PDA

View Full Version : girls knowledge on cars

Pages : [1] 2

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 02:39 AM
ok i have a little beef, and it's just a little one because i know most girls know shit all about cars but k here goes.

Why is it when i go into a tunershop (not saying any names but it has happened at a couple here in town) and i'm not with a guy i'll get the i'm a stupid retard treatment. Why do they assume i know nothing about cars. Now i know the whole little innocent blonde thing makes it look that way but then when i ask a question and use car related terms, they either stare at my with amazment that i know anything at all, or they'll answer me like i'm in kindergarden with little words.

now i'm not saying i know everything about every single type make and model of car, but i'm an expert on my honda, why can't they just come to relize that i'm not a stupid little blonde girl wanting to make her car look all "pretty":thumbsdow: and i actually know what i'm talking about.

Anyways I'm done now, if only you guys knew what it was like, maybe you do who knows
:burnout:

sexualbanana
03-10-2003, 02:51 AM
i think there's just as many stupid guys who know nothing about cars than there are girls who know everything

sexualbanana
03-10-2003, 02:57 AM
anotehr thing i wanna add is that i think the stores have to account for the people that come in who want to do up their cars, but know nothing. like me for instance, i know enough to get by, but when people start talking compression and shit like that, i'm gonna need someone to lay it down in simple terms. i'd much rather have someone simplify it than have it go right over my head.

though i do understand how frustrating it can be for someone who knows something, and is having it explained to them in elementary terms.

three.eighteen.
03-10-2003, 03:43 AM
so just tell them you know whats up...spout some more numbers/jargon at them...theyll get the picture...

Melinda
03-10-2003, 09:42 AM
Yeah girl, I know what you're talking about. I don't know how many times I've either been completely ignored, treated like a "silly girl" or assumed that I'm someone's girlfriend tagging along when I go out to shops and meets. I've even gotten the "what do you know, you're just a girl" treatment at some of the meets!

Now after about a year or so of fighting and learning ect, I have finally gotten my foot in the door in a couple places and people DO actually see me as having SOME knowledge :) . Hehe don't worry, as long as we keep rebelling and fighting back, we'll eventually be seen as real people in this in little male dominated world ;) :thumbsup:

Melinda

max_boost
03-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Sorry to hear but I guess that is just one of the stereotypes on females in the scene

Anyway, I know enough about suspension/bolt ons/bodykits (my specialty haha) to get by....when it comes to actual turbos, superchargers etc. I'm pretty clueless......

I guess you can say I am more into the aesthetics show side of the import scene.....

max_boost
03-10-2003, 10:19 AM
There are just as many moron guys out there.......I remember when I was in a certain tunershop awhile back, this dude wanted to get an aluminum spoiler on his 88 corolla sedan so he can add more downforce to the car LMAO He ran a 18 in 1/4mile and I remember this individual was told, hey buddy, just get a better car! haha Oh that was gold!

LUDELVR
03-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Dont' all girls just want LED hood squirters and neon lights?? :dunno: oh yah and those little hello kitty things with those little bobbing head characters on their dashes??? hahahahaha :rofl: :rofl:

Ummmm....but yah, what exactly do you know about your car, and what could be done to your car? I'm curious!! Not trying to be a dick or anything.

Fuji
03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Dont' all girls just want LED hood squirters and neon lights?? :dunno: oh yah and those little hello kitty things with those little bobbing head characters on their dashes??? hahahahaha :rofl: :rofl:

Ummmm....but yah, what exactly do you know about your car, and what could be done to your car? I'm curious!! Not trying to be a dick or anything.

Don't you already HAVE all those things in your car already!:rofl: :rofl:

PS: he is a dick :)

SpoonEK9@STRD
03-10-2003, 12:05 PM
just gotta tell the homies whats up... tell um what you want... see how cheap you can get it.. do yo thang...make them drop they pants... and BAM... discounts... who cares about the fokers that work there.

girlRACER
03-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Just curious, is your CRX yellow w/altezza's. I see one at the McDonald's near my house all the time.

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 01:14 PM
oh dear god, every time i see those LED squirters i want to break somthing:banghead: and as for the hello kitty.... news flash i'm white :D

Anyways as for the car I have the usual bolt ons the intake i have reactive exsaust, short shifter, the altezza lights (gen II that i want to get rid of for jdm rear lights) lowered an inch and a half with eibach springs, and 17" motegi mr7's (gunsmoke metal goes really good with the yellow)

Plans for the summer i'm still undecided if i want to go for my kit and hood fenders etc. or an engine swap this year (b16a) but when i go into a shop that doesn't know me they don't even look twice to think i'm an actaul customer and it's annoying, oh well i'll just go spend my money somewhere they actually realize it

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 01:15 PM
ya girl racer i don't work there anymore i was a manager

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 01:23 PM
I think the problems that you encounter in this scene in relation to how you are treated as a female thats into tuning, is partly because of your "colleagues", if you will. Most girls that are involved with cars in one way or another, generally have no idea what's going on. A lot of them are just there because their boyfriends are into it. Some are there for themselves, but just don't have the slightest idea of whats going on. Then there are the few females that DO know whats up when it comes to care.
These are a rare breed.

I only know/have known one girl that knew what she was doing. She has a BAD ass E320. I've never seen an E-Class that looks better than hers. She's somewhat of a stuck up bitch, but hey thats her thing and that's cool.

It's like with Honda's. Most of the people who dislike Honda's/Honda owners, dislike them because the majority of Honda's/Honda owners, are riced out/ricers.

Same with girls in the scene. Most girls in the scene don't know wtf is going on. Then there are the few that do, just like there are some pretty bad ass Honda's out there.

Get what I mean?

XxIntegra_BoixX
03-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Man, I know i'm no woman but when people really show no respect for the women intell. It kinda makes me sick, i mean common "ladies first" genral rule to follow. You would be suprised at how much girls/women know when they're into the whole car scence.

As for the CRX, is that the same one that parks at swiss chalet?

RSeXy
03-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Glowrider
A lot of them are just there because their boyfriends are into it. Some are there for themselves, but just don't have the slightest idea of whats going on. Then there are the few females that DO know whats up when it comes to care.
These are a rare breed.

i first got "into" cars when i started dating MB three years ago...before i initially met him, my friends told me he drove a BMW and back then, being the ricer that i still am ;) i thought to myself, "why is he driving an old person car? why doesn't he have a pimp ride like a civic si?" hahaha...:rofl:

then, after countless hours spent at local tunershops and listening to Sam talk about cars non-stop...i have learned a lot about them, i'm still not an expert, Sam will still call me a ricer, *so what if i like bobble head hello kitty?* LOL...but i've learned to appreciate a well-modded car! :)

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 01:32 PM
I think a lot of girls in the scene right now, are into it for the same reason that the ricers are into it. Because it's the "cool" thing to do right now. It doesn't matter if the car is ugly or not, if it's fast or not. As long as it's not stock, it's cool.

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 01:32 PM
no you must be thinking of a differnet one

RSeXy
03-10-2003, 01:34 PM
I think a lot of girls in the scene right now, are into it for the same reason that the ricers are into it. Because it's the "cool" thing to do right now. It doesn't matter if the car is ugly or not, if it's fast or not. As long as it's not stock, it's cool.

:werd: there are SO many little girls on CP saying how badly they want to be a street racer or dress themselves up like they are import models...hahaha! its all a part of growing up. it was the same in the 50's and 60's when building up muscle cars was in..and all the girls wanted to be the flag person who started the race? haha..i think i watch too much GREASE...:confused:

i think if i didn't meet Sam i wouldn't be into cars as much...and still be a shopaholic and do the usual "girlie" things...but cars are a big interest to him and its rubbed off on me...:thumbsup:

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by RSeXy

:werd: there are SO many little girls on CP saying how badly they want to be a street racer or dress themselves up like they are import models...hahaha! its all a part of growing up. it was the same in the 50's and 60's when building up muscle cars was in..and all the girls wanted to be the flag person who started the race? haha..i think i watch too much GREASE...:confused:

hahaha those are the girls i can't stand ugh but if thats how they want to act than let them it's to bad that 99% of girls are thought of in this way

rsxrsx
03-10-2003, 01:37 PM
CRX crazy,

Don't worry about how people treat you at tuner shops, excuse my language when i say F**K THEM, there is always other places to get your stuff

I am a guy and when i go into these tunershops sometimes they treat me like an asshole, but i don't let that get to me,

look at it this way, F**K THEM, don't let them screw you around, if they act up kick them were the sun don't shine, HAHAHAHA

By the way gumetal MR-7's also look pretty good on black as well as yellow, just had to throw that in there

RSeXy
03-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CRX crazy

hahaha those are the girls i can't stand ugh but if thats how they want to act than let them it's to bad that 99% of girls are thought of in this way

meh. don't let it get to you...these things are trivial...

it doesn't matter who you are, if the shop doesn't know your car knowledge firsthand, they will try to get you to buy stuff you don't need...it happens to a lot of guys. the only thing you can do is keep up on your research before you buy a product. these shops all want your money, they should be competing for YOUR business! :thumbsup:

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 01:58 PM
sorry crx guy no pars for you :tongue:

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 02:00 PM
ya you probably did thats one of the shops that realize that i'm not just a girl

boi-alien
03-10-2003, 02:11 PM
a lot fo the tunershops don't just treat girls that way. they treat their non-regular customers in the same manner. i've had a few experiences. one would always quote me prices way higher than what i could get even if i bought from the company direct off their website. another basically shooed me off telling me i should go look for used parts.

it happens to all of us. and it's unfortunate, but i do have to agree it tends to happen to girls more often than guys.

Melinda
03-10-2003, 02:47 PM
My car is stock, completely stock. But I have my reasons for it being so. I got my car before I knew what a car was and I am a poor student that spends more time on homework then I can really spend working. That and I'm not driving the car I want to be driving so why spend all the money on my car when I just plan on selling it as soon as I can anyways. I'm not a "ricer" girl and like CRX crazy, I feel like kicking someone when I see any sort of LED's (no offense meant to anyone who has them and likes them)

If I had the car I wanted, it would not be a honda, it would be a VW and I have everything figured out for what I plan to do to it once I finally get it but I refuse to be one of the "keyboard racers" and say all this shit that I plan on having and doing on the off chance that it doesn't happen.

I don't claim to know everything about cars by a long shot but I do know my fair share. I'm sure any of you who has sat down with me and had a talk about cars will know that. I'm glad I don't know everything though, it keeps me on my toes and wanting to learn more.

Like RSeXy, I got brought into this scene by a guy friend of mine and I have since stepped away from him and am out on my own. I am in the midst of working with the magazine, helping with most of the shows and stuff this summer, and enjoy getting out and shootin the shit with all you guys and gals at the meets/events/race city.

Hope that answers your question :)

Melinda

ninjak84
03-10-2003, 02:53 PM
Working at a tuner shop takes just as much patience as it would to work at Wal-Mart.
Honestly, for every decent paying customer, they get 100 people asking how much an intake is going to cost, then leaving to go ask another store. :rolleyes:

CRX crazy
03-10-2003, 02:59 PM
i understand and i'm not saying all tunershops, cause i have had some possitive experiences with some ppl that work at them i'm only saying some.

Phats
03-10-2003, 05:12 PM
anyway, you don't have to buy anything from them, if they are a dick, tell them they just made you go somewhere else because they treated you the way they did and take your debit card somehwere else

___2PaC___
03-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

:rofl:

Just show them you know about cars, if not alot some, because they don't have no right to treat you different!

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 05:35 PM
my ex-girlfriend had the same problem. when she was little she always hanged around her older bro, because her dad left their family when her lil sis was born, so she looked at her older bro as a dad type of figure. her older bro loved cars and he eventually got his hands on a IS300, and he tuned everything by hand, designed the turbo, did all the math equations by hand and junk to max the performance. so my x tagged along and tried to learn about cars from her brother.

one night her brother was driving my x's bucket car, and he was hit and killed by a drunk driver. so the IS300 became hers. she told me she wanted to finish the car for her brother and do what he had planned. it was already turbocharged and the engine was upgraded (i'm a newbie to car tech stuff so i sound like a ricer right now). everytime i'm around my gf she knows more about cars then i do, which was kinda cool cuz i learn something at least. one time she entered the car in a hot import nights, and some guys came by and thought it was my car and they were being assholes and trying to be hard and said to my x "hey how come your not posing around the car like a hood ornament?" one of the first time i seen my x turn on her bitch mode on those guys.

my point is that its kinda amazing how society thinks girls are only to play with dolls, while boys play with machines. my x liked cars cuz she grew up with her brother and wanted to do stuff he liked, and it sucks that how society doesn't seem to accept that.

Altezza
03-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
so the IS300 became hers. she told me she wanted to finish the car for her brother and do what he had planned.

Is the car finished? Got any pics of the car? :drool:

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Altezza

Is the car finished? Got any pics of the car? :drool:

i dunno, she moved to NY taking the car with her.... and i lost most of my pictures when i had to reformat the comp.... i'll ask her to send me pics if i remember...

lilboykorea
03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
my ex-girlfriend had the same problem. when she was little she always hanged around her older bro, because her dad left their family when her lil sis was born, so she looked at her older bro as a dad type of figure. her older bro loved cars and he eventually got his hands on a IS300, and he tuned everything by hand, designed the turbo, did all the math equations by hand and junk to max the performance. so my x tagged along and tried to learn about cars from her brother.

one night her brother was driving my x's bucket car, and he was hit and killed by a drunk driver. so the IS300 became hers. she told me she wanted to finish the car for her brother and do what he had planned. it was already turbocharged and the engine was upgraded (i'm a newbie to car tech stuff so i sound like a ricer right now). everytime i'm around my gf she knows more about cars then i do, which was kinda cool cuz i learn something at least. one time she entered the car in a hot import nights, and some guys came by and thought it was my car and they were being assholes and trying to be hard and said to my x "hey how come your not posing around the car like a hood ornament?" one of the first time i seen my x turn on her bitch mode on those guys.

my point is that its kinda amazing how society thinks girls are only to play with dolls, while boys play with machines. my x liked cars cuz she grew up with her brother and wanted to do stuff he liked, and it sucks that how society doesn't seem to accept that.

good post:clap:

Dr. Evil
03-10-2003, 06:46 PM
Why is it when i go into a tunershop... i'll get the i'm a stupid retard treatment.
That happened because you went into a "tuner shop". PERIOD. Those posers don't know shit!!!

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

That happened because you went into a "tuner shop". PERIOD. Those posers don't know shit!!!

you live in cali, most of our shops dont know shit, they want to steal money from you. canada probably has honest shops unlike us.

hjr
03-10-2003, 07:00 PM
now this may seem a bit insensitive but in the majority of cases, girls know less about cars then guys. Just look at this forum for example, i dont know for sure but its got to be like 90% male. Of course this is no excuse for being a dick to customers. If a person is completely ignorant of cars, or a tuning guru, they should really have the same (or at least close too) treatment. Cause when it comes down to it all of our money is worth the same. My $5 isnt worth more than your $5 cause your a girl.

OK, Having said that, in this case you dont have to stand for any shit. If somebody gives you a hard time, flip em the bird and whatever else comes to mind.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Im going to be realistic. Lets face it- almost all girls have no intrest in cars at all. This is not a mixed sex hobby, its a male dominated hobby.
I have been in the business for over 5 years and i have met 4 (four) women that i can chat cars with. As a shop owner, i will ask questions to get a feel of how much a customer knows, and i'll go from there. That goes for both sexes.
Its like writing an essay. Expect that your audience knows NOTHING. If i assume you know a ton, you'll walk out scratching your head knowing no more that what you came in with. I am here to inform my customers of the products that i sell.
I'll agree that theres a difference between informing a customer and treating them like an idiot or being condesending. Thats not me.

Originally posted by ninjak84
Working at a tuner shop takes just as much patience as it would to work at Wal-Mart.
Honestly, for every decent paying customer, they get 100 people asking how much an intake is going to cost, then leaving to go ask another store. :rolleyes:
amen brother! Its so frustrating spending hours with a customer only to have him go down the street where whatever product is $5 cheaper. No one wants to pay for knowledge and good service these days.

Dr. Evil
03-10-2003, 07:03 PM
you live in cali, most of our shops dont know shit, they want to steal money from you.
Thanks for backing me up with 100% truth:werd:

I went into a shop and they didn't carry any engine mods beyond aluminum radiators. They had to look at a catalog whenever I asked them about something, and they didn't have anything in stock. I brought in measurements, parts and the actual car I was trying to mod (had my shit together)... and every question was answered with "well, I guess you'd have to check the mfgr's Web site" or "I've got a friend that works for X company, come in next week and I'll give you his # - he knows all about this stuff".

I walked in expecting to pay $2000 cash for a list of mods I wanted. I left with a $20 air freshener:thumbsdow

True, the majority of females don't have in-depth car knowledge... but if I can't deal with tuner shops then WHO CAN?!?!?!!?

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
Im going to be realistic. Lets face it- almost all girls have no intrest in cars at all. This is not a mixed sex hobby, its a male dominated hobby.

thats the kind of thinking that creates obstacles and problems for humans. we think because everyone else is doing it is a guy, so girls for sure wont be able to do it or whatever. what it comes down is what kind of car you have, not what kind of driver you are.

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 07:06 PM
$20 air freshener? Must be really bad ass...

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

Thanks for backing me up with 100% truth:werd:

I went into a shop and they didn't carry any engine mods beyond aluminum radiators. They had to look at a catalog whenever I asked them about something, and they didn't have anything in stock. I brought in measurements, parts and the actual car I was trying to mod (had my shit together)... and every question was answered with "well, I guess you'd have to check the mfgr's Web site" or "I've got a friend that works for X company, come in next week and I'll give you his # - he knows all about this stuff".

I walked in expecting to pay $2000 cash for a list of mods I wanted. I left with a $20 air freshener:thumbsdow

True, the majority of females don't have in-depth car knowledge... but if I can't deal with tuner shops then WHO CAN?!?!?!!?

maybe u ran into wrong ones, but there is a difference between a repair garage and a tuner garage. best ones i been to are like Area 51 in City of Industry, they are like major car modifiers and some of their works were seen in magazine, i think that red sentra SE-R on import tuner was one of theirs. car tune sports in City of Industry is good too, they specialize in imported JDM motors (and they have a EVO V, Skyline R32)

jaylo
03-10-2003, 07:41 PM
Next time you go, just act cool and make sure you did a lot of research about the product that you are looking for so you can prove to them that you definitely know your business. Believe me some shops would treat you like a walking bank and will try to rip you off if you don't know your stuff.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 07:45 PM

thats the kind of thinking that creates obstacles and problems for humans. we think because everyone else is doing it is a guy, so girls for sure wont be able to do it or whatever. what it comes down is what kind of car you have, not what kind of driver you are.
I mentioned nothing of brand preference or how good of a driver you are :dunno:
So, you are saying to me that girls cant do well in automotives because guys wont let them? BS. If you want to do well in automotives APPLY YOURSELF.
I'm not going to stop you, and neither is anyone else on this site.
Being an enthusiast has nothing to do with how well you can drive.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
Next time you go, just act cool and make sure you did a lot of research about the product that you are looking for so you can prove to them that you definitely know your business. Believe me some shops would treat you like a walking bank and will try to rip you off if you don't know your stuff.
This seems to be a common mentality.
NEWSFLASH GUYS!! WE ARE NOT HERE TO SCREW YOU:banghead:

Glowrider
03-10-2003, 07:54 PM
I worked at a shop when I was younger. Man, the MORONS you have to deal with on a daily basis is amazing. People bringing back headers because they don't come with instructions, but don't want to pay for installation...come on now. How hard is it? Stock set off, aftermarket set on.

AutodreamMarvin
03-10-2003, 08:19 PM
hey, do you visit edmonton often?
I always see your car described like your's with a speedville sticker in the back.

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 08:57 PM

So, you are saying to me that girls cant do well in automotives because guys wont let them? BS. If you want to do well in automotives APPLY YOURSELF.

did i say anything about brands or how good a driver? no, what the hell are you talking about, read my post right then talk. u said it was a male dominated hobby, and u said girls dont like it. well thats from ur view since u seem to think girls only do this and guys do that.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 09:12 PM

did i say anything about brands or how good a driver? no, what the hell are you talking about, read my post right then talk. u said it was a male dominated hobby, and u said girls dont like it. well thats from ur view since u seem to think girls only do this and guys do that.

Read your post RIGHT? You typed it. Its not my fault if i cant interpret your posts properly.

what it comes down is what kind of car you have, not what kind of driver you are.

While we are reading re read my post.

This CLEARLY states that i dont care what sex you are, APPLY YOURSELF IN AUTOMOTIVES IF YOU HAVE INTREST.
Wether you like it or not, most women dont have intrest in autos as a hobby. ITS A FACT, so dont go off putting words in my mouth like "well thats from ur view since u seem to think girls only do this and guys do that. "
Find me a guy who doesent think its cool if his woman likes the automotive hobby. Im no exception.
If you cant handle FACTS dont read my posts.
Thanks

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 09:30 PM

So you accused me of saying something about brand names or driver style? i said nothing of that.

If you want to do well in automotives APPLY YOURSELF.

" its a male dominated hobby." then why did u say this than, if u want ppl to apply themselves u dont need to tell them its males only.

i didn't mention about driving, i said type of driver (thus male or female)

you are the one putting words in my mouth, assuming i said all this.

"what it comes down is what kind of car you have, not what kind of driver you are. "

"kind of car you have" Translation: the power yadda yadda, what u did to it.

"driver you are" Translation: Sex, ethnicity, style whatever.

i'm not trying to argue, but u seem to want to argue all about this. i just chopped up everything to clear it up.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Arguing with you is pointless. you make no sense.
Just to clear it up
Fact: almost all people into automotives are male
Fact: i welcome females into the automotive hobby/industry
Im done.

Zephyr
03-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Arguing with you is pointless. you make no sense.
Just to clear it up

right. usually those who dont know what to say always go "shut up." "well i didn't mean it like that!" "you make no sense" "go away dont talk to me!" and then back it up with "facts" that have no hard evidence to back it up. you have ur opinion, i have mine, but dont accuse me of stuff i didn't say.

back to the topic. i seen a lot of girls here in california start tuning up their cars. some are just the stickers and junk, but i actually seen a lot of a good cars. example: import tuner's 2002 january cover is a accord with a full Skyline R34 conversion.
http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord01.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord04.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord09.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord06.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord05.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord08.jpg http://www.importtuner.com/features/0201it_playinaccord07.jpg

LUDELVR
03-10-2003, 09:54 PM

You must be mistakened man, the bobbing head is that of your mom's while she's giving me a madd hummer, while the hello kitty is just her shaved poon and as for the LED lights, that's just the reflection that her face makes when the lights of oncoming vehicles hit her eyes when she's looking up..that is until I hit your mom's eyes with a little on-cumming of my own!!:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

And I'm not a dick....I'm a BIG DICK!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

jaylo
03-10-2003, 10:05 PM

This seems to be a common mentality.
NEWSFLASH GUYS!! WE ARE NOT HERE TO SCREW YOU:banghead:

Not saying that every shop is here to rip you off, but at some point shops do take advantage when the opportunity is there. Some would help you through it some would just throw off a ridiculous estimate hoping you would fall to it.

THREE40SEVEN
03-10-2003, 11:30 PM

right. usually those who dont know what to say always go "shut up." "well i didn't mean it like that!" "you make no sense" "go away dont talk to me!" and then back it up with "facts" that have no hard evidence to back it up. you have ur opinion, i have mine, but dont accuse me of stuff i didn't say.

[/IMG]
:thumbsup: You're an allstar! Good one!
Why dont you do me a favour and recap your position on our discussion.
This is what i have so far:
Me:Chicks who like cars are cool
You: Chicks who like cars are cool.

I cant argue with you because for some reason you are arguing the same fucking point!
Why dont you read my posts and find where i said that i didn't welcome women into the hobby.
Was it the FACT that i said that almost all car enthusiasts are male?
I guess that makes me a sexist pig eh?

Just in case you need help:

fact ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fkt)
n.
Knowledge or information based on real occurrences: an account based on fact; a blur of fact and fancy.

Something demonstrated to exist or known to have existed:

Thanks again for wasting my time.

lammer
03-11-2003, 12:49 AM
haha, not all girls are treated like that..

there are some poeple in this world that give you shit like this

"Shit man i wanna soup up my car, you see that? holy shit thats a fucking sweet ass body kit, you see hsi spoiler? like 3 decks man thats freaking awesome!!" "eww that body kit is so ugly, it has no scoops and shit, it looks so plain" "HOLY CRAP LOOK AT THOSE LIGHTS, THEY ARE LIKE SILVER AND RED!! damn!! i want some of those!" "hey free stickers, im gonna throw some of this on my car"

thats hilarious!!

Mckenzie
03-11-2003, 09:29 AM
I think its pretty much the same analogy as a a female walking into the dealership. Females are unfortunately stereotyped into the class of people who know nothing about cars. This class of people also includes the rich kids who drive brand new cars which mom and dad pay for. I had a buddy who was going to take his audi to Mr. Lube to see why the oil light was on. He then asked how to check the oil, and how to put it in the car.... I was like "WTF"....

The techs or salesmen see these people as vulnerable, and they think they either have to go back kindergarten lingo to explain something, or they have to invent new terms, new claims and new parts just to make a sale.

So beware the next time you walk into the dealership for an oil change and they try to sell you muffler bearings! :thumbsup:

Glowrider
03-11-2003, 11:09 AM
This class of people also includes the rich kids who drive brand new cars which mom and dad pay for

Damn, I guess I don't know anything about cars then.

sexualbanana
03-11-2003, 11:13 AM

You must be mistakened man, the bobbing head is that of your mom's while she's giving me a madd hummer, while the hello kitty is just her shaved poon and as for the LED lights, that's just the reflection that her face makes when the lights of oncoming vehicles hit her eyes when she's looking up..that is until I hit your mom's eyes with a little on-cumming of my own!!:poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

And I'm not a dick....I'm a BIG DICK!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ooh, snap!
:rofl:

Mckenzie
03-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Damn, I guess I don't know anything about cars then.

C'mon....

I dont mean to say every person who has a car bought for them knows nothing about them. I am just pointing out the stereotypes of some people who are looked upon as they have no knowledge of an automobile. I know many people who have never spent a dime on their car who have knowledge beyond my knowledge. I am generally refering to the ignorant type of person who has no appreciation for something that was bought for them, which in turn makes them not care about things like oil changes, tune-ups and routine maintenance items, because when it breaks, they will just get their mom and dad to pay for it.

Don't take what I said as an insult.... because it is not. It was a general comment based on personal experiences with people I know who intenionally neglect maintenace on the grounds that the repair cost will not come out of their pocket.

:burnout:

girlRACER
03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
I'm a HUGE car enthusiast and I LOVE cars and I could talk about them forever.

Frankly, I could care less about what guys knew or thought about my knowledge of cars. I wouldn't find it insulting. In fact, I really appreciate someone who can take something complex and explain it to me in simple terms. Even if I did understand what they were talking about, I know that I don't know everything there is to know about cars and perhaps I could learn something new that I didn't know before.

At the same time I see your frustration. If you take it from a feminist point of view, the guy will seem like he is trying to put you on a lower intellectual level. However, if you approach it with an open mind perhaps the guy really had good intentions. I don't think it was a personal attack. :dunno: But I hope you were able to find what you were looking for at other shops.

Just my $.02

Fuji
03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Heres a bit of math I learned:

hot girls + hot cars = DAMN SEXY!

GTS Jeff
03-11-2003, 03:28 PM
yesterday, a girl asked me about a piece of wire i had. i explained that "i used it to short the connectors of the ecu diagnostic module to obtain the ecu diagnostic codes".

i got a blank stare.

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 03:30 PM

haha gotta love it :bigpimp:

calarina
03-11-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't know a whole lot about the automotive industry, but I know enough to understand. When I walk into most tuner shops, I feel like I'm being discriminated against, because for one, I'm usually the only girl in there. I'm glad of the fact that there's more girls out there getting involved in the automotive industries. I'm still learning, and will continue to learn for a very long time.

Ben
03-11-2003, 03:38 PM

If they are dumb as a post it pretty much cancels those out.

three.eighteen.
03-11-2003, 03:39 PM

yeah i saw this tite silver mitsu eclipse (stock body, but hell them eclipses look nice) w/ fmic and exhaust as far as i could tell, probably some other crazy shit under the hood...then i saw the hot girl driving it...now thats a real woman! :hitit:

Altezza
03-11-2003, 03:39 PM

Girls who know a lot about cars and who can drive a stick-shift get extra points in my books.

three.eighteen.
03-11-2003, 03:45 PM

Girls who know a lot about cars and who can drive a stick-shift get extra points in my books.

nah...ive seen plenty of girls that can drive stick...the real points come in when they can heel-toe and drift :poosie:

GTS Jeff
03-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

nah...ive seen plenty of girls that can drive stick...the real points come in when they can heel-toe and drift :poosie: tsk tsk such high expectations...as ive said before...all i want is a girl that can appreciate a good downshift!

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
tsk tsk such high expectations...as ive said before...all i want is a girl that can appreciate a good downshift!

he he i can downshift do i fall under the catagory :tongue:

three.eighteen.
03-11-2003, 03:57 PM

he he i can downshift do i fall under the catagory :tongue:

only if includes a rev-match of some sort babe...:D

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 04:01 PM

only if includes a rev-match of some sort babe...:D

thats so easy ..... yeah i'm in the catagory ...... of what though:clap:

Glowrider
03-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Are guys in Calgary gay? Here, when a girl walks into a "shop" or whatever, she usually gets hounded by all the guys.

GTS Jeff
03-11-2003, 04:05 PM

thats so easy ..... yeah i'm in the catagory ...... of what though:clap: u just created a new category of hot girls that can downshift well :D

so what else are u good at? :poosie:

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 04:06 PM
u just created a new category of hot girls that can downshift well :D

so what else are u good at? :poosie:

we'll keep that my secret thankyou:thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
03-11-2003, 04:07 PM

we'll keep that my secret thankyou:thumbsup: that good hey?

Ben
03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Are guys in Calgary gay? Here, when a girl walks into a "shop" or whatever, she usually gets hounded by all the guys.

Thats cause in america, people are growing tired of their sisters and are now branching outside the yard.

ninjak84
03-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben
If they are dumb as a post it pretty much cancels those out.

Not a chance man!
You gotta watch Mischief 3000 before you say something like that :D

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ben

Thats cause in america, people are growing tired of their sisters and are now branching outside the yard.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ben
03-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84

Not a chance man!
You gotta watch Mischief 3000 before you say something like that :D

Sorry, I am firm in my belief, A girl has to have intellect, if not, shes just excess baggage. I'm not a F&C kind of guy.

Glowrider
03-11-2003, 05:02 PM

Aw, that was cute.

But it still doesn't answer my question.

Melinda
03-11-2003, 05:05 PM
yesterday, a girl asked me about a piece of wire i had. i explained that "i used it to short the connectors of the ecu diagnostic module to obtain the ecu diagnostic codes".

i got a blank stare.
In short you used it to find out what was wrong with your car...

Trust me, there are quite a few guys who'd give you the same blank stare...

Mel

Ben
03-11-2003, 05:05 PM

Aw, that was cute.

But it still doesn't answer my question.

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Glowrider
03-11-2003, 05:08 PM
Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

Neither does that.

Ben
03-11-2003, 05:37 PM

Neither does that.

Alright,

CANADA, is NOT SanFransisco, Nor are all Canadians Gay, we just have more class and sophistication than to flood in on a woman like a bunch of dogs on a rib roast.:D

Glowrider
03-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah I can clearly see that, going by what all the girls in this thread are saying.

Dr. Evil
03-11-2003, 05:56 PM
when a girl walks into a "shop" or whatever, she usually gets hounded by all the guys.
I think that is part of the problem (mentioned WAAAAAYY back in the original post) - the employees act differently & probably treat women like they see other guys do in the porn they watch after work...

Fuji
03-11-2003, 06:10 PM

nah...ive seen plenty of girls that can drive stick...the real points come in when they can heel-toe and drift :poosie:

Problem with that. 95% of the people driving stick can't even heel toe. of that 5% only 1% can heel toe well consistently. Of that 1% only a handful of guys/girls can do both successfullly at the same time without putting their car into the wall. :dunno:

Would be cool but not really that feasible ;) :D

Fuji
03-11-2003, 06:16 PM

thats so easy ..... yeah i'm in the catagory ...... of what though:clap:

you can rev match? :eek: :drool: - man.. ALL of the girls I have driven with just force it into gear and munch the shit out of everything :(

three.eighteen.
03-11-2003, 06:26 PM
:werd: soon she'll be telling us about left-foot braking, drop throttle oversteer and apex turning...

Altezza
03-11-2003, 06:44 PM

you can rev match? :eek: :drool: - man.. ALL of the girls I have driven with just force it into gear and munch the shit out of everything :(

So ya like it rough, eh? :D :D :D

Fuji
03-11-2003, 06:46 PM

So ya like it rough, eh? :D :D :D

No... :guns: well ok sometimes... :rofl: :rofl:

GTS Jeff
03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

In short you used it to find out what was wrong with your car...

Trust me, there are quite a few guys who'd give you the same blank stare...

Mel

haha i know. i just thought i would put in an example to further a sexist stereotype.

Originally posted by Ben

Alright,

CANADA, is NOT SanFransisco, Nor are all Canadians Gay, we just have more class and sophistication than to flood in on a woman like a bunch of dogs on a rib roast.:D

hahahahahaha i sometimes do.

Problem with that. 95% of the people driving stick can't even heel toe. of that 5% only 1% can heel toe well consistently. Of that 1% only a handful of guys/girls can do both successfullly at the same time without putting their car into the wall. :dunno:

Would be cool but not really that feasible ;) :D

wow i feel so elite reading that!

Smartiepants
03-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Yeah so special heel-toe, most people don't even know what that is, so much work to do driving around in rush hour though, but of course I've had people in my car that didnt know there was such a thing other than an automatic. I let a girl I know sit in the driver seat and she actually asked what the 3rd pedal was for.

CRX crazy
03-11-2003, 10:24 PM

there poor poor cars how could they do that to them....... but admit you like the roughness:rofl:

Mckenzie
03-11-2003, 10:56 PM

lol..... I had a conversation with a guy threatening to *whoop* my legend in his V6 Mustang by "double-clutching" while up shifting. I was like "WTF are you talking about pal..... double-clutching is a downshifting technique...... dont beleive everything you hear in the fast n furious..." :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
03-12-2003, 12:06 AM
You know why girls get stereotyped about not knowing anything about cars? It's because they pull up in stock rides with diamond altezzas...believe it or not most people who work at tunershops know a hell of alot about cars and don't feel like wasting 30 minutes out of their day talking about how the new ractive intake will give you 25hp

GTS Jeff
03-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

lol..... I had a conversation with a guy threatening to *whoop* my legend in his V6 Mustang by "double-clutching" while up shifting. I was like "WTF are you talking about pal..... double-clutching is a downshifting technique...... dont beleive everything you hear in the fast n furious..." :thumbsup:

actually dbl clutching can be used in upshifts as well. its not a performance technique, but it has its uses.

Glowrider
03-12-2003, 12:16 AM
It's because they pull up in stock rides with diamond altezzas

As if a modified car with Altezza's is any better.