PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying skates

Nav13
01-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Alright heres the deal, I played hockey when I was younger for 3 years, this was back in gr6-8, I havent skated since then, this was 6 years ago. I went to the oval last weekend and rented a pair and now I'm looking to buy. When I played hockey I got my brothers hand me downs, so I dont know jack about skates. I dont need anything fancy and am looking to spend ~$100, more if its worth it. I just took a quick look on sportchek.ca and found these two pairs and was wondering if they are any good, or should I avoid them, pay the extra cash and get something else? Keep in mind most my skating will be at the oval with alittle outdoor also, nothing very agressive though.

Pair one C.C.M. vector 3.0
http://www.sportchek.ca/product_description.jhtml?id=prod3480011&fromSpecificCategory=true

whats the difference between the 3.0 and 4.0 is the $50 extra justified? what the difference between a $100 skate and $500 skate?

Pair two Easton Ultra
http://www.sportchek.ca/product_description.jhtml?id=prod3520017&fromSpecificCategory=true

any help is greatly appreciated.

calgarygts
01-30-2006, 12:22 PM
If all you're going to be doing is skating at the oval or outside, no hockey games (or tames ones if there are), then just find something that feels good and buy them. You don't need 500$ skates for that, just make sure that what you buy feels good on your feet.

l8braker
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
^ :werd: If your not playing hockey on a team or anything like that, hit up a Sport Swap and get a nice used pair of ccm tacks.

LudeRoca
01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
yea there no way I was gonna spend $500 on skates, I was just wondering what the big difference was, what is it that makes them so expensive?

l8braker
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Better and more expensive materials. The technology they use to make skates now is insane, but it's nothing casual skaters like you or I need really.

Nav13
01-30-2006, 02:23 PM
^^^ woops posted while on my brothers account (luderoca). Hrmm yea I would rather spend the extra and get brand new, not a big fan of buying used skates. When I played my coach also told me that tacks were good skates, wasnt sure if it was true or not.

l8braker
01-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Tacks are the way to go. I just got mine sharpened and can't wait to get out later this week :thumbsup:

Nav13
01-30-2006, 02:28 PM
How are the tacks compared to the two I posted in the orignal post? or at this price level is it all about personal feel?
edit: should be more specific, say the 452 tacks?

l8braker
01-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Well it's all gonna come down to personal feel of course. Will the 500$ pair feel better than a 100$ used pair @ Sports swap... Maybe. Tacks are just quality old school skates. The best skate imo, and they're priced pretty good too. solid all around

Nav13
01-30-2006, 04:06 PM
alright sounds good, thanks for the input l8braker, if anyone else wants to through in there 2 cents, by all means.

calgarygts
01-30-2006, 04:15 PM
I've had tacks for a lot of years now and I'm pretty happy with them. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand if I were you - just get the most comfortable skates you can find in your price range.

snowboard
01-30-2006, 04:19 PM
The New eastons are unbelievable man.
Played hockey for 12 years. havent played for like 2 now. but i still spent the big bucks cause i play alot of outdoor rinky.
but my advice to you is spend about 200 on some eastons. they are well worth it.

Nav13
01-31-2006, 05:36 PM
yea i dont know about $200, little steap for me, but Iam just gonna go try all the ones in my price range and pic the best feeling ones, like people have said to do.

tokes
01-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Nobody can tell you what fits best, go find a good LHS, tell them your budget, and try everything on, like you said.

I'll illustrate some of the differences between ultra high end skates and some lower/middle range skates.

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/6067/sidebyside6om.jpg

On the left are Nike FlexLite 12's, on the right are CCM Classic Tacks. The FL12's retailed for $699.99 (Plus insoles, radiusing, different hollow, and shifting the holders makes for just under $850, gulp), and the CCM's for around 200 dollars. The biggest difference is the weight. The CCM's are an 11D and the Nike's are an 8.5D, but one of the CCM skates weighs as much as both of the Nike's. That's huge when you're talking about something you're lifting and slinging around. Also, note the holder, steel, outsole, and toecap. The Nike's have lighter, stiffer Lightspeed holders with perforated steel to save even more weight, and the steel is of a higher quality stainless so it is less prone to rusting and holds an edge better. The cheaper holder and steel on the CCM's is also more prone to bending as they get older. The outsoles on the Nikes are carbon fiber vs. less stiff plastic on the CCM's, which makes for a more responsive skate. The Toecap on the CCM's is fabric and plastic on the FlexLites, and the plastic is lighter and more durable.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6328/interior3sq.jpg

Here's the biggest difference for me, the inside of the boot. Notice how the Nike has thick padding, a hydrophobic clarino liner, and a tonque that is already pre-moulded to shape around your foot. The CCM's have a meshy nylon liner, thin ankle padding that has worn out quickly, and a limp felt tonque.

Do you need a 700 dollar pair of skates? Absolutely not. Getting a pair of skates too stiff for your feet is going to be just as bad as a pair too cheap. Lower cut, stiffer skates are only going to make your skating worse if you don't have the proper technique for them yet. Also, an expensive boot that is not perfectly fitted will be much more uncomfortable on your foot than a cheaper boot that is not fitted perfectly. All that stiffness adds up to a lot of pressure points if it's not done right.

IMHO it's worth looking into some skates in the ~150 dollar price range if you play any pick up hockey at all. They will last much longer, and be worth the money down the road.

Edited for a typo ;)

Nav13
01-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Woa thanks alot man, its like nite and day now, the nikes do seem alot more comfortable. Um how do you know if the skate is fitting around your foot properly? When I rented skates I got a size 10, because my shoe size is from 10-10.5. I put the skates on an my toe was about 3/4 of an inch away from the tip, the skate was snug everywhere except I could fit my finger down the back of my ankle into the skate, is that bad? or did I not tie it tight enough? ( i had the laces rapped around the ankle also) Because the next time I went I got a pair that was 9.5, this time my toe was bewteen 1/4-1/2 and inch from the tip of the skate and again it was snug all around, but this time it was alot tougher getting my finger into the skate along the back of my ankle, I though this was the right size. However after a couple laps around the rink the bottom of my feet were killing it felt like my foot was on the verge of cramping up but not quite there so I just loosened the laces near the bottom of the skate and kept the top laces tight, and it felt fine. Is there some simple test to determine if you have the right size skate?

tokes
01-31-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm not from Calgary so I don't know any shops there, but a good place that deals eclusively with hockey or that has a huge hockey section should be able to help you out. They'll use one of those metal gimmicks to measure the width of your heel and forefoot, and then measure out the length of your foot. When I pull my insoles out of my skates and compare them up to my foot there is a bit of room in front of my toes, and that's about it. You want them to be snug without being painful. Skate sizing differs between brands, and even boots within brands. IE, I wear a size 8.5D Flexlite, but I could barely squeeze myself into a size 10.5EE Quest 6 or some other mid range Nike skate. My roller hockey skates are are Mission boot size 10EE, so it really varies a lot brand-to-brand. I normally wear a size 11.5 to size 12 shoe, but I like my street shoes a bit on the loose size. Skate fitting is something that is so much personal preference I think you give up a lot by not going and having somebody who knows what they're doing fit you in person.

Ben
01-31-2006, 07:45 PM
It's not so much about getting a more comfortable hockey skate when you spend big bucks...it's the support you get.

I played hockey for 12 years, and always laughed at kids that skated around with their ankles bent because they were trying to play hockey in a base model bauer (think 80's) (even though they had baller pads). When you play hockey you need the ankle support, ankle support helps you Stop, Turn, Accellerate, shoot, give and recieve checks; it's detrimental to playing competitive hockey.

If you're looking for something to just bum around on and play some light no contact pick up hockey, you shouldn't have to spend more than a buck and a half, 200 bones, to get out there and enjoy yourself.

Often the comfort of a lower end skate will appeal to a novice skater or non competitve hockey player because you dont have to break in an inch of padding around your ankle and will give you some forgiveness if you havent built up the muscles in your legs to skate hard.

As mentioned above, skate manufacturers fit differently. I always wore CCM Tacks, 752's, 952's and my last 2 years I wore 1052's. Those things were tanks and took some breaking in let me tell ya, not to mention the baking them in ovens and having the blades rockered. But they become a part of your leg basically. I always found CCM to be a little wider in the ball of the foot, and the bauers to be a little narrower (My Bauer 7000's were harsh, only used them for a half season).

I currently have some Easton Skates, Air I believe, w/ the Carbon Fiber/Kevlar holders and 'razor blades'. Bought them because the padding was so thick and I was still officiating, I needed my Skates to offer good protection from being hit by pucks, as well as stay sharp.

It's all personal preference. My advice would be to head to Sport Swap, they carry both Low and High end new, as well as used, so you have EVERYTHING to choose from. Also this is a good way to see if it's something you like, as you can always trade back for something else.

Hope that Helps.

FiveFreshFish
01-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Nav13
( i had the laces rapped around the ankle also)

Contrary to popular practice, wrapping the laces around the ankle does not add a whole lot more support. With a properly fitted boot that has good support, you will not have to do this. Plus, skates are not designed to accommodate ankle wrapping.

Just get laces that are the proper length and you won't succumb to this silly practice.

Ben
01-31-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Contrary to popular practice, wrapping the laces around the ankle does not add a whole lot more support. With a properly fitted boot that has good support, you will not have to do this. Plus, skates are not designed to accommodate ankle wrapping.

Just get laces that are the proper length and you won't succumb to this silly practice.

I just sock taped mine. Made sure my laces were out of the way, my socks stayed put, and even more support.

I mean come on, it's all about how big of a tape ball you could make by the end of the season. :rofl:

Nav13
03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
Sorry for bumping my old thread back up, but I ended up buying a pair of skates from sport swap and had some new questions.

1) I ended up spending alittle more then I intended to and bought the ccm vector 6.0's for $185. Does anyone know what these were going for before? The tag said orignal $300 but Iam doubting that was the actual price.

2) The size I got was 8.5 E. At first I tried on the 8.5D at sportchek but it was too tight, they didnt have the E's but I finaly found a pair at sport swap. The E's felt alot better. Ive been wearing them in the house trying to break them in abit and noticed it does squeeze the middle of my foot abit causing mild discomfort. Will the skates break in and will this go away or did I buy a bad size and should a different skate? since they said the next biggest size width wise will have to be special ordered and costs alot.

3) I was told by the staff that the skates can be heat molded but this voids the warranty. They suggested that I just put the skates over top a boiling kettle letting them fill with steam and then lace em up realy tight for 20 mins. Do you guys recomend heat molding them in the store, or just do the kettle thing, or neither?

4) Finaly anyone have an experience with the 6.0's, I know its kinda dumb asking this after buying the skates, but I have 2 weeks to return them.

snowboard
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
i woulda done it in the store, well in fact i did for mine haha.
i dunno about the kettle thing never heard of that, ive used a heat gun before though, and it worked great, and wasnt wet and gross like steam haha.

lastprodigy
03-06-2006, 08:12 PM
ahh the memories....miss being a goalie :(

gongSHOW
03-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Sorry for bumping my old thread back up, but I ended
2) The size I got was 8.5 E. At first I tried on the 8.5D at sportchek but it was too tight, they didnt have the E's but I finaly found a pair at sport swap. The E's felt alot better. Ive been wearing them in the house trying to break them in abit and noticed it does squeeze the middle of my foot abit causing mild discomfort. Will the skates break in and will this go away or did I buy a bad size and should a different skate? since they said the next biggest size width wise will have to be special ordered and costs alot.

If you are talking about squeezing the base of the foot, getting pressure points around your arch in the middle of the foot there is usually not too much you can do as there isn't much padding/give in that area. Usually tacks fit a little narrower, but the E should be a reasonable size. Although its only mild discomfort if your looking to play hockey or skate for long periods of time, it will grow, had the same problem. Best thing if you were looking to keep the skates would be to punch it out, "bubble punch" i think they call it. You can do that at professional, Tuxedo, B&P etc.

Anyways if you were looking for skates I would suggest looking at some used pairs. At Play it Again Sports in Westhills, they have a huge selection and often a lot of Grafs barely used, or in good condition and they are almost all priced at $150 wheter it be 502 or 735s. Most of the skates are valued due to company and wear, so definitely some deals to be had. This is assuming you can return them......

3) I was told by the staff that the skates can be heat molded but this voids the warranty. They suggested that I just put the skates over top a boiling kettle letting them fill with steam and then lace em up realy tight for 20 mins. Do you guys recomend heat molding them in the store, or just do the kettle thing, or neither?

Steaming the skates (kettle) works well just its hard to evenly distribute the heat throughout the boot and is very hot in the boot due to the steam, you will likely have to blow into it. You wanna make sure for the first say 15 minutes you don't move because teh boot is really soft and moving would move your foot, and screw up your mold. After walk around and bend your knees and stuff. But again it won't do too much if your getting pain around the arch especially near the base/side of your foot.

LudeRoca
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
^^^ hey thanks alot for the info, it helps alot. Yea I think I am just gonna return these skates, this morning my feet are still hurting and I only had them on for an hour yesterday while sitting at my comp, so they are definently going back. Iam gonna give that play it again sports a try. I know earlier in the thread I said I didnt want to go used, but it seems there are some deals to be had.

Just wondering though, when I was at sportswap I got the life time membership for $20, only because it includes 20 free skate sharpenings, is that a good deal? to me $1/sharpen seems like it cant be beat, but maybe other stores offer even better incentives?

edit: Damn brother always logs on while on my comp. This is Nav13.

gongSHOW
03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
^^^ hey thanks alot for the info, it helps alot. Yea I think I am just gonna return these skates, this morning my feet are still hurting and I only had them on for an hour yesterday while sitting at my comp, so they are definently going back. Iam gonna give that play it again sports a try. I know earlier in the thread I said I didnt want to go used, but it seems there are some deals to be had.

Just wondering though, when I was at sportswap I got the life time membership for $20, only because it includes 20 free skate sharpenings, is that a good deal? to me $1/sharpen seems like it cant be beat, but maybe other stores offer even better incentives?

edit: Damn brother always logs on while on my comp. This is Nav13.
Ya definitely can't beat taht but usually there skate sharpenings suck to be honest. When I had regular blades always went to Professional or the guy in Centinneal Areas, but you probably will notice only a little difference.

PS when you're looking at used skates check the Blade for how much is left, interior boot wear and of course the outter boot wear. Its pretty obvious to find the skates that have been abused oppose to the well taken care of skates. Also if you have a wide foot maybe look for a 705 in Grafs as that is there wide model in the 7-series.

Nav13
03-09-2006, 07:28 PM
^^^ again thanks for the tips. Yea I noticed when I brought the skates home that the job they did in sharpening the skates (gree one when you buy skates) kinda blew. It seems they dont sharpen them as much just so they dull out faster. I am going back on saturday to return the skates, if they take the membership back too Iam gonna return that also. I have a feeling I waited to long in the season and most the skates are gonna be gone, but I guess its alright since the oval is closed until July anyway.

Wondering if anyone wants to through they're input on heat molding the skates. Will it effect the life of the skate like I was told at sport swap or is it definently worth it?

snowboard
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
^^^ again thanks for the tips. Yea I noticed when I brought the skates home that the job they did in sharpening the skates (gree one when you buy skates) kinda blew. It seems they dont sharpen them as much just so they dull out faster. I am going back on saturday to return the skates, if they take the membership back too Iam gonna return that also. I have a feeling I waited to long in the season and most the skates are gonna be gone, but I guess its alright since the oval is closed until July anyway.

Wondering if anyone wants to through they're input on heat molding the skates. Will it effect the life of the skate like I was told at sport swap or is it definently worth it?

if your happy with the way the skates fit, mold them and youll be even happier.

but it also depends what model and brand you get, the lower the model usually the less they would mold...

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by gongSHOW
PS when you're looking at used skates check the Blade for how much is left, interior boot wear and of course the outter boot wear.

Also check how tightly the blade is mounted to the skate boot. My original 703s have been through 4 sets of blades, and the rivet holes on one boot are getting loose such that I can move the front of the blade from side to side a couple of mm by hand. Time to retire them soon.

sl888
01-15-2009, 03:42 AM
BUMP!
When I take the insoles out and put my feet on that, there is about less than 1/2 inch from my longest toe and the end. My buddy said that my toes should be lightly brushed against the tip. So are my skates too big??? Should I go down half a size or is this really all personal preference?

x.staygold.x
01-15-2009, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by sl888
BUMP!
When I take the insoles out and put my feet on that, there is about less than 1/2 inch from my longest toe and the end. My buddy said that my toes should be lightly brushed against the tip. So are my skates too big??? Should I go down half a size or is this really all personal preference?

They should brush the end, but really if you go skating casually, it's no big deal. If you play hockey on a regular basis...shell out the cash for excellent skates that fit.

I ended up spending $650 on a pair of Grafs and they are by far the best skates i've ever owned, after owning CCM, Bauer, Nike, and Mission skates...none of them can even compare...

And go somewhere that will custom fit them for you. They will size, heat and mold them for you...

sl888
01-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by x.staygold.x

They should brush the end, but really if you go skating casually, it's no big deal. If you play hockey on a regular basis...shell out the cash for excellent skates that fit.

I ended up spending $650 on a pair of Grafs and they are by far the best skates i've ever owned, after owning CCM, Bauer, Nike, and Mission skates...none of them can even compare...

And go somewhere that will custom fit them for you. They will size, heat and mold them for you...
Wow I'm really choked now. I spent a good amount of money on my skates only to find out now that they aren't the right fit