PDA

View Full Version : Current Condition of Cancun

RickDaTuner
01-31-2006, 05:40 PM
so i just spent a week down on the 7 and wanted to comment and hear other people comments on how things are down there

well first of as those of you who have been down there as of recent know, there are no beaches, which IMO is really one of the bigger reason why i first wanted to go to Cancun. the locals say that it will be a year before the get them back, Wilma unfortunately blew all the sand away leaving nothing but crashing waves on retaining walls

nothing is open! most hotels are closed, completely damaged, some were even torn down and are now being rebuilt, most restaurants are also closed, same with a few of the night clubs

other than that it looks fine, all things inland are basically unharmed, all the Mayan ruin sites are still intact, and Isla Mujeres looks untouched also.

all in all its pretty decent, given at least 3 more months and it will all be back in working order :thumbsup:

handsomebassman
01-31-2006, 05:45 PM
I stayed in cancun at the costa real, and just got back on january 8th. Our hotel had a little bit of damage, but nothing with regards to our room, the 5 restaraunts at the hotel, or most of the activities. Our beach was supposedly damaged, although since i had not seen it before, it was just dandy. Coco Bongo wasnt open, but regardless, the two weeks i spent down there were great. It was sad to see some of the damage, and hear some of the stories of peoples destoyed homes. But it was great, and the hurricane damage didnt do much to interfere with the fun i had.:thumbsup:

Kobe
01-31-2006, 05:53 PM
I was down In maya 2 weeks after the hurricanes... Didn't look 2 bad.. but the hotels looked pretty ruined.. never walked the beaches tho...

s--dime
02-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Im going to be about an hour south of Cancun near PDC staying at the brand new Grand palladium White sands this friday for 10 days and it just opened in december, and the resort looks amazing so not all of that area is damaged most pictures I have seen of anywhere on the Yucatan peninsula since mid january has been cleaned up to almost previous glory.

Kobe
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by s--dime
Im going to be about an hour south of Cancun near PDC staying at the brand new Grand palladium White sands this friday for 10 days and it just opened in december, and the resort looks amazing so not all of that area is damaged most pictures I have seen of anywhere on the Yucatan peninsula since mid january has been cleaned up to almost previous glory.

you wont have anything to worry about Im sure.. Playa De Carmen was fine when we went down there....
Im sure the min damage that was there has been fixed..

colinderksen
02-18-2006, 02:46 PM
I just got back from the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum (1.5 hours south of Cancun on Mayan)last night. Beaches were fairly good but had some big rocks. Rest of the resort looked fine.
On a sidenote I would not recomend this Resort, it has horrible service and teh night shows are complete shit. But I would recommend my last resort down on teh Mayan, The Iberostar Paraiso Maya. Excellent.

v8killah
02-19-2006, 02:30 PM
I leave for Cancun tommorow morning, ill update you guys with pics when i get back.

bacchus
02-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Its business as usual in the Mayan

Kobe
02-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by bacchus
Its business as usual in the Mayan

Anyone here what happened in Mayan not to long ago..

Mom was saying a couple went for a wedding and got there necks cut off inside the hotel...

I forget which hotel..

bacchus
02-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Mexican Authorities say it was a professional hit, I heard that on the news

Pee_Sack
02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
^^I heard they arrested family members as suspects because they tried to flee the country right after it happened

sputnik
02-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

Anyone here what happened in Mayan not to long ago..

Mom was saying a couple went for a wedding and got there necks cut off inside the hotel...

I forget which hotel..

Barcelo Maya Beach Resort

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060223.wmexi0223/BNStory/International/home

Kobe
02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Barcelo Maya Beach Resort

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060223.wmexi0223/BNStory/International/home

Thanks, ya thats nuts... Mom booked some people to that hotel about 2 weeks before that happened...

s--dime
02-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah The hotel I was at this last week was right next door to the Barcelo Maya rumours are flying about exactly what went down with that shit.

01RedDX
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM

ProjectR
06-16-2006, 08:43 AM
Planning to go back late August...hopefully everything will be restored to the way it was :thumbsup:

kaput
07-03-2006, 04:05 PM

bspot
07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Stayed at the Barcelo Maya a couple months ago, everything was 100%. The beach was amazing.

The forest around the area was still a bit battered, and cancun was still rebuilding. Playa del Carmen seemed 100% as well.

CdnSilverStreak
07-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Just got back Sunday morning, Cancun is rebuilding, but most of the Mayan Riviera is business as usual. Pretty much the only thing you will notice are upended trees everywhere still, construction on Hwy 307 (they are paving for a divided highway South of Playa del Carmen to Tulum) and some new hotels popping up...

I stayed at the Riu Yucatan in Playa del Carmen, and it was an awesome week, great beaches, lots of sun, lots of drinking... :)