PDA

View Full Version : HID Imitation Bulbs

CIVIC_MAN
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM
What are some decent bulbs that have the look of an HID and are much brighter than stock?

GTS Jeff
01-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Basically, they don't exist. But seriously, leave your car alone man!!

?????
01-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Read the quote in your sig.

CIVIC_MAN
01-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by ?????

haha screw off...im just askin if ppl know of another brand other than PIAA

SorrGwa
01-31-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by CIVIC_MAN

haha screw off...im just askin if ppl know of another brand other than PIAA

piaa is probably the only brand that will last more than a few months. they also have several different bulbs all ranging across the "color" from their super whites, up to their HID look alikes.

however, most wont give the same light output as HIDs.

WBB6
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
DO NOT install headlight bulbs that run higher wattage then your factory ones, they will burn your wiring harness!

Your best bet are the PIAA Bulbs that run factory wattage but have "double" the output efficiency...

Also, PIAA Bulbs come with a full 1 year warranty when purchased from an authorized PIAA Dealer :thumbsup:

email us if you have any questions!

Bobby.

EG_Civic
01-31-2006, 10:54 PM
dont get fake ones.. there gona blow like every month .. like me i went through like 5 pairs.. then i decided to buy a hid kit much more worth it

CIVIC_MAN
01-31-2006, 11:02 PM
how much did your HID's cost you?

EG_Civic
02-01-2006, 09:26 AM
$400 for the kit.. but im pretty sure u can get it cheaper

riced
02-01-2006, 09:27 AM
HID's will cost you like $400.
and SUPPOSEDLY the Sylvania Silverstars are the imitation of HID's
it even says so on the box lol
but i have them right now, and they seem the same to me... maybe a little whiter than normal ones but no big difference thats worth the money
headlights that say they will look like HID's are not worth it for the price
just go get real HIDs at 4300K

rc2002
02-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Yup Sylvania Silverstars are good. You can get them for like $25 at Crappy Tire too. Search Bart's thread - he actually has pictures of the difference between the Silverstar's and stock.

nadroj23
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
hey i got Mtec ones from custom auto and they are 4350k for regular halogen blubs.

nadroj23
02-01-2006, 10:42 AM
i think they are around $50 too

EG_Civic
02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
silver sucked for my car.. blew within 2 months.. and i didnt like the color too yellow not white.... i thought the ngk were way better immitation

stevieo
02-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by ?????

yeah dude hahaha, saving one ricer at a time....

so we can assume you're still in line right?

riced
02-01-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by nadroj23
hey i got Mtec ones from custom auto and they are 4350k for regular halogen blubs.

I got the Mtec ones for my other car to see how they were.. and they sorta suck. They are 4350K and theres like hardly any light at all lol what a waste of money. Sylvania Silverstars are in no comparison to HID's at all IMO.
But seriously if you think about it, PIAA's and Silverstars last about 2 - 4 months if not longer... and you'll be spending a good 50 - 100$ so why not save up for HID's which will probably last longer than your car (from what i've heard)

FatboyTheHungry
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I've had the Silverstars in my fogs on my bimmer for a year, an no problems. It is whiter than stock and a closer (but not perfect) match to my factory Xenon's.

I got Helios H4 HID in my EK, and I couldn't be happier with it :D

Police
02-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by EG_Civic
dont get fake ones.. there gona blow like every month .. like me i went through like 5 pairs.. then i decided to buy a hid kit much more worth it

holy mother of glare with your HIDs...:eek:

If anyone is deciding to get an hid "kit" you better be retrofitting or you'll glare the shit out of oncoming traffic, that makes you uncool no matter how blue your lights are. :thumbsdow :rofl:

DC2
02-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by riced
HID's will cost you like $400.
and SUPPOSEDLY the Sylvania Silverstars are the imitation of HID's
it even says so on the box lol
but i have them right now, and they seem the same to me... maybe a little whiter than normal ones but no big difference thats worth the money
headlights that say they will look like HID's are not worth it for the price
just go get real HIDs at 4300K

you finally decided to go with the 4300K eh? haha

i have silverstars on my car since july one of them just blew. its good when its dry out but god damn when its wet its impossible to see anyting

V6-BoI
02-01-2006, 03:28 PM

Wow heh I thought I was the only one. I had Eurolights on my car before I got my HID's, and they blew every few months, but I kept on buying them thinking that the ones that I had before were just a set of defective pair. Then finally got HID's.

I was running a set of silver stars as well before I got my HID's. I found them to be pretty decent, get better lighting than the stock ones, but not too much of a difference.

CIVIC_MAN
02-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

yeah dude hahaha, saving one ricer at a time....

so we can assume you're still in line right?

yea cuz wanting brighter headlights is ricey:rolleyes:

EG STyLeZ
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
i've had these ricer bulbs since one month before autozeal closed down. they're one of the better ricer bulbs that i've seen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3760/img06021sk.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img06021sk.jpg)

EG_Civic
02-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Police

holy mother of glare with your HIDs...:eek:

If anyone is deciding to get an hid "kit" you better be retrofitting or you'll glare the shit out of oncoming traffic, that makes you uncool no matter how blue your lights are. :thumbsdow :rofl:

thats right.. but that only happens if the oncoming traffic is like 50 ft away from u.. cops dont care at all.. when your class up to my car... it will look white. not blue

CIVIC_MAN
02-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ
i've had these ricer bulbs since one month before autozeal closed down. they're one of the better ricer bulbs that i've seen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3760/img06021sk.th.jpg (http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img06021sk.jpg)

congratulations on your ricer bulbs haha:D

riced
02-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by DC2

you finally decided to go with the 4300K eh? haha

haha no, but he said he didnt like blue, just white with blue.
im still getting 6000k though lol no matter what anyone thinks hahaha

question though... is retrofitting and giving the proper cutoff the same thing? and would installation from say speedtech or whatever do it for you? or cost extra?

Police
02-01-2006, 11:20 PM

question though... is retrofitting and giving the proper cutoff the same thing? and would installation from say speedtech or whatever do it for you? or cost extra?

Installing a KIT isn't retrofit and what does speedtech charge? $100 for an install of a plug and play unit LMAO.

To answer your question its yes and no, all lights(head) are suppose to have cut off except for maybe foglights or other aux lights.

Police
02-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by EG STyLeZ

Has anyone ever wonder why they perform better???not all because it draws more current and runs hotter but NO RICER BLUE tint OMG OMG OMG:bigpimp:

riced
02-01-2006, 11:47 PM

Installing a KIT isn't retrofit and what does speedtech charge? $100 for an install of a plug and play unit LMAO.

To answer your question its yes and no, all lights(head) are suppose to have cut off except for maybe foglights or other aux lights.

so, basically the install that they do will give me the cutoff?
cause thats what i want hahaha

93hustler
02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
I've been running Sylvanis Silverstars in my wife's SUV for 2.5 years no problems. I've been running Eurolite bulbs in my truck for 8 months no problem. Neither look like HID but are brighter than stock and inexpensive.

Police
02-02-2006, 12:20 AM

no not really your stock headlights has cutoff already but its not clean or sharp at all, only very few new style(forget term) halogen reflector housings have pretty decent and clean cut offs...Now with proper cutoff via a PROJECTOR there won't be glare and your cutoff is CLEAN and SHARP.

I would highly recomend getting projectors.

CIVIC_MAN
02-02-2006, 12:34 AM
if you buy and HID kit from speedtech and you do the install, you void the warranty

Goblin
02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by SorrGwa

however, most wont give the same light output as HIDs.

what are you talking about they never will

EG_Civic
02-02-2006, 08:20 AM

dont go with 6000k.. get 4300k u will get more light on to the road

riced
02-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm kind of confused now..
so, what Police said was that the new halogen stock housings would give a proper cutoff to HID bulbs?
but I'm better off to get a projector right?
is the projector the whole new headlight casing... and how much are those?

and yeah I know speedtech has a 1 year warranty if they install... is there any other place that does it? for cheaper maybe?

?????
02-02-2006, 10:09 AM
You either have reflector housings, halogen projectors, or HID projectors(which you don't have if your interested in a hid kit).

What a "hid kit" speedtech or any other place would be a direct plug and play into your current reflector housing or halogen projectors.

What most people here are recommending is that you retrofit(taking a HID projector and chopping your current halogen housing up and make the HID projector fit in) and go with OEM HID equipment with 4100k-4300k bulbs.

Remember most HID projectors will give you a blue/purple flicker from the cutoff reguardless of the color of the bulb you put in. Thats why we recommend you retrofit as you get both the color you want plus the most visible light from your bulbs.

civicsi403
02-02-2006, 01:33 PM

so, what Police said was that the new halogen stock housings would give a proper cutoff to HID bulbs?

and yeah I know speedtech has a 1 year warranty if they install... is there any other place that does it? for cheaper maybe?

WOAH :hijack:

civicrider
02-02-2006, 01:53 PM
im using night hawks and they work good

dragonone
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
polarg
but seriously hids

Police
02-02-2006, 11:43 PM

ok lets get this straight some newer style halogen housings give a cleaner cutoff then the old style lights with ripple lenses. This does NOT mean you're getting the "proper" cutoff for hid purposes.

I guess what i'm trying to say is your corolla + hid kit would suck...:)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d120/sfakhar/Bixenon12hellaBixenonproj.jpg

As for what ????? is saying that ^ is A projector that you would fit into the headlight housing to do a "retrofit".

Why don't you go check out some hid forums at:
http://www.hidplanet.com

Ohh also for anyone reading this and wants to put an HID kit in your RSX please kill yourself, they by far have the WORSE glare evar might as well drive with your high beams on too. I mean like does lightning up ALL the road sign and every side/rear view mirrors on other car not give you a pretty good indication that EXCESSIVE light is leaking out of your damn HALOGEN housing??? :thumbsdow: :dunno:

V6-BoI
02-02-2006, 11:50 PM

dont go with 6000k.. get 4300k u will get more light on to the road

I have 6000K in my car, and I can see quite a bit of the road

Police
02-02-2006, 11:52 PM
^ is your car silver?

EG_Civic
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

I have 6000K in my car, and I can see quite a bit of the road

with 4300k .. it will be more whiter on the road

heres a pic of mines. taken from my cell

V6-BoI
02-03-2006, 05:56 PM
^ is your car silver?

Yeah it is. Shiet, don't tell me I'm one of those bastards that's blinding people on the road. If that's the case I'm gonna aim them lower.

Billy
02-03-2006, 06:18 PM
^ yes you are one of those bastards V6 boi, haha.

Police
02-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

Yeah it is. Shiet, don't tell me I'm one of those bastards that's blinding people on the road. If that's the case I'm gonna aim them lower.

HAHA ya i thought it was you i notice all cars with HID's lol it wasn't so bad from your car actually i've seen way worse and i DID run just HID and stock light on my car for a week also :D :devil:

V6-BoI
02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Billy

Hey, HEY! You shut the hell up! Haha you have potential to be a bastard also!

HAHA ya i thought it was you i notice all cars with HID's lol it wasn't so bad from your car actually i've seen way worse and i DID run just HID and stock light on my car for a week also :D :devil:

Haha that's cool man. I might get projectors later, but not for a while. Guess I'll just have to lower my head lights for now

?????
02-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Billy

The worst is when their in an RSX with the stock reflector housings. Now those guys are bastards.

SorrGwa
02-04-2006, 09:43 AM
nothing is worse than HID's in the most current civic SIR hatch. the housing on that car is pretty huge, and so with hid's in there, the glare is pretty extreme.

Goblin
02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
The one thing I hate is when they stick HID's to be cool into there car.

Im not doing it until I get a projector