PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!

big mooe
01-27-2006, 12:54 PM
okay i was changeing the oil on my moms car and when i went to open the screw to get the oil out of the oil pan the screw turns but dosent screw any where it just spins its not coming out. Any one know whats wrong or how to fix that?

teggypimp95
01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
try using some vice grips and pulling really hard as you twist, the treads are probably gone on the bolt or on the pan. hope it is the nut. and once u get it off. go get a new bolt and check to see if it screws in and out of the pan ok.

Zephyr
01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Probably stripped.

Zero102
01-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Over-torqued last time it was installed.
Once you get the bolt you, you'll be able to see whether it's the bolt or the pan that stripped. If it's the pan = big $, bolt = little $

handsomebassman
01-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
Over-torqued last time it was installed.
Once you get the bolt you, you'll be able to see whether it's the bolt or the pan that stripped. If it's the pan = big $, bolt = little $

I have seen jeepers that have been in the same situation, and just drilled out the hole a little larger, tapped it, and got a new larger bolt for it. Thats another route if you have no money that is..

big mooe
01-27-2006, 02:44 PM
aww well i just went and got a new oil pan and some other stuff i m juss gonna change the whole thing it costed me 150 bucks now i have to install it which is a pane in the back. Any other sugestions before i install the new oil pan?

Supa Dexta
01-27-2006, 05:26 PM
sounds stripped and that can be quite a headache...

walmart turned my mothers intrepid down for an oil change, they were no longer working on anything with an aluminum oil pan.. ha.. wouldnt most cars on the road these days have an aluminum pan?

:rolleyes:

Sharpie
01-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
sounds stripped and that can be quite a headache...

walmart turned my mothers intrepid down for an oil change, they were no longer working on anything with an aluminum oil pan.. ha.. wouldnt most cars on the road these days have an aluminum pan?

:rolleyes:
I wouldn't take any of my cars to walmart period..

n1zm0
01-27-2006, 06:17 PM
you thought about trying a helio coil? if it's really stripped just do the oilpan..

but if you have an aluminum pan like he said^ , you'll have to install a new one.

moe007
01-27-2006, 06:40 PM
just get a new oil pan

big mooe
01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
alright this really sucks its a big pane any one got any ideas to just to take the bolt out? could i drill it and get a new screw?

n1zm0
01-28-2006, 02:20 AM
helio coil man, if its still stuck in the pan just get a new one..

Zero102
01-28-2006, 02:46 PM
If it's stuck, and you're replacing the pan anyways, jam a flat-head screwdriver between the plug and the pan. Then turn the plug. As it starts to come out, keep wedging the screwdriver in further, then twisting it until it catches some non-destroyed threads.

Now, did you get a new oil pan, or are you going to get one?...
Because first you said you got one, then you're asking how to get the bolt out of the old one.
IMO if you're replacing the pan, replace the bolt, because the threads on the bolt may be damaged too.

If you're looking for the easiest solution, use my method to remove the bolt, drill it a size larger, then tap it out to the next size up (find another cheap drain plug that's bigger than the one that's in there). A helicoil in that size (along with the little installer bit, and the tap) will be pretty expensive.