PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Boxter

max_boost
03-09-2003, 11:46 AM
Has anyone driven a Porsche Boxter before? Used Boxsters are relatively affordable with good power, non S models. 210hp/192llbs torque with the car only weighing in around 2800llbs!!

The styling is awesome, how are they for reliability in terms of maintenance?

Thanks
:D
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Porsche/11484/009374-E.jpg

GTS Jeff
03-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Has anyone driven a Porsche Boxter before? Used Boxsters are relatively affordable with good power, non S models. 210hp/192llbs torque with the car only weighing in around 2800llbs!!

The styling is awesome, how are they for reliability in terms of maintenance?

Thanks te base model boxster is sort of a bad deal. s2k whoops the base model and costs less.

and while i dont have personal experience with reliability, id assume that its not a very reliable car (cuz its euro) and that fixing it is super expensive (cuz its euro)

___2PaC___
03-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I wish...
But some people on Beyond prolly have.

max_boost
03-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
te base model boxster is sort of a bad deal. s2k whoops the base model and costs less.

Yes, the Boxter came in third place behind the SLK320 and S2000 in Edmunds Roadster test.

But a Porsche! Or is it just the name?:dunno:

ninjak84
03-09-2003, 11:52 AM
My Father was a mechanic at a Porsche dealorship in Europe.
He said the Boxster is stuffed with a bullet proof engine that shouldn't ever give major troubles.
Maintenance is expensive though, and so is insurance.

max_boost
03-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
My Father was a mechanic at a Porsche dealorship in Europe.
He said the Boxster is stuffed with a bullet proof engine that shouldn't ever give major troubles.
Maintenance is expensive though, and so is insurance.

I guess maintenance goes for all German cars!!
Insurance isn't too bad.....it pays to be older.....and have a clean record.....on paper that is! haha :D

rage2
03-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes, the Boxter came in third place behind the SLK320 and S2000 in Edmunds Roadster test.

But a Porsche! Or is it just the name?:dunno:

The name is meaningless unless u drive a 996 twin turbo or better. Even 996's (non turbos) are considered mediocre in many ppl's eyes. I mean, there's sedans that run with these overpriced suckers! But wtf are you doing buying a car for the name?

I drove my friend's stock Boxster and it was slightly faster in a straight line than my SLK 320 (it felt slower tho, and you had to work hard for the speed keeping revs up real high). Cornering was pretty nice, really great turn-in, but too much understeer (not enough power to slide ass out) on exit for me.

If you move to a 996 (next step up), you're paying a lot more money for not that much more car. Get the S2K man, way better deal than the Porsche's and MUCH better car!

Superesc
03-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Damnit MB, Give up on this EURO dream and come back to the world of Hondas and Nissans. :D

___2PaC___
03-09-2003, 12:14 PM
no keep your dream alive!!! lol

rage2
03-09-2003, 12:21 PM

Oh yea, I drove a updated 217hp model, the 2.5L 210hp models are even worse!

soloracer
03-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Rage: So are you saying the 993 twin turbo or 959 are meaninglesss? Cause I know I should would like one.... ;)

2000impreza
03-09-2003, 12:59 PM
dude... maintenance on the porsche alone is going to kill you..... unless you are after the higher roller bling bling status i say get a s2k and call it a day.

redec
03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Has anyone driven a Porsche Boxter before?

I've driven one.....they're decent fun.....but I wouldn't buy one

Hakkola
03-09-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by rage2

But wtf are you doing buying a car for the name?

:rofl: No kiddin, if you buy a boxter just for the Porsche name the jokes on you.

max_boost
03-09-2003, 01:51 PM
LOL No No I am not buying a car based on the name

Just when you hear the word Porsche, you generally associate that with sports car, fun to drive, exhilirating, prestige, expensive etc.

I just wanted to know if there was more to this car than just the name.....cause that is how it is for a lot of the prestige cars out there

Dope Dealer
03-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Insurance isn't too bad.....it pays to be older.....and have a clean record.....on paper that is! haha :D

Still can't believe that.... :banghead:

604Racing604
03-09-2003, 02:31 PM
If you want to buy a Porsche for 1/4 mile, 0-60 times don't buy it becuase you will be greatly disappointed.

Porsche's are not designed to be the quickest car but a very well balanced car. Take a Porsche on the track and compare it to a SLK320, S2K and that's where you will notice the fun and benefits of owning a Porsche.

A S2K is an excellent car but to have it beat a Porsche you are basically driving very close redline the entire time you drive that car. You shift bad once and you come almost to a stop compared to the other cars on the track. If you don't drive it in redline it's power band is like a Civic.

I owned a Boxster before, driven numerious 996, 993, and the original 911. and one thing I can say it's a Driver's car.. Everything was built around the driver. The shifter, pedel placement, steering, guages, seats, everything. When you drive it hard you feel like you are a part of the car and have total control.

Just my opinion...

Toms-Celica
03-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Max: You may wanna take a look at getting a Corvette Z06 for that price range, Im looking at one right now for:
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 2002
19000 Km.
$65,995.00
Just keep that in mind...

girlRACER
03-09-2003, 05:15 PM
I know that service for Porsches are really expensive. It costs $500 for a regular service on that car.

Chu
03-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
I know that service for Porsches are really expensive. It costs $500 for a regular service on that car.

It costs like $450 including gst to service the 996 and I think the boxster has the same service schedule. That $450 service is only done once a year or 24 000 km, so its still expensive but it isn't like you have to service the car like every 6000km and pay $450. Lastly the main cost for the service is the oil needed for the engine, for my car they use like $150 dollars of Mobil One when they do the oil change (part of the yearly service).

Ben
03-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER

I bet your SLK is big bucks too...its just still covered by warrenty. Most dealership servicing is expensive. A tuneup on my car at the dealership is about 400 bucks.

kenny
03-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I bet your SLK is big bucks too...its just still covered by warrenty. Most dealership servicing is expensive. A tuneup on my car at the dealership is about 400 bucks.

Service is not covered under warranty :) It is however included in the cost of the vehicle in the US. Regular maintenance is just shy of $200 iirc. Most of which is cost of oil.

mischief
03-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Service is not covered under warranty :) It is however included in the cost of the vehicle in the US. Regular maintenance is just shy of $200 iirc. Most of which is cost of oil.

The dealer rapes you on the price of oil (its like 8 bucks/litre). Its cheaper to buy it on sale at Canadian Tire (6 bucks/litre) and bring it with you.

2.2vtec
03-09-2003, 06:26 PM
i've driven a 97 automatic boxter before and lets' just say a my old automatick integra was way more fun to drive, let alone i can probably peel the tires in the integra before the boxter. I was very disappointed with the performance of the boxter. I know that u guys will say well it's an auto but i've driven automatic cl's and they feel alot better then the boxter. Overall not worth the money, your just paying for the name.

kenny
03-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by mischief

The dealer rapes you on the price of oil (its like 8 bucks/litre). Its cheaper to buy it on sale at Canadian Tire (6 bucks/litre) and bring it with you.

Fortunately, my oil changes aren't done at the dealership :)

girlRACER
03-09-2003, 06:41 PM

You were the one who told me I have to get it done at the dealership!

szw
03-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
i can probably peel the tires in the integra before the boxter

Thats because the boxter had better tires than the integra

Chu
03-09-2003, 06:54 PM
I think a boxster is a great car but I would probably buy a new S2000 over a used boxster. If you could find a boxster s for a good price than maybe the boxster.

Anyways I haven't seen many boxster up for sell yet? So low supply probably means high resale value.

I know a new boxster is probably too much but its 60,000 MRSP (boxsters you get around 5-7% off list price too) order one with no options except maybe 17inch/18 inch rims. That car will have amazing resell value. Probably can sell it for high 40's in a couple years or maybe higher.

SilverStreak
03-09-2003, 07:03 PM
If you're thinking Boxster, might as well get the Z4. The only Boxster to get is the Boxster S and that thing is way over priced. Get a 350Z or S2000 and save your self $25 000 from getting the Boxster S. You'll get spanked bad in a regular Boxster.

rage2
03-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 604Racing604
Porsche's are not designed to be the quickest car but a very well balanced car. Take a Porsche on the track and compare it to a SLK320, S2K and that's where you will notice the fun and benefits of owning a Porsche.

No way man, a base boxster is FAR from balanced. Way underpowered, lots of brakes, pretty good grip, but again, underpowered coming out of corners (==understeer). I have more fun in my SLK 320 at the track compared to a base Boxster. Can't comment on the Boxster S, never driven one of those on the track. As for the 996's (I've driven a C4), again, underpowered for the amount of grip/brakes that it has.

max_boost
03-09-2003, 08:55 PM
BMW's service is all paid for during the first 3 years.....free maintenance!

Is BMW the only dealer that offers something like this? Anyway, Euros are too rich for my blood anyway!

Chu
03-09-2003, 11:14 PM

No way man, a base boxster is FAR from balanced. Way underpowered, lots of brakes, pretty good grip, but again, underpowered coming out of corners (==understeer). I have more fun in my SLK 320 at the track compared to a base Boxster. Can't comment on the Boxster S, never driven one of those on the track. As for the 996's (I've driven a C4), again, underpowered for the amount of grip/brakes that it has.

A major complaint about porsche now is that is has too much grip and therefore their cars have lost some of their "fun" factor but the boxster (similar to the old 911's) is suppose to be quite a fun car to drive (never driven one though). For me I would rather have more grip than less grip just because I feel safer in my car.

Ben
03-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Chu

A major complaint about porsche now is that is has too much grip and therefore their cars have lost some of their "fun" factor but the boxster (similar to the old 911's) is suppose to be quite a fun car to drive (never driven one though). For me I would rather have more grip than less grip just because I feel safer in my car.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of grip as well, you can naver have too much grip when you are not looking to drift.

milesmcewing
03-09-2003, 11:22 PM
Rage,
I guess i'm going to have to take you for a ride, too much understeer and not enough power to pull oversteer out?
Bring your diapers, and I will borrow the oldest slow Boxster we can find!

I had an s2000 as well, great fun for a day. Really irritating to own. Ask Dave Ross about driving his to Salt Lake city, I think his ass is still numb.

To each his own, but we put the Honda and a Boxster on the hoist, the s2000 was very well designed, but looked very weak, the Boxster definitely had more of a tank-like build.

Fun factor? Borrow my superKart next year for a run. Third gear wheelies with my fat ass in the thing, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds 150mph top end, we are taking it to the Open Track run in the US next month (along with the Beetle).

Looking forward to a ride in your new car too!

Cheers
Miles

kenny
03-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Chu

Grip is good, but if you're lacking some serious power, what do you expect? Grip is pointless when its not being utilized. However, if you're someone that doesn't like to push the car to its limit and drive it like it was designed to be driven (ie. bought the car for the name, prestige, or whatever) then thats your choice of course!

An S2000 is a much better car for the money than the Boxster. The Boxster does have a much better "image" tho if all you want to do is look pretty and cruise around in the summer.

Seks
03-09-2003, 11:34 PM
I had an opportunity to race an acquaintance who has a base Boxster. Went from a slow roll, blew his doors off :) Went from a dead stop, I didn't launch, I just started normally from a stop then gun it. Of course he got ahead of me cuz he launched it but I was catching up to him quickly before we had to shut it down cuz some stupid car turned infront of us :(

Go get the s2000 :D

rage2
03-10-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Chu
A major complaint about porsche now is that is has too much grip and therefore their cars have lost some of their "fun" factor

You're mistaken my comment. I'm saying the car doesn't have enough power to make use of the grip that's available. I never said it had too much grip, just not enough power. Cornering in a Boxster vs SLK320, during mid corner, the grip level is pretty close. Because of the lack of power, shortly after the apex you can go full throttle and still not kick the tail out. Both cars are rather uneventful.

SLK32 vs 996C4, again grip is awful close mid corner. But the difference in the last example is that the SLK 32 has enough power to power out of the corner using all the tire's available grip, therefore if u floor it you're going to oversteer. Being able to control that power on exits is what makes life interesting :D.

rage2
03-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
Rage,
I guess i'm going to have to take you for a ride, too much understeer and not enough power to pull oversteer out?
Bring your diapers, and I will borrow the oldest slow Boxster we can find!

haha well if we're talking about doing crazy stuff, I can make a base Boxster side out every corner on the roadcourse by taking some interesting lines :D. What I meant by my post was that if you're trying to go fast (taking a classic line around the corners), you're going to run out of power shortly after the apex point (except turn 3 heh). BTW - it takes quite a bit to scare me... too bad u don't have a 2nd seat in the IRL car lol!

Fun factor? Borrow my superKart next year for a run. Third gear wheelies with my fat ass in the thing, 0-60 in 2.6 seconds 150mph top end, we are taking it to the Open Track run in the US next month (along with the Beetle).

Looking forward to a ride in your new car too!

Cheers
Miles

For sure, we'll trade cars/karts during one of the events this summer :D.

ecstasy_civic
03-10-2003, 12:44 AM

haha well if we're talking about doing crazy stuff, I can make a base Boxster side out every corner on the roadcourse by taking some interesting lines :D. What I meant by my post was that if you're trying to go fast (taking a classic line around the corners), you're going to run out of power shortly after the apex point (except turn 3 heh). BTW - it takes quite a bit to scare me... too bad u don't have a 2nd seat in the IRL car lol!

For sure, we'll trade cars/karts during one of the events this summer :D.

sweet deal, wanna trade a ride in either car for a run in my civic:rofl: :clap:

bksze
03-10-2003, 12:48 AM
i test drove a 99 or 2000 boxter, and also a 2000 s2k, now if you're going to compare the two in terms of driver feel and respone, i'd have to say, go with the s2k . . . the porsche felt very sluggish the whole time i was driving it and on corners it seemed very reluctant at high speeds, well as high as the speeds could go before the dealers started gettin pissed . . . the s2k on the other is an awesome car, extremely fun to drive,

aesthetics are all subjective but in this category, i would take the porsche on the interior and the exterior

hope that helps

also consider the fact that the boxter felt more roomy to me although i don't think i could stay very long in both those cars with the tops up, one of the original drawbacks of not getting the s2k, i am 6ft tall though

gpomp
03-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Boxster engine sounds better IMO....

Seks
03-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
Boxster engine sounds better IMO....

Nah :D S2000 sounds better...F1-like engine... :)

Seks
03-10-2003, 07:01 AM
This is my opinion:

If you want to be seen as having class and style (ie bling bling $$$$), and having the luxury of heated seats, etc of a car, go with the Boxster.

If you want that nimble and go-kart feeling of a car, and the thought of you sitting in an F1 car, go with the S2000.

gpomp
03-10-2003, 07:47 AM
Would the aftermarket parts for the S2000 easier to get a hold of and maybe even cheaper than the Boxster as well?

rage2
03-10-2003, 09:46 AM
Engine note wise, both the S2K and Boxster have their qualities, and they're both as nice (in different ways).

milesmcewing
03-10-2003, 09:46 AM
giddy up, rage2.

Happy to trade, sorry the IRL car doesn't have a second seat.

We also own some F2000 cars, mine might be a little big for you, but Marks or Wades would work. I will let you know when we have some test days.

Sometimes the 'interesting' line is the fast line too! there are a couple of places you can make time at Race city by not choosing the 'school' line. remind me, I will show you. Good thread so far, interesting to see everyone have an opinion even if they have never driven the cars! LOL

for me, I liked the Boxster because of the mid-range pull, and great balance. You can certainly throw the Honda around further and easier. (yes, I have driven the 2.5, 2.7 and 'S' as well as problably every other Porsche model at the track. s2000 was limited to a stock one, and a supercharged one)

The Honda reminded me of a go-kart, light and nimble. The Boxster would carry more speed into a corner, and load up nicer.

Head to head, these cars seem quite identical at lap times (most US magazine test results), still sticking with my original comment:

If I only had a weekend, I would pick the Honda, any longer and I would choose the Boxster.

As far as maintenance issues go, parts prices are very similar for the two cars (and jeep parts still cost more).

I don't think either model would steer you wrong

California here we come, 3 weeks and counting. We are racing against a PINK supercharged S2000 in Las Vegas.

Cheers
Miles

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Maintenance on any Porsche is extremely expensive. I can't stand Boxter's anyway, so beyond that my opinion is biased. Good luck.

max_boost
03-10-2003, 10:26 AM
To sum it up

S2000=humble/modest track car
Boxster=exotic looking/sexy/better everyday driver

It appears that the S2000 is rated better overall by the one's who have driven and given comparisons from the track......anyway, the idea of driving a Porsche still blows my mind away haha:bigpimp:

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Save your money and get atleast a Carrera.

rage2
03-10-2003, 10:49 AM
turbo or nothing IMO! Max_boost, for your price range, definately go S2K. You will not regret it!

rage2
03-10-2003, 11:07 AM
We also own some F2000 cars, mine might be a little big for you, but Marks or Wades would work. I will let you know when we have some test days.

I'm there!

Sometimes the 'interesting' line is the fast line too! there are a couple of places you can make time at Race city by not choosing the 'school' line. remind me, I will show you. Good thread so far, interesting to see everyone have an opinion even if they have never driven the cars! LOL

haha no doubt. I didn't get to drive the Boxster too much, so I didn't get a chance to try anything other than the classic 'school' line. Plus it wasn't my car, and there were no trophys to be handed out :rofl:. In my 944 I have to take some interesting lines to combat the large amounts of lag the car has. If I take the classic line in that car, there's not enough power to kick the tail out either... turbo doesn't spool till the car straightens out! I'm pretty much WOT before the apex at most corners :D.

kenny
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
California here we come, 3 weeks and counting. We are racing against a PINK supercharged S2000 in Las Vegas.

Cheers
Miles

This one? Haha its the only pink supercharged one I can think of!

LowRiderHD2000
03-10-2003, 01:09 PM
definately go S2K. You will not regret it!

I agree.:thumbsup:

I had a chance to race a Boxster S from a slow roll in the C5 and pulled on him hard. We ran 3-4 times, but never hit a red light.

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 01:13 PM
I've left both the S2K and the Boxster's in the dust with no problem. But if I had to choose...I'd go for the S2k hands down. It looks so much better IMO. And according to the major car mags, drives better, too.

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2003, 01:29 PM

... BTW - it takes quite a bit to scare me... too bad u don't have a 2nd seat in the IRL car lol! ...

McLaren and Minardi have two-seater F1 cars! :D

http://www.geocities.com/phoskyn/Mvc-106s.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/phoskyn/Mvc-107s.jpg

http://nigelmansell.free.fr/actu20011.jpg

http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2003/2003_011_autosport_show/news_2003_011_121.jpg

CRXguy
03-10-2003, 02:23 PM
i dont think rage would fit back there! :D

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
i dont think rage would fit back there! :D

Haha! I've never met rage! :D

Damn, can't link those first two pics, so here they are:

1 of 2

FiveFreshFish
03-10-2003, 02:33 PM
2 of 2

milesmcewing
03-10-2003, 02:38 PM
Minardi actually manufactures these cars, they built the one for Maclaren as well. Sign me up!

$$$$$$$, we could do it like Alesi and Mansell in Montreal a while back, Alesi ran out of fuel and sat on the side pod with his back to the wing. Wear your Velcro underwear!!!

Miles

milesmcewing
03-10-2003, 02:39 PM
interesting way of spelling your name Rage2, I guess it keeps you with a 'secret' identity!

hjr
03-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by LowRiderHD2000

I agree.:thumbsup:

I had a chance to race a Boxster S from a slow roll in the C5 and pulled on him hard. We ran 3-4 times, but never hit a red light.

both these cars are track mobiles. They suck in drags so saying that it is slow from 0-60 or 1/4 or whatever doesnt mean anything. Both the S2000 and the Boxter are meant for the track, in the twisties and shicanes and whatnot. If you want a cheap(er) out of the box drag car get a Vette.

mischief
03-10-2003, 09:54 PM

Where do you get them done then?

rage2
03-10-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Where do you get them done then?

I have a good supply of oil filters at my place. Alpine Autowerks does my oil changes. I change my oil more regularly than suggested.

mischief
03-10-2003, 10:17 PM

I have a good supply of oil filters at my place. Alpine Autowerks does my oil changes. I change my oil more regularly than suggested.

I see. What do you do about the so called "inspections" they are suppose to do with the service?

rage2
03-10-2003, 11:02 PM
oh, I still get those at the dealership. I just do more than usual oil changes.