PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Celica

Azn_Drunk
01-22-2006, 06:20 PM
JW if a 1991 celica 3rd owner, 210,000k on it worth 5500?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115522

dodad
01-22-2006, 06:23 PM
nope...i bought mine 3 years ago gts model $3000 176k

calgarygts
01-22-2006, 06:26 PM
ummm....3000 for a gts with 176k is unheard of unless there are problems with the car. If there were no problems then you got the deal of the century at 3k. I sold my 90GTS two years ago with 160k for 6000$. I would say a 91 with 210kms would be reasonable at 5k as long as it's in great shape.

Godfuader
01-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
[B]ummm....3000 for a gts with 176k is unheard of unless there are problems with the car. If there were no problems then you got the deal of the century at 3k. I sold my 90GTS two years ago with 160k for 6000$. I would say a 91 with 210kms would be reasonable at 5k as long as it's in great shape. [/B :werd: The one for sale looks like its in mint condition with a good owner maintaining it.

Azn_Drunk
01-22-2006, 11:44 PM
hm...so $5500's not a bad price than huh?
I shall think'bout it, thx guys

CryoCarnage
01-23-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Azn_Drunk
hm...so $5500's not a bad price than huh?
I shall think'bout it, thx guys
i think 5500 is very high for a FWD econobox. but thats me personally. if i were u, you can get a AWD alltrac in the states for about 5500.

calgarygts
01-23-2006, 08:42 AM
hahaha....maybe a rust bucket. Alltracs go for a premium as they're very rare, in the states to find an alltrac in the same kind of shape as the car he's looking at would cost you much more than 5500$. I've been watching prices of these cars for the last six to seven years (and have owned five celicas in the process) and I think that 5500 for this car is reasonable - not a great deal but not a bad deal either.
A tercel is an econobox, along with a civic. Preludes and celicas are much nicer cars.

lastprodigy
01-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Lol that guy has been try to sell that car for ages..I think he started at about 8-9K :rofl: either way, the car is probably worthh about the same as a similar year/condition/km integra.....so id say about 4K

CryoCarnage
01-23-2006, 02:47 PM
hahaha....maybe a rust bucket. Alltracs go for a premium as they're very rare, in the states to find an alltrac in the same kind of shape as the car he's looking at would cost you much more than 5500$. I've been watching prices of these cars for the last six to seven years (and have owned five celicas in the process) and I think that 5500 for this car is reasonable - not a great deal but not a bad deal either.
A tercel is an econobox, along with a civic. Preludes and celicas are much nicer cars.
well the 'rust bucket' st165 my friend got was for 500 bucks and its not even that bad. And that guy has owned a 91 GTS with 315,000 kms and sold it for 1000. it wasnt n bad shape either.

ramminghard
01-23-2006, 02:58 PM
Too high IMO

TEAMFaint
01-23-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd say this car would be worth it. I got my 92 GTS for $3300, it was in good condition but no where near as good as this car. Brand new paint job + nothing wrong with it. I'd pay $5500 for it, I've seen 240's with a salvaged title go for over $3000, its all cause its a fad. Nobody knows what these things are capable of IMO. A 5SFE will run for over 500,000 kms gaurenteed if you maintain it, or you can just swap it with a 3SGTE and have a rev happy turbo'd motor for under 2 grand.

celicaguy
01-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
Lol that guy has been try to sell that car for ages..I think he started at about 8-9K :rofl: either way, the car is probably worthh about the same as a similar year/condition/km integra.....so id say about 4K

Ive driven early 90's integras and celicas, they are in no way comparable. The build and ride quality, of the celica was years ahead. You might compare this to a 94+ integra, but not the same year.

TEAMFaint
01-23-2006, 08:07 PM
^ I'm with celicaguy.

If any of you guys have even had the opportunity to drive one of these cars you would be astonished. If you wanna compare an econobox of an early 90's Integra to a Sporty 90's celica, no way will you notice anythign similar. The celica has much higher ride comfory and way better options than any early 90's integra ever had.

+1 For the Celica

-1 For the Integra

If only you guys actually knew anything else other than Honda's and 240's.

Frosty66
01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
If you don't like the price don't worry about it, I'm not forcing you to buy it.

schurchill39
01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I have seen this particular car and i personally think its well worth the $ he is asking. IMO the early 90's celica was way ahead of its time in both styling and ride comfort. And I will vouch for this car, i know its been properly maintained so there should be nothing to worry about there

Godfuader
01-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
... IMO the early 90's celica was way ahead of its time in both styling and ride comfort. ...
:werd: The Gen. 5 GT-S had the 10 speaker sound system (incl. 2 subs in the door), carbon fibre lip, contoured power lumber sport seats, 3 piece spoiler, higher torque than hp engine (with camry reliability), 4wheel disc brakes...one of the better FWD for its time.

GTS Jeff
01-24-2006, 01:03 AM
$3500 would be a fair price.

The car is in good shape, but 210,000km is very high. You can start expecting numerous repairs when a car has seen that much use.

Mikey_008
01-24-2006, 01:06 AM
got one for sale... needs a little work, but letting it go for a steal.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103094

Weapon_R
01-24-2006, 01:08 AM
Sorry to knock on the seller, but a set of wheels doesn't boost a car's value by 2500.00.

1) high km

2) new paint (this isn't a good thing)

3) Not even a GT-S.

Mikey_008 is selling a real bargain, a GTS with no body rust for 3000obo...now that's deal.

Azn_Drunk
01-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Frosty66
If you don't like the price don't worry about it, I'm not forcing you to buy it.

lol, nono, just making sure

Frosty66
01-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Well on Canada Trader right now there are 2 Celicas:
1) 1992 GTS 163,000 KM $8,800
2) 1990 GTS 205,000 $5,995

So I wouldn't say I'm to far off here, and none of you have seen the condition of this car so before you start criticizing my car, look into some things.

calgarygts
01-24-2006, 09:00 AM
The other celica for sale has mystery problems like steering fluid coming from 'somewhere', no heat that 'could be the thermostat', etc. Not a good buy IMO. 3000$ is a good price for a car like that, but for a car in immaculate shape 5500$ is a good price. GTSjeff 210k is not that high in that car. I have owned two of that model and both went over 310k with no major repairs needed, just stuff like brakes, battery, etc. I may be a bit biased since I've only owned celicas, but I do know their tendencies as well as the market for them and think this is a decent deal.

GTS Jeff
01-24-2006, 11:07 AM
The other celica for sale has mystery problems like steering fluid coming from 'somewhere', no heat that 'could be the thermostat', etc. Not a good buy IMO. 3000$ is a good price for a car like that, but for a car in immaculate shape 5500$ is a good price. GTSjeff 210k is not that high in that car. I have owned two of that model and both went over 310k with no major repairs needed, just stuff like brakes, battery, etc. I may be a bit biased since I've only owned celicas, but I do know their tendencies as well as the market for them and think this is a decent deal. Well, look at the evidence here. There are two Celicas here, both with 210k km. One has strange leaks and stuff, the other one doesn't. Doesn't it stand to reason that the second one has a good chance of following suit soon after? I know there are other factors like how the car was cared for, but mileage is mileage.

IMO, any typical car with more than 200k km, such as a Celica, should be considered a beater car (albeit a nice one,) and as such, not worth much more than $3000. Just my opinion though. I'm niggardly.

calgarygts
01-24-2006, 11:16 AM
My opinion is that Frosty's car will be good for at the very least another 200k kms, and will not need a whole lot replaced in between. For a car that looks like it does 5500$ for that much use is a bargain. I don't know what niggardly is, but it sure does sound funny.

TEAMFaint
01-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Obviously nobody here knows anything else other THAN HONDAS and 240's. :thumbsdow

If you have ever heard of a 5SFE you would know they are one of the most reliable engines you could get. Toyota used the 5SFE from 90-99 in all of their celicas as well as Camry's, these things are bulletproof. Darren is a great owner and maintained this thing perfectly. If you guys pay $3000 for a salvaged 240 with rust all over and wont pay $5500 for an immaculate Celica, you guys are on DRUUUUGS. :rofl:

GTS Jeff
01-24-2006, 02:32 PM
My opinion is that Frosty's car will be good for at the very least another 200k kms, and will not need a whole lot replaced in between. For a car that looks like it does 5500$ for that much use is a bargain. I don't know what niggardly is, but it sure does sound funny. A car not needing major work up to 400,000km?? That's ridiculous! We're talking about a sport compact that is being driven daily, sometimes hard, sometimes not...this can't be compared to a Camry that will see 50% throttle for it's entire life. The car already needed a new tranny after 100,000km, so what's the basis for thinking it won't need more major work for the next 300,000?

BTW, niggardly means cheap-assed. :D

calgarygts
01-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Hahahahaha, I'm also a bit niggardly.
I base my assumptions on my past experiences with the car in question. I've never had to replace anything big - biggest exception would be the cv joints which can be done for around 100 bucks a piece (assuming the person does it themself). The fifth gens and fourth gens (different motor, but similar) I've owned had been driven daily, very high kms and since I was younger back then I drove the shit out of them. Maybe I had factory freaks, but I'm more inclined to think that the cars are reliable long lived vehicles.

Weapon_R
01-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by TEAMFaint
Obviously nobody here knows anything else other THAN HONDAS and 240's. :thumbsdow

Yes, obviously you are the sole authority on anything to do with Toyotas or Celicas in general.

The only reason that the above Celica has no rust is because it was painted - there is no way to tell the quality or type of work that went into it. Say what you want, but i'll take a rust-free GTS that's never been painted and has a couple minor problems over a GT that's almost twice the price and has a new paintjob, reasons unknown.

calgarygts
01-24-2006, 02:53 PM
It's not that hard to take a really good look at the paint and under/inside the car to see if there is any rust (the car was painted a while ago so if there is any rust it should be bubbling up by now). Just a thought.

TEAMFaint
01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Athis can't be compared to a Camry that will see 50% throttle for it's entire life. The car already needed a new tranny after 100,000km, so what's the basis for thinking it won't need more major work for the next 300,000?

BTW, niggardly means cheap-assed. :D

Just a few facts here:

Camry and the 5th and 6th gen Celica's had the same engine (5SFE).

The tranny this car now comes with is from the GTS, which is capable of handling a 3SGTE where a GT tranny is less stable.

If you treat a Toyota right it can easily hit 500,000kms without any big problems. A friend of mine (who is also on the boards) his father owners a Toyota 4Runner and it just ran over 400,000 kms and is still on the original everything. And has over 80% clutch left. You just need to know how to drive if you wanna keep your cars running and not hitting the junkyard at 270,000 kms.

Frosty66
01-24-2006, 05:04 PM
1) There was no rust on this car to begin with, it's been taken care of from day one.
2) The car was repainted for a KNOWN reason, and thats because someone slid into me and tapped my passenger side. The damage was so minimal, but he didnt want to pay it so he took me to court and ended up forking out more then he started with. Hence the new paintjob.
3) I'm apologize for all the people who bag and drive the shit out of their car, but thats not me. I don't even race it. So before you begin to point out everything wrong with my car, perhaps you should look into things a little more. Thx for the support Calgary and Faint :)

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Yes, obviously you are the sole authority on anything to do with Toyotas or Celicas in general.

The only reason that the above Celica has no rust is because it was painted - there is no way to tell the quality or type of work that went into it. Say what you want, but i'll take a rust-free GTS that's never been painted and has a couple minor problems over a GT that's almost twice the price and has a new paintjob, reasons unknown.