dino_martini
01-27-2006, 11:48 PM
- 515 - 4th ave. SW Calgary
Phone Number - (403) 263-8804

- Restaurant name Glory Of India
- Location 515 - 4th ave. SW Calgary
- Food rating 4/5
- Ambience 5/5
- Service 3/5 Busy night, otherwise not bad.

Well, after our house sold we decided to celebrate a bit. So we tried something new. When we walked in the door at Glory Of India it was a dead place, not really that busy as it had just opened. As our waiter brought us to our table, it was a very nice place. Nice chairs, table cloths, each table was lit by candle light. We ordered a plate of Samosas (spelling) right away, and after taking the first bite I knew I liked Indian food. After being in the resturant for about half an hour or so, people started filling in, suprising to see tons of families coming in to eat. I ordered the Meat platter, it had a wide range of things on it. From Tandori Chicken to something along the lines of Ginger Beef in a spicy sauce, and this yogurt dip that had a hint of cucumber in it.

The platter was huge, more than I could personally eat. Or anyone else at our table for that matter. When I go again, what we will do is just everyone picks something off the menu and everyone takes a little bit of what they like because with the just ordering one thing..thats the problem you only get to try one thing. Great place, I would recommend it to anyone. Even if your not sure you like Indian food. Its great stuff. They have a lunch buffet during the weekdays, but you need to reserve a table for that because its a busy busy place during lunch time.
:bigpimp:

nismodrifter
01-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Glory of India is one of the best in town....yet I have not been there yet haha (seems like I usually just end up eating at the OG desi places in the NE haha). Will definately have to check it out next time I'm in town.

The yogurt dip you talked about is called raita, eat it with your naan/roti or rice.

Also check out Moti Mahal....crazy good food there. :drool:

Si_FlyGuy
01-27-2006, 11:58 PM
The food is fabulous at Glory of India, while retaining its authenticity. I love it!

statick
01-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Gonna have to try this place out sometime with the boys. What'd you think of Nawab? I thought it was bomb shit:thumbsup: . Moti Mahal isn't bad either.

dino_martini: With most indian resteraunts, you order collectively, and then everyone has a little bit of something. Glad to hear you like brown food:D .

R!zz0
01-28-2006, 10:21 AM
The place where i use to go eat butter chicken was in kensington
a place called "Tandoori Hut" t'was the best Indian restaurant. Now for butter chicken i go to "tiffin Roti House" :drool: 5 people can eat butter chicken for $20.00 :eek:

LudeRoca
01-28-2006, 10:51 AM
we went there for my moms birthday. i thought it was nice. Pretty low key. good food. good service.

EK 2.0
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
Glory of India is one of the best in town....yet I have not been there yet haha (seems like I usually just end up eating at the OG desi places in the NE haha). Will definately have to check it out next time I'm in town.

The yogurt dip you talked about is called raita, eat it with your naan/roti or rice.

Also check out Moti Mahal....crazy good food there. :drool:

the OG places are the shit...Mom and Pop ghetto restuarants always taste the best...

pinoyhero
01-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Cool, I'm gonna have to go back I ind the real big issue with indain food in town is that the portions are so damn small.

dino_martini
01-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Cool, I'm gonna have to go back I ind the real big issue with indain food in town is that the portions are so damn small.

At Glory Of India, the portions are fairly big. It was a ton of food, so much I couldnt eat desert...and they had mango cheese cake :(

pinoyhero
01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Sweet, I'm gonna go back, haven't been there for like 3 years, gonna have to give it another whirl.

nonlinear
01-28-2006, 12:57 PM
glory of india rules! I've been there several times and have never been dissapointed. I usually go on weeknights and it's usually nice and quiet with great service.

nismodrifter
01-28-2006, 01:07 PM
portions small wtf? anytime I go out I'm always FULL like crazy.
Order a couple things and every person gets a wide variety of food (like 5 things: butter chicken, raita, rice, naan, subji, some other chicken, samosas etc)...

pinoyhero
01-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
portions small wtf? anytime I go out I'm always FULL like crazy.
Order a couple things and every person gets a wide variety of food (like 5 things: butter chicken, raita, rice, naan, subji, some other chicken, samosas etc)...

Take it easy there, I just said it used to be like that, I'll be headed back.

szw
01-28-2006, 01:50 PM
I find with indian food the portions do look very small, however it is very filling, so the looks are deceiving.
Also it is quite overpriced in this city, but not much you can do about that.

nonlinear
01-28-2006, 02:59 PM
yea you definately gotta order several things and do it up family style. we ususally get like 1 item/person, add rice and a few appz and we always take home extra

phreezee
02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
How's the pricing?

dino_martini
02-01-2006, 06:22 PM
The pricing isnt bad. It was about $100 for the four of us with wine. That was without desert though. Maybe try to lunch buffet if your on a budget. Call ahead for lunch buffet though. The people we were with said that it is always,Always packed for lunch, if you dont have a reservation you probably will wait a long time.