PDA

View Full Version : Telus service tech apprentice?

Boostn
01-17-2006, 10:25 AM
Anyone know much about these positions and can offer opinions? They appear to be entry level and temporary with a chance of becoming permanent but are they decent jobs or not worth the time? Seems like they're hiring in anticipation of TelusTV going online in the near future.

groundpilot
01-17-2006, 11:41 AM
I could know a thing or two about that... Seeing as I was a service tech apprentice for 4 years...

What do you want to know...

Boostn
01-17-2006, 12:19 PM
How'd you like that type of work, did it challenge and interest you? Is it a career job and are you still in that industry? Do you work for Telus? I'm mostly inquiring about the service technician apprentice positions that Telus is posting for. The posting mentions something about TelusTV and home installations team. I assume you have to deal with residential customers and perform installs, maintenance, troubleshooting etc. I'd just like to get more details about growth potential, job conditions, hours, morale, turnover, chances of getting on regular full time with union rates. Also what's the full journeyman rate set at? Thanks in advance for any info.

Fordpower.ca
01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Im a tech for telus right now, and i gotta tell you.. i love my job. im not 100% sure on the position, but im sure it would entail install and repair of residential/small business lines. also installing TELUS TV. if you like working with your hands, working outside, dealing with customers and making good money, i say go for it. there are plenty of challenges too, (hope you dont mind being up on a ladder or climbing a pole with spurs on). im not a journeyman yet, so i dont know the pay off the top of my head (its in the contract), but what im making now i think im doing pretty good. hope this helps.

D

ianmcc
02-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Hey, I have an interview schedueled for Friday, any pointers anyone can give me? I am interviewing for this same position. Thanks!

Doseone
02-23-2006, 06:08 PM
How did you apply for the position with them? I have tried since October through their online system, but no love.

EG_Civic
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
telus always go for internal first then external to hire people.. but yeah there was a seminar at sait the other day.. they were looking for install and repair department.. basically crusin around the city doin like 5 task a day..3 months training.. anyone can apply... the pay starts at $25 bucks and hour with 2.5 overtime.. i thought it was great but not my type of job that i took at sait

Das_Amaretto
02-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Ya, I hear tech positions are usually pretty good jobs if you're a 'fix-it' type of person. My friend's a service tech over at Shaw, and his first year was liek $40k, got with just HS diploma, and he loves it. They taught him everything he needed to know, and only has to work 4 days a week (10 hr days).

Good luck on yr interviews :)

ianmcc
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Doseone
How did you apply for the position with them? I have tried since October through their online system, but no love.
Same thing, applied online last year, finally heard back from them. They sounded like I was a late-inning addition to the team! Luckily I was available on Friday.

RedlineMist
02-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Telus was one of the worst companies i have ever worked for.. EVER. then again i worked in a different department ..

Takemetoothemoo
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
EG_Civic are you sure its $25/hour to start
i thought it was $17.73/hour to start going up to 27/hour

ianmcc
02-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Takemetoothemoo
EG_Civic are you sure its $25/hour to start
i thought it was $17.73/hour to start going up to 27/hour
Start $18.15/hr.