PDA

View Full Version : Architectural Technologies Students or Pevious Students...

/////AMG
01-31-2006, 06:11 AM
I just have a few questions for those who took Architectural Technologies or those who are taking it.
I know a few on here have done this course, including lam-boy too. Think it was him who was showing off his cool Sydney Opera House drawing a few years ago?

I’m assuming you took this course in SAIT or NAIT.
What were the 2 years like? Stressful, hard, time consuming? (I know dumb question)
Was the first year mostly hand drawing or computer based? How about the second?
And it's mostly AutoCAD they teach, right?
Any dedicated math/physic modules you had to take or anything related to those??
Did you also have to submit a portfolio when registering? This requirement looks new to me.
Ohh, how hard was it to find a job afterwards?

Umm think that’s about it. Feel free to add anything else. Thanks!

http://www.sait.ca/calendars/daycalendar/courses/aat.htm

88CRX
01-31-2006, 01:43 PM
I took the course at sait and did that drawing lol ;)

I’m assuming you took this course in SAIT or NAIT.
What were the 2 years like? Stressful, hard, time consuming? (I know dumb question)

Took it at SAIT. And the it starts off slow (even slower if you have any drafting experience) and it picks up from there. It hard, but not that hard. I did pretty good through high school and did fine at SAIT. Put in a decent effort and you'll be just fine. If you fail you didnt try/slow up to class or are just plain dumb.

Was the first year mostly hand drawing or computer based? How about the second?

First year all hand drafting w/ some basic Cad classes. However I think they've now changed this and are doing drafting in Cad in the first year. I'll check.... my brother is currently taking the program.

And it's mostly AutoCAD they teach, right?

AutoCAD is the only drafting program yes. No 3D fun stuff unfortunately.

Any dedicated math/physic modules you had to take or anything related to those??

There is one Structural class that we take.... I hate that shit and it was the only class i sorts struggled with.

Did you also have to submit a portfolio when registering? This requirement looks new to me.

They've changed this... there are a couple assignment I had to do to get it but they've changed it since then. As long as you do ALL the requirements you should be fine. They only want people that know 100% this is what they want to do.

Ohh, how hard was it to find a job afterwards?

Easy. They set up a work week in the last couple months of your time there and maybe 50% of people get a job offer out of that. If you dont oh well. Every firm here in Calgary is hiring basicly all the time. Every graduate that i knew/know got a job with even a half assed resume/portfolio.

Now ask me how much I love my job :banghead: :D

ApexDrift
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
i know at sait that they're changing the cource a bit... they're now focusing on a lot of autocad drawings, you would still need to do manual drafting, just not as much

RawB8figure
01-31-2006, 01:58 PM
How much money is there in this type of work.
Just curious

Thanks

/////AMG
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I took the course at sait and did that drawing lol ;)

Now ask me how much I love my job :banghead: :D

My bad. I thought it was from an active member, I just forgot. Is it still framed??

Come on you must love your job!?
During high school I took design (AutoCAD, Arhcitectural Desktop) and thats what I've wanted to do since. I love messing around in those programs. (except now, it's not just floor plans, its all the details with electrics, building reg, etc...)
I took Architecture, its not what I want. I want it to be more computer based (guess this uni is more hands on).

How hard is it to comply your building with plumbing, electris, builsing regulations? Or is it once you know them it's plain sailing?

Originally posted by ApexDrift
i know at sait that they're changing the cource a bit... they're now focusing on a lot of autocad drawings, you would still need to do manual drafting, just not as much

:thumbsup: Perfect, just want I'm looking for.

Originally posted by RawB8figure
Just curious

Thanks
http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/occinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetHTMLProfile&format=html&occPro_ID=71001541&SNT_ID=25

88CRX
01-31-2006, 08:19 PM
According to the 2005 Alberta Wage and Salary Survey, Albertans in the Architectural Technologists and Technicians occupational group working part-time or full-time earned from $20,000 to $78,400 a year. The average salary was $49,400 a year.

I'd say thats pretty accurate.... but stating would be more like $25k to $30k and once your in and showing your a good worker your salary starts to climb quick! 10-15% anual raises + bonus.

As for complying to electric/mech/landscape standards its all easy.... all our projects have separate consultants for all that "fun" stuff. So we have to understand how it all works together but we dont actually do it. And this is where the industry opens WIDE up. People are constantly changing jobs. Not just firms, but theres so much different job types that are there if you'd like.

And I dont hate my job, I'm just playin. Its buisy, very buisy.... sometime stressful. And sometime I wish Sait would have done a better job preparing us for the stress. You'll learn more in a week in the working world then at sait in 2 years.

If you have anymore question post away!

And ya, that drawing is still framed lol....

/////AMG
02-01-2006, 04:05 AM
Nice, thanks for all the info man! :thumbsup:

I now I have more questions but I can't remember. I'll bug you with questions later on. :D

frozenrice
02-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Graduated from that program in 91 at SAIT. Looks like a few things have changed. From my experience, if you take the 2nd year option (if they still have it), BDT (Building Development Technologies). I think you'll have better options getting out of SAIT work wise. Estimators are in very short supply these days and I mean VERY short.
I did the AT option in the second year and ended up getting a job with a builder right out of SAIT. Unfortunately at the time it was with a builder and they paid SHIT for someone straight out of school. Let's put it this way- I could have gotten a better paying job at some retail stores. The only way to make decent money on the design/draft side is if you're really good/talented. In the end, I got very fortunate and switched over to estimating, which opened up a lot of doors and better pay.

andres_mt
02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
hey one of my really good friends is thinking about taking that course, do you think for those of you who have taken it or are taking it could tell me in short what the pro's and con's are of that program???

/////AMG
02-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Few more question I thought of during one of my classes.

Was/is it usually 8 hours days, 5 days a week?
AutoCAD: Do they basically teach you from the very basics and build your way up?

When drafting, you do by scale. But do/did you have to make models and was that to scale too?
And did you have to have a lot of detail on the models?
We had to make models and actually decorate it here (hardwood, wallpaper/paint, steps, railing, window frame/sill, everything - just for added marks).

88CRX, what did you hate about the course? And what did you love?

Oh main question: Do you have to present your work/have a crit? Like did you have projects where you made a building and had to present it as if you are presenting it to the client?
Is there a final exams or project (ex. as above)?

Sorry for some dumb questions. I'm just trying to get a feel of how they teach, because the last thing I would want to do is drop it or switch to another course (I've had enough of doing that).

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Lex350
02-07-2006, 12:01 PM
We are still looking for Arch Techs. We pay betwwen 35k and 55k depending on experience. We also offer profit sharing, RRSP matching and a solid benifits program and pay OT.

The company also will pay for extra training if it matches both the company's and employee's needs.

The company is in the Contract Furniture Business including movable walls and technology flooring. If you are interested of know of anybody who is, please PM me.

Lex350
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by /////AMG
Few more question I thought of during one of my classes.

AutoCAD: Do they basically teach you from the very basics and build your way up?

When drafting, you do by scale. But do/did you have to make models and was that to scale too?
We had to make models and actually decorate it here (hardwood, wallpaper/paint, steps, railing, window frame/sill, everything - just for added marks).

88CRX, what did you hate about the course? And what did you love?

Oh main question: Do you have to present your work/have a crit? Like did you have projects where you made a building and had to present it as if you are presenting it to the client?

Sorry for some dumb questions. I'm just trying to get a feel of how they teach, because the last thing I would want to do is drop it or switch to another course (I've had enough of doing that).

Thanks!:thumbsup:

The best way to "build yourself up" after taking the course is to take more courses on your own. Many people coming out of school stop learning at that point and think they are finished with it. Find a path within your field that you can specialize in...something that will make you stand out. Many people never do this and end up just being "the cad guy" and 10 years later they are no farthee ahead.

KEEP LEARNING

Lex350
02-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RawB8figure
Just curious

Thanks

The range can vary greatly depending on the field and what the economy is like when you graduate. Obviously, right now the market is hot and you can probably get between 30-40k right out of school. This can be determined by how well you interview as much as your skills.

If I was just starting out again, I would go interview with some companies that I really didn't want to work for just to get the interview experience.

AS far as how high you can go, that depends on how you improve yourself as you move along.

There are other programs you can learn to help increase your wage:

1) 3D studio
2) Pro Engineer
3) Maya
4) .....even web applications
5) Project Management - very hot area right now

I've picked up graphic skills (Photoshop) and rendering (Lightscape & 3D Studio) over time and have transitioned into more of a Marketing and Manager role. When you do this you salary can move towards a 6 figure range.

All from learning cad to start.

Ntense_SpecV
02-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Yeah it's 5 days a week. At least on Friday's first year we only had a autocad lab which I skipped every week from being too hung over from cowboy's every thursday night. Most of the time it's like every other course. 8am - 4ish. With some breaks in between. If you don't like your schedule you can always try to switch - but this is usually difficult.

Yes....but it's a good idea to know how to work a little bit with simple line drawings...There were a lot of people that had never touched autocad.

Yes we had to make actual paper models...to scale. They teach you how to make transparency window's and paper window mullions...ect. The more detail you put in the better your marks can be - it also really depends on your actual hands on abilities. If you cut paper like shit your mark will reflect that.

We had to make a wood bridge out of popsicle sticks - your grade for that class was something like 40% so spend some time doing it. I recommend vice grips and lots of time - do some simple serching on google for this as there are better ways then others on how to make a bridge. We ended up having the biggest weight to load ratio - woot 100% for me. But other people had just finished their's in the morning and glue that wasn't dried completely was really noticable when they put it under a pin point load.

We also had to do some 3d autocad modeling second year. We had to model a stair and cathedral...it's pretty step by step in class.

This is all mainly fluff...but it does help. You will run out of time for the house project. I ended up pulling an all nighter as I left mine a little late.

what did you hate about the course?

Cochraine Mobrey - he was a fucking asshole...hope he's still on mental leave. There is a lot of homework - be prepared to spend a lot of time on the computer drafting. A lot of people don't put in time and leave a lot of shit undone and their marks really reflected it.
I hated the fact that we had to listen to people in the industry present opinions and then prepare reports on them. Most people ranted and raved about their own experience which is great to understand how all aspects of architecture work, but when they try to tell you that you can work for Stantec in the Bahama's I draw the bullshit line right there.

And what did you love?

The people - seriously it was fun course and your classmates can only make it better - there is a lot of hands on stuff if you like model building. Surveying was a lot of fun as well...don't piss off the instructor - most of those guys don't have the patience for smart ass answers. If you like to draw and make models this is a good course. Don't forget though that their is some math and physics involved but it is somewhat simple if you did well in highschool.

Yup, part of this course is learning how to public speak and get a feel how to run a meeting (very basic) but you end up only having to present a few times during the year. Most of the time it's with a group project and everyone has to helpout. You get a really good feel over the first semester as to who works, who copy's off others, and who could care less about even being there.

Good Luck.

/////AMG
02-07-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
The best way to "build yourself up" after taking the course is to take more courses on your own. Many people coming out of school stop learning at that point and think they are finished with it. Find a path within your field that you can specialize in...something that will make you stand out. Many people never do this and end up just being "the cad guy" and 10 years later they are no farthee ahead.

KEEP LEARNING

:werd: I learned how to use AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop during high school, a few months later I couldn't remember anything!! :(

Can you give some examples that we people specialize in??
You can only move up after starting off as just a normal Arch Tech, right?
Will the companies actually teach you along the way so you can do more things (like you Marketing and Manager role)?

rotten42, who do you work for? If you don't mind me asking.

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV

This is all mainly fluff...but it does help. You will run out of time for the house project. I ended up pulling an all nighter as I left mine a little late.

Ahh bring back memories (not good ones). All nighters suck. How many house project were there?
There can't be many, because there so much more to do with the other modules.

what did you hate about the course?

Cochraine Mobrey - he was a fucking asshole...hope he's still on mental leave. There is a lot of homework - be prepared to spend a lot of time on the computer drafting. A lot of people don't put in time and leave a lot of shit undone and their marks really reflected it.
I hated the fact that we had to listen to people in the industry present opinions and then prepare reports on them. Most people ranted and raved about their own experience which is great to understand how all aspects of architecture work, but when they try to tell you that you can work for Stantec in the Bahama's I draw the bullshit line right there.

Stantec :thumbsup: Did work experience for them during high school. The just gave me a computer and let me play around on AutoCAD. It's ashame they didn't do anything else to show me how everything works and all that.

And what did you love?

The people - seriously it was fun course and your classmates can only make it better - there is a lot of hands on stuff if you like model building. Surveying was a lot of fun as well...don't piss off the instructor - most of those guys don't have the patience for smart ass answers. If you like to draw and make models this is a good course. Don't forget though that their is some math and physics involved but it is somewhat simple if you did well in highschool.

Good Luck.

Math & Physics, I absolutely hate with a passion. Is there just one module on math? And another on Physics?
I did OK in Physics and math, but it’s been 2 years and I have forgotten everything and anything about phyiscs and some math.

Thanks for all the answers and help so far guys. It’s really helping!!

Basically, I guess to sum it all up, is this the right path to go... for someone who just likes to draw up plans and is interested in architecture(the simple side lol)?

88CRX
02-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Basically, I guess to sum it all up, is this the right path to go... for someone who just likes to draw up plans and is interested in architecture(the simple side lol)?

Sure, but when you get out your NOT an architect and wont be doing much, if any, designing.

btw, what years did you guys graduate?

Lex350
02-07-2006, 01:54 PM

:werd: I learned how to use AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop during high school, a few months later I couldn't remember anything!! :(

Can you give some examples that we people specialize in??
You can only move up after starting off as just a normal Arch Tech, right?
Will the companies actually teach you along the way so you can do more things (like you Marketing and Manager role)?

rotten42, who do you work for? If you don't mind me asking.

Area's people specialize in:

Piping - oil and gas drafting
Architectural Firms - grunt work
Design firms
Home builders
Office furniture Industry
manufacturing
environmental design
large facilities management companies
vizualization and animation

There are many more areas. Some firms teach you some don't. I work for a Office furniture supplyer and I own my own Architectural Visualization company.

88CRX
02-07-2006, 01:58 PM

ugggg

Ntense_SpecV
02-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Area's people specialize in:

Piping - oil and gas drafting
Design firms
Home builders
Office furniture Industry
manufacturing
environmental design
large facilities management companies
vizualization and animation

There are many more areas. Some firms teach you some don't. I work for a Office furniture supplyer and I own my own Architectural Visualization company.

Sorry man, but Architectural Firms = grunt work? Unless you can't carry a conversation with someone you should be actually gaining experience the fastest with a firm. I graduated in 2001 and am currently an intermediate architectural tech. with tons of experience. I go on site, deal with clients, run meetings, and draw on the computer. Eventually I want to go managment but by that time I will be way into a 6 figure salary. Personally you won't do half of that at other areas mentioned. I am currently in talk with an Oil and Gas firm but even then I would have to go back to school and take piping design and some other simple courses. Personally I wouldn't say that someone in a homebuilder makes what I make. I can't guarantee that they don't make what I make, but I know for a fact that I never would be making this much if I had worked for anything but a firm.

Lex350
02-07-2006, 02:12 PM

Sorry man, but Architectural Firms = grunt work? Unless you can't carry a conversation with someone you should be actually gaining experience the fastest with a firm. I graduated in 2001 and am currently an intermediate architectural tech. with tons of experience. I go on site, deal with clients, run meetings, and draw on the computer. Eventually I want to go managment but by that time I will be way into a 6 figure salary. Personally you won't do half of that at other areas mentioned. I am currently in talk with an Oil and Gas firm but even then I would have to go back to school and take piping design and some other simple courses. Personally I wouldn't say that someone in a homebuilder makes what I make. I can't guarantee that they don't make what I make, but I know for a fact that I never would be making this much if I had worked for anything but a firm.

Are you done raving on your soap box? Let me clarify. When you first graduate from school and go to work at a large architectural firm you will be doing the grunt work...as in working drawings, revisions, blueprinting and other necessary chores but which can become tiresome in a hurry. It’s called paying your dues.

As far as doing the other stuff, that all depends on the person and the company. There are opportunities to run projects, meet clients and even travel.....just because ass-hat above hasn’t experienced them it doesn't mean it doesn’t happen.

THE JOB YOU TAKE IS PRIMARILY WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

Ntense_SpecV
02-07-2006, 02:20 PM

Are you done raving on your soap box? Let me clarify. When you first graduate from school and go to work at a large architectural firm you will be doing the grunt work...as in working drawings, revisions, blueprinting and other necessary chores but which can become tiresome in a hurry. It’s called paying your dues.

As far as doing the other stuff, that all depends on the person and the company. There are opportunities to run projects, meet clients and even travel.....just because ass-hat above hasn’t experienced them it doesn't mean it doesn’t happen.

THE JOB YOU TAKE IS PRIMARILY WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT.

Raving on my soap box huh? Wow aren't you ignorant. It wouldn't fucking matter who you go work for right out of school...you will be doing shit work no matter what. Oh and just so you know - they don't do 'bluprinting' anymore...it's all bond or trans bond.

/////AMG
02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
sure, but when you get out your NOT an architect and wont be doing much, if any, designing.

btw, what years did you guys graduate?

Yea I know that. Its basically producing what the client want, right?

Ntense_SpecV
02-07-2006, 02:25 PM

Yea I know that. Its basically producing what the client want, right?

No. What he means is that tech's. don't design. Architects and interns design. If you want to draw non-usable pretty pictures with sky-hooks holding up glazing in the middle of nowhere....by all means, go design something. Usually a tech. will redraw it so that details and things will work. Not that designers don't think about little details, but it's more space planning and the 'look' more then anything.

Lex350
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM

Raving on my soap box huh? Wow aren't you ignorant. It wouldn't fucking matter who you go work for right out of school...you will be doing shit work no matter what. Oh and just so you know - they don't do 'bluprinting' anymore...it's all bond or trans bond.

Just so you know...many firms still blue-print. We get them all the time.

There are different levels of shit, and most of the large architectural firms heap it on thick. In some of the specialized smaller firms there is usually a better opportunity to learn more...quicker because they don't have the luxary of a pool of Techs.

I've been in the industry for 15 years in a variety of different firms. I have a very clear idea of what goes on.

Ntense_SpecV
02-07-2006, 02:36 PM

Just so you know...many firms still blue-print. We get them all the time.

There are different levels of shit, and most of the large architectural firms heap it on thick. In some of the specialized smaller firms there is usually a better opportunity to learn more...quicker because they don't have the luxary of a pool of Techs.

I've been in the industry for 15 years in a variety of different firms. I have a very clear idea of what goes on.

Now that's a much better answer then the bs you spewed above. Personally like you said it's more about what you make of it yourself but it's not like I get the bottom of the barrel and go home thinking about commiting suicide because I'm not corporate level yet with my own tech. dept. Really, you have a somewhat jaded view of what a non-management person will do during the day.

Lex350
02-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Now that's a much better answer then the bs you spewed above. Personally like you said it's more about what you make of it yourself but it's not like I get the bottom of the barrel and go home thinking about commiting suicide because I'm not corporate level yet with my own tech. dept. Really, you have a somewhat jaded view of what a non-management person will do during the day.

...based on my observations of two very large architectrual firms in town. They eat their young. I also compare the career status of people who have moved around once or twice to the people that stayed and they are further behind in skills and pay. Granted there are many other factors but it takes much more effort to move up the ladder at a large firm than it does at a medium size firm. Some people do well...others get lost in the machine.

88CRX
02-07-2006, 07:38 PM

...based on my observations of two very large architectrual firms in town. They eat their young. I also compare the career status of people who have moved around once or twice to the people that stayed and they are further behind in skills and pay. Granted there are many other factors but it takes much more effort to move up the ladder at a large firm than it does at a medium size firm. Some people do well...others get lost in the machine.

Not all firms are like Gibbs-Gage and Abogov-Kaspar.

What firms do you guys work at or have worked at? And when did you graduate?

izzoblitzo
02-07-2006, 07:54 PM
When you first come out, and hang on with a architectural firm, you'll definatley be doing all the grunt work.

Obviously, it'll depend on the nature of the firm, the size of the firm, and the type of work they do.. Certain firms (most larger ones) will have certain people doing certain things, and because you're the newb, you'll get whatever is tedius.. and wont be doing much designing at all.. you just do what you're told to do.

If you get on with a smaller company, you'll still do the bottom feeder chores, but probably do more drafting to cover the lack of workforce resources. Probably a little bit more freedom in terms of design if you get to work with your lead architect (usually the owner)...

In time, it'll pay off, and probably pay very well too.. but most people will move on to bigger firms eventually.

For my practicum, I worked with a small architect firm, and watched the workers work like dogs and Im sure the guys got lots of experience doing mostly everything.. and most of the time, they get to help design stuff just to make it "work". When I finally made it out, and worked for a condo developer, eventhough we were a small company, I got to do a majority of the design work.. just working with concept drawings from my boss.. and I was able to co-ordinate with the architect company we partnered with.. Those guys had it easier, as they were only assigned to certain projects within the main project (ie. draft floorplans for a certain floor, design the mechanical systems etc etc.)

I had to get away from the whole "sitting in front of a computer" thing.. my eyes were bleeding on the inside!!! There were days when I came home, and just couldnt look at a screen!

Hash_man
02-07-2006, 08:02 PM
This is a really good thread some of this stuff is good to know.

I am currently waiting for the selection process to really start for fall intake. "Fingers crossed" I hope I get in.

izzoblitzo
02-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Shouldnt be worried too much.. just as long as you have somewhat decent grades (the ones they require.. cant remember which ones) and to hand in that portfolio project they ask for.. you should get in fine.

When I applied, I didnt even really try.. I got in, and only to realize that alot of my classmates had awesome drawings.

At the same time, there were some really REALLY shodding students that got in somehow.. you wonder how they got in.. and they didnt even end up finishing the course.

they had three classes... and it turned into two and a half classes by the time it was over really.. minus all the dropouts.

two AT classes and one ET or BT class... something like that.

Just watch out for a guy named Ken Head, and Cochrane Mobray.... those guys will mark you hard, and if you get on their bad side.. you're in trouble.

our whole graduating class of AT's tried to get Cochrane disiplined (fired) in the last semester.. people went to the head dean or whatever.

Make sure you hand in your assignments and show up for class... you can fall behind, and fast.. it helps if you can find a buddy that has Autocad, so you can do most of the drafting from home.. dont trust the computers there, save often! You will be buying alot of supplies, foamcore and whatnot.. Probably wont need to buy those watercolor markers.. you can loan some of those out.

And make sure you apply at ALL Architects, Developers, Home Builders, Design & Engineer firms when you finish.. you'll have a way better selection.

My buddy told me DaVinci homes has a high turnover rate, because they pay and treat you like garbage.. I think he started as an AT drafting homes.. and got something like 12 or 14 an hour.. and he wasnt even a bad drafter.

frozenrice
02-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Cochraine Mobrey - he was a fucking asshole...hope he's still on mental leave.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
His reputation didn't improve much I see. His first year teaching was during our second year. I've heard numerous stories about him. My favourite was someone commenting on his likeness to Spock because of the turtle neck shirts he used to wear.

I'm wondering - are Henry Wilson and Lorne Dalrymple still there? There were two of the best.

izzoblitzo
02-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I have friends working with Gibbs Gage and Cohos Evamy.. the pay is okay... not GREAT, but okay.. They actually got the job after being sent there for the practicum... But unfortunately, they started somewhere in the 25-30 range.. with some benefits.

Some people went on to work for design companies.. such as kitchen designers and whatnot.. they aparently use software simular to autocad, and you just design kitchens!

There are the fortunate, that end up in good firms, and get to places, and then there are the people that couldnt find a place, and end up doing construction related stuff Im sure.. it's all about timing, and WHO you know... establishing good connections with the industry will get you places... talk to the instructors, job bulletins at Sait, and last but not least, people on beyond!

88CRX
02-07-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
His reputation didn't improve much I see. His first year teaching was during our second year. I've heard numerous stories about him. My favourite was someone commenting on his likeness to Spock because of the turtle neck shirts he used to wear.

I'm wondering - are Henry Wilson and Lorne Dalrymple still there? There were two of the best.

Henry had a heart attack and FINALLY was forced to retire. He was by far one of the nicest teachers ever :thumbsup:

And dont get me started on Cock-ring

Lex350
02-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by izzoblitzo
I have friends working with Gibbs Gage and Cohos Evamy.. the pay is okay... not GREAT, but okay.. They actually got the job after being sent there for the practicum... But unfortunately, they started somewhere in the 25-30 range.. with some benefits.

Some people went on to work for design companies.. such as kitchen designers and whatnot.. they aparently use software simular to autocad, and you just design kitchens!

There are the fortunate, that end up in good firms, and get to places, and then there are the people that couldnt find a place, and end up doing construction related stuff Im sure.. it's all about timing, and WHO you know... establishing good connections with the industry will get you places... talk to the instructors, job bulletins at Sait, and last but not least, people on beyond!

Well I went to furniture route. I've worked with Herman Miller, Kmoll, Haworth and Smed. The cool thing is I've had the opportunity to learn all sorts of software:

AutoCad
Lightscape
Sketch-up
Photohop
Canvas - (CET designer)
VR Worx
...to name a few.

I really think that no matter what way you take you have to find a way to make yourself different from all the others and demonstrate that you won't be happy just doing the same old thing day in and day out.

I've done from doing cad 8 hours a day to developing propsals for tenders, developing marketing business plans and doing renders and visualizations.

Probably the best advice I could give anyone is to learn a new program every year. You don't need to master it, but learn eveough to be dangerous. It sure helps when you are up for review to show them that you've taken control of your career.

RawB8figure
07-01-2006, 11:52 AM

/////AMG
07-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Sorry to bump this once again but I got a few more questions.

Do they only teach Alberta/Canada building regulations?

And for you guys who now work, if I got a degree/diploma from the UK as an Architectural Technologist, would they accept me straight away or would I have to go and learn how things are done in Canada (don't know if there would be much difference) before I get a job?

Thanks. :)

Lex350
08-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Sorry to bump this once again but I got a few more questions.

Do they only teach Alberta/Canada building regulations?

And for you guys who now work, if I got a degree/diploma from the UK as an Architectural Technologist, would they accept me straight away or would I have to go and learn how things are done in Canada (don't know if there would be much difference) before I get a job?

Thanks. :)

with the market being what it is these days, I don't think it would matter if you studied code in Bora-Bora so long as you know your way around a cad machine.

If you want to see where this field can lead you, check out this forum.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/

/////AMG
08-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks rotten, you've been a big help too.:thumbsup:

Lex350
08-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Not a problem. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

silva27
04-06-2007, 02:34 AM

If you want to see where this field can lead you, check out this forum.

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/ [/B]

Is there any sites like that in Vancouver, bc? Thanks

ringer
09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
hey sorry to bump this thread
but I was wondering if anyone knew what the best school was to
apply to after finishing the Arch Tech at SAIT if someone wanted
to go further?

Dumbass17
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
not to be rude
but there were 3 ppl in my civil engineering class who tried architectural and hated it
one guy worked for a year doing it afterschool and came back to do civil
said it was hard to find work and boring
just sharing, don't blame the messenger

Merritt
10-16-2011, 11:51 PM
Would like to see more input on this, bumped.

adidas
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Merritt
Would like to see more input on this, bumped.

What info do u need?