PDA

View Full Version : Throwing up blood...

BloNdie
01-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi there, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone before, i read a couple posts on other forums where it has, but I cant seem to find a strait answer as to what caused it.

Last night my bf drank about 12 beers, maybe a little more, on an empty stomach. He was okay most of the night, but when we got home he felt terrible and started throwing up small amounts of blood.

Also earlier in the day he had a tylenol, dont know if that made the difference?

Anyways, nothing like this has ever happened to him, and hes healthy as far as I know. Any advice?

unfocus
01-27-2006, 10:04 AM
does he smoke???...

BloNdie
01-27-2006, 10:09 AM
the occasional cigar, like 1 a day...

sputnik
01-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BloNdie
the occasional cigar, like 1 a day...

1 cigar per day is more than "occasional".

Vagabond142
01-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I'm gonna say this for everyone that is about to say it: TELL HIM TO GO SEE A DOCTOR. Medical Professional > Car Forum

DUBBED
01-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Most likely just a bit of his stomach lining and such, probably threw up so much that there was nothing left and it started to clean itself out.

Definately check with a pro though.

BloNdie
01-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I'm gonna say this for everyone that is about to say it: TELL HIM TO GO SEE A DOCTOR. Medical Professional > Car Forum

Yea..thanks. Thats on the agenda, however he's feeling better, and I read a few things about it happening to people, and they're fine. So I just thought I'd check.

I am quite aware this is a car forum, but I've gotton tons of useful info that was unrelated to cars from these folks.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll get him checked out. A bit of a scare but i thnk he is doing fine now.

the_fornicator
01-27-2006, 10:44 AM
next time take him to the hospital re: alcohol poisoning.

no need in taking unnecessary risks... you know, considering we have universal health care and all.

ScCab
01-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I'm gonna say this for everyone that is about to say it: TELL HIM TO GO SEE A DOCTOR. Medical Professional > Car Forum Yes it is mainly a car forum but you can still get alot of non automotive info on here...Not speaking for everyone

R!zz0
01-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Last night my bf drank about 12 beers, maybe a little more, on an empty stomach.

How long did it take him to finish all 12 or more beers?

Stiny
01-27-2006, 12:37 PM
theres a nurse at my work and i had a problem like this before with throwing up blood and i asked her and she said its either a bleeding ulcer or a cut in the asophagus or w/e she said those were 2 main things that it could be

GQBalla
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
yes a bleeding ulcer could cause this.

my friend was recently sick and was coughin a lot than he drank and than when he got home he started puking up blood and the doctor said it was from his esophagus(sp?) was cut up and bleeding

R!zz0
01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Esophagus bleeds because it is torn. These tears may happen after forceful coughing or vomiting, especially, for example, after a severe bout of stomach flu or from vomiting after drinking too much alcohol. Tell him to go see a DR. I work for the health region and a nurse told me to tell you that.

89coupe
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Tell your BF he is an idiot for drinking 12 beers on an empty stomach and that he deserved what he got for being so stupid.:rofl:

BloNdie
01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Esophagus bleeds because it is torn. These tears may happen after forceful coughing or vomiting, especially, for example, after a severe bout of stomach flu or from vomiting after drinking too much alcohol. Tell him to go see a DR. I work for the health region and a nurse told me to tell you that.

Sounds about right, thanks! thats what i thought. but would it totally stop, and him be fine today?

anyways, i got all the advice i was looking for, thanks!

As for my boyfriend being an 'idiot', i garentee at least half of you guys have drank on an empty stomach, i know i have. so shhh

89coupe
01-27-2006, 01:08 PM

Sounds about right, thanks! thats what i thought. but would it totally stop, and him be fine today?

anyways, i got all the advice i was looking for, thanks!

As for my boyfriend being an 'idiot', i garentee at least half of you guys have drank on an empty stomach, i know i have. so shhh

Then half the guys on here are idiots...LOL:rofl:

xrayvsn
01-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Most common cause after a big binge of drinking is a longitudinal tear in the lining of the esophagus. Also known as a Mallory-Weiss tear, they can also happen after bouts of retching or vomiting for other reasons.

Google "Mallory-Weiss tear", read and learn. :)

l8braker
01-27-2006, 01:32 PM
12 Beers on an empty stomach? What is he, 16?

Darkane
01-27-2006, 01:43 PM
LOL, I wish 12 beers would get me drunk! But as per the original post: did your boyfriend have any clamato juice with it? Did he have any sphagetti or anything with tomato sauce prior even 12 hours prior?

Ive seen this alot and people are like omg im dieing, then they realize they had lassanga for supper and laugh.

DALLEN
02-13-2006, 01:31 AM
the same thing happened to my friend he went to see a doctor and he had a stomach ulcer....i would recomend he go see a doctor

A790
02-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Hi there, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone before, i read a couple posts on other forums where it has, but I cant seem to find a strait answer as to what caused it.

Last night my bf drank about 12 beers, maybe a little more, on an empty stomach. He was okay most of the night, but when we got home he felt terrible and started throwing up small amounts of blood.

Also earlier in the day he had a tylenol, dont know if that made the difference?

Anyways, nothing like this has ever happened to him, and hes healthy as far as I know. Any advice?

Doctor, NOW.

blitz
02-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by A790

Doctor, NOW.

lol, you realize that was posted over 2 weeks ago right?

Probably not that urgent at this point.