PDA

View Full Version : Insuring a modified car

Jynx
01-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I read over some of the past threads on insurance and what not but didnt find to much relevant information on insuring a modified car so i taught id start a new thread.

We currenty have 4 cars and 3 drivers however only three of them are insured. We are currently in the process of *TRYING* to insure the 4th car (2001 honda prelude).

Now here is the problem, the companys we have talked to so far have said they wont insure the prelude because of the engine modifications. To me the modifications seem very minor.

AEM cold air Intake
AEM power pulley kit
Apexi dual Cat-Back exhaust
MSD ignition and Blaster Coil
NGK Power Spark Plug Cables

So basically my question is where do you guys with modified cars get them insured?
Any numbers or brokers names would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2002civic
01-21-2006, 04:37 PM
meloche monnex insured mine, i had it appraised before though and for a 28 000 dollar appraisail my insurance was 15 dollars more for the year:D

D-Man
01-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I use Aviva. I had a professional car appraisal done and I haven't had any problems...

Jynx
01-21-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
meloche monnex insured mine, i had it appraised before though and for a 28 000 dollar appraisail my insurance was 15 dollars more for the year:D

I herd that you have to be some sort of professional to be insured through them?

If you have a university degree is that enough?

Jynx
01-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by D-Man
I use Aviva. I had a professional car appraisal done and I haven't had any problems...

Do you have similar engine modifications?

If you dont mind me asking how much do you pay considering we both drive the same car?

2002civic
01-21-2006, 09:24 PM
well im insured under my dad through the canadian bar association so i guess your info is true, and i dont think a uni degree gives you professional status

That.Guy.S30
01-21-2006, 10:45 PM
^^ he is talking about how MM gives discounts to professionals or people with uni degrees.

Boosted_TL
01-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Engine modifications?? I wouldnt consider those kind of small mod's to be of benifit to insure?

Just say you want such and such kind of coverage and dont worry about telling them about your CAI and pulley's.....:rofl:

2002civic
01-22-2006, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
^^ he is talking about how MM gives discounts to professionals or people with uni degrees.
yea thanks i understand, thats why he quoted me, and eh said professional status which is nto JUST a uni degree....

Jynx
01-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Boosted_TL
Engine modifications?? I wouldnt consider those kind of small mod's to be of benifit to insure?

Well i believe in fixing potential problems prior to them occuring... dont want those little things to be a reason why my car isint insured if im in some sort of accident.

Dont want to be left with my balls in my hand if u know what i mean!

Sorath
01-22-2006, 07:08 AM
i think u should just tell them u want to insure the car. and cut back on the modification issue.... cause thats barely any mods

D-Man
01-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jynx

Do you have similar engine modifications?

Who me? Compared to who? You? I don't even know what you have done to your car...

If you dont mind me asking how much do you pay considering we both drive the same car?

I pay roughly $500/year. I only drive the car 5 months of the year and it's listed as recreational use because I only put 2-3 thousand km's on it per year... Oh, I'm 31 years old...

Just get the professional appraisal done so that you are covered if you happen to write the car off. What I was told is that providing receipts was just not enough when it comes time to put in a claim... It's only $200 and will give you piece of mind...

Jynx
01-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
i think u should just tell them u want to insure the car. and cut back on the modification issue.... cause thats barely any mods

I understand that those are very small mods, but those small mods are the ones causing the issues. The car has other cosmetic/exterior mods but those are the engine ones which are causing the problems.

Anyways,

where do the rest of you insure your modified cars?

A790
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM

I understand that those are very small mods, but those small mods are the ones causing the issues. The car has other cosmetic/exterior mods but those are the engine ones which are causing the problems.

Anyways,

where do the rest of you insure your modified cars?

Blue Circle Insurance.

GTS Jeff
01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
Did you also mention to the insurance company that your mods amount to an extra 3 hp? That might help...

lastprodigy
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Did you also mention to the insurance company that your mods amount to an extra 3 hp? That might help...

:rofl:

And they only consider things like plug wires mods becasue you told them, should have never brought it up in the first plce since thats not even a mod. I understand the situation though, so just keep calling around.

3g4me
01-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Did you ask them about changing your tires too, might wanna do that just to be safe.

95EagleAWD
01-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Don't tell 'em.

The insurance company has to pay out the value of the car if it's totalled, minus the mods. Even aftermarket wheels won't be covered.

TimG
01-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Don't tell 'em.

The insurance company has to pay out the value of the car if it's totalled, minus the mods. Even aftermarket wheels won't be covered.

You're playing with fire if you have mods and then have to make a claim.

Back in Ontario, people were being dumped and denied claims left right and centre for having mods like bilstein suspension. There was one person who had a stock wrx with a roll cage and was dropped after he hit a deer.

The ONLY way to legally insure your modified car is by going into the facility pool. This is the same pool that insures people convicted of DUI and other extremely high risk people. As such, be prepared to pay out your ass. A friend of mine insured his early 90s VW jetta with a 2.0 16v turbo engine through them for (i think) $3000/year. Another fellow has a 2000 jetta vr6 with a stage 2 VF blower and pays something like 5k a year (he was with State Farm before and they sent him a letter saying that he had 10 days before they discontinued his policy).

If you remember when you bought insurance they asked you if there were any engine or suspension modifications and then you sign the paper. By not disclosing any mod information to your insurance company, they can legally deny you coverage.

and BTW, don't take your brokers or sales rep's word for it. Get in touch with the insurance company themselves and speak to someone in charge. If they say that they will cover the mods, get it in writing. We tried this with several insurance companies and nobody would provide us anything in writing - not even what were acceptable and unacceptable mods. :banghead:

Good luck

95EagleAWD
01-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by TimG

if you remember when you bought insurance they asked you if there were any engine or suspension modifications and then you sign the paper. By not disclosing any mod information to your insurance company, they can legally deny you coverage.

No they didn't.
:)

Can't be blamed if my agent is too lazy to do her job? And I asked her anyways, she said that if I wanted, they would insure the aftermarket parts, and premiums would go up. Or I could not tell them, premium stays the same and they just wouldn't cover the value of the aftermarket items on the car. They'd just give me Bluebook value.

bradwatson
01-25-2006, 06:09 PM
I had my car insured as a stock car. When it was stolen, I gave them a list of Mods with Receipts and they paid out. This was with MM. At the time I was 17. Oh yeah and they were pretty good because i didnt have a receipt for the wheels because I bought them from a buddy. They paid out on those too. As for mods, they covered everything (stereo, wheels, suspension, body parts, CAI, Exhaust, etc.)

Brad

natejj
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Psh... mods shmods...

I insured with my scirroco for 1600/year.... they didnt care, it had Throttle Body, P-Chip, Upgrades Cams, Aftermarkt exhaust, 16v DOHC engine...... of course.....Now that i think about it..... i may have forgotten to notify them about a few of those things ;).

Jynx
01-25-2006, 09:44 PM
well neways i ended up getting it insured through cooperators

2100/yr full coverage including mods.

95EagleAWD
01-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Sounds reasonable. I pay 1600/yr full coverage on the Talon, no mods.

TimG
01-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

No they didn't.
:)

Can't be blamed if my agent is too lazy to do her job? And I asked her anyways, she said that if I wanted, they would insure the aftermarket parts, and premiums would go up. Or I could not tell them, premium stays the same and they just wouldn't cover the value of the aftermarket items on the car. They'd just give me Bluebook value.

did you read all of the fine print at the bottom of the contract?

No offense, but your agent's word is meaningless as she does not represent the underwriter. They have the final say in the matter. You should call them up and ask someone there if they will cover your aftermarket go-fast parts.

TimG
01-26-2006, 01:46 PM
To those of you who don't think your insurance companies care if your car is modded:

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2399

http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2603

XylathaneGTR
01-26-2006, 01:55 PM
Go to TRILAGY INSURANCE. They're affiliated w/ ING Direct and located somewhere in wayyy the hell in the south (I want to say near blackfoot, but i can't remember, Sorry. A phone book will help you.)

I insured my heavily modified 240SX, and declared everysingle modification at the time the policy was issued. Other companies (Meloche Monnex, for example, my parents company) wanted more than 3x the amount Trilagy went with.
There was also the option to apraise the vehicle if i wanted, and at the value i estimated for the car, would only increase premiums by 200/yr.
When the car was totaled (unfortunatly), they covered the car and all of the modifications, and gave a very fair price (You know insurance companies always give you a hit.)
They have also covered my loss of income to date from hospitalization and injuries recieved, as wel as all medical expenses (Stars ride, etc)

Like i said, Trilagy insurance is very mod friendly.
Talk to Sam Quong, and he will definitly take care of you.

vincent-h
01-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm with wawanesa insurance and they seem just fine with the fact that i have modifications on my car. I usually just fax my broker my receipts adn keep a copy of it for myself. Even my body kit is insured on my car, onyl because its a fiberglass kit and it wasn't too cheap to bring in or install.

As of yet my premium still has not increased but even if it does my broker has told me its only when i get over a certain amount of $$$ on mods or huge mod slike suspension and what not need to be reported.

Current mods/addons
Crankshaft
Cai intake
Short shifter/bushings
Hardened Tranny mount
Piggy back ECU
Head unit
Subs
amp
Body kit Front, rear, sides
All this is covered and has not yet increased my premium and I have spoken to them about future mods and they just let me know when it goes over or if will be allowed or not. And I thought the piggyback woulda got me hooped for sure but I guess not.

TimG
01-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Your broker's word is meaningless when the insurance underwriters are deciding to cover your claim.

Call wawanesa (i used to be with them several years ago) and talk to someone in the underwriters department and see if they'll cover your mods. you'll be surprised.

vincent-h
01-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by TimG
Your broker's word is meaningless when the insurance underwriters are deciding to cover your claim.

Call wawanesa (i used to be with them several years ago) and talk to someone in the underwriters department and see if they'll cover your mods. you'll be surprised.

I will definitely look into this case either way if that is so wouldn't the broker be liable to hol dup to his words because they gauranteed my mods to be covered. otherwise the BBB might have to say otherwise because my broker would be providing me false information.

It's like me in the travel industry saying that ya your flight is gonna be direct ad then them having a stop over flight i'd be in huge crap.

K_0_0_L
01-26-2006, 02:24 PM
everything that was said about ontairo was right ass soon as i told RBC i had tvs in my headrests they cancled my policy !!! their bastards out here .. i hope its better in alberta im moving there end of feb.. P.S. stay away from ontario its sux here ..LOL