PDA

View Full Version : Cobb AccessPORT or TBE first?

awd
01-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Deciding which to do first...and why?

pitwipe
01-18-2006, 04:37 PM
AP first. Running a TBE without engine management can be bad. Search NASIOC for the details.

Get the AP and flash to stage 1. Enjoy that for a while before buying a TBE and flashing to stage 2. :thumbsup:

awd
01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by pitwipe
AP first. Running a TBE without engine management can be bad. Search NASIOC for the details.

Get the AP and flash to stage 1. Enjoy that for a while before buying a TBE and flashing to stage 2. :thumbsup:

Yea, I guess I knew the answer -- just wanted a nice new sound :(

mac_82
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
For a nicer sound I put on a STI axle back. I am going accessport stage 1 this spring, and hopefully stage 2 later in the summer.

:clap:

pitwipe
01-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Yep, you can still have the "nice new sound' without an AP, just change out your muffler. Prodrive sounds sweet!

I think it's the downpipe that requires engine management before you can change it out for an aftermarket one.

spideywrx
01-18-2006, 05:37 PM
Actually you do'nt need an accessport to run a turbo back. Its better sure, but definately not neccesary.

It just depends on your plans for down the road.

spideywrx
01-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by mac_82
For a nicer sound I put on a STI axle back. I am going accessport stage 1 this spring, and hopefully stage 2 later in the summer.

:clap:

It would even sound nicer with a catless downpipe

spideywrx
01-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by awd
Deciding which to do first...and why?

depending what yr of wrx you have (if you have a 02/03), there is a guy on nasioc from cgy selling his engine ecu which is already flashed cobb stage 2 (accessECU, before the days of accessport)

you could always switch him ECu's and get yourself a turbo back, and then good to go.

(sorry for all the posts, ugh)

mac_82
01-18-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by spideywrx

It would even sound nicer with a catless downpipe

hehe that was the stage 2 later this summer part.....

hopefully anyways. maybe even a new axle back as well. :drool:

spideywrx
01-18-2006, 05:49 PM

hehe that was the stage 2 later this summer part.....

hopefully anyways. maybe even a new axle back as well. :drool:

personally, I 'd get rid of all the stock restrictive pieces.

CRXguy
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by pitwipe

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Please link threads.

mac_82
01-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I believe that pitwipe is talking about check engine light (CEL) that may appear after the installation of a downpipe. The CEL will throw a code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold because of the catless downpipe.

You can get a mechanical fix for the CEL, or just buy an accessport or another type of engine management.

spideywrx
01-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I believe that pitwipe is talking about check engine light (CEL) that may appear after the installation of a downpipe. The CEL will throw a code P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold because of the catless downpipe.

You can get a mechanical fix for the CEL, or just buy an accessport or another type of engine management.

there are many ways to avoid that, ie.> high flow catted downpipe, godspeed catless downpipe with mini 02 sensor cat (which I have and never had a cell at all), or mechanical fix, they all do the job.

mac_82
02-08-2006, 12:54 AM
hmmmm trying to decide this for myself now. i already have a sti intercooler and sti axle back exhaust for the rex. cant really afford to go stage 2 all at once, so it will have to be downpipe first, and then accessport, or accessport flash to stage 1, and then install downpipe later and flash to stage 2......

pitwipe
02-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Accessport first.