PDA

View Full Version : car not startin?

@lchy
01-28-2006, 05:55 PM
This all started with a busted crank pulley ( no alternator belt..) and after discovering my dilema, i decided to finish my 5 -10 min drive home anyway. Now i've replaced it, also replaced timing and balance shaft belts and now the car doesn't fire. The starter is engaging, but no dice.. I made ABSOLUTLEY sure all my timing marks were lined up, engine was set on TDC blah blah... Is my battery fried, i tried jumpin it off another car, and had the battery hooked up to a charger for about 4-5 hours. Could my timing be far enough off that it won't start? is my battery pooched? any ideas??

AllGoNoShow
01-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Starter enguaging but engine is not rotating?

If so, battery probably discharged as alt belt wasn't there then when you went to charge/boost it you may have hooked up wrong or incorrectly and pooched the battery or a fuseable link.

If starting is enguaging and engine is rotating then you probably just have to adjust it until you can get ti running.

The timing marks are lineup points with the TDC but even with it lined up like that if you have screwed with the distributor or anythign esle there is a chance that you still have to manually adjust the distributor until it bites in then fine tune it from there. If you have a timing gun this makes the world of difference of setting ti to factory spec instead of just guessing.

If you think it is your battery, take it to Canadian Tire and get them to test it out for you, I believe it is free. Fountain Tire also does it I believe, for a nominal charge, unless you talk them into free but atleast you know its being done right.

@lchy
01-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Anyone know where i can rent a timing light. I don't want to buy one. When my car died, at the end of my driveway, the same thing happened when i tired to start it, ( starter engages but no spark). I swapped in a known good battery and no difference. It feels like im trying to start it with no gas. I am gonna test for spark when someone else gets home to crank it for me but i can't figure this one out. I know if i am a tooth or two out it will have a significant impact on timing but adjusting the dizzy ( maybe 15 degrees max adjustment) did nothing at all. I got a loud pop out of the tailpipe once, but nothing else.

Weapon_R
01-28-2006, 09:32 PM
is the engine turning over? If it is, the battery is fine. It's probably your timing.

@lchy
01-28-2006, 09:33 PM
k, i have spark... i guess i need a timing light. Any other input would help a lot!

Vietsta
01-28-2006, 09:49 PM
is gas going though to the engine and if so you might how flooded the engine with gas i think?

@lchy
01-29-2006, 01:24 AM
I though that too but i let it sit for a few hours and still nothing. I am still confused though because after the car cut out the first time ( at the end of my driveway) and i hadn't touched anything yet, it did the same thing as it does now after i did all the belts and such. I guess i will check the timing and see. Can i rent a light from part source or something?

Aleannex
01-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Double check your valve timing, forget the timing light.

AllGoNoShow
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Pull the plugs and smell for fuel, if you got the 2 that leaves it to timing, either timing of igniton or your out a tooth on the timing belt aligning the valves.

@lchy
01-30-2006, 12:10 AM
all i smell is oil, no fuel? i might be overtired or just plain retarded but i smell no gas. I tried moving the belt one tooth to either side of where i though it was supposed to , plus adjusted the distributor cap to a few positions with the belt in all three places and nothing. I have spark for sure, any ideas?? I have never done any checks for fuel, can i just pull an injector??

Aleannex
02-01-2006, 08:14 PM
All I could think of at this point is lack of fuel pressure or injectors not firing: fuel pump, main relay, fuses, ecu.
Does your check engine light come on with the ignition in the ON position?

Accord_tunerx
02-02-2006, 12:32 AM
samething happened 2 me in my 90 accord ex-r.
my timing-belt snapped and my valves bent so i had to replace engine.

@lchy
02-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Well my belt only slipped a tooth or two while i was hand tightening it so no bent valves. I found a ground disconnected from a fuel line which fixed my fuel problem. I now have spark, compression, and air. The spark does seem sort of irratic and inconsistent but it should have atleast fired one cylinder once by now. The contact points on my distributor cap are gettin pretty corroded, and a screw broke off, so i am gonna get a new cap just cause, not sure that will fix it. I am totally out of ideas on this one.

@lchy
02-04-2006, 09:14 AM
All the lights come on at first but only the oil and battery stay on while cranking.

Slashin_
02-16-2006, 12:42 PM
not to thread jack or anything......but my car won't start when
its realli cold.....the key can't turn when in iginition? usally i just force it to turn until a clik happen then starts fine but i broke 2 spare kjeys tryin to do this......any ideas....89 camry if it helps