PDA

View Full Version : U of A or U of C Business School?

troymc8
02-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey Everyone,
I have been accepted to U of A and U of C. I am happy, I got two options opened but now I am split. I want to go to Edmonton, because I love Edmonton and everything is close to it. But I want to be a business man when I am older (accountant) something like that. At the University of Calgary, they have accepted me into the business school. While the University of Alberta has accepted me for BSc and Arts degree. However, at the U of A there is no way to go straight into business, and it doesnt matter where I take my first year of education as long as I keep a competitive GPA. But instead of working my ass off, I could go to Grant in Edmonton (save money and easier).
It comes down to this. U of A or U of C?
Which one is better?
Which one would you go with?
and the last one, is the U of C businesss school much different then U of A?

t-im
02-02-2006, 07:01 PM
UC, only because you've already been accepted into business.

troymc8
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I did say that.
That's what my problem is.
U of A there is no direct entrance.
While at U of C I got into business

al-ti2d
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I have the same dilemma...personally, I would stay in Calgary and go to UofC than edmonton....just because edmonton isn't my home, its gay and boring, and its not direct admission into business

unfocus
02-02-2006, 07:04 PM
mount royal..i heard is better than u of c

troymc8
02-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I live north of Edmonton by an hour and a half.
Edmonton and Calgary are both okay to me.
I just want to know
Business is 4 years
I like Edmonton,
Calgary looks safer.

t-im
02-02-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by troymc8
I did say that.
That's what my problem is.
U of A there is no direct entrance.
While at U of C I got into business

Originally posted by t-im
UC, only because you've already been accepted into business.

uh, ok.
So I said I think UC is the best option because you're already accepted into business. It's less stressful then doing the transfer program or having to try to obtain a high, competitive GPA. I mean obviously it's not hard, but alot of people end up slacking off in first year.

al-ti2d
02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by unfocus

do you have a reason supporting your statement..? Or did someone just tell you that because they go to mt. royal?

The way I see it is that going to mt. royal for their 3rd year university transfer program is really hard since they only accept the top of the class that are getting high GPAs so you really have to work your ass off
Getting direct entry into UofC is the best way to go as I see it.

xrayvsn
02-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I am not in the business field, and maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Haskayne school of business is better known than U of A. Your decision would depend on your long-term plans. If you are thinking of staying around Alberta, or even in Canada when you graduate, I imagine the school you go to does not matter as much. In this case, being close to family or your home is nice, so I can see the draw of going to U of A.

Howl
02-02-2006, 07:23 PM
u of c... only because you will have to compete for a seat at u of a, and for business the competition will be tough.

DelSoln
02-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Howl
u of c... only because you will have to compete for a seat at u of a, and for business the competition will be tough.

I agree with this guy. When I went to the U of A a lot of people were competing to get into business. You might as well go into a program you have already been accepted to rather then fight for a spot.

eblend
02-02-2006, 08:03 PM
go uofc business school, its a named school and usually named schools always do better in recognition

AsianCaucasian
02-02-2006, 10:24 PM

Hahahahahahahaha:thumbsdow no

Fez_turbo
02-02-2006, 10:46 PM
u of c.

Just like everyone else says, youve already been accepted and you dont have to worry about transferring and possibly not havin the chance to do so, because it could fill up fast..At the U of C ur guaranteed a spot..so take it..

Plus CALGARY is alot nicer and better than edmonton...wooooo..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...Im going to U of C for my first year next year too. Maybe we could street race at lunch...:rofl: :rofl:

jk..im not like that.:poosie:

al-ti2d
02-02-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Fez_turbo
u of c.

Just like everyone else says, youve already been accepted and you dont have to worry about transferring and possibly not havin the chance to do so, because it could fill up fast..At the U of C ur guaranteed a spot..so take it..

Plus CALGARY is alot nicer and better than edmonton...wooooo..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ...Im going to U of C for my first year next year too. Maybe we could street race at lunch...:rofl: :rofl:

jk..im not like that.:poosie:

we'll get the engineers to build us go-karts and we can race those...haha.

Fez_turbo
02-02-2006, 10:55 PM
^^^

thats so funny because ive been accepted into engineering at the U of C.

:rofl: i will be sure to mention it, and ill give you a call when its all ready.:rofl:

al-ti2d
02-02-2006, 10:56 PM
hahaha NICE!!! :burnout:
lmao

ehos
02-02-2006, 11:41 PM
You can settle for the second best, ie city university. Or you can go to the best, ie PROVINCAL univ.

There's no comparison which is better (University of Alberta), just depends if you want easy or not?

t-im
02-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ehos
You can settle for the second best, ie city university. Or you can go to the best, ie PROVINCAL univ.

There's no comparison which is better (University of Alberta), just depends if you want easy or not?

haha that comment is so ridiculous i'm not even going to respond to that.

In his situation it would be beneficial to go to UC because he's already accepted..that doesn't necessarily mean UC is "easier"

DelSoln
02-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Are you saying that U of C is more recognized then U of A? :confused:

arian_ma
02-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by al-ti2d

we'll get the engineers to build us go-karts and we can race those...haha.

HEY HEY HEY!!!!..........................................we already built the go-karts.....

lol

Maybe you guys can bust the solar car as well
I hear that thing rips :devil:

SteveMo600
02-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Honestly, they're both great schools. I had the same dilemma (although I did the transfer program from Mount Royal and had to choose between Calgary and Edmonton).

I chose to go to the U of A and I love it. It's a great environment and the school is well established with a great campus.

I don't have much info on the U of C but I know quitea few people that are taking business there and they love it.

Both school are great man. Either way you're in great shape. If you have good enough grades to get into U of C now, then there is a really good chance that you'll get into business at the U of A after the 1st pre-professional year.

By the way you HAVE to take a preprofessional year somewhere before you get into business at the U of A. This can be at any instutution and you cannot get into the business school right out of high school.

Great on you for getting accepted to both schools as most students don't have that luxury. In the end, it's really a personal choice as to whether you want to move away and such. In the end, you really can't make a poor choice as both will serve you well.

ehos
02-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by DelSoln
Are you saying that U of C is more recognized then U of A? :confused:

No, the other way around. A provincial/state university is always more recognized than a CITY university.

Don't get me wrong, the U of C is ok, but it is, and it always will be second best to the U of A.

guessboi
02-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Why take the risk and go to UofA?
unless you are from Edmonton and has a place to live.
UofA has a nicer surrounding, more fun on campus IMO. also more international students.
but I did my business at UofC and it wasn't bad at all.
:thumbsup:
plus UofC's business school is branded and it looks better.

suranga
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
If you already have a spot in business at UofC, why even risk going to the UofA? There’s no guarantee that you’ll even be able to get into UofA business after your first year.

mo_money2supe
02-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't think the question should be, which school is better. Obviously, those that went to UA or are in Edmonton are going to say they're better, and same vice versa. A better question, which you've already posed, is at which one will I be more successful at? I honestly don't know the answer to that, but if you're serious about your future, having a good start always helps! What I mean by that is starting off already in the program, that is, at UC.

On the other hand though, and I'm surprised no one who's in Haskayne has mentioned this yet, but you still need to keep up your marks while you're in it! Don't think you can just have the marks to get into the Business school, and slack off for the rest of the 4 years. You still need to keep up your marks, and by that, I mean being competitive during those 4 years too, to be able to get anywhere after the degree.

So to make my already long story shorter, either school you go to, you will still have that stress of knowing your marks have to stay up. Yes, psychologically, you may think you have to do better at UA to get into the program your first year, but at UC, if you don't do well in your first year anyway, you may not hold much of a chance in your future in the program, such as job placement.

As for what I think is a better school, hehe, U of S here in Saskatoon! Hahaha... Way to be contradicting myself, huh?

FishPoo
02-03-2006, 07:20 PM
I had the same question 3 years ago.

UofA or UofC Business.

UofC - You're guaranteed in, so take it, it's tough to get in and if you don't like it, you can always transfer out.

I'd probably mention that Year 1/2 Business is pretty much general courses anyways, so it's better to be in the faculty because you really don't hit concentration courses until later.

- oh btw.. C's get degrees. lol.

I'm j/k, but yea, once you're in, it's nice to get over 3, but at least you're not stressed out doing it.

robpark
02-03-2006, 07:29 PM
As I see it, U of C is the better choice. It is a business school located in a corporate, white collar city. When you finish your degree, the best opportunities will likely be in Calgary. Edmonton does have a MUCH nicer campus, but campus aesthetic should not come before employment potential. Edmonton's workforce is largely blue collar/industrial (I am in no way attaching a pejorative connotation to blue collar, just using it as a descriptor).

Not to mention, a study was completed that listed the 100 best business schools in the world; U of C (Haskayne) was actually on the list.

I go to the U of C but I am not in business.

civicHB
02-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by robpark
As I see it, U of C is the better choice. It is a business school located in a corporate, white collar city. When you finish your degree, the best opportunities will likely be in Calgary. Edmonton does have a MUCH nicer campus, but campus aesthetic should not come before employment potential. Edmonton's workforce is largely blue collar/industrial (I am in no way attaching a pejorative connotation to blue collar, just using it as a descriptor).

Not to mention, a study was completed that listed the 100 best business schools in the world; U of C (Haskayne) was actually on the list.

I go to the U of C but I am not in business.

if u live in calgary just go to uofc unless u got enough $$ to come up to e-town and go to the better school....

Fez_turbo
02-04-2006, 12:08 AM

No, the other way around. A provincial/state university is always more recognized than a CITY university.

Don't get me wrong, the U of C is ok, but it is, and it always will be second best to the U of A.

very biast opinion..... The only reason a Provincial university is more recognized is that people in other provinces and states memorize provinces, and not cities. That would be the only reason the provincial university is more well known. But from what i hear the university of Alberta has one of the top rated engineering programs in canada.

MrPid
02-04-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually...there's another University in a little place called Lethbridge that seems to be kicking the other Universities' of this Province's ass...

http://www.uleth.ca/notice/display.html?b=4&s=4600

Check out the Globe and Mail site that has the actual students of the place ranking them as well...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/reportcard

Use the comparator...

And...they have a business program...

chris
02-04-2006, 12:38 AM
just like people say that sait is better than the u of c. And from what I hear about U of L's science faculty, it sucks a big fat dick

DelSoln
02-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by MrPid

Use the comparator...

Haha we rank higher. Damn crappy food services though. :banghead: Anyways I still think you should go to U of C for many of the reasons robpark said though.

2002civic
02-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by MrPid
Actually...there's another University in a little place called Lethbridge that seems to be kicking the other Universities' of this Province's ass...

http://www.uleth.ca/notice/display.html?b=4&s=4600

Check out the Globe and Mail site that has the actual students of the place ranking them as well...

Use the comparator...

And...they have a business program...
:thumbsup: i chose lethbridge over U of A and am glad i did

MrPid
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by chris

just like people say that sait is better than the u of c. And from what I hear about U of L's science faculty, it sucks a big fat dick

That might be worth considering if he was interested in a science degree...

Ryan1386
02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
The Haskayne School of Business is a rated school. I think it is 88th in the world, which doesnt sound impressive but there are alot of universities out there. Alberta is booming right now and as an accounting student i know it is easy to get a job. But go to U of C it is recognized, U of A is not (in the business school) way

troymc8
02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Hey,
Everyone is replying. Thank you.
Basically, everyone seems to be pointing towards U of C.

I have considered it, but its such a hard decesion.
I was wondering if anyone knew what the Business schools rank from U of C to U of A.
i mean like statistical stats?

civicHB
02-07-2006, 12:37 AM
u of A (http://www.aacsb.edu/members/Omd3/Profile_page.asp?id=2211)

u of c (http://www.aacsb.edu/members/Omd3/Profile_page.asp?id=40353)

maybe that helps