PDA

View Full Version : weights vs cardio vs alcohol

pitwipe
02-02-2006, 09:36 AM
So I like to have a couple of drinks on a Friday night.. but I also have a work-out on Friday evenings. Typically I do weights on a Friday. Now what I'm wondering is if I should switch to cardio instead?

I realise that alcohol will limit the effectiveness of my work out, but is it more detrimental to weight training or a cardio workout for the 12 hours or so the alcohol is in my system?

Cheers! :)

Mckenzie
02-02-2006, 09:47 AM
According to Mens Health, Alcohol slows down your metabolism and inhibits muscle growth for up to 24 hours. I would say do your weights on saturday and move the cardio to friday. Cardio will increase your metabolism slightly and the alcohol will slightly suppress it. But on saturday when you lift weights, you should be better off as the alcohol wont inhibit your gains and by working out you will be promoting muscle growth without something stopping it.

My .02

calgarygts
02-02-2006, 10:01 AM
How much of a difference is it really going to make? You'll do cardio one day and weights another. I don't think that switching them will see any real noticeable benefits. Do what you want.

TrevorK
02-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
How much of a difference is it really going to make? You'll do cardio one day and weights another. I don't think that switching them will see any real noticeable benefits. Do what you want.

It will not be noticeable unless everything else is perfect.

People need to focus on the basics before they move onto the little details.

pitwipe
02-02-2006, 12:09 PM
I have a good work-out routine, which I shake up every 3 months or so. I'm looking to optimise my Friday work-outs with regard to the fact that later in the evening I'll have a few drinks with friends.

My routine is due for a shake up, and I was looking for some input as to whether cardio or weight training would be less impacted by alcohol.

I can see the logic in McKenzie's post. I'm thinking that cardio followed by a few drinks might still result in a net gain, whereas weight training followed by alcohol might result in zero gain, or even a net loss.

Hakkola
02-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Even if it's low amounts of alcohol? I workout 4-5 times a week and I have a beer about an hour after 2 or 3 of them, I've still gained about 7 pounds since the beginning of Jan. :dunno:

Maybe I'd see more gains without drinking, but you get some good carbs and calories from Beer don't you?

If it's that bad though I'm going to drop the beer drinking all together.

sweetchariot
02-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Beer is terrible on your system if you are training. If you want to drink, have hard liquor like Rye, or Rum and have it with a mixer, prefrebly with soda water or diet pop.

pitwipe
02-03-2006, 10:02 AM
^ why is hard liquor + mixer better than beer? Makes no sense. Unless the mixer is something like crystal-lite, so it has fewer carbs... :dunno:

sweetchariot
02-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Something to do with brewing process, all the hops & Barley, really tough on the metabolism, slows it right down. Also somehow act as a more potent dehydration.

pitwipe
02-03-2006, 11:07 AM
^ Just saw you drive a 635 CSI. That's a great car!

calgarygts
02-03-2006, 11:13 AM
If you're that worried about the unnoticeable gains from switching that workout on friday and saturday, why don't you just not drink? You will not notice any improvements or gains, just do the workouts and you'll get the results. Unless you're trying to periodize your workouts to peak for a specific event, in which case you probably wouldn't be drinking anyways, I wouldn't worry about it.
Sorry if I'm not helping, I just think it's such a silly thing to worry about.

steelo
02-03-2006, 11:26 AM
^ Exactly. Drink and deal with it or don't drink. Realistically you will not notice a difference either way.

pitwipe
02-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I contemplated the not drinking thing, but it's just not for me. Abstinance makes me sad a boy :( I've accepted my dependance and I'm stronger for it :rofl:

Tonight I've decided that after my work out I'll help my friend put new springs and shocks in his M5. Then have a few drinks after :thumbsup:

steelo
02-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Dude, it's ok to have a few drinks once and a while. It's just when you drink all the time that it will have a noticeable impact.