PDA

View Full Version : Computer Information Systems

mushi_mushi
01-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Little backround about myself. I was previously enrolled at the UofC in the faculty of computer science. I have completed roughly about 2 years of the program and now am taking a semester off, switching majors and most likley institutions. I have looked at several programs at SAIT and am now looking at Mt Royal.

Basically I want to stay in a field thats computer related, but I dont want to be constantly programing. Im wondering if any members here are taking the "Bachelor of Applied Computer Information Systems and Business" degree program. If so, I would like to know your thoughts on the program/courses and instructors. And if any of you have finished the program what are the job oppurtunities like.

And if you have finished an informations systems degree/diploma or are currently enrolled at another institution taking a simular program feel free to chime in. All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

apples
01-27-2006, 01:21 AM
Im in my third year of CIS at MRC and cannot say enough good things about it. We have learned such a wide array of skills its amazing:

Programming
Networking
Web development
Hardware
Accounting
Marketing
Small business management
you name we learnt it

You really get a little bit of everything in this degree, which definitley pays off in the work place. I spent my first of two work terms last summer working as a systems analyst at the Calgary Airport. One of the compliments that I kept getting was that I had a tremendous knowledge of business for an IT student, this is thanx to the CIS program.

I also sit on the CIS advisory board as the student representative and have seen first hand just how "in-tune" the program directors are with current trends. Half the board is made up of IT professionals in Calgary who help decide which emerging technologies are important to employers, and should be added into the curriculum of the degree.

In terms of jobs after graduating, the opportunities are endless. A couple of my friends left early after their 2nd year with a diploma, and had jobs immediatley upon entering the workforce. 2 work at TCP, 1 works at In-Focus, 1 at the Calgary Airport Authority. They all seem to be kicking ass, due in big part to the combination of IT and business training.

Sorry if it seems like I am rambling, Im tres tired, and there is way more I could tell you, but Im just not down for typing tonight. If you want to ask me any other questions, or want more info about the program shoot me a PM and we can talk.

-Chris

eblend
01-27-2006, 10:09 AM
there is a MIS program at the university of calgary at the haskayne school of business. I love the program myself and am gradiating from it in 3 month or something. Like you started in comp sci and then switched to MIS and never looked back

mushi_mushi
01-27-2006, 01:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies....whats your take on the profs and TAs that you've had so far. I know my experiences at the UofC were less then stellar. I just looked up a whole bunch of profs for the Mount Royal program and it seems that alot of them have recieved bad reviews.

Also which programming language are used for the programming courses. I have experience mostly in java but if I have to learn C/C++ guess now would be as good a time as any.

I assume this program doesnt require any laptops but for those of you that are taking the program is this something that might be worthwhile looking into, or is it really not essential.

Chester
01-27-2006, 05:09 PM
The programming is all java.

apples
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Chester
The programming is all java.

In CIS?

Nah its Java/ASP.NET/C#/VB.NET

Chim
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
I think MIS would be a good option for you. I'm not an MIS student but I'm on the UofC CaseIT team, so I've been gettting to know the profs and they're absolutely amazing. Go Frank :D

As for career prospects, it's not really a matter of high demand, but restricted supply, there aren't a lot of people concentrating in MIS right now.

apples
01-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by mushi_mushi
Thanks for all the replies....whats your take on the profs and TAs that you've had so far. I know my experiences at the UofC were less then stellar. I just looked up a whole bunch of profs for the Mount Royal program and it seems that alot of them have recieved bad reviews.

Also which programming language are used for the programming courses. I have experience mostly in java but if I have to learn C/C++ guess now would be as good a time as any.

I assume this program doesnt require any laptops but for those of you that are taking the program is this something that might be worthwhile looking into, or is it really not essential.

Laptops are definitley not essential. The comp labs for CIS students are more than enough. In terms of professors there are a couple of CIS profs that are just terrible, Im not gonna lie, but for the most part the profs are all very good.

mushi_mushi
01-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Im currently roaming the MRC website to see if I can get my hands on course webpage(s) for the computer information systems program. Im looking for access to the course outlines, the course textbook, perhaps a list of assignments...

Im just looking for specific information that is not outlined in the syllabus. Do I have to be a registered student, i.e. have access to something like blackboard or is this information available elsewhere online.

cherpintow
01-31-2006, 12:19 AM
Currently in the MIS program at U of C, instructors are great, classes give you good experience, especially the field projects. From what I hear the job opportunities are many...

apples
01-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Im currently roaming the MRC website to see if I can get my hands on course webpage(s) for the computer information systems program. Im looking for access to the course outlines, the course textbook, perhaps a list of assignments...

Im just looking for specific information that is not outlined in the syllabus. Do I have to be a registered student, i.e. have access to something like blackboard or is this information available elsewhere online.

Yeah to get access to the outlines/assignments you will need to either get on black board, or get on the college network. When I get home I'll see if I have any old assignment sheets kicking around that I can scan and send to you.

ronaldo
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
just a quick question....if i was to transfer into MGIS (i'm already a student at u of c), does anybody know what the transfer gpa needed?? i read something about it being 2.50 but that seemed a little low so i just wanted to confirm this

mushi_mushi
01-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Hey apples, thanks for all the help. No worries bout the outlines, i'll probably go to MRC and see whats on thier network. Im just waiting for my transcripts, so I can register/find out which courses I can transfer over, I figured i'de do it all at once.

Hey ronaldo, I know your in comp scie as well :) ....if you take a look at this link it tells you the transfer averages needed for the various faculties.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/admission_criteria_avg.html

I think MGIS is a part of the school of business, so you would need a GPA of around a 3.3 to transfer.

PaleRider
01-31-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey apples, thanks for all the help. No worries bout the outlines, i'll probably go to MRC and see whats on thier network. Im just waiting for my transcripts, so I can register/find out which courses I can transfer over, I figured i'de do it all at once.

Hey ronaldo, I know your in comp scie as well :) ....if you take a look at this link it tells you the transfer averages needed for the various faculties.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/admission_requirements/admission_criteria_avg.html

I think MGIS is a part of the school of business, so you would need a GPA of around a 3.3 to transfer.

Last year transfer to Haskayne was 3.0, quite low compare to previous years. They got more funding last year and opened up more spots. I called Haskayne and confirmed it because I was thinking of doing an after-degree (same as transfer student). However this year I heard it's 3.4 (not confirmed).

2.5 definately will not get you in Haskayne.

ronaldo
01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
hmm interesting link.... anyone mind explaining what this means?? this is the link that said something about the 2.5
any help would be appreciated

http://www.haskayne.ucalgary.ca/programs/undergrad/bcomm/bcomm/media/transfer_admission.pdf

Chester
01-31-2006, 07:21 PM

This guy is in the CIS program, third year and look at the job he landed.
http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/news/view.php?item=000472

Quite a few people I've talked to get pretty good jobs coming out of this program, the guy in the above link is in a couple of my classes.

mushi_mushi
01-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Chester

This guy is in the CIS program, third year and look at the job he landed.
http://www.mtroyal.ab.ca/news/view.php?item=000472

Quite a few people I've talked to get pretty good jobs coming out of this program, the guy in the above link is in a couple of my classes.

Whoa, sounds like you sure know your stuff apples, kudo's on getting that internship. Did you know alot about computers and business before you got into the program or did you just roll with it? Also looking at some of the course descriptions some of these courses seem kinda moot, did you find intro to computers and intro to programming easy or is it actually harder then it seems?

Im also a bit confused about the course names, looking at the outline for the program about 3/4 of all the courses begin with a 1, does that mean that all of those course are first year/intro classes?

How big are some of these classes, do you sit in huge lecture halls (probably not) or do you actually get a chance to get to know people by name?

apples
02-01-2006, 01:50 AM
lol sadly that isnt me, I would quite enjoy working at BMW. BTW, Chester what is your name? I have probably taken some classes with you.

----------------------
"Did you know alot about computers and business before you got into the program or did you just roll with it?"

- I knew a fair bit about web-development but that was it. The majority of the content was brand new to me.
----------------------

----------------------
"Also looking at some of the course descriptions some of these courses seem kinda moot, did you find intro to computers and intro to programming easy or is it actually harder then it seems?"

- The first semester classes are very straight-forward. Keep in mind however, they are not a breeze, I think we lost about 8 students during the first couple months of our Intro to Programming class.
----------------------

----------------------
"Im also a bit confused about the course names, looking at the outline for the program about 3/4 of all the courses begin with a 1, does that mean that all of those course are first year/intro classes? "
- No. I am not too sure what the logic is behind the numbering scheme. This last semester (3rd year, sem 1) we had our second advanced DB class and it's course number began with a "1"
----------------------

----------------------
"How big are some of these classes, do you sit in huge lecture halls (probably not) or do you actually get a chance to get to know people by name?"
- The sizes of the CIS classes are so small that I know every student by name. In fact, I have become awsome friends with almost everyone that I started the program with. About 7 of us get together every week and play poker, or head up to the mountains snowboarding. Its actually pretty cool how tightly knit the CIS community is.
----------------------

apples
02-01-2006, 01:51 AM
:hijack:
Snap! A year and a half later and I'm finally in neutral

natejj
02-01-2006, 04:03 PM
Does the UofC have their version of CIS? What is it called? Anyone have any comments on it?

yobi5888
02-01-2006, 04:36 PM
I took the MRC program as well, and ended up working in college now..

Regarding class size, it was only about 20 to 25 people and we used to go smoke a joint together before classes...lol

I missed those times that we hang out in the labs all night trying to finish the assignments last minute.

mushi_mushi
02-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Does the UofC have their version of CIS? What is it called? Anyone have any comments on it?

The UofC has a similar program called Managment and Information Systems (which is often reffered to as MGIS or MIS).

Originally posted by yobi5888
I took the MRC program as well, and ended up working in college now..

Regarding class size, it was only about 20 to 25 people and we used to go smoke a joint together before classes...lol

I missed those times that we hang out in the labs all night trying to finish the assignments last minute.

Im glad to hear the class sizes were/are small. No clue what "college now" is, you said you miss those days so I take it, this program is something that you would recommend your buddies to take. Did you find that this program prepares you for the real world, and do you like what you are currently doing? How is it related to what you did at school....

Afrodeziak
03-02-2006, 12:23 PM
I am finishing up in the CIS at mrc, sitting at my second dfs right now actually.

All above is fairly accurate. I would say if you have 2 yrs experience in Comp sci you will benefit from that as well from the rest of this program.

Myself and the dude who scored the job from BMW were both in your situation but at MRC (not UofC) and switched over. It seems to have worked pretty good.

Only thing is you just have to stay on top of your shit, just like any technology field.

one other note, go on an exchange that they offer, it was sick

B

mushi_mushi
03-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I am finishing up in the CIS at mrc, sitting at my second dfs right now actually.

All above is fairly accurate. I would say if you have 2 yrs experience in Comp sci you will benefit from that as well from the rest of this program.

Myself and the dude who scored the job from BMW were both in your situation but at MRC (not UofC) and switched over. It seems to have worked pretty good.

Only thing is you just have to stay on top of your shit, just like any technology field.

one other note, go on an exchange that they offer, it was sick

B

So all in all no regrets from switching from comp sci...glad to hear it, theres alot of topics on here which state, how comp sci isnt what you expect, it sure wasnt what I expected.

Which country did you go to for your exchange, how much did it cost you for the semester? Ive always wanted to see Europe, this sound like it might be the way to go...I'll probably look into it when the time is right...