PDA

View Full Version : Point me in the right direction

TimG
01-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Moved here a few weeks ago and have recovered from that stupid canadian tire out of province inspection fiasco. :banghead:

I am looking for a good place to get my hair cut. I don't want a fancy $100 style, I want a place that's going to do it "oldschool" with the straight razor to shave the hair on the back of the neck and around the ears. Maybe once and a while go there for a straight razor shave. My wife is also looking for a place to get her hair done. Anyone?

We're also looking for some nice clothing shops. You know the deal - nice shirts and sweaters for me, good stuff for the missus. I heard that there was some part of richmond rd where there were a bunch of outlet stores? I'm *still* waiting for a frickin superpages book.. i ordered it before new years.

anyhooooo chime in if you can help :thumbsup:

soupey
01-23-2006, 05:23 PM
theres only two places that i know of that have a bunch of outlets...westhills in the south, and deerfoot mall in the north.

which part of the city r u in? no point giving u pointers if they arent anywhere near u

TimG
01-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I live in the deep south and work downtown.

3G
01-23-2006, 06:19 PM
The outlets I believe are on Sarcee Trail & Richmond Road, some awesome deals can be had

nismodrifter
01-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Are old skool hair cuts allowed in Canada (ie: the blade being used to do the neck/around the ears)??? I would think not :confused:.
And yes...my apologies if thats a stupid question but all I see is problems...I've never seen one done here.

Damn I had one when I was in India...best haircut EVER!!

irfaan
01-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Dude, check out the barber in South Centre Mall for yourself - and Diva Hair Salon on 17th ave for your wife;) I know my hair stylists.

3G
01-23-2006, 06:50 PM
wats a old school haircut wtf

szw
01-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 3G
wats a old school haircut wtf he just described it in the same sentence.

TimG
01-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Are old skool hair cuts allowed in Canada (ie: the blade being used to do the neck/around the ears)??? I would think not :confused:.
And yes...my apologies if thats a stupid question but all I see is problems...I've never seen one done here.

Damn I had one when I was in India...best haircut EVER!!

I don't think that there would be a problem.

I knew of several places back in Ottawa that would do it, but they were all places with older barbers from europe :)

DJ Lazy
01-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

You are correct.. They have been outlawed for awhile now in Alberta.. Was out in Banff this summer for my buddies wedding and we Groom and Groomsmen (myself included) wanted to get an old fashioned shave, and there is not a single place in Banff that will do it as it is illegal, so we drove to Canmore.. went into a hairstylist place (not a barber), and asked the woman if they did them, she gave us the same story... no way, its outlawed etc etc... Finally we got her to agree to it, but we had to go get the shaving cream ourselves... She did give them to us (i opted out as I am not a hairy guy to begin with).... But its definitely not somethign that is done anymore LEGALLY...

derek123
01-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Every hair cut I got in montreal was like that.

so sweet.

Illegal here, wtf?

nismodrifter
01-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Thats what I was thinking...just can't picture it happening here (not just AB..I mean all of Canada).
Like I said...all I can see in my head is the things that COULD go wrong.

Ekliptix
01-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I had the razor cut in Sicamous, BC a couple years ago. That warm shaving cream on the neck feels gooood.

derek123
01-24-2006, 12:23 AM
^ ... ?

I've been cut with scissors, clippers, a comb (dont ask), but never a straight blade.

If it's your job for 8 hrs a day you tend to get good at it.

sanitary issue perhaps ?

lamp_shade_2000
01-24-2006, 12:28 AM
try figaro's in penny lane mall just off 9th ave. they used to do straight blade shaves. They do good haircuts. Any chance of a straight blade ask for vince. He used to use it for bangs. weird technique, kinda hur but good outcome.

TimG
01-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Political Correctness strikes again :thumbsdow

bah

OK, so how about good places to go for clothing? What kind of outlet stores are there on Sarcee Trail and Richmond Road?

Cword
01-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Visit Haymour's Barber shop on Macleod Trail in the strip mall north of the Rona
Fawez, the chair by the window

Ben
01-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Tim, where do you live.

This helps us give you better ideas.

"Deep South" to me = McKenzie Lake/Cranston Area on the deep South East, and Shawnessy/Bridalwood in the Deep South West.

Vagueness is useless, this is a big sprawling city, hour and a half drives return to get your hair cut or buy a shirt might not be top priority.

I'm born and raised here, and would like to help.

What community are you in?

Thanks.

TimG
01-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm in Millrise

TimG
01-27-2006, 09:38 AM
bump

ringmaster
01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
i forget the name of the salon, but its on memorial and 52nd Ave NE. The guy there will do your straight blade shave if u want.

nismodrifter
01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Yeah go to Haymours barber shop in the strip mall next to Rona as already suggested above, my dad has gone there for over 20 years...great guy. Not sure if he does the straight blade (I would think he does) but he is le wicked barber.

Ahh Millrise...I lived there for 12 years...I'm always in/around there so if you see the Jetta just honk/scream at me :D