PDA

View Full Version : What Bike is Best?

XxIntegra_BoixX
03-05-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey wassup ladies and gents? I'm planning to buy a bike this summer, but i'm not sure what to get. I'll be new at this whole thing, so what would be the best suggested bike for a newbie. I was thinking something on the lines of a Honda CBR 600? Hows that bike for a newbie? And is the speed and handling alrite?

Thanxs Nelly.

dogstar
03-05-2003, 10:19 PM
depends on your skill and maturity (no offence, but ive seen to many babies killed)

have you taken the rider training courses?

do you actually like riding?

until you can definitely answer yes to both of those, id suggest an older, used bike, like 93 or 94.
it wont cost as much, it wont hurt the wallet so bad when you drop it, and if you decide you dont really like riding that much, you wont be stuck with payments on a 10k bike.

a lot of people learned to ride on dirtbikes or dual sports, theyre often a lot more forgiving than a full out street bike, and theres no plastic fairings to chew up if you drop (fairings = $1000+)

a new 600 class has way way more speed and handling than you will ever use on the streets, hell, most people wont use 80% of their sport bike on a track, as they havent the skill, training, experience, and reflexes to match the bike.
basically, a new sport bike is equivalent to a 700 horsepower race car on the street, if you figure your ever gonna use it all... your wrong.

not trying to be discouraging, just realistic :)

dsm69
03-06-2003, 06:10 PM
gsx r1000cc i ran a 10.9 at race city

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 06:14 PM
:werd: Get an older bike as your first bike...besides older bikes are very easy to repair/maintain. Chance are you're going to drop it. I crashed my first bike twice, and have dropped my 650 once.

Me, I'm saving up for a Ducati!!!:thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi
:werd: Get an older bike as your first bike...besides older bikes are very easy to repair/maintain. Chance are you're going to drop it. I crashed my first bike twice, and have dropped my 650 once.

Me, I'm saving up for a Ducati!!!:thumbsup:

ducatti,:drool:

look what made me into, next spring im getting a ducatti lol.

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Ducati SS800...soo pretty...:drool: :drool: :drool:

88 CRX
03-06-2003, 07:10 PM
My buddy is selling his 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Hyadusa. But it's way to much bike for a newbie!! :rofl:

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 88 CRX
My buddy is selling his 2001 Suzuki GSX1300R Hyadusa. But it's way to much bike for a newbie!! :rofl:

It's way too much bike for anyone...him to obviously...:D

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
do you mean hyabusa? hey R do you have the pic of my yellow ducatti? lol

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 07:24 PM
The Monster. I also like that bike. Has a nicer seating position also. Hey, that's me standing behind the bike. I almost bought one...lol.

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:26 PM
theres my baby. :drool: i cant wait til spring
next year. to much to do this year.

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:31 PM
dueling ducatti's i can see it now.:clap:

i cant wait. such a classy looking bike too.

88 CRX
03-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
do you mean hyabusa? hey R do you have the pic of my yellow ducatti? lol

I said it was a hyabusa, I guess you didn't read very close!!:dunno:

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by 88 CRX

I said it was a hyabusa, I guess you didn't read very close!!:dunno:

Or you don't read very close. You wrote "hyadusa"...

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:38 PM
actually you dont read closely or read what you type. you typed hyaDusa.
no D there brother. just a B:thumbsup:

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:40 PM
oh the power and sweet melidous sounds of the monster, to bad we couldnt hear it.

we should go down and see that guy, he seemed pretty nice.

88 CRX
03-06-2003, 07:47 PM
actually you dont read closely or read what you type. you typed hyaDusa.
no D there brother. just a B:thumbsup:

Sorry dude!!! Typo, you knew what I meant!:rolleyes:

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 07:49 PM
i know but i like to be a jerk sometimes:rofl:

and you shouldnt jump all over people for your mistakes:D

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 07:56 PM
oh the power and sweet melidous sounds of the monster, to bad we couldnt hear it.

we should go down and see that guy, he seemed pretty nice.

Yeah, the sales guy said me and him could take both bikes out, and trade off so I could try ride both. Sucks to be you b/c you don't have your bike license...:rofl:

ecstasy_civic
03-06-2003, 08:00 PM
thtas enough out of you. that would suck to be beat by a civic wouldnt it? :rofl:

ok well, if i had more money it would be possible lol
j/k.

oh ya i forgot to tell you ive got a new idea for a shop. were definatly have to talk!!!

oh and i dont need a license, i have photoshop:rofl: like i said next year things will come together, bike, car is finished. buy jane an rx7:drool:

CLiVE
03-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Sounds good. Give me a call later tonight, 10ish? or I'll stop by and visit tomorrow.

You forget so soon, that I also have upgrades planned....(insert evil laugh here...)

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2003, 12:04 AM
Sounds good. Give me a call later tonight, 10ish? or I'll stop by and visit tomorrow.

You forget so soon, that I also have upgrades planned....(insert evil laugh here...)

yes i remember, trust me lol how do you figure my car will go so fast?? your the main man behind my car this year:thumbsup: :rofl: so when does it get here? and when can i have mine lol:drool:

CLiVE
03-07-2003, 12:07 AM

yes i remember, trust me lol how do you figure my car will go so fast?? your the main man behind my car this year:thumbsup: :rofl: so when does it get here? and when can i have mine lol:drool:

When I got home today there was a UPS notice stuck on my door. So I'm guessing it is here....:drool:

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2003, 12:14 AM
yipeee!!!!!! bring it by tommorow i want to see it!.

hey went and bought paint and decided on a silver pearl. i thought the red would look weird with only parts being EXTREMLY different.

the silver will match better. i also got the metal base so it looks anodized:thumbsup:

CLiVE
03-07-2003, 12:22 AM
I'll bring it, if I'm home to receive it...hey you got my message that I couldn't stop by at 4:30, right?

-R

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2003, 12:26 AM
ya you have to pick up the wife? thats cool.

i think i might start painting tommorow night, my wife is going out with her friends to leave the determined painter to work lol.

hey i picked up $500 tonight!!! trying to decide what to do with it.
save
but christians rims
buy your stuff
projectors
struts

so many options so little money, plus i got paid big today!!! im a high roller until my car payment comes out lol.

CLiVE
03-07-2003, 12:29 AM
you should buy my stuff...I think...lol?

Anyways someone was asking about bikes...sorry for the off topic posts there. Damn post whores...:banghead:

Yeah, start that painting. Give me a call when you mess up..lol. You want my sander?

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2003, 12:31 AM
ya sure i bought sand paper, 80-160-600 grit.

thnx for having faith in me:rolleyes: im pretty sure i wont have any problems as long as the heater stays going im fine:thumbsup:

ya if i could use your little mouse it would make it so much easier

ecstasy_civic
03-07-2003, 12:36 AM
hey go check out leo's section, stealth pics with a little twist;) :angel:

XxIntegra_BoixX
03-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by dogstar
depends on your skill and maturity (no offence, but ive seen to many babies killed)

have you taken the rider training courses?

do you actually like riding?

until you can definitely answer yes to both of those, id suggest an older, used bike, like 93 or 94.
it wont cost as much, it wont hurt the wallet so bad when you drop it, and if you decide you dont really like riding that much, you wont be stuck with payments on a 10k bike.

a lot of people learned to ride on dirtbikes or dual sports, theyre often a lot more forgiving than a full out street bike, and theres no plastic fairings to chew up if you drop (fairings = $1000+)

a new 600 class has way way more speed and handling than you will ever use on the streets, hell, most people wont use 80% of their sport bike on a track, as they havent the skill, training, experience, and reflexes to match the bike.
basically, a new sport bike is equivalent to a 700 horsepower race car on the street, if you figure your ever gonna use it all... your wrong.

not trying to be discouraging, just realistic :)

Yeah anyways gettign back to this, yah i'm saying a 90% chance that i'll be gettin a bike this summer. Your idea of gettin an older bike sounds really goot, that way if i where to drop it or anything, i won't be crying.

Maybe, just maybe i'll grab a 600 or something later on down the line, but till then i'm better off with a older bike. I'm planning to take the bike course very soon, once the snow is gone that is. No worries on the discouraging part its all kewl. Thanks for all the 411.

Masta Dz17
03-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Oh shit and i wanted a Yamaha R1 / R6 as my first bike, but i was planning to get driver training and i have ridin a dirt bike before, hmmmmm, but you guys are pro, i was wondering, how much does a good older bike go for?>?>? that would be good for a newbie?

Ducati
01-20-2004, 02:15 AM
The best bike will be the bike that fits and you can handle.

The picture of the yellow Ducati M900 Monster brought back memories. I had a yellow one exactly like it, which I bought new in 1995. Great handling bike, but a wee bit down on power (only 69 r.w. hp.) so I kept and hid the 888 when the ex-wife's lawyers' bailiffs came looking for hidden assets. They got the M900. Sob!

A new Monster S4 with the 998 engine would be perfect. Or an Aprilia...aw fuck, its enough to make ya crazy...

Kaos
01-20-2004, 02:34 AM
Get the new R1. See if you can control 180 ponies between your legs.

bikrbabe
01-20-2004, 10:46 AM
Kaos....

you are sooo evil
:devil:

I can just see that poor guy all over the road if he gets the new R1....

Masta, dogstar is right... It is best to get a bike that is easier to handle (and had seen a few seasons of riding), cause trust me, you don't want to spend $1000 (or easily more) on repairs to your brand new bike...

That's what I did... got an older bike to start out with... get some practice and after a few seasons of riding, get that new ZX-10R:drool:

Bruce Chan
01-20-2004, 01:58 PM
yes , agree buy a second hand and more practice is better :thumbsup:

sputnik
01-20-2004, 02:37 PM
take it easy to start... and wear protection

too many punks on street bikes with sandals and tshirts :nut: :nut:

remember... you might be a good rider... but its the bad drivers that will eventually kill you

YCB
01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
holy old thread bat man

bikrbabe
01-20-2004, 04:05 PM
too many punks on street bikes with sandals and tshirts

yeah! I hate that.... ick, it makes me cringe just thinking of all of the skin smeared into the road from those dumbasses:barf:

sputnik
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by bikrbabe

yeah! I hate that.... ick, it makes me cringe just thinking of all of the skin smeared into the road from those dumbasses:barf:

like taking a big block of mozzarella across a cheese grater...

Ducati
01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
The last I heard the Yamaha R1 was 142 hp.
I saw one on the dyno at Richmond Motorcycles put out 132 at the rear wheel. It was internally stock, lower km., had a pipe of some sort.
180 horsepower? What is the source of your info.? Western Yamaha in Langley BC say 142.

I have ridden an R1. I like it a lot.
I used to sell bikes at Daytona motorcycles in Surrey, so its not like I am a noob, Kaos.

prosh
01-21-2004, 03:12 AM
the '04 R1 claims 180 hp at the crank.. its prolly still in the 140-150 range at the rear wheel. dunno why ppl believe marketing advertisement hahah

Ducati
01-21-2004, 08:45 PM
There is a big difference between the two. The only things that matter to me are (in this order) 1) is the bike comfortable enough for me to enjoy a fast 4 hour ride on it without going into spaztic muscle seizure afterwards; 2) handling; manoeverability and predictable braking; 3) torque where I want it, and enough horsepower to entertain me on the street. I am not Carl Fogerty! My 101 rear wheel horsepower (according to 2 dyno runs that indicated 100 and then 102 hp, - at in excess of 60,000 km on the motor at the time - so I average them) is enough to terrify me silly. I have owned several dozen motorcycles in my 31 years of riding, and find "Terror" and "Fun" to be synonyms. 142 hp really is a lot of horsepower. Yeah, I like lots of power, but the R1 is a veritable gluttons smorgasborg of horsepower. Unless you are a one-in-a- million talented rider and are racing, (which I am not) the difference between 100 and 142 will not make you faster on the street.

I have taken the weekend beer money from several guys who rode big sportbikes', wagering on who gets up the highway to the parking lot at the top of Mt. Baker first - Limping, nearly crippled old me on my old ratty Ducati, or Mr. Tentacles, on his latest and greatest world beater, riding in his brand new set of scuff-free Spyke one-peice racing suit.

bikrbabe
01-22-2004, 01:14 PM
I guess we'll find out about the R1's hp output pretty quick... I want one of the guys at work here to dyno one and see what she can do...

I heard rumours that it'll pull out apprx. 160-165 at the rear wheel.

Way too many ponies for me...lol

Ducati
01-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I am sure it will turn out that kind of horsepower too, turning itself into a Grenade waiting to Blow Up in the process.

Horsepower is nice but Reliability is better.

My guess is that the horsepower wars have peaked, and that future refinements in motorcycles will be in stability, predictable easy handling enhancements, braking control, new suspension setups, new types of brakes, like rim brakes; styling, convertability (making a bike convert easily from a Standard frame into a race-crouch setup for those fast ride days) and I see the eventual fading of sportbikes, being replaced by urban assault vehicles like the KTM Duke etc.

HillBilly
01-22-2004, 02:54 PM

It's way too much bike for anyone...him to obviously...:D

I dont know about that.... You get used to the power and find yourself wanting more. I know I do. I ride an '03 Hayabusa with ECU mods and exhaust mods and I want more. Call me crazy but I want more acceleration. :burnout:

Ducati
01-22-2004, 03:27 PM
There is a clique of guys out here on the West Coast who have much modified Busa's and Kaw 12's, that report 250+ hp. I have never seen them dyno'd, but guys at the dyno trailer say its real.

I don't personally know those people, but their reputation for high speed runs on public highways is notorious. I've seen the bikes at the Tsawassen Swap Meet and at the Ride for Sight.

A lotta Money...

5t3v3
01-23-2004, 11:47 AM
ANy bike that can't power wheelie will do you just fine.... like my POS, EX500, I can yank the throttle all I want and it still won't come off the ground .... unless of course, you rev to 9 grand and drop the clutch from a dead stop like a moron then you'll loop it.

If you have the dough, 600cc is the max you should go.

Ducati
01-24-2004, 02:05 AM
Today I just rode to Birch Bay and back on my 1971 Ducati Scrambler 250 single cylinder - all 27 throbbong horsepower of mighty Italian macho machine!

PukkaPukkaPukkaBraAAAAAAAAAPPP.....

I had a blast.

bikrbabe
01-24-2004, 01:49 PM
:P

quit bragging... it's s'posed to snow like 3 million feet here in calgary over the weekend

ahhh.... can't wait until spring, when all of the gravel is off of the road.

duc, do you have a pic of the scrambler? I can't say I've ever seen one...

Ducati
01-24-2004, 02:59 PM
I do not have a scanner or a digital camera. I will try to find one on the Net'. Mine is yellow & black , common livery for the 71'.

To give your minds' eye an image, old Scramblers sort of look like a cross between a flat-tracker and a dirt-bike.

Not every day out here on the Wet Coast is a riding day. The old electrics don't like humidity much, and the 888 is in my living room with a broken oil pump, being used as a coat rack, at the moment.

Ducati
01-24-2004, 04:59 PM
[url=C:\Documents and Settings\Ducati\My Documents\Ducati 250 Scrambler_files\image001.gif][img]
I hope this picture turns out, Bikrbababe
If so, there are certain pictures I want you to send me, heh heh heh...

Arrgh, Damn my luddite'ness. I can't seem to attach a picture of The Scrambler...