PDA

View Full Version : Afghan landmine explosion injures 3 Cdn. soldiers (Thanks to the G-Class)

/////AMG
01-16-2006, 05:49 AM
what a beast!

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051212/canadian_soldiers_afghanistan_051212

More pics here with article: http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051212/canadian_soldiers_afghanistan_051212/20051212?hub=CTVNewsAt11

Toms-SC
01-16-2006, 09:16 AM
1 Canadian is dead, you know that right?

AllGoNoShow
01-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Wierd how the online sites haven't put in the 1 dead but the news did? Or did I miss it somewhere.

dj_honda
01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I think that was in the suicide bombing yesterday. The link he posted is a roadside landmine, and all 4 people suffered non life threatening injuries.

EDIT:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060116/afghanistan_update_060116/20060116/

/////AMG
01-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

I thought I was on your ignore list? :confused: :)
and obviously you didn't read this article, no Canadians died in this explosion. It was from December, thanks though!

Toms-SC
01-16-2006, 11:39 AM
The G-class really came in handy here I guess:
http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=b5a5a405-9996-4385-a72c-b4bcba7f233c&k=57522

/////AMG
01-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Actually it did.

R!zz0
01-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Calgary Sun:

OTTAWA -- A suicide attacker detonated a car bomb in the middle of a Canadian military convoy in Afghanistan yesterday, killing the region's senior Foreign Affairs officer and wounding three Canadian soldiers.

Defence Department officials identified the dead man as Glyn Berry, 59, a political director posted with the 250-member provincial reconstruction team which is conducting liaison and humanitarian work around Kandahar.

Three Canadian soldiers were wounded in the blast -- Pte. William Edward Salikin of 3rd Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey of 1 Combat Engineer Regiment and Master Cpl. Paul Franklin of 1 Field Ambulance, said Lt.-Gen. Marc Dumais.

Bailey and Franklin are from Edmonton, while Salikin is from Grand Forks, B.C.

Two of the three were in critical condition with life-threatening injuries, Dumais said.

They were expected to be flown to a U.S. military hospital in Germany as soon as they could be moved.

"On behalf of the government of Canada and all Canadians, I would like to express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Glyn Berry," Prime Minister Paul Martin said.

Berry, who was born in Britain, had served with Foreign Affairs since 1977 before giving his life in what the prime minister called "the pursuit of peace and stability."

He had most recently served as head of the political section of Canada's mission at the UN in New York.

The Canadians were returning to base in enclosed armoured Mercedes jeeps, known as G-Wagons, from a meeting with local leaders. They were about 1 km southeast of Kandahar when the bomb exploded.

The attack occurred as the convoy approached a crowded bus stop on the main road to the camp about 1:30 p.m. local time, or 1 a.m. Calgary time.

A U.S. army helicopter flew the dead and wounded to the local base hospital.

A second Canadian vehicle was damaged but no other Canadians were hurt. Nine Canadians have been killed in Afghanistan since 2002.

Witnesses said at least two Afghan civilians were killed and 10 wounded.

Kandahar shopkeeper Rahim Gul, who saw the attack, said a sedan blew up as it was passing the convoy.

"The explosion was so big it destroyed one jeep and blew it totally to the other side of the road," he said.

Another witness said a taxi swerved into the convoy and blew up.

Col. Steve Noonan, head of Task Force Afghanistan, said the Canadians, who have disabled potential attackers with gunfire before, had no time to fire on the vehicle or try to prevent the attack.

"They did not see the attacker and they did not have time to react," Noonan said. They knew they were being attacked "when the bomb exploded."

A purported Taliban spokesman, Qari Mohammed Yousaf, claimed responsibility, warning "these attacks will continue for a long time."

There have been about 25 suicide bombings in four months in Afghanistan -- a relatively new tactic for Afghan militants and one that has reinforced fears the country may see more assaults modelled on those in Iraq.

The fighting normally eases during the winter, but the recent attacks point to a possible new strategy being used by pro-Taliban forces.

"There has been a change in tactics from the anti-coalition militia because they were not successful in their previous tactics," said Noonan. "We are reasonably comfortable that our reaction to this one will be just as successful ... as the previous campaign."

Canada has about 650 troops in Afghanistan, nearly all in Kandahar. Ottawa plans to increase the Canadian military presence in Kandahar to 2,000 next month. The reconstruction team and the main battle group are slated to receive about 43 new Nyala mine-resistant vehicles. Dumais said there is no way to know if they would have made a difference in yesterday's attack.

Canadian officials have spoken about the dangers the troops face in the volatile southern region of Afghanistan and warned the public to expect casualties.

The recent string of suicide attacks is happening four years after the U.S.-led coalition ousted the radical Taliban regime from power in Afghanistan for hosting Osama bin Laden, the al-Qaida leader believed to be the mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S.

Violence across southern and eastern Afghanistan spiked last year, killing about 1,600 people, the most since 2001.

- - -

DEATH TOLL CONTINUES TO CLIMB

A chronology of Canadians killed and wounded in Afghanistan since 2002 (totalling nine killed, 26 wounded):

* April 17, 2002: Four soldiers killed and eight wounded by friendly fire after U.S. fighter jet bombs training exercise near Kandahar.

* Oct. 2, 2003: Two soldiers killed and three wounded when their jeep strikes at least two anti-tank mines on a goat track near Kabul.

* Jan. 27, 2004: One soldier killed and three wounded when a suicide bomber detonates mortars next to their jeep in Kabul.

* Sept. 15, 2005: Two soldiers wounded when a roadside bomb goes off next to their armoured patrol in Kabul.

* Nov. 24: One soldier killed and four injured when their armoured vehicle rolls over trying to avoid a collision 45 km northeast of Kandahar.

* Dec. 4-6: Three special forces troops wounded during two battles in which 22 suspected militants are killed by coalition forces near Kandahar.

* Jan. 15, 2006: Canada's senior Foreign Affairs officer killed in southern Afghanistan and three soldiers wounded by vehicle-borne suicide bomber.

Vagabond142
01-16-2006, 02:30 PM
You guys have to realize the strength of the G-Wagon. If that had been an ILTIS, we would have a lot more body bags than we already do from those two blasts. The G-Wagon is the best investment Canada could have made, in my opinion, towards armored patrolling and local transport. They are better, per vehicle armoring, than a humvee. They can also be fitted with ballistic armor that can stop everything up to and including .50cal AP rounds. A sabot round from a turret or SMRL will still take one out, but then again, you're getting to the 100mm+ calibers there, which are designed to destroy TANKS.

89coupe
01-17-2006, 10:56 AM
My cousin was one of the soldiers hit...William Salikan. Crazy, such a small world.

Toms-SC
01-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My cousin was one of the soldiers hit...William Salikan. Crazy, such a small world.

Send him by wishes Brad

01RedDX
01-17-2006, 01:15 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
01-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Wow, what are the chances? Best wishes to your cousin, I'm sure the whole country is hoping he has a swift recovery.

89coupe
01-17-2006, 04:16 PM
To be honest, I barely know him. I only found out when my Mom called me to let me know.

I only know him as a little kid, much younger then me.