PDA

View Full Version : Kovalchuk caught for using illegal stick....again

ronaldo
02-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Kovalchuk must have felt even worse. The NHL's top goal scorer failed to hit the net for the fifth game in a row, watched Pominville score the tie-breaking goal, and he was penalized for an illegal stick with just under five minutes remaining, wiping out a potential Atlanta power play.

"We benched him and his stick at the same time," Ruff said. "Everybody on our bench saw it. You can't hide that."

Once Kovalchuk got out of the penalty box, he spent the rest of the game on the bench. Clearly, coach Bob Hartley was disgusted with his young star.

"It's a matter of showing respect to the entire team, the organization and the fans," Hartley said. "I hope he'll learn from this."

from tsn.ca

this tells you alot about him as a player...seing as this is the 2nd time hes been caught using an illegal stick

Kirbs17
02-01-2006, 01:19 AM
wow...... Fuck he doesnt learn. Good on hartley for benching him. I wonder if the league will step in

roopi
02-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Why would the league step in? :rofl:

This isn't that big of a deal. It happens quite a bit. It's a matter of knowing when to use the stick and when not to.

Kirbs17
02-01-2006, 01:33 AM
maybe because its a second offense, i dont know what their policy is

ronaldo
02-01-2006, 01:34 AM
i dont think the league will step in but this should defininately hurt his chances to beat out ovechkin or crosby for any awards

BerserkerCatSplat
02-01-2006, 01:43 AM
What was illegal about it? The curve?

3G
02-01-2006, 01:44 AM
whats an illegal stick :confused:

ronaldo
02-01-2006, 01:44 AM
too much curve

buh_buh
02-01-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by ronaldo
i dont think the league will step in but this should defininately hurt his chances to beat out ovechkin or crosby for any awards and what awards is he in the running for with Ovechkin and Crosby? The only awards Ovechkin and Crosby have a chance at this year that's a judged award is the Calder, which Kovalchuk can't win.

coolstoryhansel
02-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
and what awards is he in the running for with Ovechkin and Crosby? The only awards Ovechkin and Crosby have a chance at this year that's a judged award is the Calder, which Kovalchuk can't win.
he's competing for the art ross and maurice richard trophies

buh_buh
02-01-2006, 03:50 AM
like I said, judged award.
him getting caught with an illegal stick isn't going to hurt his art ross and maurice richard trophy chances.

tapout
02-01-2006, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
like I said, judged award.
him getting caught with an illegal stick isn't going to hurt his art ross and maurice richard trophy chances. :werd:

SOAB
02-01-2006, 10:13 AM
holy crap. some of you act like he was just caught using steroids for the second time :rofl:

dericer
02-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
holy crap. some of you act like he was just caught using steroids for the second time :rofl:

lol.

Does everyone forget Joey Mullen?

He was notorious for having illegal sticks.

stevieo
02-01-2006, 10:46 AM
haha this is retarded, you know how many other superstars in the NHL use illegal curves? i think its a retarded rule, if you wanna have a 50inch curve go for it.

asuth077
02-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Illegal sticks aren't a new phenomenon. A few years ago Kelly Rhudy on Hockey Night in Canada let it slip on how goalies use to get their illegal sticks into the game.

During warmup they bring out all their sticks and put them on the bench so that they ref can see them before the game. Then they bring out their "other stick" marked and use that one instead.

Samsanov was also caught in January along with Paul Mara with illegal sticks.

It is pretty bad when its the fourth time in your career though and your in a race for a scoring title.

But what is the solution? Can you suspend someone for something like that?

HuMz
02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
:werd: this isn't a big deal at all......prior to edmonton's last game mactavish got penalties in his favour 3 games in a row for pointing out an illegal stick each time....

It's alot more common come playoff race/time because the games/penalties/goals mean so much more

dericer
02-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Hrudy was also talking about how players used to trick other teams, but with the opposite tactics.

Some players would write "practise stick", or "illegal stick" on tape on their sticks and then use them in say, the third period.

Of course they weren't illegal, and the other team would get a penalty for delay of game when the refs measured it, and it was legal.

:rofl:

The reason stick curves can be illegal is any player could roof the puck from the crease too easily with a massive curve, making it damn near impossible to make saves close in.

SOAB
02-01-2006, 02:51 PM
my question is why the hell would you want anyone suspended because of an illegal stick? thats ludicrous...

go play ringette ya baby!!:nut:

lastprodigy
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
beyond angel police crew to the rescue.....no big deal at all....put a illegally curved stick in the hands of some dolt like donald brashear and its not like he would score anymore goals

tokes
02-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by stevieo
haha this is retarded, you know how many other superstars in the NHL use illegal curves? i think its a retarded rule, if you wanna have a 50inch curve go for it.

Not many, actually. The majority of NHL'ers use a clone or a curve very similar to the Easton Drury. Small heel curve, pretty open face, not much to it.

Originally posted by dericer
The reason stick curves can be illegal is any player could roof the puck from the crease too easily with a massive curve, making it damn near impossible to make saves close in.

The loft of a blade has nothing to do with a stick being illegal or not, it's just the depth of the curve they measure.

Here's a picture of Kovalchuk's main curve, it's a pretty big bannana to say the least.
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/9826/kovalchuk0et.jpg

bspot
02-01-2006, 04:15 PM
There is a reason this rule is gone from minor hockey.

Suspensions? Lol. Some of you are idiots.

The bigger the curve you have the harder time you have on the backhand and on stick handling. Crosby uses a very straight curve because he loves his backhand. A banana curve helps you in one way and hurts you in others.

All sticks should be legal.

dezmarez
02-01-2006, 04:38 PM
lol its just another penelty??
guys dont get suspended for taking 2 tripping penelties or anything haha
thats hilarious the thought of a suspension even crosses some peoples minds

mac_82
02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
for goalie sticks / equipment i can see it being a big deal, since goalie equipment is measured so much, and bigger equipment helps them stop the puck better. multiple offenders should get into trouble, fines, etc, but players sticks are a bit of a joke.

Mr_John
02-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

Originally posted by dericer

just because he used an illegal stick twice, doesnt mean he'll get suspended.
its like goaltender interference for the second time....

and the illegal stick rule is ridiculous
they want scoring to go UP. Give the advantage to the player. More goals = more entertainment right? Isnt that the NEW nhl??
so this rule needs to be tossed out and im betting that something about this rule will be done in the next couple seasons.

toyboy88
02-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bspot
There is a reason this rule is gone from minor hockey.

Suspensions? Lol. Some of you are idiots.

The bigger the curve you have the harder time you have on the backhand and on stick handling. Crosby uses a very straight curve because he loves his backhand. A banana curve helps you in one way and hurts you in others.

All sticks should be legal.

i agree..when i play i usually only like a very small rhd curve cuz a straight stick is wayyy easier to stickhand well and use my backhand :dunno:

miik0
02-01-2006, 08:55 PM
He's enhancing his game in a cheap way.
I think after getting caught twice, the NHL should intervene.
There's no doubt he's still scary good though.
Even if he went back to a regular stick, there wouldn't be a lot of change in his game. IMO.

googe
02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
a suspension isnt a bad idea at all. if players know that nothing will really happen when theyre caught, they arent worried about doing it. a rule with no consequences wont be respected.

its like the anti-doping rules. its important to keep the playing field level.

obviously it does affect his scoring ability, or he wouldnt bother doing it.

SOAB
02-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by googe
a suspension isnt a bad idea at all. if players know that nothing will really happen when theyre caught, they arent worried about doing it. a rule with no consequences wont be respected.

its like the anti-doping rules. its important to keep the playing field level.

obviously it does affect his scoring ability, or he wouldnt bother doing it.

well shit. why stop there? 2 hooking penalties? 1 game suspension. they know that it is against the rules but they do it anyway.

you guys are rediculous. :thumbsdow

dericer
02-02-2006, 10:28 AM

well shit. why stop there? 2 hooking penalties? 1 game suspension. they know that it is against the rules but they do it anyway.

Face it, it's a shitty rule, but it's a rule none the less.

You wilfully break it, you face the piper.

Why not argue goalie can have 10 foot wide pads?

Goalies have rules to limit their save ability, it seems fair that players have rules to limit their scoring ability.

SOAB
02-02-2006, 11:02 AM
and the penalty is 2 minutes in the box, and your team is short-handed. the only person that was hurt is the player that was caught.

ryder_23
02-02-2006, 12:31 PM
and the penalty is 2 minutes in the box, and your team is short-handed. the only person that was hurt is the player that was caught.

Or the team if they score against, or are trying to get the winning/tieing goal in last few minutes.

What was the goalie sticks illegal for? To thick in some points or something like that?

dericer
02-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Tell the Kings that after McSorley's penaly in the playoffs.

googe
02-02-2006, 08:45 PM

you really dont see the difference? you sound like a player that uses an illegal stick. put it this way, if someone were hooking for as long as people use illegal sticks (the whole game, multiple games) they probably would get a suspension.

SOAB
02-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by googe

you really dont see the difference? you sound like a player that uses an illegal stick. put it this way, if someone were hooking for as long as people use illegal sticks (the whole game, multiple games) they probably would get a suspension.

you guys are crazy!! you actually think the NHL will suspend someone for taking too many penalties??

broomball is just a step away....

Eken9
02-03-2006, 12:57 AM
This rule is stupid. Even some sticks that come from the manufacturer are "illegally" curved. The NHL needs to either enforce the rule to full extent or abolish the rule completely.

It doesn't make sense for players getting drafted from Europe to the NHL, as most if not all European players play with by the NHL standards, an "illegal" stick. How can you draft a player then tell them they can't play with their own equipment that they've grown into using?

It's a ridiculous "unwritten" rule that's not fully enforced and imo should be taken out of the book completely.