PDA

View Full Version : Mark up on new furniture is huge!!!

rtsen
01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
The Brick:
2 piece sectional (sofa and chaise) - $1699
Ottoman - $499

United Furniture:
2 piece sectional (sofa and chaise) - $1699
Ottoman - $299

So here’s the story. I’m shopping for new furniture for my new place that I’m getting at the end of the month. I settle on this 2 piece sectional couch (ottoman extra) that they sell at both the brick.and united furniture for the same price.

I waited for today because they were having a ‘special’ deal at the brick today, 14% off. So I’m thinking, nice I don’t have to hassle much with the price because it’s 14% off already.

So I get in there and try to get all 3 pieces at a good price but that wasn’t going to happen. The best deal they offered me was ~$1950 for the couch and ottoman. I did a quick calculation and if I get the couch at the brick for 14% off and then buy the ottoman at United for 3 bills then it would be the cheapest.

I change up my strategy and bargain on just the couch. In the end I got it for ~$1450 + free delivery (it was a bitch to get the free delivery, they wanted to charge me $75 then they lowered it to $50).

I’m happy; I pay for it and head over to United Furniture to get the ottoman. I start talking to the sales lady there and I mention I just bought the couch and just want the ottoman. She goes checks with her manager and they offer me the entire set for $1699 + delivery. I was just shocked, basically I just wasted a bunch of time and effort trying to get a good deal (so I thought) and they offer me a better deal on the spot.

I cancel the brick order and ordered it at United. I’m thinking I could have gotten it for cheaper now but I’m glad it’s all over now. The mark up on new furniture is huge!!!

JordanLotoski
01-18-2006, 11:20 PM
2 of the crappiest places to buy anything!!

Xtrema
01-19-2006, 12:11 AM
Besides that,

It has always been known that furniture has a mark up of at least 100% ($1699 would've costed them ~$900).

Most funiture places will accept bargains. Even a sneeze with get you 20% off.

blitz
01-19-2006, 08:23 AM
I ended up getting a leather couch/loveseat combo and another "modern" cloth set and got about 60% off both.

Replaced all of our furniture when we moved into our new place and got everything at least 40% off.

We were shopping at Revolve, Urban Barn, Palliser Rooms, Kiya, EQ3, etc. Less room for barganing at those stores, but decent sales come up if you look for them.

Mr. Burns
01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
The Brick is a terrible place to buy furniture.

rtsen
01-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns
The Brick is a terrible place to buy furniture.

I agree, I dont usually buy stuff from the brick but that's the style I ultimately liked at the end and surprisely no body carried a similar model.

I would have like a darker colour so I got a customize quote to make it for me, same style, same material and it was quoted at almost a thousand more. Too much for my blood.

Lex350
01-19-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

word!!

What I usually do is if I see a piece of furniture I like, I check to see who maufactures it. I then try and buy it direct and have it shipped (still way cheaper) or find out who reps the line and buy from them. (still way cheaper)

lastprodigy
01-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT

:werd:

everyone cant be rich and trendy though, theres a reason thsoe places are still in business.

Weapon_R
01-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

What I usually do is if I see a piece of furniture I like, I check to see who maufactures it. I then try and buy it direct and have it shipped (still way cheaper) or find out who reps the line and buy from them. (still way cheaper)

This is honestly the BEST way to go. Most places buy from local manufacturers, so you can get the style and distributor and buy direct. You can save a lot of money doing this.

jdmakkord
01-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Palliser furniture supplies the brick, leather express, and penthouse as well. They are in either airdrie or crossfield.

89coupe
01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
My latest furniture purchase was through Ashley Furniture. Three full back hardwood stools for my island. $100.00 each, anywhere else you would pay $300 each.

The chairs. http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/
http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Graphics/Web/D208-12T_G.jpg

In my kitchen.:thumbsup:

http://www.performance-shop.com/bradsstuff/DSCF0012.JPG

FatboyTheHungry
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

This is honestly the BEST way to go. Most places buy from local manufacturers, so you can get the style and distributor and buy direct. You can save a lot of money doing this.

:werd: I bought a bunch of furniture from NC for way less than what it cost retail in Canada. BTW, NC produces most of the "high end" furniture in the US.

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
My latest furniture purchase was through Ashley Furniture. Three full back hardwood stools for my island. $100.00 each, anywhere else you would pay $300 each.

The chairs. http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/
http://www.ashleyfurniture.com/Graphics/Web/D208-12T_G.jpg

In my kitchen.:thumbsup:

http://www.performance-shop.com/bradsstuff/DSCF0012.JPG

ur backspash is VERY similar to mine... ill post mine up... i have only seen 2 homes with a dimond design above the range.... and ur #2! thought i was being "somewhat" original. :devil:

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2006, 11:02 AM

:werd: a great family friend of ours owns a furniture factory! got 2 leather couchs for 900! :thumbsup:

goings direct is BY FAR THE BEST WAY TO GO! always cheaper and for that its worth the wait!

max_boost
01-20-2006, 11:08 AM
How do you factory order direct? Just call them up and tell them what you want? Are they receptive to dealing with non-dealers?

kaput
01-20-2006, 11:16 AM

89coupe
01-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez

ur backspash is VERY similar to mine... ill post mine up... i have only seen 2 homes with a dimond design above the range.... and ur #2! thought i was being "somewhat" original. :devil:

Yeh, that design/kitchen won best design for 2005 in the calgary condo magazine.

Its a 'slate' backsplash.

Weapon_R
01-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
How do you factory order direct? Just call them up and tell them what you want? Are they receptive to dealing with non-dealers?

Find out who makes the furniture. Chances are it'll be a local company like Dynasty. Generally, service doesn't exist in these warehouses but that doesn't matter. Ask them to buy the model you want and the color you want, and they should be able to direct you to someone else to talk to, or get you a receipt and tell you when to pick up.

Lex350
01-20-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by FatboyTheHungry

:werd: I bought a bunch of furniture from NC for way less than what it cost retail in Canada. BTW, NC produces most of the "high end" furniture in the US.

THat's right for home furnishings...although many companies seem to be pulling out of that area. It's Michigan for office furnitutre.

That being said, there are more and more good quality Canadian manufacturer's popping up in Canada.

If you want some funky furniture with good quality and a decent price, check these guys out.

http://www.calligaris.it/home.html

Their stuff is made in Italy but they stock out of California. You can get it in town (revolve) but the mark-up they put on it is steep. THe biggest thing I have found it to be careful on who you pick to ship the stuff.

I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and have been very impressed...especially on their kitchen tables!!

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Yeh, that design/kitchen won best design for 2005 in the calgary condo magazine.

Its a 'slate' backsplash.

thats excellent! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for sure... the chimney style hood fans are a must too!! are you happy with ur slate? some ppl i know dont like theirs :nut: ... i love ours!

btw thise bar stools are $$... i was looking at those also but decided to go with leather ones...

in any case great job! who was ur builder?

Gondi Stylez
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM

Find out who makes the furniture. Chances are it'll be a local company like Dynasty. Generally, service doesn't exist in these warehouses but that doesn't matter. Ask them to buy the model you want and the color you want, and they should be able to direct you to someone else to talk to, or get you a receipt and tell you when to pick up.

:werd: Dynasty is where my furniture came from and Ashleys! cant go wrong with either!