PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Civic SiR

GTS Jeff
07-06-2002, 02:02 AM
A few hours ago, my dad brought home a brand new Civic SiR with 830km on it. He borrowed it from a friend who had it as a loaner before his Pilot arrived. The first thing my dad tells me as he steps in the door is, "Jeff, you can't drive this car because insurance won't cover it." Well I took the key anyway, and took the baby out for a spin around the block. Oh yea, I didn't know how to drive stick. Well, I do now...thanks to driving around the neighborhood a million times in the SiR.

My impressions of the car. First off, it looks AWESOME in real life as compared to pics online. The interior is also very nice and Honda like. Everything is solid and all the buttons have a reassuring "click" to them. The seats are supportive, the front is spacious and roomy, although the rear seats might as well not be there. Visibility is far from exceptional when looking backwards thru the hatch, but it isn't really an issue. The steering wheel is very nice, it is a 3 spoke design that forces you to adopt a 2-10 hand position. Steering is very nice, it has just right amount of stiffness/power steering. The suspension is pretty nice, but not very tolerating. Even the smallest bump is transmitted to the steering wheel and can throw you off course. Basically, it makes the driver pay 100% attention while driving. It comes down to personal preference whether one likes or not. I like the engine; beyond 2000rpm, the engine is extremely smooth and free revving. It gives out a very pleasant whir that is quite subdued in the cabin, but that is due to good NVH insulation. Opening the window reveals that the engine isn't really all that quiet. The transmission is definitely different than your average car's. The gearing is damn close, and it demanded a shift every 2 seconds if you wanted to keep the revs under 4000 rpm. In fact, I run thru the gears so quick, I was left wanting a 6th gear. The throws are short, the gates are close, and the clutch only needs a tiny peck to switch gears.

All in all, this car has really surprised me. I wasn't expecting much, having already known the specs, and having seen the pics online. However, it is a blast to drive, and looks very sharp in real life. If you are even slightly considering this car, do yourself a favor and try it out.

GTS Jeff
07-06-2002, 02:17 AM
Basically, the SiR is the PIMPSHIT :bigpimp:

gpomp
07-06-2002, 02:21 AM
Which magazine did you copy that out of? Hehe, jk...

How long did it take you to learn how to drive stick?? You teach yourself or something? How does the position of that shifter feel?

GTS Jeff
07-06-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
Which magazine did you copy that out of? Hehe, jk...

How long did it take you to learn how to drive stick?? You teach yourself or something? How does the position of that shifter feel? C&D man! Yea I basically taught myself to drive stick...caught on pretty quick I think. The only time I've driven stick before this is when I test drove a CRX.

The shifter position is alright, although I prefer the normal position so that my arm doesn't have to be raised the whole time. The rallyish position does make it easier to figure out what gear you're in though.

BarryBeach
07-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Those SiR's are nice ... i just don't really like the low visibility in the back ... what if a small kid is behind you ... you will just plow them over :thumbsdow

max_boost
07-06-2002, 03:34 AM
I wanted to test drive the SiR and Calgary Honda would not lett me! WTF is up with that? I also wanted to test drive the S2000 and again they would not let me! WTF is up with that? But I'm happy with my car, for now at least

James
07-06-2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I wanted to test drive the SiR and Calgary Honda would not lett me! WTF is up with that? I also wanted to test drive the S2000 and again they would not let me! WTF is up with that? But I'm happy with my car, for now at least

Why the hell wouldnt they let you drive the cars?:confused: Didnt you buy a Prelude from them?:dunno:

max_boost
07-06-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by James

Why the hell wouldnt they let you drive the cars?:confused: Didnt you buy a Prelude from them?:dunno:

Indeed and they ripped me off pretty bad too!!! :madred: :banghead:

4wheeldrift
07-06-2002, 06:11 AM
I didn't have any problems test driving cars at calgary honda, it just took me FOREVER to get anyone to acknowledge my existence. I was in the showroom for 20 minutes before anyone even came up to me.

RSeXy
07-06-2002, 10:26 AM

Indeed and they ripped me off pretty bad too!!! :madred: :banghead:

haha..what happened to the "brotherhood" between you and Kerpal? was that his name? haha..."come on mah brotha sam...put down a down payment!" :devil:

max_boost
07-06-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I didn't have any problems test driving cars at calgary honda, it just took me FOREVER to get anyone to acknowledge my existence. I was in the showroom for 20 minutes before anyone even came up to me.

We are not talking about civic coupes or minivans here
We are talking about the S2K! lol

Dyinghere
07-06-2002, 02:46 PM
SIR... pilot....S2k.... so many rich ppl out there ;) ;)

T5_X
07-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3, I like clutches with lots of give, and I don't find really close gear spacing really fun in everyday city driving. and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life)

GTS Jeff
07-07-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3, I like clutches with lots of give, and I don't find really close gear spacing really fun in everyday city driving. and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life) You're more of the "drive a tank to run shit over and clear landmines and wreck small buildings" kinda guy instead of the "I have a fast freaking car that can do 90 degree turns at 180km/h no problem"...right?

pr5owner
07-07-2002, 10:01 PM
don't like the SiR myself, kind of a sorry excuse for the Real CTR, oh well guess thats what you get for being in northamerica, well you can always add a typeR badge :rofl: , anyone know when the 5dr HB civic is gonna come out? supposed to take on the MP5, Matrix, ZX5 etc. and it will look like a SiR cept with 5 drs

pr5owner
07-07-2002, 10:05 PM

LOL well if your not gonna buy it why would they let you drive it? same as Ford, Dodge, Chev, Toyota, Nissan. if they think your some punk ass kid they wont let you, its like their policy. if i may ask. why did you buy a prelude? preludes are pretty much the biggest rip off, they are underpowered (good for a 2.2NA but for pulling 3000+lbs?) the accord 2dr beat the crap out of preludes in sales of the same year, honda was actually losing money on the ludes thats why they are discontinued

T5_X
07-07-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
You're more of the "drive a tank to run shit over and clear landmines and wreck small buildings" kinda guy instead of the "I have a fast freaking car that can do 90 degree turns at 180km/h no problem"...right?

Nope... I like a little bit from all worlds :D
That car just sounds like the opposite from vehicles I feel "at home" in. I love the feel of some smaller cars like golfs.... and my gf's getting a 200sx se-r soon :thumbsup:

mwmhong
07-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Doesn't sound like my kind of car at all. I drive with hands at 9 and 3....and the thing looks like a minivan to me (yes, I've seen a couple close up in real life)

Yeah the thing looks like those old Chevy Lumina/Pontiac Transport "dustbuster" minivans, but everything else sounds good.

I like to have my steering wheel spokes at 5 and 7 they're 100% out of the way, and that's where I have them!:thumbsup:

99SiR
07-07-2002, 11:23 PM
i saw someone test driving a new SiR the other day when i was driving. I have an SiR and am VERY happy with it. But the 2003 model basically looks like a small minivan and reminds me too much of a focus or other similar hatchback car. I think honda should have did some more r&d and maybe come out with a car to match other manufactures instead of something that is behind. Its slower than the older SiR too (as stated in several magazines) and that isn't very impressive at all :rolleyes:

pr5owner
07-08-2002, 01:40 PM
i like the old SiR better,

ninspeed
07-08-2002, 02:42 PM
i dont belive that the SIR name holds what it used to. Forst off the postion of the shifter is designed to be where it is for a reason. Its meant to be really close to the wheel so that you can keep both hands on the wheel as long as possible and not have to reach down and over.. but rather over. I have sat in one and played with the shifter.. its nice and short, and it would be a great solo car/rally car. I think the car has a lot of potential (spoon swap).. but it will take mad cash to get there.. I think i am going to go test drive one..

GTS Jeff
07-09-2002, 01:41 AM
Damn you haters. The SiR doesn't look like a minivan or a Focus for that matter. No minivan has the sloping lines of the SiR and the headlights of the SiR are way more imposing than the Focus'.

ninspeed
07-09-2002, 09:51 AM
I dont mind the out side of the car... awhile back on another fourm i use they put the thing bescide a honda oddsey.. quite simillar.. but none the less quite a cool little car.. and i must say the spoon version of the car looks really cool...

gpomp
07-09-2002, 01:11 PM
Anyone see the poster of the Civic hatch in this month's Super Street?

Redlyne_mr2
07-09-2002, 03:00 PM
My friend has a new sir and she even calls it a sports car trying to be a minivan. It's a little bit to much of a yuppie sport compact car. The suspension is very soft and the seats although snug and hype looking do not perform as they shoudl under hard drivign conditions. The gearbox on this car is beautiful however, shifts are clean and crisp and the visibility is excellent, unless of course you plan on going in reverse. For a 2.0 litre car it doesn't have much torque at all and the quite sounds of the engine, even in i-vtec leaves you wanting more.It's a cute little car but I would never ever buy one.

speedracer
07-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The suspension is very soft and the seats although snug and hype looking do not perform as they shoudl under hard drivign conditions. The gearbox on this car is beautiful however, shifts are clean and crisp and the visibility is excellent, unless of course you plan on going in reverse. <snip>
It's a cute little car but I would never ever buy one.

I disagree. I've driven one and the suspension handling of the car is fine. Comparing to the last one it doesn't seem to be worst. About the same.
The car lacks any punch though :(
The seats are garbage but it's like the last gen as well (not sure why they went cheap on that side - still).

As for "cute" appeal... nuff said.

4wheeldrift
07-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

As for "cute" appeal... nuff said.
Nah, Rage2 has the cute car :D

speedracer
07-09-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

Nah, Rage2 has the cute car :D
Oh, yeah. :rofl:
He should get a new title.

GTS Jeff
07-09-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
My friend has a new sir and she even calls it a sports car trying to be a minivan. It's a little bit to much of a yuppie sport compact car. The suspension is very soft and the seats although snug and hype looking do not perform as they shoudl under hard drivign conditions. The gearbox on this car is beautiful however, shifts are clean and crisp and the visibility is excellent, unless of course you plan on going in reverse. For a 2.0 litre car it doesn't have much torque at all and the quite sounds of the engine, even in i-vtec leaves you wanting more.It's a cute little car but I would never ever buy one. The suspension of the SiR is identical to the CTR, far from soft. I can't comment much on the seats; they felt fine to me, but I never really tossed the car around corners much (the tires suck balls).. The K20A2 is FAR from torqueless. By 2000rpm, it already has 90% of its 135 lb-ft of torque. iVTEC does wonders to flatten the torque curve. In fact, most car mag reviews comment on how un-Honda like the torque output is, and how the engine isn't the typical high-revving Honda. I agree with you about the quietness being a little unsettling though..a car like that deserves to be a little louder.