PDA

View Full Version : Put CF Hood on now? Or wait until spring / roads clear?

ThE tV 8 mE
01-15-2006, 08:38 PM
okay, so I came back to my car the other night, and there was a HUGE dent in my hood pushing all the way down to the engine, and a bunch of bumps in the fenders. I've talked to the bodyshop, and they will replace the hood with a VIS racing CF hood and ofcourse fix the fenders.

Now, I live in BC. This year we havn't had much of any snow, although I do like to goto the ski hill where there is still quite a lot. My worry is that if I put it on, it'll get wrecked from rock chips. But, other's have said not to worry, CF is strong enough? Suggestions?

dieselpower91
01-15-2006, 08:47 PM
why bother risking it? I would leave it off until the roads are cleaned.

Weapon_R
01-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Why bother hiding it? If you bought it, use it.

ninjak84
01-15-2006, 08:53 PM
The roads in Kelowna are always pretty clean... you guys don't use rocks during winter like other cities do.
I don't think you have anything to worry about if you throw it on.

ThE tV 8 mE
01-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
The roads in Kelowna are always pretty clean... you guys don't use rocks during winter like other cities do.
I don't think you have anything to worry about if you throw it on.

yea, but they do on the way to Big White (ski hill)

and there are still quite a few rocks on the road now compared to summer as they do use rocks in some areas (otherwise I prolly wouldn't see street sweepers out in the spring :P)

DelSoln
01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
You know you want to. You're only making this thread to ask for permission. :P

WWJAI
01-15-2006, 08:57 PM
I say...do it if you feel like it!
Your car = your choice with w/e you want to do with it.

arian_ma
01-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Your car is going to be dirty and stock and ugly all winter anyways.
Might as well save all the goodies for the summer and make it that much nicer. :D

ThE tV 8 mE
01-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by DelSoln
You know you want to. You're only making this thread to ask for permission. :P

haha...no no! I wanted to leave it off until the roads are cleared, but most people I've talked to have said that I should do it right away..cuz CF is so strong it'll just bounce right of or some shit

Mr_John
01-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by ThE tV 8 mE

haha...no no! I wanted to leave it off until the roads are cleared, but most people I've talked to have said that I should do it right away..cuz CF is so strong it'll just bounce right of or some shit

i think some cf hoods are extremely strong
but i know that there are a lot of crappy cf hoods that would probably bust

freakin
01-15-2006, 10:18 PM
You're going to get rock chips all over it....your call. Calgary's brutal with all of the gravel on the roads.

JAYMEZ
01-15-2006, 10:34 PM
I take my CF off every winter.... if it gets really really cold , cf can be very bad to have on... Also why risk getting dents and such from winter...

Crappy winter = Crappy parts
Nice summer = Nice parts.

tapout
01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Dont put it on

pulse_crx
01-15-2006, 11:25 PM
i've driven with a cf hood in the winter. Its NO GOOD>
First off, youll start to get rock chips in the clear, which take away from the brand new feeling of having a brand new hood,
Next, there is the possibility of cracks. I dont know if anyone else has experienced this, but I have.
I had the VIS CF hood, and from what I believe, going from my heated garage, to cold outside, plus your warm engine, then back and forth in between heat, caused my hood to crack. It looked like it was only in the clear top coat, not the actual CF. But the crack was over 12" long, and clearly noticable.

In the end, its up to you. I say keep it off till spring, just try and find another oem one for now, unless you can still use the dented one.

FiveFreshFish
01-15-2006, 11:32 PM
So if you put it on during the summer, what happens when NEXT winter rolls around?

ThE tV 8 mE
01-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
So if you put it on during the summer, what happens when NEXT winter rolls around?

I'll be selling the car this summer actually, so that's really for the next owner to worry about, but I will keep the stock dented hood to give him if he wants.

FiveFreshFish
01-15-2006, 11:37 PM
In that case, wait for summer.

DelSoln
01-16-2006, 01:24 AM
By the way ThE tV 8 mE I can get you a stock black del sol hood for quite cheap so you won't have to roll around in a dented one. Let me know if you're interested.

AllGoNoShow
01-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Leave it off, why ruin such an expensive replacement?

sullygully
01-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Leave if off. You might not damage the CF, but you will for sure damage the clear coat. Theres no point in it. Plus it takes minutes to swap them

snatch
01-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Hey man i have mine on and its fine. I don't even get rock chips. I suggest getting it 3M taped for around $100 and you won't have to worry it at all.

civicsi403
02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
My buddy has a sol with a CF hood. Runs it all year, and he's got alot of lil rock chips and blemish' s in the clear. Why risk it, keep the good for spring.