PDA

View Full Version : PC Game Suggestions

soupey
01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
hey guys, i recently built a media center system, ive got a cordless logitech joystick too, and its hooked up to a 50" widescreen tv digitally with a dvi-d cable. so i can support high res (1080i, 720p).

i was wondering what games any of you guys would recommend that supports widescreen and joystick use.

so far the only two decent games ive played are gta san andreas and prince of persia: the two thrones.

i'd prefer rpg or fps before any other genres, but anything that will support my setup would be nice, post suggestions below, thanks in advance.

ryder_23
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
BF2...jump in an airplane and giv'r shit

edit: actually i dunno if it supports widescreen...but from jaymez computer, which is widescreen, it looks incredible

tictactoe2004
01-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
BF2...jump in an airplane and giv'r shit

edit: actually i dunno if it supports widescreen...but from jaymez computer, which is widescreen, it looks incredible

you can make it widescreen with an addition to the shortcut, I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but you can google it.

Xaroxantu Zero
01-25-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't remember any FPS or RPG games that uses a joystick...

soupey
01-25-2006, 08:08 PM
well, prince of persia is an action/adventure rpg is it not?^

any more suggestions guys? i guess it doesnt matter what genre or if its an older game...i just want to see how other high res games look on a big tv:D

arian_ma
01-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Play F.E.A.R. in the dark...
That game is flippin freaky.

Also, driving games are all fun so that is a lot of options right there.

And finally, who could forget about Counter-Strike?

:clap:

kaput
01-25-2006, 09:52 PM

soupey
01-25-2006, 10:14 PM
hmm i COULD try hl2 out, the computer im running probably wont run it well at all tho, ill give it a try, keep the suggestions coming! thanks

kaput
01-25-2006, 10:35 PM

szw
01-25-2006, 10:36 PM
http://www.emulationzone.org/consoles/n64/n64.gif

+

http://www.klast.net/bond/images/nintendo.jpg

(I know.....just wanted to post it. haha)

Xaroxantu Zero
01-25-2006, 10:37 PM
What is your system specs anyway?

cityhunter2501
01-25-2006, 10:54 PM
along WoW Crack, im having a blast playing SWAT4 and GTASA

soupey
01-25-2006, 10:59 PM
hehe well its a second computer, not the greatest, but the media centers main point is to play movies for me, and it does that just fine, gaming on top is just for fun.

AMD 1700xp oc'd at 2000xp soo 1.7ish ghz
512mb ram
ati radeon 9600 pro

runs prince of persia, quake 4 (at medium settings), nhl06, fable, gta:3 and gta:sa all smoothly....so its not total crap, but not the greatest either....

Nova316
01-28-2006, 06:40 PM
If u wanna play Multiplayer, play BF2 or CS there both great games for the Tv

F.E.A.R is an amazing game, one of the better storylines in the recent games.. even tho its fucked up.. it works out to be pretty sweet

b_t
01-28-2006, 10:30 PM
When I tried hackin BF2 to work on my widescreen it crashed every 15 minutes, that game fuckin blows... that game was the first one in like five years that the only reason I stopped playing it was because it was unstable as fuck.

HL2 is brilliant in widescreen though.

soupey
02-07-2006, 06:47 PM
tried bf2, the command line thing dont work well.

max payne series look amazing

nhl06 looks sweet...but it is stretched...

prince of persia: the two thrones looks awesome too.

any more???

bumpbump

EnRich
02-08-2006, 09:29 AM
dude..... if you need a good comp built, pretty cheap, compared to retail high end comps let me know... Like ppl said, that kinda experiance should be unlimited... wtf are you even doing hooking up a 1700 to a big screen... sigh... I have a AMD3000+64, with an X800XL AGP 256 comp that'll run anything on the market right now for 950. Battlefield 2 is my recommendation, but you cant touch it with your setup. As a matter of fact you cant touch alot of the games mentioned here.

Vagabond142
02-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Spend the money getting a good computer, and thy gaming experience shall become as blissful as a summer day (Zen of Computer Gaming, pg 34 :P)

I have a computer that would today cost you a little under $700, but can run absolutely EVERYTHING that can be thrown at it and still have power left over.is the only way to go.

As for HD gaming... HalfLife 2, Quake 4, Doom 3, FEAR all seem to work fine using HD

soupey
02-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
dude..... if you need a good comp built, pretty cheap, compared to retail high end comps let me know... Like ppl said, that kinda experiance should be unlimited... wtf are you even doing hooking up a 1700 to a big screen... sigh... I have a AMD3000+64, with an X800XL AGP 256 comp that'll run anything on the market right now for 950. Battlefield 2 is my recommendation, but you cant touch it with your setup. As a matter of fact you cant touch alot of the games mentioned here.

i tried bf2, asides from a little long of a load time, the gameplay was more than fine...if i wanted to build another computer i would...but right now i dont want to drop more money into something that is mostly used to play movies...gaming is just somehting im trying on the side...only game that ive had issues running so far is hl2 and matrix - path of neo.

soupey
02-08-2006, 05:49 PM
oh also tried quake 4, again other than load times it ran smoothly...medium settings. didnt like doom when i played it, so i doubt ill try that one out....

again im looking for recommendations, not criticism of the computer im runnin everything with... i DO have a better computer, but i dont want to plug it into the tv cuz ive got actual work to do with this other comp...which is a p3 1gbRam dual threaded, ati radeon x600xt...soo its not that i dont have a decent enough computer to put down there, its more that i'd rather have a regular functional computer to do real work on in an office rather than have it plugged into a tv which i'll only use for occasional gaming and watching movies...get it?..

b_t
02-08-2006, 11:43 PM
since everyone else is guarding the secret to this mystery system they can build you very closely, here is what you want:

AMD 64 3200+

1gb RAM

Hard drive of any size, they are super cheap no matter how you slice it

Nforce 4 motherboard, since it has onboard optical output for sound and is Socket 939 which gives it a future upgrade lifetime of a few years.. an FX-60 will fit on this board :D

Cheap case with a 400ish watt power supply and as many fans as you can get for your price

But the key of the whole system: a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS. Only $250 and this thing is fucking mindblowing, even more impressive performance per dollar then I thought my old 6600GT had.

djayz
02-10-2006, 07:05 AM
swat 4 is amazing someone mentioned it up there really fun and very good physics and graphics

Unknown303
02-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by b_t

Nforce 4 motherboard, since it has onboard optical output for sound and is Socket 939 which gives it a future upgrade lifetime of a few years.. an FX-60 will fit on this board :D

The NForce 4 is just a chipset typ[e of motherboard. And it also comes in different socket sets. But yes a 939 is the best bet as all of AMD's new processors still use that pin config. But at far as the Mobo go with something by asus. They have a few varieties on the NForce 4 set, so you can pick and choose the type of things you want onboard.

soupey
02-20-2006, 03:46 PM
well im gona be upgrading the mobo and cpu...pretty soon, update on what games ive had running on the existing setup (that work well and fill up the screen with no stretching):
madagascar
fear (on all low settings)
matrix: path of neo (fixed issues with it not playing properly, it was a refresh rate issue)
quake 4
max payne 1 + 2.
gta san andreas.

pinoyhero
02-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Look for an MMORGP that supports a joystick. Get hooked !

ZEDGE
02-20-2006, 11:10 PM
UT2004. Fun game, lots of game modes, mods. Will run decent on your pc.

Vagabond142
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM
b_t has a good system, but I would recommend the following (shameless rip from b_t's post) changes in bold

Originally posted by b_t

AMD 64 3200+ AMD X2 64 3800+ if you want to rip processing times to shreds... these things absolutely kick anythings ass. Also, I would recommend a Zalman CNPS7000AlCu cooler for these kinds of processors, as they have the best cooling ratio of pretty much anything out there

1gb RAM the mobo listed below is dual channel, so get 4x512 or 2x1 gb sticks, recommend corsair if you're going to be hardcore gaming, otherwise Kingston or Micron Original are the way to go, just not as blindingly fast

SATA2 Hard drive of any size, they are super cheap no matter how you slice it 250 GB SATA2 = ~$150 @ MemEx

Nforce 4 motherboard, since it has onboard optical output for sound and is Socket 939 which gives it a future upgrade lifetime of a few years.. an FX-60 will fit on this board :D I would recommend Asus A8N-E http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=5868&SID=75404

Cheap case with a 400ish watt power supply and as many fans as you can get for your price Decent cases are in the Antec and Elite lines, but I would get a 550 or higher power supply if you're going to get a video card which is high power draw. If you want to be a pimp, CoolerMaster, ThermalTake (only the Armor and Tsunami lines, tho) and Lian Li are teh pimpmobiles of the computer world

But the key of the whole system: a Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS. Only $250 and this thing is fucking mindblowing, even more impressive performance per dollar then I thought my old 6600GT had. I'm partial to ATi X-series cards myself, but nVidia has finally gotten its act together and the market is pretty even these days, so you can do it either way. I would recommend an HIS ati card if you can find one in calgary (memex can special order them). I have an HIS IceQ II X800 Pro VIVO 250 softmodded to an XT PE VIVO 256 and oh dear GOD does it fly. I can play HL2 at 1600x1200 and the only lag I get is when a level loads. Beautiful chips the ATi X-series are :D

The setup above will put you back around $1400, +/- $150, if you go top of the line for everything. Take off $200-$600 depending on components less than top of the line (biggest are CPU and vid card for price diffs), which can then be put towards a good monitor and a good soundcard (onboard sound SUCKS on pretty much every motherboard. I would get a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS oem (has digital and optical outputs). For monitors, anything from BenQ or Samsung in the 8 or 6 ms range are :bigpimp: , although I'm partial to BenQ.

Be warned, this pricing does NOT take into account optical drives, as I'm assuming taht you already have some to transfer over.

soupey
02-28-2006, 11:54 AM
im a uni student, lol i dont have the cash to put something down towards a huge media center/gaming rig, but i managed to find a cheap upgrade...

ive moved up to an amd sempron 3100+ w/512mb ram...the rest of the specs remain the same....if i upgrade anything next it will definately be the video card, but this ati radeon 9600 i have right now is definately something thats making things worse, but for now ive got no concrete reason to want to change it...

the two things i think i want to change whenever i get the money to do it would be the video card and the ram, right now ive got 2x256mb...i kno i could easiy (and cheaply) upgrade that. this system started off as a second computer that i wanted to try attaching to a bigscreen. and so far its been much more than i couldve ever expected, so im happy wit it.

runs fear on medium settings (minus the volumetric lighting) completely fine, so im happy wit it now....that said, fear had a SHITTY ending...i was definately expecting something better, but oh well.

soupey
02-28-2006, 11:55 AM
oh and ive managed to figure out that kids games seem to have the best gamepad support and look relatively decent on bigscreen, i tried out curious george and madagascar, lol i guess ive got something to let my little cousins play when they come over now....i'd say prince of persia was the best game to play on fullscreen so far @ full quality and full compatibility with the the gamepad im using...looked and played great.