PDA

View Full Version : What should i cook?

Justing
01-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Just looking for suggestions for what i should cook for my gf this valentines. We always go out and i rarely ever cook so i need the help.

I really have no idea so any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and links to recipes would be great!:thumbsup:

Fez_turbo
01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
get some hamburger helper with some garlic toast and a steak..

i hear its extra cheesy:thumbsup:

garlic toast from safeway, and steak from anywhere,,,or even ribs.:thumbsup:

lastprodigy
01-26-2006, 10:25 PM
^ lol ill forgive for that suggestion since you are still in jr high

ill give you the garlic toast though..maybe cook soe salmon its fairly easy to make it good with some basil, lemon, olive oil cant remember what else I put maybe some balsamic.....

good luck :confused:

Gondi Stylez
01-26-2006, 10:27 PM
you cant go wrong with fish....

maybe some hailbut with lemon zest, s+p, thyme cooked on some roasted tomatoes with buttered potatoes on the side?!?!

Fez_turbo
01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by lastprodigy
^ lol ill forgive for that suggestion since you are still in jr high

ill give you the garlic toast though..maybe cook soe salmon its fairly easy to make it good with some basil, lemon, olive oil cant remember what else I put maybe some balsamic.....

good luck :confused:

hey:( ...im graduating this year and im already accepted to university for engineering..:rofl:

never knew you wanted something really fancy, why dont you order take out and say you made it.:bigpimp:

plus i would enjoy hamburger helper any day of the week.:devil:

:rofl:

lastprodigy
01-26-2006, 10:29 PM
so would, but cant make that and then expect :poosie: congugations

Justing
01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Fez_turbo
get some hamburger helper with some garlic toast and a steak..

i hear its extra cheesy:thumbsup:

garlic toast from safeway, and steak from anywhere,,,or even ribs.:thumbsup:
:bigpimp: :rofl:

Haha ok maybe a little more specific.
Something non half-assed.

The fich suggestions sound good. Maybe a nice salmon fillet?
Or maybe crab but i have no idea how to prepare it lol.
Damn i'm screwed haha

lastprodigy
01-26-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah salmon filet is good looks like lots of effort and is relatively easy to prepare....if you want to go seafood you could also do a crab/shrimp (and other stuff obviosuly) stuffed sole

dj_rice
01-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Since its you and your gf....I recommend Chateaubriand....you'll get some poonan after for sure

But if ur not that knowledgable in the culinary arts, I'd recommend maybe a chicken breast with pesto or a mousse and a nice pasta dish to accompany it and a few asparagus spears sauteed in butter

Or you can pay me $30/hr to come over and cook a 5 course dinner for you

Justing
01-26-2006, 11:27 PM
^^ Damn that sounds good. but i dont think i can do all that hha.
But are you surious about paying for cooking for us? That would be pimp.

Fez_turbo
01-26-2006, 11:35 PM
that would be sweet you can make him where a nice tux with a white handkerchief around his arm and get him to speak in a french accent..

:D

jk..its a really good idea, it will definately impress your girlfriend.
:thumbsup: :D dooo itttt.

dj_rice
01-26-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Justing
^^ Damn that sounds good. but i dont think i can do all that hha.
But are you surious about paying for cooking for us? That would be pimp.

Yeah sure...$30/hr plus food costs = $200....so lets see...since its Valentines u want a awesome meal..so I'll need at least 8 hours mise en place time, plus another 4 hours actual cooking time, and then another 2 hours plating/presentation time...

So now that we have a deal..you owe me $620

dj_rice
01-26-2006, 11:40 PM
But yeah, since my chicken breast idea is too hard for you...heres another recomendation....seeing as everyone went with salmon/fish...

Go to the market and get 2 nice big, salmon filets, then marinate them in a brandy/maple syrup/apple cider mix for 4-6 hours...overnight if possible, go buy some cedar planks...put fish on the cedar planks and throw them into the oven...now you have Cedar Planked Maple Glazed Salmon...cooking time varies on how well you want the fish done and thickness of fish..and for accompanyments, whatever you like...a nice wild mushroom risotto would be good

*Only untreated food grade red cedar planks..not Totem/Home Depot wood planks :rofl: :rofl: and planks have to be soaked in water overnight

Fez_turbo
01-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
But yeah, since my chicken breast idea is too hard for you...heres another recomendation....seeing as everyone went with salmon/fish...

Go to the market and get 2 nice big, salmon filets, then marinate them in a brandy/maple syrup mix for 4-6 hours...overnight if possible, go buy some cedar planks...put fish on the cedar planks and throw them into the oven...now you have Cedar Planked Maple Glazed Salmon...cooking time varies on how well you want the fish done..and for accompanyments, whatever you like...a nice wild mushroom risotto would be good

you are one smart handy guy.women dig great cooks.you would make any woman happy.:bigpimp:

dj_rice
01-26-2006, 11:46 PM

you are one smart handy guy.women dig great cooks.you would make any woman happy.:bigpimp:

Yeah but I have a birth defect.....................I'm ugly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so no poontang for me :poosie:

And I'm not smart...I have a chefs degree/background

abyss
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM

Yeah but I have a birth defect.....................I'm ugly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so no poontang for me :poosie:

And I'm not smart...I have a chefs degree/background

rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and to think I ALMOST missed this thread!

On a side note, chicken and salmon are both fairly easy and quick to cook. So go with that. Or if you do get Will to cook for you, you have to let us know about it! :devil:

Dave P
01-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Maybe think about a light pasta, and spring mix salad? I would keep the dinner light, so you have lots of energy for humping later at night.

http://appetizer.allrecipes.com/az/75133.asp

http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/CajunChickenPasta.asp

http://pie.allrecipes.com/az/EasyAppleCrisp.asp

Gondi Stylez
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM

Go to the market and get 2 nice big, salmon filets, then marinate them in a brandy/maple syrup/apple cider mix for 4-6 hours...overnight if possible, go buy some cedar planks...put fish on the cedar planks and throw them into the oven...now you have Cedar Planked Maple Glazed Salmon...cooking time varies on how well you want the fish done and thickness of fish..and for accompanyments, whatever you like...a nice wild mushroom risotto would be good

*Only untreated food grade red cedar planks..not Totem/Home Depot wood planks :rofl: :rofl: and planks have to be soaked in water overnight

woah! that sounds awefully similar to my salmon marinade :D but it works great for hailbut too...

wild mushroom risotto is to die for!! if you make it right! ;)

BebeAphrodite
01-30-2006, 01:37 PM
You should chose what to cook depending on what she likes to eat. You should post what type of cuisine you're looking for (depending on what both of you like to eat).
I saw some comment that you're safe w/ fish but if I was served fish, I'd be picking at the food (politely due to the effort made to prepare the dish) because I hate hate hate fish (I think fish tastes gross).
So I think you should pick the dishes depending on what she likes to eat (and you as well). :)

RSeXy
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
An easy salmon dish...

take two salmon steaks, let them soak in lemon juice overnite
the put a layer of mayo and sprinkle some dill and salt & pepper to taste
cover in foil and bake

i've made this for dinner before, its super easy, serve with asparagus and wild rice.

habsfan
01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
if you're looking for something other ideas than salmon, how about a veal/chicken parmesean? pretty easy to make, just find a recepie online if you have no clue how to do it. veal parmesean would be my choice since i dont like salmon unlike most people

sputnik
01-30-2006, 04:22 PM
An even easier salmon dish...

Marinade a fillet in a cup of "Famous" marinade (available at all Safeway locations) and a couple tablespoons of rye (Crown Royal works best). Let it marinade for 3-4 hours and roast in an oven at 350F until cooked to your liking.

VERY tasty and much better than the typical white wine and lemon juice marinades.

Justing
01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks for all the great salmon recipes! I figured i would do some sort of fish... just too many to choose from lol.

The mushroom risotto sounds damn good, anyone have a good recipe? I think that would be a really nice appetizer.

As for what she likes, her favourite food is pobably pasta, so i'm thinkin of a light pasta.

Then i'll do a salmon for sure, or maybe even crab? or both?
Anyone have a good crab recipe?

And thanks again for all the help:thumbsup:

googe
01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
kraft dinner :thumbsup:

szw
01-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Browse through an italian cookbook at a bookstore or online. I'd worry about finding something that is good and impressive rather than choosing one just because it's easy.

Start practicing before valentines to see waht you like to make also.

dj_rice
01-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy
An easy salmon dish...

take two salmon steaks, let them soak in lemon juice overnite
the put a layer of mayo and sprinkle some dill and salt & pepper to taste
cover in foil and bake

i've made this for dinner before, its super easy, serve with asparagus and wild rice.

I bet you that fish is dry and overcooked when its done as you said let it soak in lemon juice overnight.....50-75% of the cooking is done right there...lemon juice is an acid which in turn cooks the fish...and then when you bake it...prolli hard as a rock and overcooked....but to each their own.....who am I to judge....tsk tsk...

dj_rice
01-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the great salmon recipes! I figured i would do some sort of fish... just too many to choose from lol.

The mushroom risotto sounds damn good, anyone have a good recipe? I think that would be a really nice appetizer.

As for what she likes, her favourite food is pobably pasta, so i'm thinkin of a light pasta.

Then i'll do a salmon for sure, or maybe even crab? or both?
Anyone have a good crab recipe?

And thanks again for all the help:thumbsup:

Since its Valentines, and I hope ur not skimping and going all out, make a Crab or Lobster Bisque....its a soup for all those culinary newbies out there....its to die for :drool:

Justing
01-30-2006, 08:22 PM
haha no i'm not gonna skimp. That not really my concern, its more my cooking abilities... which are minimal haha.

GTS Jeff
01-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Just looking for suggestions for what i should cook for my gf this valentines. We always go out and i rarely ever cook so i need the help.

I really have no idea so any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and links to recipes would be great!:thumbsup: Chili.

nate007
02-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Another good option is a mustard crusted rack of lamb.
Sear a rack of lamb, let it cool, and pat on a bread crumb/dijon mustard with dried tarragon mixture to form the crust. Throw it in the oven and cook to a medium rare. In the pan that you seared the lamb in, reduce red wine and cranberry juice to make a sauce. Serve with rosemary and roasted garlic mashed yams.

Justing
02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
ok crap... kinda forgot about this, but since we were both studying for exams this week, i'm not making dinner till sunday.
So i still have time to figure out what to make.
Any other suggestions?
Crab recipes?
Anyone know how to make risotto?

Z24_3.1.
02-16-2006, 05:08 PM
food :thumbsup:

Pee_Sack
02-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Recipes (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=recipes&spell=1)