PDA

View Full Version : Proof that SUVs arent that safe!

kenny
03-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Many people buy SUVs because they feel they are safer... heres a pic to disprove that! :D But... on a more serious note, DAMN! thats gotta hurt

http://www.feuerwehr-in-bild.de/bilder/DSC04568-Internet.jpg

hjr
03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I would say that nothing is safe when up against a tree like that. (especially one of our little crap machine imports!)

That.Guy.S30
03-05-2003, 03:12 PM
ouch is that a jeep cherokee?..

T5_X
03-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Tree - 1
Jeep - 0

I would agree with hjr, unless you're in that giant truck from sparwood, nothing's gonna be a match for that tree. A smaller sports car might have been able to avoid it better though :D

EstoMax
03-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by surfertech

thats a 99 up grand cherokee limited

max

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-05-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by kenny
Many people buy SUVs because they feel they are safer... heres a pic to disprove that! :D But... on a more serious note, DAMN! thats gotta hurt

http://www.feuerwehr-in-bild.de/bilder/DSC04568-Internet.jpg

for all we know he could have been going 180+

mustang
03-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by surfertech

It WAS a jeep grand cherokee at any rate, and he musta been going like a bat out of hell to do that kind of damage. I hope the guy got out okay, but then again I sincerely doubt he did.

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Tree - 1
Jeep - 0

I would agree with hjr, unless you're in that giant truck from sparwood, nothing's gonna be a match for that tree. A smaller sports car might have been able to avoid it better though :D :werd: a car with superior handling, acceleration, and braking is always safer.

hjr
03-05-2003, 05:00 PM
well not nessisarily better acceleration or braking. But definetly a little import car is usually a better handler.

nismodrifter
03-05-2003, 05:02 PM
dood must have been going crazy fast

hjr
03-05-2003, 05:04 PM
I say that because those Grand Cherokee V8s are faster than almost all base model imports around. Im mean sure a Civic SiR is faster but thats not the norm for civics. And braking, they are big vehicles BUT most of the time that is accounted for with the brakes. My dads chevy 2500 stops only slightly worse than my GTX w/ 4 wheel discs (and the jetta stops VERY fast). Its cause the discs and drums are bigger than you head. Much bigger.

Ferio_vti
03-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by hjr
I would say that nothing is safe when up against a tree like that. (especially one of our little crap machine imports!)

Its kinda like a few years back when a Lexus SUV got t-boned on Macleod by a semi. Everyone was say they'd never drive a Lexus cuz its unsafe. Right, like anything else would survive a semi coming at 80+

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
:werd: a car with superior handling, acceleration, and braking is always safer.

No, a smart driver who knows what their limit to controlling a car safely is the safest.
Its like blaming car companies for not making a car safe enough and people are examining what caused the accident. Things like alcohol, loud music, cell phones, etc things that cause people to lose 100% concentration on the road.

GTS Jeff
03-05-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
No, a smart driver who knows what their limit to controlling a car safely is the safest.
Its like blaming car companies for not making a car safe enough and people are examining what caused the accident. Things like alcohol, loud music, cell phones, etc things that cause people to lose 100% concentration on the road. true, but a smart driver will still be safer given a better car.

Dj_Stylz
03-05-2003, 05:31 PM
must have been going fast or drunk or something

___2PaC___
03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Jeeps made SUV's look bad, they have the most accidents outta most SUV's...

T5_X
03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Its like blaming car companies for not making a car safe enough and people are examining what caused the accident. Things like alcohol, loud music, cell phones, etc things that cause people to lose 100% concentration on the road.

That's a whole other argument.
If you were to do an experiment where the driver was a controlled variable, smaller cars would have a big advantage due to better collision avoidance. In the event of an accident, bigger cars aren't necessarily more safe either, because its all about how good a car is at de-accelerating the passengers in a collision. Weight only plays a real advantage in some accidents.

BUT most of the time that is accounted for with the brakes

No, RARELY big vehicles are a match for the stopping distance of small vehicles. Go out and do a test of how much difference there is between stopping distance of you're dad's 2500 and your car, the truck may feel like it is stopping almost as quick, but I'll bet dollars to donuts it isn't. The rear brakes on trucks are almost useless in stopping anyways because there's not much weight over them in the first place, and under hard baking, it gets transferred forward anyways, so why even bother putting 4whl discs on trucks? Oh, and without fwABS (most have rwABS) forget good stopping distance.

Honestly, if it weren't for all the fucking huge SUVs and lifted trucks out there, one of the vehicles I'd feel the safest in is an MR2. The front comparment has no engine, thus front crumple zones may be maximized, it has a great weight bias for stopping and handling, the wieght is over the drive wheels, etc. Only problem is that the tires of some fuckhead in thier enormous lifted SUV can easily end up on top of your head.

There are, however, certainly notable exceptions to the rule that suvs are more dangerous.

hjr
03-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Your probably right. Perhaps mi padre's camión (truck) es un exception. Maybe its cause the discs on the front are literally like 14" (drums on the back BTW) Oh ya, Rear brakes on almost all vehicles do almost nothing. Newer cars should have the bias set to about 80-20 F/R.

Weapon_R
03-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31

Only problem is that the tires of some fuckhead in thier enormous lifted SUV can easily end up on top of your head.

So true. My ex totalled my MR-2 once with a collision with a truck. The hood of the MR-2 ended up underneath the trucks wheels. Scary shit.

ACS-e36
03-05-2003, 07:31 PM
hmm i think a jeeps gotta be goin fukking fast in order to crush it like that...

the tree wins 1 to nothing

98Max
03-05-2003, 07:50 PM
i doubt the d00d got out, cause near as i can tell, that open door u can see is the back door, and the driver door is somewhere hidden in that mangled engine-mess

boi-alien
03-05-2003, 07:55 PM
it's not SUVs being unsafe, it's the driver. no matter what kind of car you got if you take the car past it's limits you're an idiot and you're going to get burned it's as simple as that. you could have the worlds safest car and you'd still see people smashing their cars to oblivion.

T5_X
03-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
it's not SUVs being unsafe, it's the driver.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
true, but a smart driver will still be safer given a better car.

TDA
03-05-2003, 09:57 PM
As far as I'm concerned (plus high school physics),

in terms of CRASH survivably... If you plan to hit a wall, tree or anything otherwise immovable, more weight = bad because the safety cage is much more stressed to stay intact. Crumple zones only provide so much energy dissipation before they are spent.
So a light car with a strong cage and good crumple zones are good for going smack into walls.

if you plan to hit another vehicle or something deformable, (and dont give a fuck about other people) get the biggest baddest heaviest vehicle you can.

Stats indicate that most crashes are single vehicle.

crash avoidance I won't get into...