PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Professionally maintain and protect your leather seats so they NEVER crack

Graham_A_M
01-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Guys.. I made this post in another forum... but I thought I'd link it here for all you to see. Hope this helps.

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144182

NickGT
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the good info man. I'll put it to good use.:thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
01-24-2006, 07:28 PM
No probs... most posts to come.

just remember: if the pics dont work.. check back in an hour... since there are hourly file transfer limits that are sometimes over-passed: thus allowing the pics to not load.

Sorry. Imageshack doesn't seem to work for me.. so I use Geocities as my file host. :love:

turbotrip
01-24-2006, 07:47 PM
wow thanks a lot buddy ive got quite a few leather jackets that ive retired, maybe this method can bring some of them back to life :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
01-24-2006, 07:49 PM
^ Thats exactly what I did.. the jacket is like new.. You'd be AMAZED at how soft the leather will be.. its softer then titties.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow, great how-to! Now to track down some of that leather moisturizer...

Azn_Rice_Man
02-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for a great post! Most appreciated!

Where would we be able to find some of that leather moisturizer in Calgary? Anyone know?

Graham_A_M
02-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Call up this "Production Detail supply" company, if you can (some how) find the number, if you can't, Call up Advantage Ford, as to speak with "Cheyrl" (my old boss from ways back) and ask for the number. If anybody can post the number here when someone finds it, that would really help out Cheryl, since all this bothering will drive her nuts, for sure. :banghead:

I think the distributors name is "Ron"(I think thats his name) :dunno: He'll personally deliever it to you. Actually it was him that showed me this technique. Ron is the most unbelieveable detailer you'll ever see. Any questions, ASK HIM. He knows EVERYTHING, its incredible (I'm not joking)

Just so you know, its only sold in a 3.8 liter quanitity, which is $45.00

But thats good for 30 applications, so it'll last you FOREVER if you dont do this on anybody elses car. Otherwise you can sell half the jug to some other member or whatever.

Also, when talking to "Rob" or "Ron" ask for this "Le Serra"
Its the most amazing wax I've *ever* used. It'll give you a showroom shine with only one 15min application. Its $25 for a one liter bottle.

Azn_Rice_Man
02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

3G
02-03-2006, 03:47 PM
somebody should buy the jug and split it up among the forum for like 2 or 3 bucks an applicaiton

question for OP, how well would human lotion work?

Weapon_R
02-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Will this work for leatherette?

QuasarCav
02-03-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 3G

question for OP, how well would human lotion work?

You would be red and sore if you produced enough "lotion" to do your seats.

Strider
02-03-2006, 06:22 PM
You can buy 8 oz bottles of leather "renewal lotion" at Danier. Works great for jackets, so presumably it would work for seats.

3G
02-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

:rofl: :banghead: i didnt mean that kinda lotion,like the lotion we use for our hands

Azn_Rice_Man
02-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 3G

:rofl: :banghead: i didnt mean that kinda lotion,like the lotion we use for our hands

LMAO! :nut:

brandon
02-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
03-01-2006, 12:05 AM
I found the phone number for "Production Detail supply" this is the main Alberta warehouse. To get the products delievered to your door: will probably be at the discretion of the dispatcher, but the main number is 1-780-458-5373

Uncle ben
03-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Will this work on leather steering wheels. Mine is all shiney.

Graham_A_M
03-19-2006, 10:17 PM
^ yes. But scrub it really hard, since the pores are probably stuffed. It wont crack anyway, I've never seen a steering wheel crack for some stupid reason, so its your call.

Graham_A_M
07-13-2006, 11:22 AM
bump for those who havn't seen this.

Graham_A_M
07-13-2006, 11:28 AM
about that Production detail supply; call up Ron at 875-1537 He's the Calgary distributor. I'll be buying a 3.8 liter jug of this stuff, so just PM me if you want to buy a smaller portion of this for your own car.

sputnik
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Oddly enough. IKEA sells a 2 part leather care kit called ABSORB that works quite well. One part is a cleaner the other is the conditioner.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=16060&catalogId=10103&storeId=3&productId=11712&langId=-15&chosenPartNumber=10032294

Graham_A_M
07-13-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey guys, I just bought some more of that "Goop" today. Actually the 'Prime' stuff used in the tutorial is no longer used. Instead it was replaced by a product from Maalco (I'm sure you've heard of them)

but the stuff works even better. Its $22 for a 1 liter bottle. That bottle will last you a LONG time if you only use it on your car(s).

So I hope that helps but you can get it from Don, who operates out of a detail supply delivery truck.

Its Don at 875-1537
He's the BEST guy to talk to, probably one of the best detailers you'll ever see.. he's just a library of knowledge when it comes to anything detailing. :thumbsup:

so if you have any questions ASK HIM!!

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
Great tips, my S2K seats look 2K times better now! Hurrary for Malco.

Also, for washing the leather I used Murphy's Oil soap. I use it in the house for all my wood furninture and it's recommended for leather as well since it is a vegetable oil based soap that won't dry shit out. Worked real good too!

shox
08-27-2006, 11:32 PM
VERY GOOD ADVICE MAN! I never knew this about leather until now and I just bought a leather interior car 8 months ago. I will do this as soon as I have time and make sure I recommend it to people. Again, very good advice, and thank you!

One question, you said Car-Brite is very good, but they're usually only commercial distributed. Is there anywhere or anyone I can call for some leather conditioner?

Lex350
09-22-2006, 11:13 PM
I use the leather cleaning kit I got when I bought my leather couches...very nice stuff...It's quite mild because it is meant for non-treated full grain leather.

Just like what was talked about in the original post...the better the leather, the better products you should use.

Lex350
09-22-2006, 11:16 PM
If you want top learn more about leather go jere. The company is called Spinneybeck...one of the largest leather suppliers in the world.

http://www.spinneybeck.com/main.cfm?vPage=PrintedMat

There are articles on determining leather quality - maintenance...etc

Graham_A_M
09-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Well I'm glad that tutorial recieved lots of "Mileage" in terms of helping people. I personally hate Leather just because in order for it to look great well into the cars life, that WHOLE procedure has to be done at least once every two months for the drivers seat and quarterly for the other seats... cloth seats are zero maintenence, and they're not torturous in extreme temps. :dunno:

Lex350
09-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Well I'm glad that tutorial recieved lots of "Mileage" in terms of helping people. I personally hate Leather just because in order for it to look great well into the cars life, that WHOLE procedure has to be done at least once every two months for the drivers seat and quarterly for the other seats... cloth seats are zero maintenence, and they're not torturous in extreme temps. :dunno:

you don't ever clean your cloth seats?

Graham_A_M
09-23-2006, 05:50 PM
^ of course, but its just a simple shampooing once in a while, like perhaps twice a year.. and even thats lots (but only because I'm an ass for cleanliness) . Its not manditory like re-doing the leather seats. :dunno:
I used to have a 1984 S10 with 842,000km on it, the seats still looked like new.. only the vinyl on the sides was a little torn. That kind of set the tone for why I perfer cloth.

Jed Bouscal
10-03-2006, 01:19 AM
That was an informative post, good job! A little maintenance goes a long way with leather.

I just wanted to point out that shiny leather can also result from the use of products like Armorall on your leather. Also, clear coated leather actually has a very thin layer of vinyl over it to protect it. Avoid using harsh cleaners in this case as it can degrade the finish! The holes are punched to allow the leather to breathe. Hope this information helps everyone take care of their leather!

hussein
10-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Great tutorial. I have some zymol products, unfortunatly fell very behind on taking care of my seats a little crack or two have formed! Hopefully these tips will allow me to recover it. Thanks.