PDA

View Full Version : 87 Rx-7

SpasticDwarf
01-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey i got a few questions for you guys. I went to a junkyard today to get a piece for my prelude, and while i was looking around, tucked in the back was an 87 RX-7. the body was fine, clear coat was fading, but the body was straight, the frame is straight, the windows have been left down, so the interior has been rained on and has leaves/cobwebs in it, so its not the cleanest thing ever. But everything is there. The car is near perfect, i have no clue why its there. the engine looks a little rough on the outside, but its not too bad. no rust or anything on the engine. The wheels were taken off, but its got tires under the body to sit on. The suspension is a little rusty from the rain, but its all there. The wheels are in a pile on the other side of the lot.

So I went and asked the guy who runs the place what he wants for the whole car. $500 (USD) for the whole thing...

With the expectation of having to buy a new engine, because i have no clue how this one is working.

Do you think its worth it to get this car? Even if i have to get a new engine?

thanks for the help guys!

redline_13000
01-21-2006, 10:04 PM
no:thumbsdow

Zephyr
01-21-2006, 10:23 PM
It's a rotary. It's there for a reason.

CryoCarnage
01-22-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr
haha owned.

SpasticDwarf
01-22-2006, 10:30 AM
are rotarys really that unreliable?

Lex350
01-22-2006, 12:52 PM

please honor us with your wisdom and explain that comment

(this should be good)

Anyway, I wouldn't do it. If the wndows have been left down there will be mold growing in the car. You would have to strip the car down completely to get rid of it. The car sounds like it would be a money pit. If you want an RX7, go find one in better shape.

Lex350
01-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
are rotarys really that unreliable?

no

....when you twin turbo them yes
...normally aspirated...hell no.
There are many on the road past 200k. It’s a myth perpetrated by people that know nothing about rotaries.

AsianCaucasian
01-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Which junkyard?

Gravy_83
01-22-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by rotten42

no

....when you twin turbo them yes
...normally aspirated...hell no.
There are many on the road past 200k. It’s a myth perpetrated by people that know nothing about rotaries.

I agree mine had allmost 200k on it and ran like a top. I brought it to 255 more than once and it made it there quick... awesome car and it was an 88. i dream of owning an rx8 at some point because of the reliability of a rotory engine that is taken care of

Team_Mclaren
01-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by AsianCaucasian
Which junkyard?

his from the stats

and for 500USD thats not worth it, you can proabably find one for cheaper and with everything intact.

Zephyr
01-22-2006, 03:42 PM

please honor us with your wisdom and explain that comment

(this should be good)

Anyway, I wouldn't do it. If the wndows have been left down there will be mold growing in the car. You would have to strip the car down completely to get rid of it. The car sounds like it would be a money pit. If you want an RX7, go find one in better shape.

Short Summary:
Triangle Triangle Spin Triangle Spin Seals Seals Rebuild Triangle Spin Spin Triangle Spin Seals Seals Rebuild Again Triangle Spin

Rotary is an awesome motor, just it's not that reliable in a lot of years, and not many people know how to properly work on a rotary engine. Parts are expensive as well.

schurchill39
01-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I have noticed that too with my rx-7, the parts are fricken ridiculously priced. It also doesnt help that I know very little about them either. A tune up alone at the mazda dealership is gunna cost me like $400 CND.

My car only has 10k on the engine though so as long as I maintain it i should be good

But I agree, dont buy that rx-7, its probably in the junk yard for a reason.

ApexDrift
01-22-2006, 06:03 PM
might be ok as a parts car:dunno:

Lex350
01-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Short Summary:
Triangle Triangle Spin Triangle Spin Seals Seals Rebuild Triangle Spin Spin Triangle Spin Seals Seals Rebuild Again Triangle Spin

Rotary is an awesome motor, just it's not that reliable in a lot of years, and not many people know how to properly work on a rotary engine. Parts are expensive as well.

where do you get this info from that it isn't reliable? Also that doesn't have anything to do with the parts being expensive. There are enough people around that know how to work to the motor. It's a much easier motor to work on that your average 4 cyl car these days.

Like I said before the only model people have had troubles with is the last generation FD RX7's. When you twin turbo any motor it is going to need more care and attention.

AsianCaucasian
01-22-2006, 09:35 PM

where do you get this info from that it isn't reliable? Also that doesn't have anything to do with the parts being expensive. There are enough people around that know how to work to the motor. It's a much easier motor to work on that your average 4 cyl car these days.

Like I said before the only model people have had troubles with is the last generation FD RX7's. When you twin turbo any motor it is going to need more care and attention.

Word, its a much simpler engine. You could literally take it apart in your basement and rebuild it in a day. Parts aren't expensive at all and if taken care of it can last for 250k kms +

Zephyr
01-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, you two are rotary owners I would of thought you would know more about your own triangle spinning engines than anyone else would.

Parts being expensive does make a difference whether or not this is a good car to get incomparison to a regular piston engine.

Lol I'm not even gonna bother arguing.

craigcd
01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
There is a 87 at pick and pull right now for those who are interested.

Craig

Lex350
01-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Wow, you two are rotary owners I would of thought you would know more about your own triangle spinning engines than anyone else would.

Parts being expensive does make a difference whether or not this is a good car to get incomparison to a regular piston engine.

Lol I'm not even gonna bother arguing.

I didn't say that. I was questioning how you relate reliability with ethe expense of the parts. Whereas I wouldn;t buy the car in question it has nothing to do with the overall reliability of rotary engines....your wrong on that point!

SpasticDwarf
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
well against my better judgement, i bought it. 400 bucks. upon closer inspection, there is NO rust, ANYWHERE. the suspension is actually rust free.. the car is in amazing shape..

engine is in running condition, and i might get it running soon. the interior is actually in pretty decent shape too! ill get pics up soon. i know im an idiot, but whatever.

gp36912
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
good on ya, taking chances on something that might be good. it is problably a good idea to take the engine out, take it apart, and inspect it, that way if it does work properly you know, plus you can get the parts cleaned. it would make sure the engine dosn't die on you because there was one little thing wrong with a perfectly good engine, and turns it into scrap metal

gp36912
01-23-2006, 09:23 PM
^^^^ o and ive done that before, but it was at my old work, my boss bought 2 neons, one had a flawless body, and the other had a good engine, we started the other engine to see how it ran and if we could use it on something else, maybe transplant it back into the less perfect bodied neon, and we started it, it ran ok for 2 minutes, then the timing belt snagged and snapped, causing the cams to stop and snapping a connecting rod to a piston, there were scratches on the piston wall in the engine block that were about 3 mm deep in 2 of the 4 pistons, bent one of the camshafts, cracked and chipped a few of the camshaft holders. etc, the oil pan had been dented by one of the crankshaft balancer weights got chipped by the connecting rod, thus turning a completely good engine into scrap metal :P (i was allowed to study the engine for a few days, the shop had a few minor jobs and my boss thought it'd be a good learning experience for me lol)

BlueFrenzy
01-24-2006, 01:40 AM
^^^ And people think rotaries are unreliable? So many things in a piston engine can go BOOM! In the rotary, you only have to worry about the seals, rotors and eccentric shaft. As mentioned, anything you twin turbo has a higher wear and tear.

SpasticDwarf, was the engine turboed? If not you might be in luck. Sounds like a great project.

Fez_turbo
01-24-2006, 01:52 AM
whenever you get the chance make sure you post pics of the progress and what is looks like. im interested to see.

youre a real risktaker, just once it starts breaking be carefull not to just keep puttin money into it cause you might blow alot away.

other than that good luck:thumbsup:

grrouch
01-24-2006, 01:58 AM
yes man do it itll be siiiiiick!!!!:thumbsup: dont listen to what everyone else has to say. bit of work itl be worth it in the long run when selling it.

SpasticDwarf
01-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by BlueFrenzy
^^^ And people think rotaries are unreliable? So many things in a piston engine can go BOOM! In the rotary, you only have to worry about the seals, rotors and eccentric shaft. As mentioned, anything you twin turbo has a higher wear and tear.

SpasticDwarf, was the engine turboed? If not you might be in luck. Sounds like a great project.

nope, no turbo. i plan on tearing the whole thing down anyways, because its the right hting to do.

can anyone tell me how hard it is to replace the apex seals and whatnot?

i REALLY looking forward to it :-D

Originally posted by Fez_turbo whenever you get the chance make sure you post pics of the progress and what is looks like. im interested to see.

youre a real risktaker, just once it starts breaking be carefull not to just keep puttin money into it cause you might blow alot away.

lol "when it starts breaking".. dont you mean "if?" ... whos to say that once i get the engine in good condition, that it cant run as well as other fc3s engines? and dont worry, ill take lots of pics. i got some pics now but i gotta upload them. heres one right now.... crappy pic, i know. confined space.. but hey, its the best i can do :(

other than that good luck

Fez_turbo
01-24-2006, 04:11 PM

lol "when it starts breaking".. dont you mean "if?" ...
other than that good luck

yeah sorry thats what i meant.:rofl:

BlueFrenzy
01-24-2006, 07:31 PM
From that pic ... it doesn't look THAT bad. But lets see some interior pics.

As for the apex seals ... it's not terribly difficult but getting your hands on parts is the costly part. If you haven't already, sign up or start looking on www.rx7club.com or other such sites for engine rebuilt help. Congrats on joining the illustrious rotary community.

SpasticDwarf
01-24-2006, 08:23 PM
yeah, i registered there. heres an interior shot. we cleaned it out after the pic, its nowhere NEAR as bad as it looks.... i know thats hard to believe, but its true..

Z24_3.1.
01-25-2006, 01:23 AM
wheres the shifter? lol

gp36912
01-25-2006, 10:04 AM
easy thing to fix :P lol ^^^^^

CryoCarnage
01-25-2006, 12:15 PM
yeah, i registered there. heres an interior shot. we cleaned it out after the pic, its nowhere NEAR as bad as it looks.... i know thats hard to believe, but its true..
is the door green?!? man that doesnt look good.

SpasticDwarf
01-26-2006, 12:47 PM
well, day 1, 4 hours of work done. got the interior looking GREAT! ill post pics when im home. ive got the car on wheels now, but one is flat. seats are out, drives side is a no-go.. so it gives me an excuse to get a bride seat. today im hoping to get the engine to turn over. :-D