PDA

View Full Version : Westjet deal(Free Plane Ride)

DarkDream
01-18-2006, 12:51 PM
For all you lucky people with the same lastname as Harper, Martin, Layton, Duceppe or Harris... You have till Thursday 7pm MT to get tickets

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/nati...tjet060118.html

If your surname is Harper, Martin, Layton, Duceppe or Harris, you could be flying high after the federal election and at no cost.

A new promotion by WestJet is offering free airfare anywhere in Canada to anyone with the last names of the federal party leaders.

The offer goes to "all Canadians who share their names with any of the contenders for Canada's next prime minister," said Bob Cummings, vice-president of marketing for the Calgary-based airline.

There are some catches in the WestJet Gets Political promotion.

The trips must be booked by Thursday at 7 p.m. MT, and flights must be taken the day after the federal election Jan. 23. Travellers also have to pay all taxes, fees and surcharges.

Akagi Redsuns
01-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Your link is not setup correctly. Here it is.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/18/westjet060118.html

Delta
01-18-2006, 01:06 PM
oh, i know a guy with a last name of Martin. I bet not alot of people are gonna do it though.

djayz
01-18-2006, 01:49 PM
what a gay deal/promotion

handsomebassman
01-18-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by djayz
what a gay deal/promotion

haha, agreed.

ronaldo
01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
stupidest promo ever

szw
01-18-2006, 07:57 PM
You guys are retarded.

toyboy88
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
it's only a federal election publicity stunt :rolleyes:

just like nip-slips! :poosie: :D

Team_Mclaren
01-18-2006, 08:01 PM
They got you guys mentioned and thought about westjet tho didnt they. So the promotion is a success.

ninjak84
01-18-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
They got you guys mentioned and thought about westjet tho didnt they. So the promotion is a success.

?

If we end up thinking how gay Westjet is, then how is the promo a "success"?

vincent-h
01-19-2006, 05:20 PM
cuz in the end no matter if u think its gay or not, the fact they have "west jet" inbedded in the back of ur mind makes it successful.

Because 1-2 months later when you or a friend ask about flights you'll think westjet cuz you know their there. On top of that it get mroe people to talk about Westjet.

Originally posted by ninjak84

?

Team_Mclaren
01-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by vincent-h
cuz in the end no matter if u think its gay or not, the fact they have "west jet" inbedded in the back of ur mind makes it successful.

Because 1-2 months later when you or a friend ask about flights you'll think westjet cuz you know their there. On top of that it get mroe people to talk about Westjet.

exactly, its all marketing. And promotions like this cost them next to nothing, but get the "Brand" across very well.

chong_wallace
01-20-2006, 12:28 PM
i remember westjet had a valentines day promotion: Free flights for people with 'love' as their last names

in*10*se
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by chong_wallace
i remember westjet had a valentines day promotion: Free flights for people with 'love' as their last names

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

911sc
01-21-2006, 05:28 AM
My last name is Bin Ladden, will that get me a free ticket. LOL:clap:

Fez_turbo
01-21-2006, 01:43 PM
i got a friend with the last name HARRIS, but her dad is a pilot for west jet so they get free flights anyways.

plus i know the gurl who's dad owns westjet, ive met her once she's 17(at least she was when i met her) and goes to WIC. really nice but we dont hang out.:D (really good looking too)

tapout
01-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by djayz
what a gay deal/promotion :werd:

nismodrifter
01-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Fez_turbo
i got a friend with the last name HARRIS, but her dad is a pilot for west jet so they get free flights anyways.

plus i know the gurl who's dad owns westjet, ive met her once she's 17(at least she was when i met her) and goes to WIC. really nice but we dont hang out.:D (really good looking too)

:whocares:

sexualbanana
01-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by vincent-h

That's only if you're under the impression that all publicity is good publicity. And that is wholly dependent on the school of thought you belong to.

Some would argue that a promotion like this is stupid because a) it doesn't seem that well promoted; b) it's so exclusive that it might alienate their current customer base; and, which is my criticism of this campaign, c) there is a difference between being aware of the product and actual purchase behaviour. Causal relation between this kind of campaign and actual purchase is pretty weak.

Others, like me, would argue the same points, except on the flip side. Yes it doesn't seem that well promoted, and it's so exclusive to such a small portion of the target audience. But that's always been the image that Westjet has been trying to project since the beginning, the anti-airline.

Melinda
01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
They did this for halloween too, everyone with the last name "Black" or "Orange" got free flights. I think it's neat actually, why not? If you had a last name that fit with their promo and you wanted to go somewhere, I'm sure you'd be all to happy to save $200 or so

Rollin'
01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes: because not everyone shares your opinion, alot of ppl lurk too. hell if one person mentions it to another just in conversation...

seriously...are you that thick?

?

Ripper
01-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Man people with the name Nicholas got the shaft at xmas :cry:

Weapon_R
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM

?

If by "we", you mean "you", then you have a point.

The promo got the attention of those who qualified, those who didn't, and didn't annoy anyone in the process (other than the haters who will hate on anything).

dino_martini
01-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Aww, my first name is Martin :(