PDA

View Full Version : Whats a safe amount of boost?

Teggy2nr
01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
My freind has a 98 Talon tsi with a Evo 3 big 16g turbo, 680 cc injectors, GM 3.5'' M.A.F sensor and a Apex'i safc2 and avc-r. He has stock internals and he was rinning at 18 psi and just recently blew his head gasket. So once he gets it fixed what will be a safe amount of boost to run. Hes getting some aftermarket stainless steel one, I dont know what kind it is. Now after he gets it fixed he seems to think it will be safe to return to that psi again, and I dont think it is, he is not a member on this site, but he is on DSMtuners.org or something like that and they all say its safe. So if anybody could give some info so I could show him that its not.

jdm_cvc05
01-17-2006, 03:02 PM
i hear the talons and eclipses have problems with blowing gaskets, soo making the move to get an aftermarket gasket is pretty smart. me and my buddy were actually talking about it last night, i was looking into a TSi, and thats what he said.

Sorath
01-17-2006, 03:04 PM
ur good for 15psi as a safe setting

Teggy2nr
01-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Is there any risk of it leaning out if the boost is too low

94boosted
01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
15PSi is safe if you have a stock fuel system but if you have an upgraded one like ur buddy with the 650CC's go higher (assuming he has an aftermarket fuelpump to).

The stock Mitsu head gasket is only good for about 18PSi. That is a safe number if your friend knows how to tune properly. You can easily go higher but you will definately want to replace a few basic things. the plastic 2nd Gen BOV's sucks get a 1G BOV and crush it, get a bigger intercooler perferibaly a Front Mount and some hard pipes

Ive seen guys running 24PSi on a stock internal 1st Gen Talon on pump Gas

Its generally not recomended to go lower then about 9,10

gt4
01-18-2006, 04:23 AM
no it shouldn't lean out.

Teggy2nr
01-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
15PSi is safe if you have a stock fuel system but if you have an upgraded one like ur buddy with the 650CC's go higher (assuming he has an aftermarket fuelpump to).

The stock Mitsu head gasket is only good for about 18PSi. That is a safe number if your friend knows how to tune properly. You can easily go higher but you will definately want to replace a few basic things. the plastic 2nd Gen BOV's sucks get a 1G BOV and crush it, get a bigger intercooler perferibaly a Front Mount and some hard pipes

Ive seen guys running 24PSi on a stock internal 1st Gen Talon on pump Gas

Its generally not recomended to go lower then about 9,10 He got a turbosmart bov and hard pipes already, hes getting a oil cooler in the future and getting a fm ic also installed. he is getting a balance shaft eliminator, dsm link and then is gonna go to 22 psi

benyl
01-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Teggy2nr
Is there any risk of it leaning out if the boost is too low

No, there is a risk of being too rich.

mutsuraboshi
01-18-2006, 03:59 PM
what problems can arise if you continue to drive it rich for a long time, and wat would you consider a long time b4 these things happen

EK 2.0
01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
the car NEEDS a fuel pump...thats what will kill this setup...run 14psi...until you upgrade to a 190LPH or higher then go crazy...

but don't listen to me...it's been a long time since I have touched a DSM...haha

benyl
01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Shaddap honda boy. Do you know what you are talking about? ;)

Running rich will foul plugs, ruin catalytic converters, etc...

Plus it wastes fuel and is bad for the environment.

gpomp
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
"Better to be rich and retarded then lean and broke"

tsi_neal
01-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Stock mitsu headgaskets are some of the best on the market... IMO if hes blowing them at any "normal" amount of boost or HP then its because the car is knocking and fucking things up that way. And IMO less than 20psi and less than 400hp is a totally "normal" number for stock DSM motors. Listening to 'honda boy' might not be a bad thing. make sure the fuel system is up to the task and tune it properly

Teggy2nr
01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
obtw he has got a walbro 255 lph fuel pump too. I honestly think that its not safe to run at that boost. Its usually the weakesT thing that blows right. Like b4 he got hard pipes made he goT all kinds of boost leaks and then he got some made and then his headgasket went. After he gets that fixed what will go next... his piston rings?

EK 2.0
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
20psi on all those supporting mods should be totally fine...Is he still running the stock bottlenecked exhaust?? If so that is gonna cause him a TON of issues...tell him 3 inch or bust mang...

and yeah listen to this "honda boy" haha

benyl
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
with a side exit... :rolleyes:

:rofl: :rofl:

Teggy2nr
01-18-2006, 09:47 PM
I guess he will be fine then, cuz al the stuff you guys say hes gonna need hes already got, like the exhaust for instance. Hes got a 3 inch no cat, and then a 3 inch o2 housing with external dump tube and all. I guess all he needs then is the dsm link, balance shaft eliminator, and clutch then huh. What times do you think he can run, cuz he dosent want to go to the track cuz hes afraid he'll be disappointed.

EK 2.0
01-18-2006, 10:21 PM
if he doesnt break 10's...I will be saddened...
:burnout: :burnout:

tsi_neal
01-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
if he doesnt break 10's...I will be saddened...

10's i hope your thinking its a FWD... if its AWD id expect nothing short of single digits :rofl:

EK 2.0
01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I KNOW its AWD...but it will be homies first time at the track...

Teggy2nr
01-19-2006, 06:08 PM
its awd. ru serious it will be 10's. i was thinking high 12's low 13's.

EK 2.0
01-19-2006, 08:15 PM
its awd. ru serious it will be 10's. i was thinking high 12's low 13's.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO man!!

Mid 13's...thats what you should expect at RCMP...if we have RCMP next summer...

tsi_neal
01-20-2006, 12:08 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO man!!

Mid 13's...thats what you should expect at RCMP...if we have RCMP next summer...

In all honesty id give it low 13's. On a stock IC, a slipping clutch and 15psi (on the same turbo), i was running 99mph at low 14's If the clutch was holding that would have been an easy 13.7

Unfortunatly with the new FMIC setup i havent been able to get it running right above 10psi, and havent draged it... but i would suspect that when it runs right a low 13 is in the cards. bigger IC 5 more psi and a good clutch should be worth a second and a couple MPH. <-- dont hold me to this tho, im debating parting out the car... And it always was a solo2 car, im not even close to a drag racer.

EK 2.0
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Neal, the car should run that fast. But if the driver has never been to the track...he will be disappointed his first few times out...

For example...you give me Sam's 11 second EG or Coreys 12 second DC...they will both run like 17's with me behind the wheel...haha...

tsi_neal
01-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Neal, the car should run that fast. But if the driver has never been to the track...he will be disappointed his first few times out...

For example...you give me Sam's 11 second EG or Coreys 12 second DC...they will both run like 17's with me behind the wheel...haha...

Good call, i usually think in terms of what the car can do not what the driver is capable of :banghead:

94boosted
01-27-2006, 05:38 PM
your buddy has a nice car and with the setup he has so far when he puts in an FMIC he will easily!!! be able to run 20,21,22 PSi on pump gas and higher on pump/race or race gas

An AWD with that kind of modifications with a good driver in Calgary could easily run very low 13's and on a better track high 12's

Teggy2nr
02-03-2006, 09:13 PM
Hes got a huge ass fmic. its the bigges one ive ever seen its something like 24x12x4 or something like that, but he cant put it on till he gets piping made and a body kit cus there is no room for it with the stock bumper. I cant wait till he gets everything buttoned down on it. But as of now its still in the shop, he needed to get the head resurfaced

Go4Long
02-04-2006, 06:52 PM
running that big of a FMIC on that small of a turbo is rediculous...it's just that much more area that you're going to have to pressurize. You're gonna see so much pressure drop across the intercooler that you're gonna be pissed, a big 16G only needs a small FMIC. And most intercoolers will require some "custom" body work in order to make them fit.

Teggy2nr
02-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Ya ppl have told him thats he gonna see lots of turbo lag but you cant tell him that he wants it for the look

EK 2.0
02-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Ya ppl have told him thats he gonna see lots of turbo lag but you cant tell him that he wants it for the look

ohhhhhhhhh it's not an intercooler...it's an interFOOLER huh??

88jbody
02-05-2006, 11:26 AM
my friend is running 13.7 at sea level in an AWD tsi with only a full exhaust and a slight increase in boost,

so I doubt he will be to dissapointed but tell him to run because everyone on here could guess what he would run but you will never know untill he does

94boosted
02-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I have a 32x7x2.75 intercooler and it is perfect with my 16G turbo little pressure drop(ibeleive its only .5) and with my GM Maf I dont have very much Turbo lag at al

88jbody is right depending on tires, launch, driver.... knowone can predict his time we can all guess a time based on the mods but knowone can say "he will run 12 seconds"