PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Advertising

Ben
03-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Okay, I can understand how mentioning a shop on here that doesn't pay for advertising is taking away from the ones that do but come on, give me a break, its a car forum, people help each other out when they are in need. "I know a place that can fix your car, but I'm not allowed to tell you"

Someone edited my post in the lambo door section about where to get them, and someone mentioned Decah. Who the hell else in town does lambo doors? From Decah none-the-less. Not any that pay you guys for advertising thats for sure!

I had never heard of the company till 30 seconds before I posted how you can get a hold of them. Shameless... pfft.

This is turning into a big joke how we cant help out fellow car enthusiats because an elite group of sponsors pay for ad space.

I would expect that car enthusiats would help people out however is neccessary. Not fear their posts being deleted cause they name a company that can help them out alot better than the ones who advertise on here.

Last time I checked Tuneroworks doesn't install lambo doors, and even if they could bring in the kit, they would still have to go to that shop I mentioned anyways to get them installed.

Sure, if people are comming on and avertising products with prices and all that stuff without paying, by all means delete or whatnot, but for people who have legitimate questions about products that the "sponsors" are not specializing in, why the heck not recommend a better shop?

I will be surprised if this thread lasts the day, but this is how I feel.

max_boost
03-09-2003, 01:33 PM
Well I've posted up bodyshops, tunershops, all over the place without getting edited.....

Ben
03-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well I've posted up bodyshops, tunershops, all over the place without getting edited.....

One of the reasons I posted this thread.

DUBBED
03-09-2003, 02:43 PM
ben's right....

what the big deal if one of the sponser shops don't provide this service? it's not taking any business away from them!! i could understand if you said call my buddy at this ship cus he'll hook you up with some rims!! but since none of the other shops offer the doors then why not?

littledan
03-09-2003, 03:36 PM
personally i think that a person should be able to post their experiences with any shop regardless of whether or not they are a sponsor. Just because they sponsor the site shouldn't mean that they have control over what is said by members of the site. we should be able to recommend shops that we have dealt with provided it's not shameless advertising... (i.e. come down to x shop for some crazy sales on rims, etc). If the sponsor shops want the business they will have to offer better deals or better service... period.

Ben
03-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Odd, now that thread is closed, yet no reply...

kenny
03-09-2003, 05:57 PM
The only posts that should be editted are those that are blatant advertising from staff such as "come on down to see me at so and so and I'll hook you up". In addition to this, we will edit out contact information for shops that are not sponsors. This is just something we have agreed as moderators to do for the time being as it is fair to the sponsors who are helping provide you car enthusiasts with a place to discuss cars.

Posts about your experience with ANY shop will normally not be editted whether it is in a positive or negative light. There are however, exceptions that we deal with on a case by case basis.

So... in other words, feel free to help out other car enthusiasts by providing the names of places that they can get their work done at but please do not provide full contact information, etc etc. That is something that should be done through private messages. Ultimately, the survival of this forum and its continued growth is up to our sponsors. Support them whenever possible! Thank them! =)

Ben
03-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by kenny
The only posts that should be editted are those that are blatant advertising from staff such as "come on down to see me at so and so and I'll hook you up". In addition to this, we will edit out contact information for shops that are not sponsors. This is just something we have agreed as moderators to do for the time being as it is fair to the sponsors who are helping provide you car enthusiasts with a place to discuss cars.

Posts about your experience with ANY shop will normally not be editted whether it is in a positive or negative light. There are however, exceptions that we deal with on a case by case basis.

So... in other words, feel free to help out other car enthusiasts by providing the names of places that they can get their work done at but please do not provide full contact information, etc etc. That is something that should be done through private messages. Ultimately, the survival of this forum and its continued growth is up to our sponsors. Support them whenever possible! Thank them! =)

Sounds good, but why was the name of the shop edited out as well?

I have noticed HEAVY moderation of this forum over the last few days...

Also, again, if our sponsors (*you guys should make a list and display that list of sponsors*) do not cover what is being discussed, why should it be edited out? I post up looking fr a good place to get a ceramic coating done, someone posts up the name and number of a plcae they had a good experience with, whats wrong with that, its word of mouth advertising and no matter how its done, ALL shops appreciate it.

rage2
03-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Like kenny said, if it's BLATANT advertising, then it'll get edited (name and contact info and all)... no time to tweak every post. There's lots of recommendations of other shops with no contact info... hell even I have posted some. As long as it's not "call so and so at 222-3333 and we'll hook you up" then it's all good.

Originally posted by Ben
Also, again, if our sponsors (*you guys should make a list and display that list of sponsors*) do not cover what is being discussed, why should it be edited out? I post up looking fr a good place to get a ceramic coating done, someone posts up the name and number of a plcae they had a good experience with, whats wrong with that, its word of mouth advertising and no matter how its done, ALL shops appreciate it.

Because we have no idea what everyone sells. What if one of our sponsors gets wholesale price thru topgun and resells it? I have no clue if that's the case or not. I'm trying to be fair to the companies that are contributing to our member's events this summer (remember, all the money from the ads go to YOU guys, the members of this forum!).

We have to weed through 2000 posts a day, so I think you should cut us some slack :).

ecstasy_civic
03-10-2003, 01:44 AM
is speedtech a sponsor? i dont my posts edited for trying to recommend a good service.

kenny
03-10-2003, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
is speedtech a sponsor? i dont my posts edited for trying to recommend a good service.

Currently, as of this post, nope. Feel free to suggest them whenever the opportunity arises, but please no contact info, etc. Take that to private message.

ecstasy_civic
03-10-2003, 02:05 AM
ok thnx for clearing that up:thumbsup: as long as i know, tunerworks, import adrenalien and tire craft are the only ones right?

rage2
03-10-2003, 09:51 AM
And dynomotive.

ecstasy_civic
03-10-2003, 11:45 AM
ok:D :thumbsup:

Zephyr
03-13-2003, 07:45 PM
it kinds sucks how gravitydynamics.com can have their store advertisement in their sig and with a link attached too... u should edit that

XylathaneGTR
03-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Yeah...true that.
Thats obvious blatant advertising

95acc
03-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Ok you guys are getting a liitle out of hand here. You are telling me that if i have my shops website address our banner in my sig. that it should be edited? That sounds like a load of crap to me. I can understand that you do not want everyone posting phone numbers ect. But if you have a problem with me supporting my shop by putting an web address in my post...... come on that's pretty shitty. 00civic one of my co-workers just pointed out to me that both of our sig's have been edited. The website address has been removed and just the name of the shop remains. The website is supposed to be for car enthusiasts not for total control of the tuner scene. By doing dumb shit like this you really point people at certain shops and it seems like you are making people shop at only 2-3 tuner stores. Grow up, this website does generate a little bit of buisiness for every shop, but me putting a link in my sig. is not going to take away from the "paid" sponsers.

jdmakkord
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
No I think they were referring to the people that have their shop name, email adress, web adress, what they sell, and "contact me for all of your parts" in their sig.

95acc
03-13-2003, 10:09 PM
Thats fine but all we had was the web address and it was edited.

Zephyr
03-13-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 95acc
Ok you guys are getting a liitle out of hand here. You are telling me that if i have my shops website address our banner in my sig. that it should be edited? That sounds like a load of crap to me. I can understand that you do not want everyone posting phone numbers ect. But if you have a problem with me supporting my shop by putting an web address in my post...... come on that's pretty shitty. 00civic one of my co-workers just pointed out to me that both of our sig's have been edited. The website address has been removed and just the name of the shop remains. The website is supposed to be for car enthusiasts not for total control of the tuner scene. By doing dumb shit like this you really point people at certain shops and it seems like you are making people shop at only 2-3 tuner stores. Grow up, this website does generate a little bit of buisiness for every shop, but me putting a link in my sig. is not going to take away from the "paid" sponsers.

well if you paid to have ur banner up, and everyone else had their banner in their sig without paying, woudln't u care?

rage2 Pocket PC
03-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Ok you guys are getting a liitle out of hand here. You are telling me that if i have my shops website address our banner in my sig. that it should be edited? That sounds like a load of crap to me. I can understand that you do not want everyone posting phone numbers ect. But if you have a problem with me supporting my shop by putting an web address in my post...... come on that's pretty shitty.

Rules are rules, sorry. I'm ALLOWING you to put your shop name on your sig (read the announcement). If you have a banner there, you have MORE exposure than PAID advertisers, which is not fair, simple as that. If you want to put a banner on your sig, feel free to become an advertiser by buying banner space. The money goes back to our members, supporting our members (remember, I PAY FOR THE SERVERS, I PAY FOR THE BANDWIDTH, I DO NOT TAKE ANY MONEY FROM PAID ADVERTISERS, IT GOES TOWARDS A FUND FOR OUR EVENTS).

It's just unfair that companies that are not helping support the scene are pretty much using us for free advertising.

The website is supposed to be for car enthusiasts not for total control of the tuner scene. By doing dumb shit like this you really point people at certain shops and it seems like you are making people shop at only 2-3 tuner stores.

Correct. You are allowed to advertise your company name. We're not forcing people to shop at only 2-3 shops. If you want the premium advertising, buy a banner space. It'll pay for itself quickly, as the paid advertisers have told me so.

Grow up, this website does generate a little bit of buisiness for every shop, but me putting a link in my sig. is not going to take away from the "paid" sponsers.

So become a paid sponsor, and you will understand the position we're coming from. When you see shops that do not pay for advertising, you'll bitch too because they're getting something for free while you're paying for advertising.

rage2 Pocket PC
03-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Thats fine but all we had was the web address and it was edited.

I edited it to "Impressions Auto Designz" (I believe). I did not remove it. You're still getting your name out there. You want your users to have simple access (contact info) to your company, support the members, and pay for a banner. Thank you.

rage2 Pocket PC
03-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
it kinds sucks how gravitydynamics.com can have their store advertisement in their sig and with a link attached too... u should edit that

Thanks for the heads up.

Zephyr
03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
rage, u post with ur iPAQ? it takes mine 2 min just to load beyond's front page on there :rofl:

rage2
03-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
rage, u post with ur iPAQ? it takes mine 2 min just to load beyond's front page on there :rofl:

hehe turn off images and everything else that you don't need. I'm working on an even better template just for PPC :D.

rage2
03-13-2003, 11:29 PM
And nice "avatar" spamming which I have removed. You're pushing your luck 95acc.

CLiVE
03-13-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by littledan
personally i think that a person should be able to post their experiences with any shop regardless of whether or not they are a sponsor. Just because they sponsor the site shouldn't mean that they have control over what is said by members of the site. we should be able to recommend shops that we have dealt with provided it's not shameless advertising... (i.e. come down to x shop for some crazy sales on rims, etc). If the sponsor shops want the business they will have to offer better deals or better service... period.

:werd: I don't think it should be a big deal if I post a name or contact information for a company that provided me with good service. I have no affiliation with them.

I think the situation would be different if I owned, or was employed at that company and was advertising without being a sponsor.

That being said, I respect the moderators decisions/rules. And basically even if you don't agree with it, they have the right to edit what they want.

00Civic
03-14-2003, 01:17 AM
ok great we are advertising our shop. Big Deal we put the link in our sig. It's not like we are saying come shop here and only shope here. We not saying that at all. And just to let you know I worked really hard on our shops site and would like people to see it. The one thing that pisses me off is you guys have no problem when people say this shop sucks don't go here. You keep letting the thread go on and on and on and on. Look at the soundsaround post going on right now. Should I get a free Install. You have no problem with that now do you. We arent saying shop at Impressions but they are saying don't shop at Soundsaround. What's up with that. If you won't let us post the URL for our website. Which is very harmless. Don't let shit like that go on in your forum. This is bullshit. Get over yourselves. Be fare to everyone don't be piss people who are trying to make the industry stronger. And make the people happy that are just making the industry weaker. And for some reason you only hear the shit on this forum. Not hey I just got this installed here and they did a great job. They treated me good and got things done on time. Instead you hear. Don't go hear it's shit. They did this and this and this. Get you shit straight or get out.

rage2
03-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by 00Civic
ok great we are advertising our shop. Big Deal we put the link in our sig. It's not like we are saying come shop here and only shope here.

So what's the incentive for PAYING advertisers then? You seriously can't tell me that it's FAIR that we should allow you to advertise for free while they pay for the advertising. I thought this is a simple concept, I would never have imagined a shop bitching about it.

The one thing that pisses me off is you guys have no problem when people say this shop sucks don't go here. You keep letting the thread go on and on and on and on. Look at the soundsaround post going on right now. Should I get a free Install. You have no problem with that now do you..

Man, I've deleted so many impressions bashing posts that were irrelevant it's not even funny. But when one of soundsarounds customers is getting screwed, don't you think it's fair for them to voice the opinions?

If you won't let us post the URL for our website. Which is very harmless. Don't let shit like that go on in your forum.

Because that's advertising your shop information. If people want to find your shop, look in a phonebook. If you want to have easy access for potential customers, pay for a frickin' banner, very simple concept. If you don't want people bitching about your service, they provide good service. I can't shut people up because they had a bad experience with you or Soundsaround or whatever other shop there is, that's not my job.

This is bullshit. Get over yourselves. Be fare to everyone don't be piss people who are trying to make the industry stronger. And make the people happy that are just making the industry weaker. And for some reason you only hear the shit on this forum.

We are fair to everyone, there's complaints for every shop out there. I will not delete legitimate posts of unhappy customers.

Not hey I just got this installed here and they did a great job. They treated me good and got things done on time. Instead you hear. Don't go hear it's shit. They did this and this and this. Get you shit straight or get out.

There's TONS of complementary posts. Do a SEARCH. Hell I think there are even Impressions ones too.

The rules are simple, EVERY shop abides by them, and the shops that want more pay for banners. I have no clue why you guys are complaining.

rage2
03-14-2003, 01:42 AM
A quick search for impressions, on the first page there are 3 threads complimenting your company.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5806&highlight=impressions
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7428&highlight=impressions
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6124&highlight=impressions

The rest are you guys spamming and getting free advertising off us (most have phone numbers because we just recently implemented the contact info rules).

Enough free advertising, buy a banner, I'm sure you've made more than enough from free advertising over the last 6 months on my dime. Please take this to PM if you wish to continue discussions.

95acc
03-14-2003, 01:52 AM
Easy Mike, calm down.....
Look I am not trying to start any thing here I am just trying to prove a point. I have said it before and i will say it again there is WAY to many negitives here and not enough positives.

It's just unfair that companies that are not helping support the scene are pretty much using us for free advertising.

and this my friend is a load of CRAP!
Beyond is not the "scene"
Beyond is a place for a bunch of people to bitch about shit they don't like.
The "scene" as you put it, is what those of us who work in the industry see everyday. Kids scraping together every cent the have to buy the new hot toy for there car. The "scene" are the people who put on the shows for all of you guys, so that you can come and mock everyones hard work. Not supporting the scene eh?
Who's left in this town that still puts on shows?
It sure as hell is not ANY of your sponsers. A tire shop, Dyno, An american based internet shop, And one local tuner shop. Those sound like great sponsers for the local scene? I don't get it some times guys.

jdmakkord
03-14-2003, 02:09 AM
Why dont you give it up!!! You guys are whining like a couple of fukking little women! If you want to advertise....pay! If you believe that your shop is the "scene"....pay. I know tons of people that peruse these forums day after day, and they may even check a shop that advertises. It would be nice if more reputable shops in town advertised here, but then again, most of them dont need to, because they have enough business otherwise. Funny, the only people I hear bitching about anything right now are you and your sidekick, keep it up, and you might find yourselves trolling around at speed cowboys, because you wont be welcome here anymore!!!

Yours truly
Jdmakkord

95acc
03-14-2003, 02:09 AM
This is not about my shop or that guys shop. And I am not trying to get free advertising from anyone. I am just supporting my shop. I understand all of the bashing posts ect, i can live with that too. The problem i have here now is that you guys like it or not can manipulate the way people think about certain things. You seem to be very picky on what posts you delete and not. I do not feel that is a straight line across the board, i could be wrong this is just how i feel. And i want to apologise for 00civic and his outburst's he can get a little worked up, he just says what he wants and can get arried away. Do and say what you want, I have said my piece for the last time. Beyond can be a good source of info, but in the last while that has not been alot on here that has anything to do with the "scene". I will be on here from time to time to let people know of upcomming events, but other than that I am leaving 00civic to represent Impressions Auto Designz.
Good luck Mike
you'll need it.

jdmakkord
03-14-2003, 02:13 AM
I will be on here from time to time to let people know of upcomming events, but other than that I am leaving 00civic to represent Impressions Auto Designz.
Good luck Mike
you'll need it.

According to the last few posts of yours and 00civics, you guys are doing a great job of representing! lol
I believe someone else needs all of the luck they can get.

rage2
03-14-2003, 02:24 AM
Look I am not trying to start any thing here I am just trying to prove a point. I have said it before and i will say it again there is WAY to many negitives here and not enough positives.

I just posted 3 positives on a quick search, that's on the first page. There are many pages on the search but I didn't think it was necessary to go through them. Obviously, there are a LOT of happy customers with you guys that don't post, but there WILL be poor feedback if there are unhappy customers (and I'm sure all of them will post and whine). I can't fix that, but I do suggest it's taken to PM for both parties.

Beyond is not the "scene"
Beyond is a place for a bunch of people to bitch about shit they don't like.

If that's how you feel, then don't advertise here, and respect our rules.

The "scene" as you put it, is what those of us who work in the industry see everyday. Kids scraping together every cent the have to buy the new hot toy for there car. The "scene" are the people who put on the shows for all of you guys, so that you can come and mock everyones hard work. Not supporting the scene eh?
Who's left in this town that still puts on shows?

Beyond (Fuji specifically) has organized several lapping days for our members. We've opened up a free forum to help people install their stuff, trouble shoot problems. So in a way we're both supporting the scene one way or another.

It sure as hell is not ANY of your sponsers. A tire shop, Dyno, An american based internet shop, And one local tuner shop. Those sound like great sponsers for the local scene? I don't get it some times guys.

Their money goes towards LOCAL track days. The biggest complaint last year was the high cost of attending these driving education events. We're lowering the cost by subsidizing the cost of track/instructor rental with this money. So yes, they are supporting the scene.

Import Adrenelin has a local shop, and they operate locally. They do a lot of american business, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Like I said, if you feel beyond is just a place for people to make fun of you guys, then advertising isn't a great choice for you. So don't advertise here.

Joe Malms
03-14-2003, 03:47 AM
The "scene" as you put it, is what those of us who work in the industry see everyday.

the *scene* is such a gay term.
and if you want to advertise pay for it.

Joe Malms
03-14-2003, 03:49 AM
"#1 Award winning tuner shop in Alberta"

according to whom?

kenny
03-14-2003, 05:00 AM
The problem i have here now is that you guys like it or not can manipulate the way people think about certain things. You seem to be very picky on what posts you delete and not.

We're picky because we don't remove every negative thing said about a shop? Gimme a break. Its called freedom of speech, we like to allow our members to share their thoughts, positive or negative. We delete posts if they are a direct attack on individuals. We DO NOT, and WILL NOT remove posts simply because they talk about a shop in a negative way. Similarly, we DO NOT remove posts that talk about beyond in a negative light if they have some merit.

With that said, we don't sit here 24/7 and monitor the forums. We all have jobs, and things to do. If you don't like beyond, and don't think we contribute to the "scene" then dont post here, and dont advertise here.

but me putting a link in my sig. is not going to take away from the "paid" sponsers.

So when we REMOVED your link and banner from your sig, we didn't take away anything from your shop either, so why are you complaining?

gpomp
03-14-2003, 06:02 AM
The mods can set and enforce the rules anyway they want. If you don't like the way that they run it, no one is stopping you from starting your own...

Ben
03-14-2003, 08:02 AM
Thanks for comming out IAD, looks like you've been told, and told well.

rage2
03-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Any other inquiries can be directed to me in private. There's no need for this to continue.