PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Civic vs Sentra vs Matrix

addbhp
03-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Looking for a second car for my wife, that needs to be practical, not too expensive, and fairly good on gas. We are likely leasing as after 3 or 4 years I know we'll want something else.

Here are some of my initial thoughts

Civic LX Sedan, Good value, great reliability, kinda plain styling, nice ride good comprimise on practicality 4 doors. (we have two kids and two dogs that are sometimes carried around although not together)

Civic Coupe Si : Same reliability, sportiest of the bunch, best looking of the bunch, a challenge with the back seat, pretty good value

Sentra : Cheaper option than Civic Sedan, but more bland styling, and unknown entity (I've never owned a nissan)

Matrix: Most practical, Great pricing, but not attractive, Hard to say (I'm an Import guy) but I prefer the looks of the Vibe. But the Vide is overpriced compaired to the Matrix.

Do I go with the heart and and get the Civic Coupe Si or let the brain take over and go to the others.:banghead:

G
03-05-2003, 11:20 AM
I would go for the Matrix because I like the style of them. They kindof look like the IS300 Sportcross. Plus you get the reliability of a Toyota. Also, if you have 2 dogs so the hatch comes in real handy. I saw a black one with tinted windows all around a couple of days ago and it looks really nice.

Honda Civics are too plain plus there are so many out there. With the LX Sport you get the 115 hp and 110 Torque, those numbers are really weak and don't appeal to me. I can't help but to see economy car every time I see one no matter what the owner does to it.

Nissan makes great cars too. Out of all these cars, the best bang for the buck is the Sentra. However, you either like or hate the sentra's look and styling. Performance wise the sentra comes out on top.

HK2NR
03-05-2003, 11:23 AM
boo urns to the matrix IMO.. go for the sentra spec v(4 door?? i'm not sure bout that, someone wanna correct me) :D, for sure it's got more power than a civic and from what my dad told me it's roomier than a civic LX :dunno:

G
03-05-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by HK2NR
boo urns to the matrix IMO.. go for the sentra spec v(4 door?? i'm not sure bout that, someone wanna correct me) :D, for sure it's got more power than a civic and from what my dad told me it's roomier than a civic LX :dunno:

The Spec V only comes with 4 doors but it is such a boy racer car. Everyone who has one thinks it's the fastest thing on the road.

addbhp
03-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately the Spec V or R Sentra is out of the price range, I was thinking more the XE or GLE, nothing to racy here...remember it's primarily for my wife who isn't the car person in the family. My son and I battle for that honor.

Also the Civic Coupe Si has a Vtech engine and is rated higher than the Sedan's 115hp, I believe it has 125, not that, that's a big concern. This really isn't a horsepower war.

Anyone own any of these, that can comment or share experiences.TIA

Here's a pix of my son's car.

max_boost
03-05-2003, 11:43 AM
I'm a ricer, go with anything Honda! Honda Rules!

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
have u considered the new sir? its practical (being a hatch), and its a very fun car to drive!

btw, that is a nice paintjob on the aw11

addbhp
03-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the remark on the MR2, unfortunately my son is switching to black to become less of a cop magnet (seeing as he's 16)

Any idea what the price of the Sir Civic hatch is?? Seen very few on the road, and I prefer the looks of the UK version.

Here's another of the aw11

ICEBERG
03-05-2003, 12:00 PM
How about he Ford Focus SVT? I bought my wife the ZX3 and she loves it. It is great for winters.

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by addbhp
Thanks for the remark on the MR2, unfortunately my son is switching to black to become less of a cop magnet (seeing as he's 16)

Any idea what the price of the Sir Civic hatch is?? Seen very few on the road, and I prefer the looks of the UK version.

Here's another of the aw11 actually the sir isnt cheap. when they first came out they were around 27000, but i think they have recently dropped in price.

as for the focus, i wouldnt. good handling, but piss poor powertrain, gearbox, ride quality, and interior....id rather buy an sir and a good set of tires, then it would handle just as well as the svt, except that its a honda.

addbhp
03-05-2003, 12:19 PM
I just read elsewhere the Sir is about 25,500, getting up there, remember this is a Civic still. I did think about the focus, either the ZX5 or one of the sedan's, but always leary of N/A cars.

I did investigate the Proteges, we have already owned a Protege5 when they 1st came out, and loved it, but I think the Civic's are cheaper in a lease. Regular Proteges don't do alot for me, and I'm guessing they're due for a redesign in two years.

I know it will come down to this practicality vs passion decision, but am enjoying all your thoughts.

CRXguy
03-05-2003, 12:19 PM
What is your price range?

What about the Protege5? Styling is top-notch, handles great, and it's actually roomier than my WRX wagon. The only thing I didn't like about it was the lack of power, for me anyways. If that's not a big concern for you, this will be an excellent choice! For a fully equipped model, it should be no more than $24k after it's all said and done.

I still miss my P5. :(

addbhp
03-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Yeah I really liked our Protege 5 as well...may have to revisit their pricing vs the Civic CoupeSi, as those are the two I liked in the looks department. Protege definitely wins in practicality.

I hear you about hp, but I have to remind myself it's for my wife.

Stratus_Power
03-05-2003, 03:10 PM
I say the Matrix is a great little car, very very practical.

T5_X
03-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
I say the Matrix is a great little car, very very practical.

:werd:

Personally though, I think the subie 2.5 TS spanks the pants off of all those cars in almost every department, you thought about that one? Its in your price range, and I'd consider it even more pactical than the matrix.

BTW, that AW11 is tha shit!

Sky
03-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Personally though, I think the subie 2.5 TS spanks the pants off of all those cars in almost every department, you thought about that one? Its in your price range, and I'd consider it even more pactical than the matrix.

BTW, that AW11 is tha shit! [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah check out the Subaru 2.5TS ....really great bang for your buck!:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
03-05-2003, 03:49 PM
The civic tops the bunch.

Great price, great reliability, and best looks in my opinion. My friend has a matrix, it's not a fun car. But the matrix would be my second option, since it possesses the same two first points as the civic.

That.Guy.S30
03-05-2003, 04:05 PM
im buyin a subie 2.5 ts. i really like it.. 23000 g's for standard and not uncludin tax and a 1500 charge for somethin.. 27000 g's for the auto including tax and the 1500 charge..
have you ever considered a lancer?.. its pretty cheap and i heard its pretty decent for the price.. aroudn 2100 g's..

Stratus_Power
03-05-2003, 04:06 PM
actually yeh Lancer aint a bad little car, only like 18k nish ( unless u want the oz edition for your wife... ) i think it looks pretty good inside out

szw
03-05-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by G

The Spec V only comes with 4 doors but it is such a boy racer car. Everyone who has one thinks it's the fastest thing on the road.

damn straight yo!!

anyways i'd just get a civic basemodel with a few options you like. Can't really go wrong. Nothing terribly exciting but you are not looking for that.

szw
03-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately the Spec V or R Sentra is out of the price range, I was thinking more the XE or GLE, nothing to racy here...

Well actually its not out of your price range if you are considering a civic Si, 2.5TS or matrix. In the states, they now have a 2.5LE, which is basically the comfortable sentra (gxe) with automatic, but has the 175hp motor. I believe its available here too, but never checked.

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The civic tops the bunch.

Great price, great reliability, and best looks in my opinion. My friend has a matrix, it's not a fun car. But the matrix would be my second option, since it possesses the same two first points as the civic. are u kidding about civics being priced well?

hjr
03-05-2003, 04:58 PM
Id go with the sentra. But thats personal preference. I just happen to like them the most out of the cars you listed.

Weapon_R
03-05-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
are u kidding about civics being priced well?

Since every 16 year old kid has one, they must be.

Price is relative. Using your analogy, accents and cavaliers are well-priced. But in my opinion, for what you get, a civic is a decently priced vehicle.

girlRACER
03-05-2003, 06:18 PM
I agree, you should consider a Mitsubishi Lancer:

$15,997.00 base ES-model

I think it is an attractive car and has a great price.

http://www.autonet.ca/Images/NewCars/cdn-300/MITSUBISHI%2FLANCER%2F2003%2F4SA%2Ejpg

That.Guy.S30
03-05-2003, 08:59 PM
the one you have there girl racer i think is the oz model.. which is 21 g's without tax.. i believe.. since it has the spoiler on the back.. and becuz of the color

___2PaC___
03-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by G
I would go for the Matrix because I like the style of them. They kindof look like the IS300 Sportcross. Plus you get the reliability of a Toyota. Also, if you have 2 dogs so the hatch comes in real handy. I saw a black one with tinted windows all around a couple of days ago and it looks really nice.

:werd:
If you ask around most people will like the design, it looks alot like the Protege 5, and it'll be perfect for your wiife, since she doesn't care about HP and everyhtin else. I think its a great family car!:hitit:

T5_X
03-05-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by surfertech
the one you have there girl racer i think is the oz model.. which is 21 g's without tax.. i believe.. since it has the spoiler on the back.. and becuz of the color

rip-off!
No performance upgrades at all, cept maybe rims and tires, but for the amt you pay over base, you can put much nicer upgrades on yourself.

I would take a civic, protoge or sentra over the lancer anyday.... evo 8 excluded

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 10:50 PM
i personally dont like the lancers very much. mitsu doesnt have a rep for reliability, and the car feels very cheap, very cavalierish. yes the car does look nice, but thats about it.

szw
03-05-2003, 10:52 PM
lancer looks like crap IMO. however it is cheap....

addbhp
03-06-2003, 07:31 AM
Update for you all.

Drove the Sentra last night, and although well priced, and looks to be well thoughtout, ie Timing chain vs belt, I don't like the seating position. Tilt steering is useless, seat doesn't go back far enough, and knees kept hitting the steering wheel, could never get comfortable. I'm 6-4 by the way. And styling is boring. Actually my wife has now come to the conclusion that all 4 doors in this price range are bland, and she really can't tell the difference.

I personnally can't stand the Lancer, I think it looks cheap, and again very bland....conversely Give me an Evo 8 and I'm the happiest guy out there.

Walked into a Subaru shop, but the Impreza wagon would be on the higher side of our price.

After Nissan, went to Toyota, and drove the Matrix, and much like the Vibe we drove, this is what my wife liked the best. Very good staff, willing to deal (Toyota Red Tag Days), and low and behold we signed up for a lease. Went with black, 5sp and air, 16" rims.

Looks like practicality won here, big factors for us: having just moved into a new home last fall, I'm always running to Home depot for stuff, this vehicle will help with that, I have two 70lbs dogs(see picture), and it was my wife's favorite. Hope she remembers all this when I go shopping:thumbsup:

___2PaC___
03-06-2003, 07:41 AM
Update for you all.

...went to Toyota, and drove the Matrix, and much like the Vibe we drove, this is what my wife liked the best. Very good staff, willing to deal (Toyota Red Tag Days), and low and behold we signed up for a lease. Went with black, 5sp and air, 16" rims...

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Congrats on the new car.

addbhp
03-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Thanks 2Pac, will let everyone know when we take delivery and post some pix.

Now I just have to be patient, save my coin, and plan for getting this for myself....

RC-Cola
03-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Congrats on the new car....

Which model did you go with? I looked at the Matrix when I was buying a new car, really liked them but they could get a XRS for six monthes :( ... I ended up with the Spec V which I'm really happy with and no I know that I'm not the fastest thing on the road, but I'll beat all of the Civic DX's CX's on the road :thumbsup:

addbhp
03-06-2003, 01:53 PM
RC Cola, we went with the base model 5 sp 130 hp, with the package that included Air Conditioning, 16"rims, and keyless entry. Looks like we have to wait less than a week to get the vehicle, so that will be nice. Now if it could just warm up a bit and get this Spring going, life will be great!

Altezza
03-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Good choice and congrats on the new car.

RC-Cola
03-06-2003, 08:51 PM
From what I've seen and read them seem to be great vechicle's. Good luck, not that you need it since it's a Toyota :thumbsup:

RiceCake
03-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Sweet M coupe in the pic there. Good choice on the matrix. We've had Toyota vehicles in my family for years now and damn they're pretty damn reliable. :thumbsup:

T5_X
03-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Congrads. Its rare to be disappointed after buying a toyota :thumbsup:

Pretty good safety ratings, though I wouldn't count on these too much till the offset results come out
http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2191.html
http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2149.html