I used when I was house shopping. The site is comprehensive, new listings updated daily, address search etc.

01RedDX
01-17-2006, 05:52 PM

black j
01-17-2006, 08:21 PM
From the mouth of a police officer in the family....

When they do infra red flights over the niegbourhood it lights up like x-mas tree.

In other words - Most popular area in the city for grow ops....

Food for thought.

Xtrema
01-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Check this site out, forget about the MLS :D

http://www.freecalgaryhomesearch.com/

That's what I used when I was house shopping. The site is comprehensive, new listings updated daily, address search etc.

Do you have to sign up as a member to a better search? The standard search reveal the same old data as mls.ca, which is 3 days after.

Xtrema
01-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by 69cougar

My 2 cents

huh?

Bigger = more space you don't need that you still have to paid taxes, heat on.

max_boost
01-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Do you have to sign up as a member to a better search? The standard search reveal the same old data as mls.ca, which is 3 days after. Yes you have to sign up and the realtor will call you to bug you but I just ignore the call.

The one thing I didn't like about the MLS is that it did not list the address of the properties and you couldn't do an address search. It saves a step when I can just get the address, drive by and check it out without having to wait and hear from a realtor. When I was house hunting, I basically did all the work in looking for a place. All my realtor did was schedule viewings after I narrowed down my selections. Because of that I made him give up half of his commissions.:rofl:

Xtrema
01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yes you have to sign up and the realtor will call you to bug you but I just ignore the call.

The one thing I didn't like about the MLS is that it did not list the address of the properties and you couldn't do an address search. It saves a step when I can just get the address, drive by and check it out without having to wait and hear from a realtor. When I was house hunting, I basically did all the work in looking for a place. All my realtor did was schedule viewings after I narrowed down my selections. Because of that I made him give up half of his commissions.:rofl:

Cool. A 0 day MLS access for 30days. Thanks.

If a 0 day MLS access is given out to public, I'm sure the role of a buying agents will vanish.

googe
01-18-2006, 01:57 AM

like if you make 5k in one year in a condo/apt and i make 50k in appreciation on a nice suburb house in that same year, why worry about intrest paid

well that would be a good point if it were true, but condos appreciated more than houses in the past year. i know someone that had their condo increase from 140 to 200 in 2 years and that was before the current jump that the market just saw in the past couple months. it sold in 2 days for asking price, obviously could have got more for it. it appreciated way better than my suburb house did in the same time frame.

googe
01-18-2006, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Try not to listen too much to doomsayers, most people who know anything know that the market is artificially inflated right now, not only will prices stop going up soon, they are poised to take a dive, and the interest rates are about to jump. You do know what happens when the interest rates go up, don't you? Maybe not this year, possibly the next. Don't rush, search wisely, good luck.

hehe you sound like a renter

Weapon_R
01-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Try not to listen too much to doomsayers, most people who know anything know that the market is artificially inflated right now, not only will prices stop going up soon, they are poised to take a dive, and the interest rates are about to jump. You do know what happens when the interest rates go up, don't you? Maybe not this year, possibly the next. Don't rush, search wisely, good luck.

Not gonna happen, so buy now as Calgary isn't getting any smaller or less populated.

janseman
01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Back on topic sort of,
I moved to Taravista last year, I'm right near saddleridge. I find it's pretty ghetto there, I mean the first week I was there I decided to go for a walk around the "water structure" they had built there which is actually a storm water pond. What's the first thing i see when i look in the water?? a shopping cart!! and a bike never mind all the garbage that's floating around. The construction that went on along the street was pretty ghetto too, one day my girlfriend was walking back from the bus stop from work and what does she see?one of the siding contractors taking a leak in the middle of the lot facing traffic!!! this was at 4:00 in the afternoon.

I'm glad I'm moving out of the NE in the summer.

frostyda9
01-18-2006, 07:39 PM
:werd: ^^

I went through the same searching saga, only I was looking for a condo and not a house. I ended up getting a place in McKenzie Towne, and it's been nothing but good.

I would recommend McKenzie, Douglasdale, New Brighton...or any of the other newish deep SE communities, over anything in the NE.

I've worked extensively in all quadrants of the city, and I can say without bias that the NE would be my last choice any day.

69cougar
01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
What price range are you looking to be in?

Melinda
01-18-2006, 11:45 PM
^^ $240,000 and under

Moonracer
01-19-2006, 12:51 AM
the woman and I went and looked at the houses we were looking at in the fall again yesterday. At that time they were from 176k to 225k. Now the same ones are 50k more. :eek: Damn, what to do....

Ven
01-19-2006, 03:06 AM
My GF lives in Saddleridge, her home is extremely nice for its size, and I think the area is really starting to develop. Crossing over the Deerfoot from the NW to the NE is noticable I find, definately a different "feel" between those two areas. I'll never have to wait for a taxi though! :)

69cougar
01-19-2006, 02:28 PM
^^ $240,000 and under

You could get into the nw

bspot
01-19-2006, 03:43 PM

i disagree, to a point.

you don't want to spread yourself TOO thin, but i say buy the biggest/nicest house you can afford. house size/price/area is all realitive to how much you will make on it. your not going to make squat (well maybe not so applicable now, in calgary) on a small condo or apartment, compaired to how much you will make on a reasonably sized house, over the same amount of time.

Like you mentioned, not applicable in Calgary. As of late the Condo market has had bigger increases. As an example, I've been in my condo for 5 months now and its gone up 144% :eek:

Its all about picking your locations....

googe
01-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Like you mentioned, not applicable in Calgary. As of late the Condo market has had bigger increases. As an example, I've been in my condo for 5 months now and its gone up 144% :eek:

Its all about picking your locations....

144% in 5 months? where? thats like going from 150 to 360...

01RedDX
01-19-2006, 05:59 PM

Weapon_R
01-19-2006, 06:10 PM

144% in 5 months? where? thats like going from 150 to 360...

I think he meant 1.44 :)

bspot
01-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I think he meant 1.44 :)

:rofly: yup, my bad :nut:

Its 144% of the old price, 42% increase. Whoops!