PDA

View Full Version : How about a Probe?

A790
01-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Hey guys,

I sold the Silvia the other day and now I'm looking for a new car. The requirements were:
- has to been "sporty"
- has to be two door.
- has to be less than 170,000 km's
- has to be a 5 spd.
- has to be under $8500.
- MUST be able to be driven year round.

So I found a 1997 Ford Probe GT. It's carfax is clean, 2 owners before me, 164,000 km's. I'm not too familiar with this car though, so can anyone tell me specifics about it? This one is only $6500, but I'm sure I can get it for $6000.

I'm not interested in opinions that are based on what they've heard or said, I'm looking for people who've owned or driven them.

Here are a couple of pics:

http://www.cmartel.com/prove/probe_1.jpg http://www.cmartel.com/probe/probe_2.jpg http://www.cmartel.com/probe/probe_3.jpg

How reliable are they? Are they expensive to maintain, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks guys.

stevieo
01-28-2006, 07:52 PM
buy my car, a bit over 170k though. :D haha

i dunno, the ford probe isn't something in my taste, but i think they share the same platform as the mx-6?

should be peppy though they come in v6 versions too don't they?

good luck on the car search man, buying a car is a big thing, can't pick the wrong one.

Boosted_TL
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Ford Probelem :thumbsdow

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106970
:thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Not a pick i'd drop $8500 on.

TEAMFaint
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Get a 5th Gen Celica All-trac :D
AWD, Turbo, cant go wrong:bigpimp:

I've drove a ford probe previously and they are actually very nice driving cars. It wasn't a GT so I can't tell how peppy a GT would be, but the 4 cyl. was decent compared to a lot of other cars. Reliability wise they will be pretty much bang onto MX6 reliablity for they share the same platform.

IMO I wouldn't spend $8500 on a Probe though, I'd go for something a little more reliable. I'd probably try to find a 5th or 6th gen celica OR an Integra, they are definately a wicked vehicle.

Whatever you end up with, hope you're happy with it :thumbsup:

big mooe
01-28-2006, 10:00 PM
they are not bad cars if u maintain them but i wouldnt pay more then 5k for it

jaysas_63
01-28-2006, 10:05 PM
you could do a lot better for 8500

A790
01-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey guys, the price is only $6000 from the dealer. Feels very solid, everything works well and the cabin is quiet.

Or, should I try and talk him down even lower (he wanted $6888)?

infected
01-28-2006, 11:51 PM
For $6000 it sounds alright but you'll definately be missing out on the "pimp" factor. Should have kept the Silvia :(

CryoCarnage
01-28-2006, 11:54 PM
i dotmn get why u sold the silvia in the first place. i cant stand to drive anythign other then RWD or AWD in any weather. RWD in winter kicks ass and personally, i htink its better then FWD.

A790
01-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by infected
For $6000 it sounds alright but you'll definately be missing out on the "pimp" factor. Should have kept the Silvia :(

The Silvia was costing me too much basically.

handsomebassman
01-29-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by A790

The Silvia was costing me too much basically.

:werd:
Its nice having a vehicle that doesnt cost you hundreds every couple of days. Ive been down that road.:thumbsdow

Goblin
01-29-2006, 10:13 AM
Just get some rims

some crappy car and just put some rims on it.

black men could do something in the world but they just go and blow it on rims.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/w/d/wda110/i/spinnaz.gif

(my somewhat close script of chris rocks stand up)

Sorath
01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
ford......

at least they circled the problem

:D :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HRD2PLZ
01-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Probe Talk Forum (http://www.probetalk.com)

I had a few problems with my Probe, but it was mainly due to the inexperience of the mechanic that had replaced the belts before I bought it. A few years ago I had a 1994 Probe GT. Fun car, service it at Mazda (since its Mazda internals, and Ford doesn't know squat about this car). In all honesty, if I found a good deal on another one ('97 GT or GTS) I would consider it for an occasional car. For one thing, the wheels on the silver one are backwards :rofl:
I never found my Probe overly expensive to maintain, put it in the same ballpark as the imports. It was brutal in the winter though, the stock P225/50/16 tires aren't winter friendly. If you plan to drive in the winter, make sure to invest in a set of winters. It looks like the only thing the silver one pictured above is missing is the power antenna (not sure if they carried that through to ther '97 models and a sunroof). The GTS package would have added racing stripes and chrome plated wheels.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

infected
01-29-2006, 01:44 PM
Only the front ones are reversed right?

CIVIC_MAN
01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
if you are going to go for a probe definitely get the GT which has 168hp as compared to like 140 or somethin. Its the exact same motor that is in the Mazda Mx-6. The mx-6's have base and LS models just like the Probe has a base and GT. They arent bad cars....ofcourse everyone has something different to say about them. Because when a car is approaching ten years old it has been through many owners' hands, so the abuse SOME probes might take are more than others, making some of them seem like junk when reality they are just victims of abuse. The key is to find a car that was either babied, or an old guy or woman owned it who were the second owners. thats what i did!

A790
01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
This particular car has only had 2 owners before me, and it's never been in an accident or written off etc.

LOL, the rims are hilarious.

I think I might pick it up :)

habsfan
01-29-2006, 06:37 PM
i've never really looked into them, the thought of owning a car that makes me think of aliens shoving things in my nether regions is none too appealing to me ;)

but from what i've heard, reliability wise they aren't bad, but there isnt very much aftermarket support for them :dunno:

Millsie
01-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I owned an Mx6 for 4 years. V6, was really nice to drive, never had any major issues except an alternator replacement. Some things to watch out for

1. Listen to it idle. Make sure you start it cold and if it taps, be aware it is a costly, though cosmetic repair. Look up HLA tick on probetalk.com for more info.

2. Early models (93-94), can have crappy rear calipers that seize up. Prob solved 95 and up.

3. Distributor has issues, again later model corrected (95 and up)

4. Mazda techs know it better, but the Ford parts are typically cheaper, so be aware.

GT2NV
01-29-2006, 07:19 PM
my rear calipers are seized right now hahaha... i havent had a problem with my probe... but it all depends on how it was maintained before you, mine is very reliable, and ill admit to driving it harder... ive gone to penticton for the past 3 years in it (8 hour drive) and the only problem ive ever had is cv joints, seized rear calipers and small brake fluid leak... othrer that that it gets my:thumbsup:

handsomebassman
01-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
Probe Talk Forum (http://www.probetalk.com)
For one thing, the wheels on the silver one are backwards :rofl:

lol, surprised i didnt notice :rofl: :rofl:

A790
01-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Hahaha, yea it sounds good.

As far as aftermarket goes, there's some turbo kits and whatnot available... lowering springs, coilovers etc. I'm not really intending to modify this car too much, I'm importing another JDM car for that ;)

Thanks for the info guys!

(BTW- howcome noone really seems to like probes?)

atomic
01-29-2006, 08:20 PM
(BTW- howcome noone really seems to like probes?) [/B]

becuase it doesn't have a 1.8l engine and a big H on it. :rofl:

A790
01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by atomic

becuase it doesn't have a 1.8l engine and a big H on it. :rofl:

HAHA, too funny.

I don't get it though, looking around I'm seeing some pretty decent numbers for them both NA and boosted.

IE-

195whp NA 2.5L V6, running 14.3 in the quarter... spent under $1500.
320 whp @ 4 psi, running 13.2 in the quarter... entire turbo setup cost $2100.

Apparently the Mazda 2.5L V6 is a strong motor.

atomic
01-30-2006, 12:01 AM

HAHA, too funny.

I don't get it though, looking around I'm seeing some pretty decent numbers for them both NA and boosted.

IE-

195whp NA 2.5L V6, running 14.3 in the quarter... spent under $1500.
320 whp @ 4 psi, running 13.2 in the quarter... entire turbo setup cost $2100.

Apparently the Mazda 2.5L V6 is a strong motor.

it's because this board is honda . that's why the responses have been negative .

both of my cars are ford so don't worry. i think the probe is a great car.

Sorath
01-30-2006, 12:25 AM
cam.. dont do it

@lchy
01-30-2006, 12:33 AM
By the looks of those wheels, you'll do some sweet drag runs in reverse. I would wonder about the guy you are buying it off. If he tells you he did the work himself, run...

bituerbo
01-30-2006, 08:10 AM
Don't buy this car to be fast. These cars are very well designed, and have lots of options available, but going fast isn't one of them. If you get it, do suspension, tires and be happy. Everything else is just a waste of cash on the Probe/MX-6 platform.

The caliper thing is true. FIRST thing you should do is go to a dealership, buy a set of 95+ OEM rear calipers. I had to replace mine twice within 2 years... in the end I'd just park on an angle and leave it in first.

Offer him $4500, because if you pay more than that you're over paying for the car.

HRD2PLZ
01-30-2006, 08:48 AM
To be honest, I loved the Probe because for its age, it looked way ahead of almost any other car on the road. To this day, a '93 or 94' doesn't even look "dated." I had my rear calipers updated to the '95 calipers also. I think on the older model Probes, the head gasket was prone to leaking and their was somesort of valve (oil pressure valve or something) that was prone to failure. I had mine replaced twice.

I noticed the wheels because people commonly mixed around the directionals on the Probes...

Nobody likes Probes because of A) the name and B) The manufacturer. I liked my Probe, but hated the fact that I drove a Ford :rofl: Kind of an oxy moron, I know.

grrouch
01-30-2006, 08:57 AM
You could by my Fort probe GT for $2,300 and spend like a another grand in repairs and have yourself a mint Probe Gt That you know won't break down. Search my thread! :hitit:

canadian_hustla
01-30-2006, 10:41 AM
hey just make sure that you do a carfax on the car to make sure it isn't from Ontario or something. A lot of dealers buy from auctions in those places, and then try to move these lemons westward.

SinisterProbeGt
01-30-2006, 10:43 AM
MY 2 cents.

If you can manage try and find a GTS.
97 are nice they have a few extras that regular probes dont.
Like centre reflector on the back between the tail light so you mount your plate on the bumper not on the back of the car.
Better motor basicially 97 is the last year for this car. all the bugs
have been worked out and it will last you.
there fast enough and with a few upgrade can be a very nice car.
I say if you can pick it up for 6K why not. get a full inspection done
take it to mr.detail in the south for the inspection he does about 90% of the work on probes here in town/. well at least the nice ones.

Bonka
01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
Oil leaks galore (spark plug cover, manifold)
Cheap aluminum exhaust piping and muffler
HLA tick is normal wouldn't worry too much
Torn cv boots
Idle
Thin paint/clearcoat

Nice car overall I got mine for $2,700 the $6k price is a bit high....

There's actually quite a few mods for it not the kind of car I'd boost with (factory shoe-horned engine) but a KL02 --> KLZE swap is an option...

Def_3
01-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bonka
Oil leaks galore (spark plug cover, manifold)
Cheap aluminum exhaust piping and muffler
HLA tick is normal wouldn't worry too much
Torn cv boots
Idle
Thin paint/clearcoat

Nice car overall I got mine for $2,700 the $6k price is a bit high....

There's actually quite a few mods for it not the kind of car I'd boost with (factory shoe-horned engine) but a KL02 --> KLZE swap is an option... exactly

and its funny my buddy has a 96 gt and has the exact problems,

its an alright car, but definetly not wirth 6 grand though

GT2NV
01-30-2006, 02:02 PM
IMO its worth the 6 grand if its in mint condition, very quick car for stock...:thumbsup: go for it if it all checks out

GT2NV
01-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by habsfan

but from what i've heard, reliability wise they aren't bad, but there isnt very much aftermarket support for them :dunno:

and this quote is far from true

CryoCarnage
01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
^exactly the opposite in real world :rofl:

EnRich
01-31-2006, 11:15 PM
where is this car located? what dealer? info?

CIVIC_MAN
01-31-2006, 11:17 PM
even if your buying a used car from a dealer and they say they have a warranty and all that b/s, still get it checked out my a non biased mechanic. ive seen too many ppl not do it and end up payin for it

A790
02-01-2006, 12:21 AM
The car is mine. I am picking it up tommorrow morning.

I am having current issues with fraud, and they are being extremely understanding and helpful.

As well, it includes a powertrain warrenty and a bunch of other stuff. These guys are family friends and I trust them.

EnRich
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
Well if it doesnt go through, I have a buyer, bro wants it... so make sure you let me know the info ... grats on the car

A790
02-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Yea I picked it up yesterday.

Tis a fun car :)