PDA

View Full Version : speakers/cross over?

That.Guy.S30
03-08-2003, 09:17 PM
im still clueless about how much of a difference crossovers can make. i know they seperate frequencies but how much will it really help?
i was planning to buy 4 speakers. 2 with crossover overs in the front and 2 in the back without. do i even need crossovers?
thanks

theken
03-08-2003, 10:50 PM
depends on the type of speakers, are they coax or component, with components, u have tweeters so u will only want sound going to the tweets of a certain frequency. just like to a sub you don't want voice coming through your sub :thumbsdow
it all depends though, i ran with no crossover, and it is fine. just cleaner i guess :thumbsup:

D'z Nutz
03-08-2003, 11:15 PM
It's all about how you want your audio system's imaging to sound (imaging = the way it sounds, not the way it looks!). You want your highs high, and your lows low. If you're just having two speakers in the front, there's probably no point in getting crossovers, since all the front sound's going to be coming from those 2 speakers. It would sound kinda weird having either just low frequencies or just high frequencies being played (sort of unbalanced). However, if you're getting components, you'd definitely want to use crossovers so separate the highs and lows (and in some cases, midrange/midbass)

That.Guy.S30
03-09-2003, 12:10 AM
they are component systems..

That.Guy.S30
03-09-2003, 12:12 AM
uh yea.. i have a subaru ts wagon and i want to upgrade the speakers.. i was thinkin the components up front and just cooax in the back since they are not important. i was just wondering what that would do to the sound in the car?

jaylo
03-10-2003, 07:27 PM
If you want a nice sound coming out from your front/back speakers, make sure you get a reputable one like MB Quart. I guess a lot of people are very picky about sounds, that's where the crossover helps. Some crossovers have a lot of freq. to choose from and some are just basic w/ 2 or 3 to choose from. Yeah if you want a nice sound you have to buy an expensive one, gotta pay to play.

That.Guy.S30
03-10-2003, 07:28 PM
im gettin infinity kappas

Mckenzie
03-12-2003, 09:06 AM
I chose between the Infinities and the Alpine Type R line, and went with the Alpines. They sound amazing. I went with the 6.5 comps in the front, and the 6x9 coax in the rear. What I found weird about the 6x9s was that they had an external crossover that you had to hook up. I have nver seen that before on a pair of 6x9s.