PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on a protege mp3 please

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 03:49 PM
Just a quick question: Do you think a 2001 Pretege MP3 with 9,000 kms is worth $22,000? The only mods are PIAA headlights and tinted windows.. Otherwise it's completely stock. Any imput is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

max_boost
03-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Ummm.....sure, sounds like a demo car? Not a bad price.....go for it! haha and get them to shave $2000 off the price hehe

Glowrider
03-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Eh...I wouldn't pay that much for a used car.

CRXguy
03-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Like MB said, it's not a bad price. Is power a major concern? If it is, look for something else.

Why don't you wait for the new batch of 2003 MazdaSpeed Protege's? There'll be a couple new colors from what I heard, unless you like the orange-peachy color. There's still one at North Hill last time I checked.

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Yeah, i was debating on whether or not to get the mazdaspeed, but the mp3 has better handling.

Apparently the guy bought the mp3 for $26,xxx new from a dealership from lethbridge (? I can't remember) and is selling it because he can't afford to keep two cars. The lack of hp isn't really a huge concern.

MB: I was thinking the same thing... to ask for $20,000. I just think $22,000 is pricey for a used car, even if it does have extremelly low clicks.

max_boost
03-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Bring him a bank draft or cash in $20000 haha and flash it before his eyes.....guaranteed he will sell you the car on the spot! And bksze has access to car fax reports because he bought a 30 day membership thing......so get the V.I.N and PM bksze right away to run a check for you!

As for the cash thing, I learnt it from my buddy importz haha

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Hahaha... the cash flash sounds like a really good idea!... now I just have to go and rob a bank...

And as for getting the V.I.N. how long until bksze has until his 30 days are up? The guy selling it is in Toronto for a business trip right now and he prob wont be back until later this week.

LUDELVR
03-08-2003, 04:58 PM
you're gonna have to change your name now!!! ;)

CRXguy
03-08-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by preludegrl
Yeah, i was debating on whether or not to get the mazdaspeed, but the mp3 has better handling.

Errrrr.....:confused:

The Mazdaspeed is built off the same platform as the previous MP3. The MSP actually has beefier suspension components than the MP3, if I remember right.

If you really want to know more about the car, check out www.mazdamp3.com

Too bad Mazda couldn't get their shit together, since I had a deposit on the MSP. I ended up getting a better car anyways. Good Luck! :)

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

Errrrr.....:confused:

The Mazdaspeed is built off the same platform as the previous MP3. The MSP actually has beefier suspension components than the MP3, if I remember right.

Sorry. I was just going off an ariticle I read in Road and Track a while back. Maybe I misread... but thanks for the heads up.

boi-alien
03-08-2003, 05:08 PM
i remember driving my friend's mp3... fun car good handling.. but a little too gutless for me... i would definitely try for $20,000

bksze has his carfax account for another couple weeks. see if you can contact the seller and get him to give you the VIN.

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
you're gonna have to change your name now!!! ;)

Hahah. That's ok. My name is getting too generic anyways...

preludegrl
03-08-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien
i remember driving my friend's mp3... fun car good handling.. but a little too gutless for me... i would definitely try for $20,000

bksze has his carfax account for another couple weeks. see if you can contact the seller and get him to give you the VIN.

Cool. Thanks. :)

Yeah, when I test drove it, it wasn't on the greatest of conditions. There was still snow on the ground and the street was a bit icy. I was also driving on summer tires, which made it that much more fun.

As for being gutless, that's ok... because I figure I've got to start small before I start playing with the big boys. ;)

Stratus_Power
03-08-2003, 07:51 PM
how much is carfax? can i take advantage of bksze's account too???

Hollywood
03-08-2003, 08:09 PM
Hahaha... the cash flash sounds like a really good idea!... now I just have to go and rob a bank...

And as for getting the V.I.N. how long until bksze has until his 30 days are up? The guy selling it is in Toronto for a business trip right now and he prob wont be back until later this week.

He probly wont settle too low off the asking price, just because it is pretty new and a rare car, he would probly wait till someone would pay close to the asking price.

I heard they were hard to drive on deerfoot due to lack of power. But a nice looking car. But I agre with the above, go the gusto spend the extra bit of cash and get the mazdaspeed. It will be much easier for you to sell it than the MP3 ever, and just with the release of the mazdaspeed, the MP3 drops in resale value. Alsoyoucould probly get cheaper financing for the mazdaspeed. Work out the financing numbers, the MP3 since it is used might be more intrest, do your bean counting and you might find the mazda speed only a few thousand more.

I personally love the mazdaspeed proto, I would get one over any other car in that range hands down......Turbo rules!

szw
03-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

I heard they were hard to drive on deerfoot due to lack of power.

Can't be that bad...more than half the cars on the road probably have less power.

CRXguy
03-08-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by szw

Can't be that bad...more than half the cars on the road probably have less power.

Exactly. When I had the Protege5, it was much more easier to pass on the highway. With the Civic I'm driving now, I have to shift down to D3 to get the car moving! :D

RiceCake
03-08-2003, 10:46 PM
The MP3 is not bad for a daily commuter with good handling. Its not gonna have much guts but out of its class, its not too shabby too. :)

cocoabrova
03-09-2003, 06:13 PM
There nice looking cars, or else you just wait a few months for the MSP's to come out;)

___2PaC___
03-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Hahaha... the cash flash sounds like a really good idea!...

:werd:

preludegrl
03-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood

I heard they were hard to drive on deerfoot due to lack of power.

When I was test driving the mp3, it seemed like power wasn't an issue. I live in Edmonton and there aren't exactly a lot of roads where the speed limit exceeds 60km/h. The thing is, I'm buying it because I'm moving to Calgary, so if it is an issue with driving on Deerfoot and other roads, then I might have to reconsider...

CRXguy
03-10-2003, 11:10 AM

When I was test driving the mp3, it seemed like power wasn't an issue. I live in Edmonton and there aren't exactly a lot of roads where the speed limit exceeds 60km/h. The thing is, I'm buying it because I'm moving to Calgary, so if it is an issue with driving on Deerfoot and other roads, then I might have to reconsider...

I had a Protege5 last year, same engine, but it had 130hp instead of 140hp on the MP3. You have nothing to worry about driving on Deerfoot, or any highway for that matter.

Hollywood
03-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by CRXguy

I had a Protege5 last year, same engine, but it had 130hp instead of 140hp on the MP3. You have nothing to worry about driving on Deerfoot, or any highway for that matter.

They would not let me drive it, but someone told me he had a hard time on deerfoot, but I think he was used to more power so it was more of an issue for him....

Fuji
03-10-2003, 12:51 PM
C'mon guys you are making it seem the car is piss slow. It has more HP than a civic Si and even the cheap se is fast enough for deerfoot, you just have to give it a bit of gas :)

If you are interested in the car I would say go for it. It is not super slow and will provide you with plenty of power to get around town.

If you were thinking about racing it then I would say it may not be the best choice in terms of HP, but otherwise it is pretty cool. I mean if you can get a decent deal go for it, you will have a pretty exclusive car.

preludegrl
03-11-2003, 10:03 AM
Arg.. the seller bumped up his price by a grand making it $22,900. WTF. He quoted me a price of $22,000 before he started advertsing the car but when I saw the ad the price was 22,900 firm. arrrgggg....

I doubt I'll buy it for that much, but thanks for all the input!

max_boost
03-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Hollywood man! I've driven a Ford Aspire! and if that thing can go to 110km on Deerfoot, the MP3 should be no problem! lol

Fuji
03-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Arg.. the seller bumped up his price by a grand making it $22,900. WTF. He quoted me a price of $22,000 before he started advertsing the car but when I saw the ad the price was 22,900 firm. arrrgggg....

I doubt I'll buy it for that much, but thanks for all the input!

Oh well. If it makes you feel any better there is a chick here that drives one of those already.

CRXguy
03-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

Oh well. If it makes you feel any better there is a chick here that drives one of those already.

The old MP3 or the new orange one? I've seen both already anyways. :D

Altezza
03-11-2003, 04:30 PM
I've seen the new orange one in Eau Claire (plate: MSpeed). The only MP3 I've seen is some Filipino guy driving it.