PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car as a gift

rtsen
01-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Does anyone know how this process works?

I'm thinking about buying a car for my parent as a gift. If I purchase the car in Calgary then I’ll have to drive it to Edmonton to give it to them.

How does the insurance and registration work? Would I have to get the car registered and insured first before I can drive it up? I heard about temporary insurance but I not sure if that will be sufficient for me (I hear it only covers you to and from the mechanics).

Then when I have the car in Edmonton, can I just give the car to them or do I have to sell it to them with a fake bill of sale?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Pee_Sack
01-22-2006, 01:21 AM
I dont know a lot about this but I think your best bet would be to call your insurance company.

retro-steve
01-22-2006, 01:22 AM
if you already have a registered/insured alberta car talk to your insurance company about throwing the plates from your car to the gift car. when you do the bill of sale it has to go in your name BUT you do not need to register the car yet. just as long as your insurance company knows your plates are going onto this car you should be good to drive it up just with the bill of sale and the inssurance proof from your other car. once it's there transfer ownership to your parents, take your plates and get them to drive you back to calgary :thumbsup:

911sc
01-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Sometimes you can get temp transfer insurance from an insurance company for as little as $10 a day just give them a call

Fez_turbo
01-24-2006, 12:19 AM
i heard about temporary insurance too but its different with each insurance company.