PDA

View Full Version : rear "strut" tower bar

szw
03-06-2003, 09:47 PM
So I can't have a conventional rear strut tower bar, since my struts don't enter the trunk...

Is there any point in getting one that bolts to the car frame in the trunk?

I already have a front strut tower bar.

hjr
03-06-2003, 09:50 PM
ya, if your autocrossing. Otherwise its pointless (other than looks)

audio1der
03-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Dude- I wouldn't steer you wrong. I do autocross(why I want it), and trance (B15) said it made a difference in his ride.
I've found a hookup for TIG welding, so unless aluminum is ungodly expensive compared to steel, that's what we'll use.
I'm not looking to profit from this- I'm only trying to cover materials.
The sheer cost is my motivation. $40 vs. $340 or $425 for a rear anti-roll bar, which I know will do more, but come on!

GTS Jeff
03-07-2003, 10:59 AM
a ghetto rigged brace across the frame WILL work, but remember that its not fully tested the way aftermarket strut tower bars are. u could be stiffening the wrong part of the car, or over stiffening.

anyway, this guy mentioned welding...i wouldnt weld this bar to your car if thats what he means. welding isnt exactly easily reversible.

szw
03-07-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by audio1der
Dude- I wouldn't steer you wrong. I do autocross(why I want it), and trance (B15) said it made a difference in his ride.
I've found a hookup for TIG welding, so unless aluminum is ungodly expensive compared to steel, that's what we'll use.
I'm not looking to profit from this- I'm only trying to cover materials.
The sheer cost is my motivation. $40 vs. $340 or $425 for a rear anti-roll bar, which I know will do more, but come on!
I was just checking! You've got email!

KAOS41
03-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't use tig welding as it requires a lot of skill and it is used more for stainless. Aluminum is light but soft it will not provide ridged strength you need. use 1" od pipe it will weigh more but it is alot stronger

audio1der
03-10-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm going to have it fabb'd by a mchine shop, but haven't had time to check on materials. I have to look into the weight vs. strength of alum- you're right.

MrX
03-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by szw
So I can't have a conventional rear strut tower bar, since my struts don't enter the trunk...

Is there any point in getting one that bolts to the car frame in the trunk?

I already have a front strut tower bar.

what does the rear strut tower look like in your car? Anything there look remotely like a mounting point of some sort? As for materials, i used angle iron for my ghetto rig.

audio1der
03-12-2003, 08:45 AM
We don't (SZW and I both habe B15 Sentras) have rear stryt towers as such. Our struts are housed completely outside of the car.
The point I'mlooking to reinforce is directly behind the rear seat.
See this link:
http://community.webshots.com/album/27318545knZvnEjHyY
The pics are of a bar a fellow in the US had made, and is my template. He had a Group buy for $150US! HAHAHAHA

bigboom
03-12-2003, 11:00 AM
the only thing is szw...if you have the A/f Package in your sentra you will either have to remove the stock sub or find some way around it. thats the problem im up against...do i remove my sub for a rear strut bar or not...