PDA

View Full Version : Who's ran R compounds for daily driving?

GTS Jeff
01-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I just want to hear your experiences, if you have any, with daily driving R compounds. As I look for replacements for my Kumho 712s, I realize that all tires are about compromise. So I'm thinking, well fuck it, I might as well get some insane grip. I can already imagine the advantages, but what about disadvantages?

I'm kinda thinking of getting the cheapest and longest lasting R compound available...what would that be, Toyo RA1? Advan A032R (hard)? And how are these things in the wet?

kenny
01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
I drove with A032R's (hard) on the street alot when I had the SLK. Grip level is great in both wet and dry but I didn't push too much when it was wet out.

Only thing that did suck was the noise level on the street.

tsi_neal
01-15-2006, 07:21 PM
You couldnt get me to daily drive R's if they were free...

Really the insane wear, high noise, and the constant fight to keep the vehicle in a straight line on uneven roads is only the start.

One of the bigger (biggest?) downfalls is that R's only have a certain number of heat cycles in them before they go off, and when they do go off youll get much better grip out of a top end street tire. So basically if you drive gentle on them youll kill them by heat cycling.

There is also the 'hey look what i can do with these tires' factor that WILL get you in trouble, if not with the cops, when you hit some shitty pavement or gravel. (and dont say you wont drive them hard cuz if you say that you need a severe slap for even considering running R's on the street)

You looking at the toyo's or the advans is about the only 2 tires available that would be durable enough for daily driving, but even then they wont last 1/2 as long as an actual super high end street tire. and then there is the grip of those two tires, it isnt much better than a top end street tire. (and thats before they get heatcycled too many times)

If i was you id look at whatever tires are winning the ST classes in the SCCA and pick up those, they are a bonafied street tire that will last, do well in the rain, not die from heat cycling, and are proven to perform very very well.

And for what its woth kumho 712s are a cheesy tire, compared to a kumhoMX they drive like an all season, and MX's arent even that good anymore.

GTS Jeff
01-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by kenny
I drove with A032R's (hard) on the street alot when I had the SLK. Grip level is great in both wet and dry but I didn't push too much when it was wet out.

Only thing that did suck was the noise level on the street.

Well I can say I'm pretty used to noise and insane vibrations...

Originally posted by tsi_neal

Really the insane wear, high noise, and the constant fight to keep the vehicle in a straight line on uneven roads is only the start.

One of the bigger (biggest?) downfalls is that R's only have a certain number of heat cycles in them before they go off, and when they do go off youll get much better grip out of a top end street tire. So basically if you drive gentle on them youll kill them by heat cycling.

There is also the 'hey look what i can do with these tires' factor that WILL get you in trouble, if not with the cops, when you hit some shitty pavement or gravel. (and dont say you wont drive them hard cuz if you say that you need a severe slap for even considering running R's on the street)

You looking at the toyo's or the advans is about the only 2 tires available that would be durable enough for daily driving, but even then they wont last 1/2 as long as an actual super high end street tire. and then there is the grip of those two tires, it isnt much better than a top end street tire. (and thats before they get heatcycled too many times)

If i was you id look at whatever tires are winning the ST classes in the SCCA and pick up those, they are a bonafied street tire that will last, do well in the rain, not die from heat cycling, and are proven to perform very very well.

And for what its woth kumho 712s are a cheesy tire, compared to a kumhoMX they drive like an all season, and MX's arent even that good anymore.

Hmmm well I am just exploring my options here for getting a ton of grip for street driving. Of course, my main reason for wanting grippier tires is to drive like a bigger dink than I already do...

I hear what you're saying about expensive street tires being similar to entry level R compounds...but what about cost? Would it really be worth it to shell out a million bucks for the top of the line street tires when Toyo RA1s can be had for fairly cheap?

tsi_neal
01-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Well I can say I'm pretty used to noise and insane vibrations...

Hmmm well I am just exploring my options here for getting a ton of grip for street driving. Of course, my main reason for wanting grippier tires is to drive like a bigger dink than I already do...

I hear what you're saying about expensive street tires being similar to entry level R compounds...but what about cost? Would it really be worth it to shell out a million bucks for the top of the line street tires when Toyo RA1s can be had for fairly cheap?

For a given size you will spend more on the toyo's than a kumo MX. Umm i cant really give you an idea for other tires but you wont be saving any significant amount of money for most brands of tire. And then when you wear them out in half the time you really wont save...

And for the record im not about to judge people on the way they drive as long as they are smart about it. Because of course ive never taken a corner hard that wasnt at the track, nor have i gone driving on the street with some R's for shits and giggles :rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-16-2006, 01:29 AM

For a given size you will spend more on the toyo's than a kumo MX. Umm i cant really give you an idea for other tires but you wont be saving any significant amount of money for most brands of tire. And then when you wear them out in half the time you really wont save...

And for the record im not about to judge people on the way they drive as long as they are smart about it. Because of course ive never taken a corner hard that wasnt at the track, nor have i gone driving on the street with some R's for shits and giggles :rofl: True...I never really did consider the heat cycling problem until you mentioned it. I just can't see spending $200/tire on 14" or 15" tires as "worth it", especially when I'll be driving the shit out of them and they won't last longer than a season or 2.

I know my 712s don't offer much grip, but at least I can sleep at night knowing that I can bag the unholy hell out of them and they only cost something like $75/tire.

finboy
01-16-2006, 10:46 AM
i know a guy who ran them on a turbo dodge, don't expect them to last too long on the street if you drive hard :rofl:

b_t
01-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Why not look into Goodyear Eagle F1s... those tires win every comparo they go into, look cool, are really cheap, have great grip (better then Kumho.. which is the most overrated tire manufacturer IMO) and you can get them in like any size you need.

GTS Jeff
01-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Why not look into Goodyear Eagle F1s... those tires win every comparo they go into, look cool, are really cheap, have great grip (better then Kumho.. which is the most overrated tire manufacturer IMO) and you can get them in like any size you need. I know they won the C+D test, are there any other reviews on that tire?

gpomp
01-16-2006, 12:07 PM
goodyear's don't come in 14", jeff

b_t
01-16-2006, 12:10 PM
I know they won the C+D test, are there any other reviews on that tire?

EVO magazine, a big British publication, had a test on them a year and a half ago. They even had R compound Yokohamas I think they were to compare with, and they said that the grip of the R compounds was unapproachable by even the grippiest street tire but the noise was ungodly.

gpomp
01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
is tire noise a big deal? especially for ppl like us who run large diameter (noisy) exhausts?

b_t
01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
is tire noise a big deal? especially for ppl like us who run large diameter (noisy) exhausts?

Tire noise doesn't really bother me since my music is always cranked, but race tires.. as far as noise goes, are a totally different beast.. they are LOUD from inside (imagine driving on rumble strips at 90km/h all the time) and outside the car. Totally an individual preference kind of thing.

Moonracer
01-16-2006, 12:53 PM
What makes them so loud?

rage2
01-16-2006, 01:14 PM

I disagree. Although R's will perform worse after a while, it still rapes the best of street tires. I went through about 8 sets of different tires in 1 summer back in 2003 or 2004 ranging from Kumho's to Toyos to Michellins to A032R's, street and R's, and R's will destroy the best of street tires on the street. Not even a close comparison.

As for wear, the A032R's wear about the same as the Toyo T1-S. I was able to burn through each set in about 2 and a half weeks of street driving, an autocross or two, and a track day.

The noise wasn't much of a problem for me because the SLK was always top down, so windnoise > tirenoise. With the top up though, it's annoying as hell hehe. The buzzing from the tires easily overcomes the audio system, and vibrates the car a bit too.

GTS Jeff
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
goodyear's don't come in 14", jeff

I'm looking for 14" or 15".

Originally posted by rage2
The buzzing from the tires easily overcomes the audio system, and vibrates the car a bit too.

Actually, this has sorta made me rethink the R compounds even more...I tend to do a lot of highway driving between Calgary and Edmonton and to BC too, so I'm starting to think R compounds might be a bit too much for long trips.

rage2
01-16-2006, 07:24 PM
haha ya, I drove to e-town on R compounds. At least it kept me awake.

tsi_neal
01-17-2006, 12:32 AM

I disagree. Although R's will perform worse after a while, it still rapes the best of street tires. I went through about 8 sets of different tires in 1 summer back in 2003 or 2004 ranging from Kumho's to Toyos to Michellins to A032R's, street and R's, and R's will destroy the best of street tires on the street. Not even a close comparison.

And ill have to disagree with your disargeement :D When R's, especially A032Rs, get old they suck. Once they go off they arent as sticky as a good street. There is a set in my basement that have gone off and i swear they are no better than my streets. Ive never ran on toyo's but have heard its a more gradual decline into non stickyness, but that it still happens.

And a guy that i race with had a set of A032R's in similar shape to mine donated to him and he opted to go back to his KumhoMX's for the next solo2. He complained that they just didnt stick, and knowing how mine got near the end i wasnt suprised.

EDIT: I left out the most important part here, most normal people dont wear tires out in 2.5 weeks, and will have a set of R's go off on the street long before they are physically worn out. Well durable R's anyways, as the new breed may last a few hundred km at VERY best, I think the best anyone got last season was 90ish solo2 laps on a set of kumho 710s say ~90km and said they went off after ~70 laps)

Originally posted by b_t

(better then Kumho.. which is the most overrated tire manufacturer IMO)

As for kumho being overratted, they are THE race tire to run if you want to be fast. Definatly the most winning tire in the SCCA. 710's compleatly blew me away when i first tried them, but good luck getting more than a couple hundred KM out of them.

rage2
01-17-2006, 12:43 AM
And ill have to disagree with your disargeement :D When R's, especially A032Rs, get old they suck. Once they go off they arent as sticky as a good street. There is a set in my basement that have gone off and i swear they are no better than my streets. Ive never ran on toyo's but have heard its a more gradual decline into non stickyness, but that it still happens.

And a guy that i race with had a set of A032R's in similar shape to mine donated to him and he opted to go back to his KumhoMX's for the next solo2. He complained that they just didnt stick, and knowing how mine got near the end i wasnt suprised.
Guess our mileage varied. As good as the KumhoMX's were (I have them on my SLK and 944 for street), even worn A032R (hard compound) after tons of heat cycling from daily driving owned them hard, street and track. I still have telemetry data from 03 and 04 showing the difference, and it was huge.

Lucky for me, I logged every lap I ran at race city on a variety of tires to find the right tire for AutoX when I was hardcore hehe.

And for the uneducated:

Kumho V700 > Yoko A032R (soft) > Toyo RA-1 > Yoko A032R (hard)

A032R (hard) are the ONLY tires that work well on the street, everything else wears way too fast.

962 kid
01-17-2006, 12:54 AM

As for kumho being overratted, they are THE race tire to run if you want to be fast. Definatly the most winning tire in the SCCA. 710's compleatly blew me away when i first tried them, but good luck getting more than a couple hundred KM out of them.

he was talking about street tyres there, not the 710s

tsi_neal
01-17-2006, 12:54 AM

Guess our mileage varied. As good as the KumhoMX's were (I have them on my SLK and 944 for street), even worn A032R (hard compound) after tons of heat cycling from daily driving owned them hard, street and track. I still have telemetry data from 03 and 04 showing the difference, and it was huge.

Lucky for me, I logged every lap I ran at race city on a variety of tires to find the right tire for AutoX when I was hardcore hehe.

And for the uneducated:

Kumho V700 > Yoko A032R (soft) > Toyo RA-1 > Yoko A032R (hard)

A032R (hard) are the ONLY tires that work well on the street, everything else wears way too fast.

Somewhat curious but how many second difference on a lap of race city between some worn A032's and the MX's?
Actually ill believe that HOT A032's of any condition will work over a street tire. But I couldnt get them hot enough at a solo2... (and defenatly not on the street)

rage2
01-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Somewhat curious but how many second difference on a lap of race city between some worn A032's and the MX's?
On Kumho MX I was running 1:31s. On A032R's I was running high 1:27's. On RA-1 I clocked my best time of 1:26.4s, all in the SLK. I think I could've done better on the RA-1's, but they were really sensitive to tire pressures, it used up about 70% of the tire before I found the optimal setting. With a fresh tire and a full day, I could probably take a second off that time.

Actually ill believe that HOT A032's of any condition will work over a street tire. But I couldnt get them hot enough at a solo2... (and defenatly not on the street)
The soft A032R's are much easier to get hot. Just spirited cruising on the street will get them going. With the hard compound, takes about 2 or 3 hard corners to get 'em going. Or a 5 min drive down deerfoot. Or 1 huge offramp. You get the idea.

I had no problems with the A032R's (hard) for Solo2. I won my class with that tire and was 2nd or 3rd overall (damn minis lol). My driving style had a lot to do with it too, my first run is always over the limit, so I was all over the place, laying down rubber and heating up the tires (only way to find the limit is to go over it). My 2nd run usually has 1 or 2 mistakes in it. 3rd and 4th run, if I dont make a mistake, I'm very consistent. I think I clocked the same time within hundredths 3x for runs 3 and 4 in 2003. So ya, the tires are optimal hehe.

tirebob
01-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Why don't you check out the Falken Azenis RT 615? It is SCCA approved for street class requirements, has as close to pure R compound grip as you are gonna get without a pure R compound, has decent street manners, and has a 200 treadwear rating so you can actually expect some mileage from them...

http://www.shopcms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&Itemid=69&option=com_phpshop&category_id=a094d00dbdc6060748abbf6cfc38da2f&product_id=304

GTS Jeff
01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by CMSbob
Why don't you check out the Falken Azenis RT 615? It is SCCA approved for street class requirements, has as close to pure R compound grip as you are gonna get without a pure R compound, has decent street manners, and has a 200 treadwear rating so you can actually expect some mileage from them...

http://www.shopcms.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&Itemid=69&option=com_phpshop&category_id=a094d00dbdc6060748abbf6cfc38da2f&product_id=304 Sigh, it is a good option, but I've ran 215s in the past, so I kinda want to try something a little different.

Inthered
01-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Jeff, the 615's are supposed to be better than the old 215's in the rain and maybe better dry traction too. Everyone seems to run them for autocross, without having to go to race tires (R compounds). Always a good tire for all out dry traction.

Another option you could try is the Hankook RS-2. I might buy a set this summer for drifting with. I can't use shit tires anymore (on the back at least), it just isn't as fun. These tires are supposed to kick ass from all the reviews I've read. For a small car like ours, I'm use they would work well.

illeagle
01-19-2006, 08:21 PM
i ran Toyo RA1's for a month last summer before i had to buy new tires cuz it rained for 7 days straight. I Took it as fast as 80km/h after 2 days of pure rain, and it stayed planted to the wet ground. Rain was the only drawback with the RA1's... other than that, i can't think of anything else that would make me think twice about buying another set.. besides the price lol. Other than that, i could not get them to slip... i've tried... belive me. I have power steering and diden't notice any major pulling problems. I bought them used and they lasted alot longer than i thought.

This spring i'd like to buy a set of azenis 615's and see how they perform with the "go-kart" lol..

- 712's suck!! -

iceburns288
01-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't forget you'll piss off everyone you cruise with. I got stuck behind a 348 Challenge on a cruise and the gravel it flung up onto our car was ridiculous. There were little specks on the bumper and windshield from where it had hit the car.

rage, how do you go through 8 sets of tires?:eek:

rage2
01-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
rage, how do you go through 8 sets of tires?:eek:
I was doing a track day every week, and autox every 2. I can easily eat a set of tires on a track day if I drive hard enough.

Redlyne_mr2
01-24-2006, 02:05 PM
get some st615s or Neovas at least then you can use those comfortably on the roads and they might actually last one summer. Kick ass tires.

GTS Jeff
01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
get some st615s or Neovas at least then you can use those comfortably on the roads and they might actually last one summer. Kick ass tires. Where can one buy Advan Neovas?

Redlyne_mr2
01-24-2006, 03:30 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Neova+AD07

My tires or tirecraft can pretty much get anything if youre looking local. As can tunerworks or speedtech

gpomp
01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Where can one buy Advan Neovas?
smallest size is 16...

Redlyne_mr2
01-24-2006, 05:11 PM

smallest size is 16...
Shit thats right...their widths are way overated as well..their 215s fit like 235s

Inthered
01-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Jeff, check it: http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=520

They have the right size for you too.

gpomp
01-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Inthered
Jeff, check it: http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=520

They have the right size for you too.
are those the "fake" neovas?

Inthered
01-28-2006, 08:54 PM
LOL........maybe. They're just an Advan "style". That's all Jeff's looking for anyway.:rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-29-2006, 02:48 AM
hahahaha I was kinda considering RS2s, but I don't really know how they compare to other performance tires. I didn't know they were Neova knockoffs haha.