PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/advice

3G
01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
As most of you guys know I am a Pharmacy Technician, and I work or may say worked @ Temple Super Drug Mart. Anyhow, I worked with this pharmacist who is soo lazy and does nothing, I know what my duties are as a tech, but hell this guy sits around in a chair all day cruising the internet, talking on his cell phone or talking to his friends while visiting. Anyways, we'd have a shitload of prescriptions to do, I'd fill them all the time, I did most of the work in the pharmacy and helped the floor workers with stock/and facing when the pharmacy wasn't too busy. While I'm helping the stock workers, he'd get a small prescription and he'd page me to do it :bullshit:. Hell he can't even throw his garbage away. So I finally had it with this guy and freaked out on him when he told me to throw his garbage out, yes he told me to throw his garbage out. So the managers are pretty good at kissing this guys ass, and he "doesn't want to work with me until I give him an apology letter", me feeling I don't owe him one I said im not writing one, so he types one up on my behalf and hands it to the manager to get me to sign it. This guy is on leave for 2 weeks because he's in the states for some reason, so fast forward 2 weeks when he gets back, the manager calls me into her office before I go to work and she is like "as we know you and the pharmacist are not getting along so im going to have to let you go, in lieu of your termination we're giving you a weeks pay and wish you good luck in the future".

Sorry for the long rant/story but can they do this or shall I go to the Labour Board or we it's called.

the-law
01-16-2006, 06:16 PM
thats pretty sad. tell me more details, like how long you have been working there?
here is the AB employment standards code, you can check whether you got the raw deal.

http://canlii.org/ab/laws/sta/e-9/20051114/whole.html

section 56 To terminate employment an employer must give an employee written termination notice of at least

(a) one week, if the employee has been employed by the employer for more than 3 months but less than 2 years,

(b) 2 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the employer for 2 years or more but less than 4 years,

(c) 4 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the employer for 4 years or more but less than 6 years,

(d) 5 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the employer for 6 years or more but less than 8 years,

(e) 6 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the employer for 8 years or more but less than 10 years, or

(f) 8 weeks, if the employee has been employed by the employer for 10 years or more.

also you can get pai in lieu of notice

Vypros
01-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Heh. I worked there when I was 18. They fired me a day before the 3 month probationary period because I was off on ONE cashout by 25 cents.

3G
01-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Vypros
Heh. I worked there when I was 18. They fired me a day before the 3 month probationary period because I was off on ONE cashout by 25 cents.

yah they're pretty fricken cheap, but I've been there 6 months

the-law
01-16-2006, 08:00 PM
The problem is they can fire you for whatever reason as long as they give you notice or pay. But if you think you were discriminated against then you might have a case at the Tribunal.

lastprodigy
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
lol but realistically, even if you are not at fault.....who do you expect them to fire, a pharmacist? or a dime-a-dozen tech....makes sense to me....as un-fair as it is.....file a complaint should you see fit