PDA

View Full Version : Need a recommendation

4wheeldrift
03-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Hi everyone,

The stock speakers in my car have finally succumbed to much abuse over the last 4 years, and I'm looking for replacements. I've only got a budget of $300 to work with including installation costs. I'm looking for 4 6.5" speakers. I'd prefer something wtih a mounting depth of less than 1.75" inches, because anything more than that will require major surgery on the doors, though the back ones can go deeper. I've already got a decent head unit and a changer, and i don't want a sub or anything else. I just don't know anything about car audio so I thought I'd shake the tree and see what happened.

Thanks,

Warren

Integra Type R
03-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Rockford's sound sweet, PG do too, but for 300 for 2 sets, maybe go with a 2oo front and then 1oo rear. FYI, my friend has 175 rockfords in front and no rears and that car sounds SWEET!!!!

Mike

buh_buh
03-08-2003, 02:17 PM
You should just buy like a whole set. I bought my JLs for around that much and I got speakers, tweeters and crossovers. It sounds MUCH better than stock.

Fuji
03-08-2003, 02:23 PM
I have heard rockfords, had PG's coax and have Eclipse components. The best by far are teh Eclipse components. They have the cleanest sound out of them all, not to mention better bass than the others.

Fuji
03-08-2003, 02:24 PM
PS the components are kind of a pain to put int he doors. There is only one spot where you can mount it... (trial and error :( )

2000impreza
03-08-2003, 03:07 PM
most 6.5" speakers will need a custom spacer to fit in the door to avoid clearance problems with the window.

4wheeldrift
03-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Ended up getting Cerwin Vegas in the front (shallow enough that they fit no problem after a little trimming of the rain shield) and Legacys for the rear. Sounds really good actually, very well balanced. Went to Econosound and they did the whole install and everythign while I was waited, and cut me an awesome deal. Highly recommend them to anyone looking for stuff.

Integra Type R
03-08-2003, 05:18 PM
ECONO SOUND!!! that guy and me just do not get along!!! I think in the long run you will have problems with legacy, only her bad things about them, plus you can buy legacy at london drugs, so you tell me. Cerwin Vegs are not bad, but my friend bought a sub from there, cerwin vega and only had it for a couple months and now it blew and they are not doin anything about it.

4wheeldrift
03-08-2003, 05:24 PM
This is about my third time going to econosound and I've never had any real trouble with them. With only $300 to spend including install it made it tough to get anything really good all around. Opted to put the good speakers in the front and use cheaper ones in the rear. We'll see how things go. So far I'm quite happy with the sound.

Integra Type R
03-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeah his prices are hard to beat, but that is just what I have herd and thought. The guy is too stuck on Legacy, but all I hear is bad things about that stuff. But I am glad you do like its sound, hope it does good for you!!

Mike

Fuji
03-09-2003, 02:16 PM
You could have taken the 30 minutes to install them yourself! :)

Canadian 2.5RS
03-09-2003, 03:12 PM
i would've just got a decent pair of components and stuck em up front. do you ever sit in the back of your car? plus rear fill is over rated.

oh well whats done is done. as long as youre happy